Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Barcelona?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (2.1%)
      Joel Matip
      31 (32%)
      Andy Robertson
      39 (40.2%)
       Fabinho
      7 (7.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (1%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (8.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (4.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: May 05, 2019 09:58:28 pm

Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 40707 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #851: May 02, 2019 12:15:43 pm
      The team that had a chance yesterday will be the team that starts at Anfield.

Trent back in, Firmino back fully fit. Milner   to make way for Henderson.

At worst we need to be 1-0 up at half time then get at them in the second half. Any goal for them which is highly likely then that will be a killer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,440 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #852: May 02, 2019 12:16:24 pm
      and Milner and Salah should have scored in the second, then we'd be looking at 3-3. It comes down to being clinical in front of goal and we haven't had that since Torres, even Suarez was a bit sloppy for us, although seems much more focussed these days.
      We score a lot of goals because we create a hell of a lot of chances but in Europe you normally don't create a lot of chances, especially not as you get close to the end game, so we are fu**ed until we get a handle on that.

Exactly
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #853: May 02, 2019 12:17:39 pm
      It comes down to being clinical in front of goal and we haven't had that since Torres

Yet Salah has smashed the stats Torres set...
      I don’t think you get 44 goals in a season without being clinical.

It was an off game, on another day our front 3 would have scored them chances.
      You can’t be spot on every game, it’s impossible.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #854: May 02, 2019 12:21:00 pm
      Well, sleep didn’t help. Still mad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #855: May 02, 2019 12:26:46 pm
      We didn't take our chances, they did.
      That's it really.

Oh, and the ref, not booking a foot up challenge from Suarez, at least 1 scissor tackle and a couple of shirt pulls to stop us breaking.
      The assault by Messi on Fabinho looks different from different angles, but the fact is he played for the free kick and got it. Then came his genius.
      I'm not blaming the ref for our loss, I'm just pissed off that Barca get away with so much.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #856: May 02, 2019 12:32:19 pm
       :ontopic:
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #857: May 02, 2019 12:32:42 pm
      Still can't believe we lost that 3-0.

We've been spoilt this season, and a defeat feels tough to take, especially one so heavy. When did we last concede 3 goals without reply? Probably not this season.

Gut feeling is this is too tough. Barcelona are heavy favourites, and are likely to score at Anfield. Just seems to be the way our luck is... but we'll sure give it a go. We have the capability to score goals on our night. Hoping the Anfield faithful make this a night like never before!! Put the fear into them, and get right at them.

Suarez was on the edge last night, and Messi was riled up and left to cheating his way throughout the game. We can have these.

Thought Klopp got a few things wrong last night, but he's got the chance to put it all right again yet. Big task, but we have hope.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1784 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #858: May 02, 2019 12:34:29 pm
      Hard one to take last night, we dominated them and created plenty chances.

Could have had 3 or 4 on another day.

their 1st goal was genius, but VVD could have done better.

2nd goal, touch of fortune

3rd goal, Genius free kick, pundits slagged the goalie a wee bit, but ffs. it was right in top corner.]

Early goal 2nd leg, were back in it.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #859: May 02, 2019 12:44:23 pm
      Last night reminded me of something Bob Paisley once said about football: "You don't always get what you deserve, and you don't always deserve what you get."

Like putting in golf, finishing in football is the game within the game. Sometimes, despite playing really well, you end up losing more heavily than you should.

The encouraging thing about our performance was we never got passed off the park (very important given the quick turnaround before Newcastle.) Barca looked uncomfortable for long periods, and an equalizer early in the second half would have changed everything.

On another night we'd have got one. We didn't. That's football.

Still very proud of how well we played. Onwards and upwards.

YNWA

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #860: May 02, 2019 12:45:30 pm
      The team that had a chance yesterday will be the team that starts at Anfield.

Trent back in, Firmino back fully fit. Milner   to make way for Henderson.

At worst we need to be 1-0 up at half time then get at them in the second half. Any goal for them which is highly likely then that will be a killer.

Tell you what if we’re ahead into 2nd half at Anfield and they’re blowing like they were (before that jammy second) last night we’ve got a helluva chance.........

