Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      28 (25%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      23 (20.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (26.8%)
       Fabinho
      5 (4.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (4.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      16 (14.3%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: May 08, 2019 09:42:24 pm

Newcastle United 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22044 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Re: Newcastle United 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: May 05, 2019 12:51:08 pm
      :lmao:

If you don't see the work Firmino puts on the pitch then that's your issue. Sturridge was mostly falling on the ground trying to win fouls and let players get past him easily without him tracking back and trying to defend. He also missed a sitter.

Yet to you he had a ''great game''...

See, you still don't get it.

You are expecting Sturridge to go on the pitch and be Firmino. Because he didn't run like Firmino, you criticise him. They are different players.

It's like having a go at Fabinho for not pressing like Lallana does.

Sturridge is a Striker. Firmino is not. They have different strengths and weaknesses.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #530: May 05, 2019 12:54:49 pm
      If it's concussion then the decision won't be the manager's or Mo's

I'm not expecting that to be concussion. By all accounts he seems okay, and whilst it can take time to recognise concussion, I think we cannot be too quick to label it that way for every bang on the head.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #531: May 05, 2019 12:56:30 pm
      I thought Sturridge done OK. He looked sharp at times. Played a few nice passes. Including a back heeled nut meg that led to a goal.

Think if he had more minutes under his belt he would of buried that chance.

Let’s not forget his goal against Chelsea which will prove to be so important if we do win the title.

Every one of these players have proved their worth and all win fully deserve thier medals. Origi, Shaq, Studge. All had big big moments this season 💪🏻🔴
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #532: May 05, 2019 12:58:43 pm
      Apparently lovren said mo couldn't remember who he (lovren) is. Few on here would no doubt like that feeling.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #533: May 05, 2019 01:04:46 pm
      Our fullbacks cant stop amazing me with their plays, great job by the club and the manager for pushing them to the first team and making them great players they are now.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #534: May 05, 2019 01:14:17 pm
      Few trying to call Fab out for diving to get the free kick but he was fouled..a foul is a foul..if a player keeps his balance the ref might not give it. Fab was impeded..he went over..foul..the linesman gave it and he was a 3/4 feet away.

As soon as you see a player holding his hands up, you know it's a foul.

Fabinho made a bit (a small bit) of a meal of it, but he was fouled, and the opposition player knew it.
      Kopite78
      Reply #535: May 05, 2019 01:27:12 pm

Sturridge is a Striker. Firmino is not. They have different strengths and weaknesses.

Firmino who has 43 goals in the last two seasons

Seems strikerish to me

Difference is he does so much more as well as scoring those 43 goals in the last two seasons

I'm not expecting that to be concussion. By all accounts he seems okay, and whilst it can take time to recognise concussion, I think we cannot be too quick to label it that way for every bang on the head.

I'm not expecting to guess.. I'll leave that to the professionals
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #536: May 05, 2019 04:12:36 pm

You are expecting Sturridge to go on the pitch and be Firmino. Because he didn't run like Firmino, you criticise him. They are different players.

Firmino is a striker.

Klopp has said it numerous times he is a striker.

They are different types of strikers sure, but Firmino can offer more than Sturridge that's why Firmino gets the nod ahead of him. Saying Fabinho not pressing like lallana is also a ridiculous claim. Both actually press the same but Fabinho is overall fitter and better right now than Lallana.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #537: May 05, 2019 04:51:29 pm
      And breathe!

Nerve wrecking but I loved it! Looking forward to the last game of the season now!
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #538: May 05, 2019 04:52:38 pm
      Firmino is a striker.

They are different types of strikers sure, but Firmino can offer more than Sturridge that's why Firmino gets the nod ahead of him. Saying Fabinho not pressing like lallana is also a ridiculous claim. Both actually press the same but Fabinho is overall fitter and better right now than Lallana.

Right.. so Fabinho presses like Lallana.  :lmao:

On that note, no need to discuss anything further with you. Cheerio.   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #539: May 05, 2019 05:09:08 pm
      Right.. so Fabinho presses like Lallana.  :lmao:

On that note, no need to discuss anything further with you. Cheerio.   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Because you have no counter argument :lmao:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #540: May 05, 2019 05:28:51 pm
      Only just finish watching the Game, Made sure that I kept away form the scores so it was like me watching it live...
      Sad seeing Mo taken off with what looks like a concussion...

