Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre-Match: Barcelona v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final Wed 1st May 20:00KO

Read 15672 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Pre-Match: Barcelona v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final Wed 1st May 20:00KO
      Reply #69: Apr 29, 2019 05:27:05 am
      I can't wait and it will be a nice release from the stress of the Premier League, well you know what I mean.  ;)

Saw this and just loved it:

That's F***ing brilliant!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Re: Pre-Match: Barcelona v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final Wed 1st May 20:00KO
      Reply #70: Apr 29, 2019 10:21:17 am
      One thing I feel certain of in regard to the options for our XI if Bobby is out....is that Gini will be in the starting XI.

The starting 11 plus 1, 2, 3, or 4 fringe players would probably be well drilled on what to do on the pitch by now. So no worries here.

But keeping discipline on the job at hand is one thing. The challenge is Barca have at least two players who play by feel in Suraez and Messi. That will take up a handful of attention from some of the lads. Let's hope we can cope with the dynamism.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #71: Apr 29, 2019 10:25:44 am
      Reckon they will go 4-4-2 at Anfield

I was thinking with their 442, they could bring Dembele in and have some real pace out wide where they can exploit the space left by our full backs as well as playing Coutinho, Suarez and Messi.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #72: Apr 29, 2019 10:36:35 am
      I'm expecting us to go there and beat them 3-1 and we'll maybe have a 1-1 back at Anfield.

We're a better team than Barcelona and if we turn up with the right attitude we'll win.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #73: Apr 29, 2019 10:52:21 am
      I'm expecting us to go there and beat them 3-1 and we'll maybe have a 1-1 back at Anfield.

We're a better team than Barcelona and if we turn up with the right attitude we'll win.

Pretty much how I see it JD.

Messi aside we’ve handled better players through the season so they should hold no fears for us.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Re: Barcelona v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final Weds 1st May 20:00KO
      Reply #74: Apr 29, 2019 10:57:56 am
      I do think that Barcelona will target TAA from the opening whistle, I think he will know this, and will be ready.
      Need to watch that cross field pass from Messi to Alba. Finds him every time.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #75: Apr 29, 2019 10:59:37 am
      I half expect Coutinho to play no part of this round, especially not at Anfield. Barca clearly don’t have a lot of faith in him and I’m not sure he would be able to hack it mentally at Anfield getting such a bad reception. Hope that doesn’t come back to bite me!

Barca strangely don’t concern me, it was Ajax I was more anxious about us playing.

Bring it on. Right now, we are a better team than Barca. Nullify Messi and a lot of them stand around wondering what to do.

Need Bobby back though, no way can we go into this game with Sturridge or Origi.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #76: Apr 29, 2019 11:14:27 am
      Need to watch that cross field pass from Messi to Alba. Finds him every time.

And then the pull back to Messi. Always the same sh*t... and it always works!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #77: Apr 29, 2019 11:16:41 am
      As far as European prestige goes we are right up there in terms of European Royalty,  Nine finals we have graced coming out five times as Champions
      8 finals isn't it?  Lost in 85, 2007 and last year.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #78: Apr 29, 2019 11:30:33 am
      I wouldn't take Barca lightly. The best player in the world in Messi. Suarez is still a nuisance alongside one of Coutinho, Dembele or Malcolm.

They are champions of their country and have been able to nurse Messi the last few weeks too.

They rarely fail to win at the Nou Camp so any result we get there would be an achievement. We had this last year before the final against Madrid. 'We're better than them etc...'

These teams find a way to win and again Barca will do anything it takes, fair, illegal or somewhere in between they don't care.

We could blow them away but more likely this will be very tough, frustrating and nervy.

This has to be our priority for now with the league situation looking beyond us.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #79: Apr 29, 2019 11:34:32 am
      I have a wee cheeky feeling, this could be a crazy game.

Im hoping our superior defense proves the difference, as the attacks are obv. both bloody awesome.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #80: Apr 29, 2019 12:12:46 pm
      8 finals isn't it?  Lost in 85, 2007 and last year.

8 and a half....we should've been in the final in '65 but Inter mugged us..so I'm counting that as a harrrrf...
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #81: Apr 29, 2019 12:17:49 pm
      I think we should swamp them. Salah as the lone striker. With..

Allison

TAA...Matip...Gomez...VV D...Robbo

Hendo...Gini...Keita...M illy.

Salah

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #82: Apr 29, 2019 12:20:25 pm
      I was thinking with their 442, they could bring Dembele in and have some real pace out wide where they can exploit the space left by our full backs as well as playing Coutinho, Suarez and Messi.

Depending on the 1st leg score they may go for 4 midfielders such as busquets, vidal, rakitic and arthur with messi and suarez up front
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #83: Apr 29, 2019 12:29:30 pm
      Dembele scares the sh*t outta me.

When it clicks that kid can do anything........
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #84: Apr 29, 2019 12:33:34 pm
      I think we should swamp them. Salah as the lone striker. With..

Allison

TAA...Matip...Gomez...VV D...Robbo

Hendo...Gini...Keita...M illy.

Salah

Can quickly become attacking with Sadio on for Gomez...Bobby and Shaqiri later if circumstances demand it..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #85: Apr 29, 2019 01:12:26 pm
      If Firmino isn't fit I'd go with a diamond as someone said above I wouldn't be confident going there with Danny or Origi.

Allison

Trent   Matip     Van Dijk     Robertson

Fabinho

Henderson           Milner

Keita

Salah    Mane
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #86: Apr 29, 2019 01:47:26 pm
      If Firmino isn't fit I'd go with a diamond as someone said above I wouldn't be confident going there with Danny or Origi.

Allison

Trent   Matip     Van Dijk     Robertson

Fabinho

Henderson           Milner

Keita

Salah    Mane

Yea I'd go with this formation if Bobby's not fit. Only difference would be that I'd prefer Gini instead of Milner - he's more versatile and can attack/defend from mid more so than Milner. He's featured more than Milner this year and looks more composed - Milner has looked vulnerable at times, which we cannot afford against Barca.

But like the formation, not sure if Klopp has played this before?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #87: Apr 29, 2019 01:56:27 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

When I thought about it, it sounded pretty arrogant, but I've realised it's just realistic.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #88: Apr 29, 2019 02:05:23 pm
      I'm sure firmino will play. Klopp said he was confident he will be OK. Need him100% though. Messi has said this is the one he wants over any all season. Put the the wee beardy gnome out at start. Show him we not guna stand round and admire him. Stuck into him straight away
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #89: Apr 29, 2019 03:54:06 pm
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #90: Apr 29, 2019 03:57:38 pm
      I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

When I thought about it, it sounded pretty arrogant, but I've realised it's just realistic.
      Think that remains to be seen; Wednesday at 10 pm will determine which.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #91: Apr 29, 2019 04:16:19 pm
      Its one of those games which is almost impossible to call, it totally depends on how well our defence copes with Suarez and Messi and how good they play. Overall over 2 legs I'm fairly confident we can win as we have the better team plus I'm a lot more happy playing them over 2 legs than in the final.

In the other semi final I'd much rather have Spurs than Ajax win because you just know that Spurs will choke whereas Ajax have that youthful ignorance/arrogance which is very dangerous. I also dislike the Dutch league clearing their schedule for Ajax, I think that's bullshit and a very unfair advantage to them, but Spurs only need one more point to secure top 4 I think to not a major issue.

Quick Reply