Believe.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,440 posts | 3422 
      Reply #861: May 02, 2019 01:03:15 pm
      Still for the life of me can't understand why Jürgen wanted alisson to go up for a corner at 3 nil with a second leg to come, we are too open to counter attacks from our set pieces as it is
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #862: May 02, 2019 01:03:24 pm
      Tell you what if we’re ahead into 2nd half at Anfield and they’re blowing like they were (before that jammy second) last night we’ve got a helluva chance.........

Believe.
      Agreed.  It's a massive ask, but Barca have form in Europe for squandering a big 1st leg lead.

If we play similar to last night, but tighter at the back, with TAA providing better deliveries going forward than we saw last night, we can easily score 3+.

The rotund female may be warming up, but isn't quite ready yet...
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #863: May 02, 2019 01:11:29 pm
      Any news on Keita?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,440 posts | 3422 
      Reply #864: May 02, 2019 01:25:48 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #865: May 02, 2019 01:35:50 pm
      0.97 seconds from Messi hitting that free kick (that shouldn't have been a free kick) to it going in.  98 km/h.

Probably good news for Gomez that it didn't hit his head. 

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #866: May 02, 2019 01:36:51 pm
      Still for the life of me can't understand why Jürgen wanted alisson to go up for a corner at 3 nil with a second leg to come, we are too open to counter attacks from our set pieces as it is

Couldn't work that one out myself.

Seemed the players kind of overuled it as well.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #867: May 02, 2019 01:37:53 pm
      Yet Salah has smashed the stats Torres set...
      I don’t think you get 44 goals in a season without being clinical.

It was an off game, on another day our front 3 would have scored them chances.
      You can’t be spot on every game, it’s impossible.

I'm not sure what is the best stat to prove how clinical a team is or isn't, I suppose you could look at goals to shots on target but that comes down to how good the chances were so you'd have to factor that in as well, but in the game yesterday Barca scored at almost every opportunity they had whilst we didn't and that is kind of the story of us this season. Give us enough chances and we'll score but in a game with few chances we struggle to convert. This is why against the top teams we have struggled a little bit whilst against the mid to bottom teams we usually create so may chances that we score a good amount of goals.

An example is Huddersfield where yes we won 5-0 but if we were really clinical then that would have been 8 or 9-0.

It is something we will need to work on if we want to reach the next level, it takes more focus and better decision making which can both be coached and which also come with experience.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #868: May 02, 2019 01:38:45 pm

Well, that F***ing sucks.

Seems to me that they deliberately targeted him, after a couple of good early runs.
      Incredible that a Barca player gets away with a scissor tackle, clearly designed to injure, right in front of the ref,
      And don't get me started on Suarez's in the air, out of control, studs up lunge.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #869: May 02, 2019 01:39:46 pm
      Couldn't work that one out myself.

Seemed the players kind of overuled it as well.

Because an away goal would make life much easier at Anfield, considering you'd bet on Barca to score 1 away from home?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #870: May 02, 2019 01:41:20 pm
      Because an away goal would make life much easier at Anfield, considering you'd bet on Barca to score 1 away from home?

I get that mate but for me I don't see the keeper making much difference in these situations and it leaves us even more open for a counter.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #871: May 02, 2019 01:42:09 pm
      I was a bit pissed off last night at the result but it is a serious point about our finishing, it needs to be far more clinical. We get away with it because we normally create so many chances in a match but against top opposition we f**k up, hence all the draws against top 6 teams.

It is something we need to work on.

Having said all that I think we will win the CL, I think we will blitz Barca next week and do to them what we did to Roma last year, hopefully without conceding 2 late goals!

As much bad luck as we had last night we deserve good luck on Tuesday.

Pretty big gap between "we need to be more clinical" and "sell those two chokers." Do you still want to sell the premier League record holder and the player who scored in last year's final, both have scored multiple goals in the CL this season and last?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #872: May 02, 2019 01:44:12 pm
      I get that mate but for me I don't see the keeper making much difference in these situations and it leaves us even more open for a counter.

sh*t or bust move really.
      Keepers sometimes cause havoc when they go up, then again, sometimes they don't and the counter scores.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #873: May 02, 2019 01:48:42 pm
      Still hard to take this defeat. I know it’s better to lose whilst having played well than lose and having been dominated all game but christ, just makes you think more how they were there for the taking.

True statement. Before Keita went off they kept surrendering possession in their end. Then again in the 2nd half we were creating. Tough row to hoe now, but just focus on scoring that first goal at Anfield.  Then go from there.

Quick Reply