Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool

Read 52980 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: 2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool
      Reply #253: May 14, 2019 09:38:40 pm
      Look like the squad is off to Marbella again for a weeks training, after a week off. Hope they don't perform in the final they way they did after they returned from their last "sunshine training."

Or the one before that! We were not great after each of the sunshine training camps.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #254: May 14, 2019 10:51:31 pm
      Apparently teams can have 11 players on the bench starting this year’s final. I like that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #255: May 14, 2019 11:23:15 pm
      Apparently teams can have 11 players on the bench starting this year’s final. I like that.

Sure I read that 4 can come on as well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #256: May 14, 2019 11:40:18 pm
      Sure I read that 4 can come on as well.

Is the 4th if it goes to extra time?
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #257: May 14, 2019 11:41:37 pm

Yes, I think so.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #258: May 15, 2019 12:27:01 am

Decision taken out of Jürgen’s hands then!

Everyone will be at his disposal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #259: May 15, 2019 08:22:16 am

One rule change I'd like to see in Football is the ability to sub players in and out, like in Basketball, so that you can throw on extra attackers for a push and then take them off again afterwards and vice versa with defensive players. I think it would make the game even more dynamic and you'd get a lot more variation with tactics.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #260: May 15, 2019 10:07:03 am
      One rule change I'd like to see in Football is the ability to sub players in and out, like in Basketball, so that you can throw on extra attackers for a push and then take them off again afterwards and vice versa with defensive players. I think it would make the game even more dynamic and you'd get a lot more variation with tactics.

did you actually think this through before posting.  :holyshit:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #261: May 15, 2019 10:21:10 am

nope.

That will lead to managers just doing it to stop momentum the other team has.

I would consider 1 more sub, that is only allowed for serious head knocks after other subs are all used up, but this too could be corrupted, players feigning Injury etc.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #262: May 15, 2019 10:21:51 am

Never seen this, yea this is a good idea. ET only 4th sub.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #263: May 15, 2019 12:32:47 pm
      Interesting about the 4th sub.

Players are viewed as assets by clubs these days, and we are getting more and more rules to protect those "assets".

I see this as a positive, but at the same time, I miss the physical aspects of the game.
      It's not often we see a player "put in the stands" by a crunching (legal) tackle these days, and I miss that.

As well as that, we still see snide tackles intended to injure by some sides, who seem to get away with it all the time.
      I saw 3 pretty horrible tackles in the Barcelona 1st leg, including 1 studs up (yellow) and the scissor tackle on Keita which eventually put him out of the game.

Consistency is needed.

I think we'll see a pretty physical, but fair match in the final.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #264: May 15, 2019 03:51:44 pm
      nope.

That will lead to managers just doing it to stop momentum the other team has.

I would consider 1 more sub, that is only allowed for serious head knocks after other subs are all used up, but this too could be corrupted, players feigning Injury etc.

You mean in the same way a manager puts 11 players in their own 16 yard area now?? If a manager did that then you could just have the other manager sub on 11 attackers to try to find a way through the block, would be quite exciting. In any case I think it would be an interesting idea and add to the ebb and flow of the game.

Even if that radical idea is not done then there should be a change in the law so that its possible to sub in a player if they are injured and you have used up all your substitutions. Its utterly irresponsible to force a player to continue playing through an injury like Man Utd had to do with Rashford against us. If you leave that responsibility on the medical staff then they would be risking their licenses if they lie about it and let a player feign injury.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #265: May 15, 2019 04:44:58 pm
      You mean in the same way a manager puts 11 players in their own 16 yard area now?? If a manager did that then you could just have the other manager sub on 11 attackers to try to find a way through the block, would be quite exciting. In any case I think it would be an interesting idea and add to the ebb and flow of the game.

Even if that radical idea is not done then there should be a change in the law so that its possible to sub in a player if they are injured and you have used up all your substitutions. Its utterly irresponsible to force a player to continue playing through an injury like Man Utd had to do with Rashford against us. If you leave that responsibility on the medical staff then they would be risking their licenses if they lie about it and let a player feign injury.

