Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool

Read 52976 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: 2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool
      Reply #276: May 16, 2019 09:10:55 am
      You mean in the same way a manager puts 11 players in their own 16 yard area now?? If a manager did that then you could just have the other manager sub on 11 attackers to try to find a way through the block, would be quite exciting. In any case I think it would be an interesting idea and add to the ebb and flow of the game.

Even if that radical idea is not done then there should be a change in the law so that its possible to sub in a player if they are injured and you have used up all your substitutions. Its utterly irresponsible to force a player to continue playing through an injury like Man Utd had to do with Rashford against us. If you leave that responsibility on the medical staff then they would be risking their licenses if they lie about it and let a player feign injury.

Christ on a bike, folk are going ape sh*t the now about VAR ruining the game and such, hell would break loose if the 11 subs came in. ;D

For a big chunk of cash that no doubt would be offered I reckon medical staff would risk it. ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #277: May 16, 2019 10:13:01 am
      American University "soccer" has this and it ruins the game. Just all out pressing and longball all the time because there is no concern for fatigue or pacing. Someone gets tired and you just sub him for a while.  Repeated stoppage of play for all the changes. it is not an improvement but rather detracts from the value of skill .

Ah ok, wasn't aware that it has been tried, does it lead to more goals or less?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #278: May 16, 2019 10:18:04 am
      Introducing a player who's been withdrawn at an earlier point (if he's still up to it),and four substitutions on the whole i think would be enough, in theory of course.

In football,time can't be paused and resume like in basketball.

Ah this is another thing I'd like to change, the clock, why can't it be stopped and started in football as it is in almost all other sports? It would take the argument over "Fergie time" out of the equation and be much fairer, as it would cut out on time wasting.

BTW the subs in and out was just a brainstorm type of idea, I actually had no idea its already in use in American colleges already.

Anyway I suspect we are wearing wildly off topic here, perhaps an indication of the fact we are having to wait 3 f'ing weeks for this CL final!
      The reason for that is that some of the leagues don't finish for another few weeks which of course is a big advantage for English teams as they get a multi week rest before the final, not so much of an advantage this time though ;-)
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #279: May 16, 2019 11:29:37 am
      Ah this is another thing I'd like to change, the clock, why can't it be stopped and started in football as it is in almost all other sports? It would take the argument over "Fergie time" out of the equation and be much fairer, as it would cut out on time wasting.

BTW the subs in and out was just a brainstorm type of idea, I actually had no idea its already in use in American colleges already.

Anyway I suspect we are wearing wildly off topic here, perhaps an indication of the fact we are having to wait 3 f'ing weeks for this CL final!
      The reason for that is that some of the leagues don't finish for another few weeks which of course is a big advantage for English teams as they get a multi week rest before the final, not so much of an advantage this time though ;-)

In one of the play off games 2 minutes was added on to the final 15 minutes of extra time. 15 into 90 = 6. 6 x 2 = 12. Don't think I've ever seen 12 minutes added on at the end of a normal game.

On the VAR issue it'll be interesting to see what percentage decisions on goals and penalties will be changed. Could be as high as 20%.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #280: May 16, 2019 11:36:10 am
      Regarding the almost 3 week wait for the C/L final keeping the squad fit and focused will be a challenge. Games obviously behind closed doors can be arranged but these lack the intensity of real games. Look the way Derby came out last night.High octane game. Might've been a different story if they had 3 weeks off.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #281: May 16, 2019 01:22:12 pm
      Regarding the almost 3 week wait for the C/L final keeping the squad fit and focused will be a challenge. Games obviously behind closed doors can be arranged but these lack the intensity of real games. Look the way Derby came out last night.High octane game. Might've been a different story if they had 3 weeks off.

If players can’t keep themselves fit and be completely motivated and fired up for a Champions League final then they don’t deserve to be there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #282: May 16, 2019 01:53:12 pm
      Ah ok, wasn't aware that it has been tried, does it lead to more goals or less?

No discernible change in the number of goals scored, but it does increase the number of giveaways in the back....
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #283: May 16, 2019 05:04:31 pm
      If players can’t keep themselves fit and be completely motivated and fired up for a Champions League final then they don’t deserve to be there.

Klopp always mentions it - there’s no training or fitness regimes that can match a competitive game of football.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #284: May 16, 2019 05:37:00 pm
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #285: May 16, 2019 05:44:31 pm

To be fair that is clickbait at it's finest, Pochettino doesn't say anything of the sort.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #286: May 16, 2019 05:56:51 pm
      To be fair that is clickbait at it's finest, Pochettino doesn't say anything of the sort.

Agreed - still an official spurs news account - bunch of cu*ts
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #287: May 16, 2019 06:03:03 pm
      Agreed - still an official spurs news account - bunch of cu*ts

Don't think it's anything to do with the club itseld. Just ignore sh*t like that
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #288: May 16, 2019 06:16:25 pm

PISH !!
      Can't see poch saying sh*t like that, so it's bollocks, clickbait at it's finest.

YNWA
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #289: May 16, 2019 08:06:07 pm
      Off to the Olympia to watch it for the BossNight screening.  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #290: May 16, 2019 10:26:29 pm
      Klopp always mentions it - there’s no training or fitness regimes that can match a competitive game of football.

I think if Klopp was that worried he may have had a friendly game arranged like Chelsea have had tonight. Our lads are as fit and sharp as they come.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #291: May 16, 2019 10:58:40 pm
      I think if Klopp was that worried he may have had a friendly game arranged like Chelsea have had tonight. Our lads are as fit and sharp as they come.