What I like about the subs is that they were positive, Shaqiri for Gini Playing four attackers and Lovren for Milner, (losing Mo for Origi) Love that VVD told Shaqiri to take the corner and then the free kick... Was thinking that VVD wanted the header, but also thing Origi is quite capable of scoring with his head as well...

Good game and we are still in with a remote chance of the title, but it's City's to lose
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #541: May 05, 2019 05:32:55 pm
      Am I missing something with Sturridge? Aside from the pass to Trent for the Salah goal, I thought he was sh*te, just as bad as against Huddersfield. Constantly offered nothing in attack, lost the ball easily and then sent a number of efforts well over the bar.
      Have to point out, He did play one fantastic pass to Mane with the out side of his boot in the first 20 mins or so
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2019 06:46:17 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #542: May 05, 2019 05:47:19 pm
      Have to point out, I did play one fantastic pass to Mane with the out side of his boot in the first 20 mins or so

You did?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #543: May 05, 2019 06:28:03 pm
      Because you have no counter argument :lmao:

Both players have different qualities, but Fabinho really doesn't press like Lallana.
      It may just be because of his deeper role, and that he'd be perfectly capable of it if he played further up, but as things stand, I'd have to say Lallana is the better presser.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #544: May 05, 2019 06:32:02 pm

I get your argument here however Sturridge lacked basic footballing qualities in that match like first touch, strength, positioning, finishing and passing.

He was dire, lost the ball nearly every time he got it except from one lovely outside the boot pass which only served as a sad and all too fleeting reminder of the player he once was.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #545: May 05, 2019 06:45:47 pm
      Not proof reading again will correct it   ;D
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      Reply #546: May 05, 2019 07:26:27 pm
      I get your argument here however Sturridge lacked basic footballing qualities in that match like first touch, strength, positioning, finishing and passing.

He was dire, lost the ball nearly every time he got it except from one lovely outside the boot pass which only served as a sad and all too fleeting reminder of the player he once was.

Saying he lacks basic footballing qualities is a bit harsh. He lacks match fitness. As the goal against Chelsea early on in the season proved he can score out of nowhere at any time.

Don’t think he was that bad Pal. He made a few good passes in behind. One for Mane I think as well as the outside of the foot one. As well as the one where he nutmegged somebody with a back heel which led to trents ball in and Salahs finish.
      His positioning was spot on when he had his chance too. A chance I believe he would of taken if he had more minutes this season.
      Actually thought he looked pretty sharp at the start of the game. He isn’t Firmino, we know that. Still capable of getting a goal though.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #547: May 05, 2019 07:29:24 pm
      Don’t think he was that bad Pal. He made a few good passes in behind. One for Mane I think as well as the outside of the foot one. As well as the one where he nutmegged somebody with a back heel which led to trents ball in and Salahs finish.
      His positioning was spot on when he had his chance too. A chance I believe he would of taken if he had more minutes this season.
      Actually thought he looked pretty sharp at the start of the game. He isn’t Firmino, we know that. Still capable of getting a goal though.

He faded badly. I know he’s not played a lot however he’s not going to be getting any better with time.

Don’t think Klopp would be too happy with his showing
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      Reply #548: May 05, 2019 07:35:47 pm
      He faded badly. I know he’s not played a lot however he’s not going to be getting any better with time.

Don’t think Klopp would be too happy with his showing

Yeah, his time is up at the club, I’m not saying give him a new contract or anything. Needs must at the min though isn’t it. Who would you start versus Barca?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #549: May 05, 2019 08:56:55 pm
      Yeah, his time is up at the club, I’m not saying give him a new contract or anything. Needs must at the min though isn’t it. Who would you start versus Barca?

I’d have Salah or Mane up top and Shaq on the wing
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #550: May 05, 2019 09:47:14 pm
      Firmino is a striker.

Lallana think his best days are behind him. He become the new sturridge with all these muscle injuries.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #551: May 05, 2019 10:24:12 pm
      Both players have different qualities, but Fabinho really doesn't press like Lallana.
      It may just be because of his deeper role, and that he'd be perfectly capable of it if he played further up, but as things stand, I'd have to say Lallana is the better presser.

Sure, I agree, both have different qualities, but both can press equally and both can nick balls away from oppositions. The only problem I have with Fabinho that he tries to dives into a tackle to get the ball away, which is risky.

Quick Reply