Even though teams would abuse it, i agree this should be added as there will be instances when a player is truly hurt. As for your other radical idea...well, the less said the better.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #266: May 15, 2019 04:57:20 pm

American University "soccer" has this and it ruins the game. Just all out pressing and longball all the time because there is no concern for fatigue or pacing. Someone gets tired and you just sub him for a while.  Repeated stoppage of play for all the changes. it is not an improvement but rather detracts from the value of skill .
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #267: May 15, 2019 05:07:48 pm
      American University "soccer" has this and it ruins the game. Just all out pressing and longball all the time because there is no concern for fatigue or pacing. Someone gets tired and you just sub him for a while.  Repeated stoppage of play for all the changes. it is not an improvement but rather detracts from the value of skill .

Correct.  I played in college and the game is 100% based around pace and athleticism rather than skill and technique.  Coaches typically deploy longball tactics and use subs for fresh legs after their starting attackers and midfielders begin to fatigue -- usually about 20-25 minutes into the first half, rotate again at halftime, then again 20 minutes into the 2nd half.  This is a big reason why so few elite players come out of the American collegiate system...
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #268: May 15, 2019 05:37:04 pm
      Correct.  I played in college and the game is 100% based around pace and athleticism rather than skill and technique.  Coaches typically deploy longball tactics and use subs for fresh legs after their starting attackers and midfielders begin to fatigue -- usually about 20-25 minutes into the first half, rotate again at halftime, then again 20 minutes into the 2nd half.  This is a big reason why so few elite players come out of the American collegiate system...

Apologize for continued going off topic,a pet hate of mine,but where and when did ya play? I used to go watch Harvard,ya cold see a few lads with a bit of potential but yep most playing college soccer ain't doing it for a later career.....And F**k the spurs. ;D
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #269: May 15, 2019 06:03:08 pm
      Never known the final to be played at such a late date.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #270: May 15, 2019 06:07:19 pm
      I hope if/when we win number 6 they will have a huge banner saying something like, "This one is for you Sean."

Or just mention it in the after match interviews.

Would be a class act.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #271: May 15, 2019 10:18:21 pm
      Why can't it just be on this weekend or next latest.

Or why did the Premier League work the fixtures to give such a lay off before both European finals. At least we will have had last year as experience. The lay off for Spurs might affect them more.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #272: May 16, 2019 12:27:41 am
      Why can't it just be on this weekend or next latest.

Or why did the Premier League work the fixtures to give such a lay off before both European finals. At least we will have had last year as experience. The lay off for Spurs might affect them more.

That was the point i made to a work colleague.

Premier League players get smashed all season with the schedule and now there's three weeks between the end of our season to the final. Meanwhile every other major league is still playing.

Give Premier League players two weekends off a season or just bring in a fortnight break in January. Even just one week.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #273: May 16, 2019 12:49:54 am

Apologize for continued going off topic,a pet hate of mine,but where and when did ya play? I used to go watch Harvard,ya cold see a few lads with a bit of potential but yep most playing college soccer ain't doing it for a later career.....And f**k the spurs. ;D

A small school in Indiana -- Wabash College.  I had a few mates play for Indiana University and Notre Dame.  All the collegiate teams approach the game the same way, and its because of the liberal allowance of substitutions.  If the professional game allowed substitutions like the collegiate game it would remove so much of the tactical nuance, technique, and individual skill that make the game so enjoyable.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #274: May 16, 2019 07:03:48 am

What the F**k is this ha ha
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #275: May 16, 2019 07:45:53 am
      Introducing a player who's been withdrawn at an earlier point (if he's still up to it),and four substitutions on the whole i think would be enough, in theory of course.

In football,time can't be paused and resume like in basketball.
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2019 10:01:52 am by nikos »

Quick Reply