On the downside of that is Loftus-Cheek has picked up a serious injury.

After the C/L final home grown players might be involved in the UEFA Nations League. Just the Semi's and the Final to be played in June. Egypt have 2 friendlies and 3 Africa Cup of Nations games in June. Mo might not get a day off till bleedin' July.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #292: May 16, 2019 11:01:07 pm
      On the downside of that is Loftus-Cheek has picked up a serious injury.

Well you can't have it both ways can you, you either don't have a friendly and take the chance that your players will stay in the shape and as sharp as they currently are or you have a friendly and take the risk of a player getting injured in that. Regardless of what way you look at it people can find a downside for one reason or another. Injuries are part and parcel of the game, they can happen in training and matches.

After the C/L final home grown players might be involved in the UEFA Nations League. Just the Semi's and the Final to be played in June. Egypt have 2 friendlies and 3 Africa Cup of Nations games in June. Mo might not get a day off till bleedin' July.

Again, regarding this it happens most years in one form or another for a lot of players. Mo got a break from the last games Egypt were playing so you could argue that he's in slightly better condition.

Stop worrying, whatever happens will happen.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #293: May 17, 2019 01:32:54 am
      3 weeks is far too long at the end of the season luckily it is same for all teams as they are all English but a massive Cock up, nevertheless.   10 days to 2 wks max.  I can see match sharpness being key in both finals. 
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #294: May 17, 2019 08:34:47 am
      We simply must win. 30 years since the hillsborogh tragedy and all. The whole city needs this so much more than fkn spurs.

Four finals losses now in a row this is becoming a bad habit we desperately need this trophy. Imagine spurs beating us to become Kings of Europe that would be too much for any man.

I think we will edge it spurs have a lot of pace on counters so we need to be totally zoned in. I desperately hope it dosent go to pens as I think spurs would have the better pen takers not that ours are bad but don't want pens.

Everyone needs to be match fit and raring to go and Madrid stadium turned into anfield for the night. We can't let this slip. Kings of Europe  again be unbelievable and just reward for an incredible season.
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2019 08:42:04 am by JD »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #295: May 17, 2019 09:43:48 am
      I don't think match sharpness is a major issue here as they have had a full season to hone their sharpness and when training every day it won't just vanish over night. Also its not the same as an international break because what happens there is that Klopp and his staff don't have enough time to prepare the players, if anything the reverse is true here, they have almost to much time to train specifically for one opponent, I just hope they don't over analyse, but I'm confident they know exactly what they are doing and we'll see a well rested and focussed team.
      I still think the determining factor will be experience of the occasion, which we have but Spurs don't, plus the fact that we are the better team. The way we were playing the last few months/weeks was superb whilst Spurs were stuttering and stumbling over the finish line, now that could be down to fatigue but I think they had bigger issues than that. They could of course turn it on in the final but then so can we, we'll be ravenous for this title after last year and missing out on the league by 1 point to those cheating scumbags in Manchester.
      I predict a relatively comfortable win for us 3-1.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #296: May 17, 2019 10:12:51 am
      We MUST win this final, if for no other reason than to lose the "runner-up" tag we're increasingly becoming labelled with!  It will be a HUGE monkey off the back of the team and of JK.

Interesting stat: the last time we won a trophy that we didn't win on penalties (excluding Community Shield)?

2003 League Cup 2-0 against Utd.

Since then the run of (cups, not league) wins & runners-up reads: -

2005 Won CL on pens
      2006 Won FA cup on pens
      2007 CL Runner-up
      2012 Won League cup on pens
      2016 Europa & League cup Runners-up
      2018 CL Runners-up

Let's do what we've done the last couple of months and win this game in 90 mins, with no drama.

Let's SHUT the critics UP!  Let's SHUT the f###ing BLUENOSES & the MANCS up who are living on Schadenfruede!

Let's SHUT the f###ing City fans up!!

Winning this will be catalyst for greater things to come, including finally ending our league title drought!

Let's just fire on all cylinders on June 1st, trust there are no bad decisions, injuries or luck. 
      All things being equal, we win by a couple of goals. 

Let's do this!  We NEED this!!  We DESERVE this!!!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019 11:22:01 am by skamp »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #297: May 17, 2019 10:59:23 am
      We MUST win this final, if for no other reason lose to break the "runner-up" tag we're increasingly becoming labelled with!  It will be a HUGE monkey off the back of the team and of JK.

Interesting stat: the last time we won a trophy that we didn't win on penalties (excluding Community Shield)?

2003 League Cup 2-0 against Utd.

Since then the run of (cups, not league) wins & runners-up reads: -

2005 Won CL on pens
      2006 Won FA cup on pens
      2007 CL Runner-up
      2012 Won League cup on pens
      2016 Europa & League cup Runners-up
      2018 CL Runners-up

Let's do what we've done the last couple of months and win this game in 90 mins, with no drama.

Let's SHUT the critics UP!  Let's SHUT the f###ing BLUENOSES & the MANCS up who are living on Schadenfruede!

Let's SHUT the f###ing City fans up!!

Winning this will be catalyst for greater things to come, including finally ending our league title drought!

Let's just fire on all cylinders on June 1st, trust there are no bad decisions, injuries or luck.  all
      things being equal, we win by a couple of goals. 

Let's do this!  We NEED this!!  We DESERVE this!!!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!

100% agree, one win and it will start to snowball and we'll win plenty more.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #298: May 17, 2019 11:19:18 am
      Wow!!  the stat on penalty wins !!!

Time to win a final in style.

Up the reds.

Quick Reply