Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Barcelona?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (2.1%)
      Joel Matip
      31 (32%)
      Andy Robertson
      39 (40.2%)
       Fabinho
      7 (7.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (1%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (8.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (4.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: May 05, 2019 09:58:28 pm

Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 40289 times
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Re: Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #828: May 02, 2019 09:08:17 am
      Had some real scoring chances.

Us missing them cost us more than Barcelona's quality.

Qualification being open for the second leg is the least we deserved.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2019 09:20:56 am by nikos »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #829: May 02, 2019 09:14:23 am
      Slept on it.

Still gutted.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #830: May 02, 2019 09:31:41 am
      Talking sh*te mate, give your head a wobble,  then look at your last two posts, then give your head another wobble,  if you still think selling Salah etc the men in the white coats will be paying you a visit.

I was a bit pissed off last night at the result but it is a serious point about our finishing, it needs to be far more clinical. We get away with it because we normally create so many chances in a match but against top opposition we F**k up, hence all the draws against top 6 teams.

It is something we need to work on.

Having said all that I think we will win the CL, I think we will blitz Barca next week and do to them what we did to Roma last year, hopefully without conceding 2 late goals!

As much bad luck as we had last night we deserve good luck on Tuesday.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #831: May 02, 2019 09:34:50 am
      Oh well, beaten by a better team.

Were we? I'm not so sure, we were certainly cheated by better cheaters and they took their chances whilst we didn't but were they really a better team? The stats show that we had more possession and had the same number of shots as them, we also forced more corners.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #832: May 02, 2019 09:41:45 am
      Urrkk, this is what a footballing hangover feels like :(
      Still really disappointed, not with the performance, but with the result - and our finishing.
      Obviously not over, but we will have to pull out the performance of the season in the 2nd leg to get past this.
      Hopefully the ref is a bit stronger too and doesn't fall for as many acts, and gets the yellow out to them unlike the ref last night.
      Anfield will have to be rocking, and am sure it will be.
      Looking forward to giving Luis and Cou a particularly warm welcome...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #833: May 02, 2019 09:45:31 am
      Urrkk, this is what a footballing hangover feels like :(
      Still really disappointed, not with the performance, but with the result - and our finishing.
      Obviously not over, but we will have to pull out the performance of the season in the 2nd leg to get past this.
      Hopefully the ref is a bit stronger too and doesn't fall for as many acts, and gets the yellow out to them unlike the ref last night.
      Anfield will have to be rocking, and am sure it will be.
      Looking forward to giving Luis and Cou a particularly warm welcome...

If they play like they did against Man Utd at Old Trafford then we have a chance, if they play to the same level as yesterday then very slim chance, but Barca are typically far far better at home than away and yesterday we had better stats than them. That's the thing that hurts the most, it wasn't a case of us being outplayed for 90 minutes we just got hit with sucker punches whilst we failed to land a single blow.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #834: May 02, 2019 09:46:18 am
      I cannot believe some of the knee-jerk reactions coming out after that game. No way in hell was that a 3-0 game. I have no issue with the 3 they scored, they were fantastic goals, but those three absolute sitters we missed were unreal. And we're not talking about chances by luck, we're talking about chances created after pure quality football.

We had more shots on goal, more corners and 52% possession - on their home turf. To put it into perspective, below are some of the other "big teams" stats at Nou Camp this year.

Man Utd 34%
      Athletico 36%
      Real Madrid 43%

We took the game to them and outplayed them for large parts of the game. This is supposedly the best club team in the world who were forced to make a defensive change at home out of fear.

Nobody is looking for excuses or being naive, the scoreline is the stat that matters at the end of the day. But seeing some of the posters marvel at Barca's "quality" and dismiss our lads as buckling under pressure is doing a huge disservice to the team. Sometimes, you just don't get the luck in football regardless of how well you play, but to have this inferiority complex against Barca or Real last year is ridiculous.

I for one believe we can get three at home next week, probably more, but more importantly I want to beat them to underline that we are capable of beating the so called "best in the world".

