Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ajax v Spurs

Read 29870 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Ajax v Spurs
      Reply #161: May 08, 2019 10:25:39 pm
      Got a bit of a soft spot for Poch glad he’s done well cf to the plastic clubs.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Re: Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #162: May 08, 2019 10:25:48 pm
      FairPlay to Spuds they have teetered on the brink of exiting this competition since it started. I’d rather be playing a European side but I also think Ajax are the dangerous sort of side who can cut through our press and score a couple of goals in quick succession. Hopefully our experience from last year stands us in good stead.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #163: May 08, 2019 10:26:12 pm
      As the game went on I was thinking I hope we got Ajax, the chances Spurs were creating we could have killed them.
      Kopite78
      Reply #164: May 08, 2019 10:29:04 pm
      To be honest I'm more worried about Spurs as an opponent than I would ever have been against Ajax.

I think it would have been somewhere around 80-20 against Ajax and it's nearer 55-45 against Spurs

Still if we play as we can we win
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #165: May 08, 2019 10:32:22 pm
      As the game went on I was thinking I hope we got Ajax, the chances Spurs were creating we could have killed them.

Spurs simply lugged it long to Lorente for the entire 2nd half of both matches and this young Ajax side couldn’t deal with it. That won’t work against us. I think Ajax would have created chances against us the way they play. However, I have got that little bit of fear in the pit of my stomach that you only get when you play another English side in Europe.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #166: May 08, 2019 10:33:12 pm
      really emjoyed both games for very different reason but a comeback with a last minute winner is really exciting to watch. Football no script needed just passion and commitment .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #167: May 08, 2019 10:35:51 pm
      Got a bit of a soft spot for Poch glad he’s done well cf to the plastic clubs.

c**t of a player and c**t of a man
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #168: May 08, 2019 10:36:39 pm
      Heavens above. That was as cruel as football can be. If it was a Madrid, Barcelona, Man City (or even us) you could pick yourself up in the belief that you right the wrong of that last minute in the following season. But this is Ajax - who are more than likely going to have all their best players picked off sooner rather than later. They know that in the long run they can't compete with the financial clout of other European clubs and any hopes of a European revival where they can rise again seems limited you would think?

No doubt - Spurs themselves have done a fine job to get to the final given their own prudent approach (relative to the Premier League) in the market but they were always favourites for this tie and had far the better financial muscle. Pochettino has done a fine job there.

But Ajax? Wow - possibly the cruelest thing I've seen in football! (though little love will be had for their goalie - what was he doing for Moura's second goal? And ultimately it was his time wasting that eeked out those vital few seconds that Spurs took advantage of.)
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      Reply #169: May 08, 2019 10:47:38 pm
      Good thing the Final is weeks away and both us & Spurs will be off his 48 hour high that we as fans have witnessed from our couches.

Game on I say!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #170: May 08, 2019 11:25:40 pm
      To be honest I'm more worried about Spurs as an opponent than I would ever have been against Ajax.

I think it would have been somewhere around 80-20 against Ajax and it's nearer 55-45 against Spurs

Still if we play as we can we win

Agreed with that mate,

would have hoped getting Ajax in the final, just an easier opponent to deal with.

Tottenham are a good side, now I'm kind of worried.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #171: May 08, 2019 11:53:26 pm
      Guys how can anyone be worried? Just yesterday we played a game for all times to get in the final. Before that game if we are honest a lot of us were preparing to miss out on the final so shouldn’t we feel happy and hopefully that a team that did that will be just fine against Tottenham?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #172: May 09, 2019 12:06:49 am
      Guys how can anyone be worried? Just yesterday we played a game for all times to get in the final. Before that game if we are honest a lot of us were preparing to miss out on the final so shouldn’t we feel happy and hopefully that a team that did that will be just fine against Tottenham?

I'm happy that we are in the final, but I just hate facing English teams in the CL. It makes me feel so worried.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #173: May 09, 2019 12:10:13 am
      Spurs are the better team but Ajax were far more unpredictable. I'm happy we have Spurs, its a tough match but with our full strike force back, plus a few weeks rest we'll beat them, plus the occasion may well get to Spurs.
      We also have Spurs number in recent years,we know how to beat them.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #174: May 09, 2019 12:22:36 am
      C**t of a player and c**t of a man

So I assume you prefer the achievements of the human rights abusing Arab whore or maybe the Russian stolen money abusers?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #175: May 09, 2019 12:24:44 am
      Agreed with that mate,

would have hoped getting Ajax in the final, just an easier opponent to deal with.

;D the same team who can’t buy a win in the league.

Check out the table.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #176: May 09, 2019 12:36:33 am
      Granted Spuds are a better opponent but am I worried that’s its Spuds..?.. nah

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #177: May 09, 2019 12:45:09 am
      So I assume you prefer the achievements of the human rights abusing Arab whore or maybe the Russian stolen money abusers?

No but that doesn't mean the simeone wannabe shouldn't be called out for what he is. Complained about Jürgen's behaviour and whines endlessley about everything
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #178: May 09, 2019 04:50:54 am
      Hate to say it but spurs have had our number 3 of the last 4 times we’ve played them this will be tough

I'm sorry, but what?

We did a double on them, at Anfield they had to get a spawny penalty in 2018, and a wonder strike. And when we lost 4- 1, we played dog sh*t, and that was 2 years ago.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #179: May 09, 2019 04:55:22 am
      Spurs are the better team but Ajax were far more unpredictable. I'm happy we have Spurs, its a tough match but with our full strike force back, plus a few weeks rest we'll beat them, plus the occasion may well get to Spurs.
      We also have Spurs number in recent years,we know how to beat them.

You are bang on about unpredictability of Ajax. We have the experience of playing in a final, they don't. If we can do 4-0 to the la liga champions, I'm fairly confident in our team to do them fairly comfortably.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #180: May 09, 2019 07:18:00 am
      Ajax shot themselves in the foot. Spurs have never been to a final of the UCL. We were there last year. I would prefer Ajax over Spurs. I think we will be very hungry to win. I think Spurs were bang average until they went physical and Ajax got vertigo.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #181: May 10, 2019 11:05:42 am
      But they will be saying the exact same thing. Trace their journey to this stage and every round has been the narrowest of escapes.

We'd have smashed Ajax without a doubt.

Of course they would, What else could they say as we was the first to qualify for the Finals, who else could they want  :roll:

They got away with us not kicking there arse n there new Stadium this season so guest we will have to do it in Madrid

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #182: May 10, 2019 11:31:47 am
      Agreed with that mate,

Do you think the spuds are even more concerned about meeting the elite of Europe in the final?
      They too would  have preferred Ajax in the final rather than a team in outstanding form and capable of beating anyone in spite of being without two first choice strikers.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #183: May 10, 2019 11:56:57 am
      I really don't mind Spurs we are just a beast of a team now

Absolutely  ;D

Quick Reply