All I can say is - unlucky lads, you did not deserve that scoreline, but do what you did last night and you can easily score 5 against these just like you destroyed Roma and City last year.
      +10
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #835: May 02, 2019 09:52:43 am
      I cannot believe some of the knee-jerk reactions coming out after that game. No way in hell was that a 3-0 game. I have no issue with the 3 they scored, they were fantastic goals, but those three absolute sitters we missed were unreal. And we're not talking about chances by luck, we're talking about chances created after pure quality football.

We had more shots on goal, more corners and 52% possession - on their home turf. To put it into perspective, below are some of the other "big teams" stats at Nou Camp this year.

Man Utd 34%
      Athletico 36%
      Real Madrid 43%

We took the game to them and outplayed them for large parts of the game. This is supposedly the best club team in the world who were forced to make a defensive change at home out of fear.

Nobody is looking for excuses or being naive, the scoreline is the stat that matters at the end of the day. But seeing some of the posters marvel at Barca's "quality" and dismiss our lads as buckling under pressure is doing a huge disservice to the team. Sometimes, you just don't get the luck in football regardless of how well you play, but to have this inferiority complex against Barca or Real last year is ridiculous.

I for one believe we can get three at home next week, probably more, but more importantly I want to beat them to underline that we are capable of beating the so called "best in the world".

All I can say is - unlucky lads, you did not deserve that scoreline, but do what you did last night and you can easily score 5 against these just like you destroyed Roma and City last year.

Spot on, we are more than capable of beating these guys at Anfield with the crowd behind the team and a referee with 20-20 eye sight and not weighed down by a brown envelope in his back pocket.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 270 
      Reply #836: May 02, 2019 09:59:51 am
      If we won 3-0 in 90 mins, do away goals count in extra time?
      I mean if we both scored during extra time?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #837: May 02, 2019 10:01:18 am
      If we won 3-0 in 90 mins, do away goals count in extra time?

Yes
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #838: May 02, 2019 10:14:05 am
      We are the only club in the world at the moment capable of turning this around.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,684 posts | 3359 
      Reply #839: May 02, 2019 10:18:22 am
      Beaten by the more clinical team - we played well to the point they were panicking and we made a Barce team go into protection mode and rely on Messi throwing himself to the ground along with Suarez

The difference between the two teams was the finishing from the best player that there has ever been and one of the best strikers that’s been in the modern era

It’s a big ask to get at home but we have seen it done
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #840: May 02, 2019 10:52:28 am
      If we can get an early goal they'll wobble. If we can score two by the hour mark, they'll tremble. If we can score three in 90 minutes, they'll buckle.

For most of that game, we were the better side. It's as simple as that. The difference was the greatest player on the planet. You really cannot prepare for a free kick like that nor the luck the greatest player on the planet had to score his second. Even if (if) Alisson could have done better with the freekick I'm not sure any keeper is saving that. It was almost perfect.

All that aside, that is the best losing performance I've ever seen from a Liverpool team. I'll bet there are a few Barca players waking up this morning who can't quite believe the 3-0 scoreline.

We can take many positives from that performance because on times, we made Barca look like Burnley. More shots, more possession, and more territory in their half than ours. At times it was a training session of attack vs defence - and they weren't the attacking team.

We will beat them at Anfield, the question is by how much.

I hope we can keep this team together and strengthen it because I think we are about 2 or 3 more signings from seeing something very special.

The only worry for me is Klopp - I'm not sure he'd commit to a 10-year contract extension.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #841: May 02, 2019 10:53:35 am

Man Utd 34%
      Athletico 36%
      Real Madrid 43%

Do you know what managers do? They make changes depending on how the game is going. Barcelona were having issues with Mane and Robertson all night, and they decided to make a change that would solidify that side.

They moved Sergi Roberto to midfield (where started playing and still plays some games) an Semedo behind him. This was followed by a stretch where they started playing better, defending better and a seven minute period where they not only played really good football, but got two goals.

I think we had two really good chances; the one to Milner that was shot directly at Ter Stegen, and the Salah shot that rocked the post. All the other stats though are meaningless considering Barcelona scored a tap in for their first, walked it in for their second and squandered a late sitter of their own.

An early goal would do wonders and might set the tie up for an interesting finale, and all we can ask for is similar effort and fewer mistakes. An away goal with the players they have upfront could similarly kill the tie. I do not know why people are glossing over that.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #842: May 02, 2019 10:59:24 am
      Don't care, those fuckers always choke when it matters, I'd take Suarez and Couts over them any day.

Attention seeking, post deleting, Thatcher loving helmet of the highest order.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1487 
      Reply #843: May 02, 2019 11:04:41 am

I think this is the funniest rebuke I've read on any forum this year ;D. Fair play
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #844: May 02, 2019 11:11:00 am
      Still hard to take this defeat. I know it’s better to lose whilst having played well than lose and having been dominated all game but christ, just makes you think more how they were there for the taking.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #845: May 02, 2019 11:12:06 am
      I cannot believe some of the knee-jerk reactions coming out after that game.

Some of the stuff I read post match I felt was over the top. Most were in hindsight, since we already knew how the match unfolded. In hindsight, I’d have struck the national lottery or won big betting on a Barca win. Needless to say... they were very obvious statements. I added a few meself. ;D

1) we should have played Trent instead of Gomez
      2) bobby should have started
      3) we should have placed the wall more to Ali’s right post. Just one step or one more man.
      4) Klopp got it very wrong
      5) the ref was blind
      6) we should have taken our chances

I think most were vented out of frustration. We still have a chance. Although it’s a very small chance.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #846: May 02, 2019 11:17:40 am
      Still hard to take this defeat. they were there for the taking.

It’s ok. There’s a second leg. Not impossible just difficult. Think about it, they did the necessary to stop us and were clinical. Let’s move on. We played pretty well didn’t we? In other aspects...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #847: May 02, 2019 11:27:59 am
      It’s ok. There’s a second leg. Not impossible just difficult. Think about it, they did the necessary to stop us and were clinical. Let’s move on. We played pretty well didn’t we? In other aspects...

Yeah always the 2nd leg. It’s more frustrating than anything because of how close we came to getting a couple of away goals and because our season deserves better than this.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #848: May 02, 2019 11:58:00 am

F**k sake, I was pulled up on this yesterday and apologised, it was said in the heat of the moment, some of you guys are utterly obsessed with me, it should be flattering but its really just a bit creepy!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #849: May 02, 2019 12:10:08 pm
      Do you know what managers do? They make changes depending on how the game is going. Barcelona were having issues with Mane and Robertson all night, and they decided to make a change that would solidify that side.

They moved Sergi Roberto to midfield (where started playing and still plays some games) an Semedo behind him. This was followed by a stretch where they started playing better, defending better and a seven minute period where they not only played really good football, but got two goals.

I think we had two really good chances; the one to Milner that was shot directly at Ter Stegen, and the Salah shot that rocked the post. All the other stats though are meaningless considering Barcelona scored a tap in for their first, walked it in for their second and squandered a late sitter of their own.

An early goal would do wonders and might set the tie up for an interesting finale, and all we can ask for is similar effort and fewer mistakes. An away goal with the players they have upfront could similarly kill the tie. I do not know why people are glossing over that.

Mané should have scored in the first half
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #850: May 02, 2019 12:14:33 pm
      Mané should have scored in the first half

and Milner and Salah should have scored in the second, then we'd be looking at 3-3. It comes down to being clinical in front of goal and we haven't had that since Torres, even Suarez was a bit sloppy for us, although seems much more focussed these days.
      We score a lot of goals because we create a hell of a lot of chances but in Europe you normally don't create a lot of chances, especially not as you get close to the end game, so we are fu**ed until we get a handle on that.

Quick Reply