Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool

Read 52970 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: 2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool
      Reply #322: May 18, 2019 04:54:38 pm
      Don't you mean Carpe Diem?  :)

Edit: I guess I was thinking Semper Fidelis.

Boca juniors no? not good enough.transfer thread is over there.God i'm bored.Time for  :food-smiley-005:
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #323: May 18, 2019 05:23:42 pm
      Just had a near heart attack - ticket available at only €915 but it was for a parking pass

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #324: May 18, 2019 06:40:48 pm
      Anyone else going to the event in the Olympia?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #325: May 18, 2019 06:47:22 pm
      I think there will be nothing comfortable about it. We have every capability of winning it of course, but Spurs have the same opportunity as us at this point. Nothing will be given to us. The fact that we all want it so much doesn't make it any closer to happening. We have every chance of winning, AND losing.

Now let's do this!

it will be tea and slippers by halftime we have had the shittiest luck going in recent finals and in the league we deserve a change and its going to come our way. Apart from that I truly believe the lads will be absolutely chomping at the bit to win this and Spurs will not know what has hit them
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #326: May 18, 2019 08:06:36 pm
      In a one off final anything can happen,but league tables don't lie,they lost 13 times,we lost once,we are the better team,by a mile,if we play with the same desire and intensity we did against Barcelona,we will win,so barring no red cards,gifted goals,we should be bringing home number 6
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #327: May 18, 2019 08:25:04 pm
      Team and manager more knowledgeable than ever.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #328: May 18, 2019 08:52:41 pm
      it will be tea and slippers by halftime we have had the shittiest luck going in recent finals and in the league we deserve a change and its going to come our way. Apart from that I truly believe the lads will be absolutely chomping at the bit to win this and Spurs will not know what has hit them

I really hope you’re right
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #329: May 18, 2019 09:39:06 pm
      Isn’t Europa final then?

Shouldn't take another week from an already short close season. They are not going to have more than four weeks off, not even counting internationals.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #330: May 19, 2019 04:15:45 am
      Been trying desperately to not read or watch anything linked to the champions League final after the disappointment of the end of our season.
      A week has passed and now I feel ready to get back involved...sure many of you may have felt the same.
      With 13 days to go I am as jittery as I was last way but for different reasons.
      Last year felt like that against all odds, if we could play our game that Madrid were there for the taking.
      This year I feel nervous because we are basically favorites and have all the media and societal pressure of our boss not winning a final with us yet.
      I feel we are clearly the better side
      I feel we have strength in every area
      I am just wary of us fans getting ahead of ourselves.
      Spurs can be a very good team.
      They deserve to be in this final.
      They have plenty of threats and I just think that playing a premier league team other than Ajax is a worrisome proposition.
      One day at a time.
      Prepare the squad mentally and physically correctly and it’s ours to lose.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #331: May 19, 2019 05:26:43 am
      In all honesty we have had a great season but I feel if we are to genuinely get trophies in the cabinet it's time for us to shelve the underdog tag in these finals. We have to start believing we are here because we are one of the best teams.

Ultimately we are.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #332: May 19, 2019 12:39:15 pm
      In all honesty we have had a great season but I feel if we are to genuinely get trophies in the cabinet it's time for us to shelve the underdog tag in these finals. We have to start believing we are here because we are one of the best teams.

Ultimately we are.

Personally, I think we can beat anyone on the day.
      We've shown that over the last 2 seasons, and when I look at some of the teams we've beaten it shows me not only how far we've come under Klopp, but also how good we are.

The manager of our local Tesco is a Villa fan, and I was chatting to him the other day when he came out with the old chestnut about "Liverpool always get an easy draw".
      I pointed out we'd beaten PSG, Napoli, Bayern Munich, Porto and Barcelona and he seemed quite surprised.
      Wished us well in the final though, as for some reason he can't stand Spurs.

Just shows how some myths never die, they just keep coming back.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #333: May 19, 2019 12:51:55 pm
      Personally, I think we can beat anyone on the day.
      We've shown that over the last 2 seasons, and when I look at some of the teams we've beaten it shows me not only how far we've come under Klopp, but also how good we are.

The manager of our local Tesco is a Villa fan, and I was chatting to him the other day when he came out with the old chestnut about "Liverpool always get an easy draw".
      I pointed out we'd beaten PSG, Napoli, Bayern Munich, Porto and Barcelona and he seemed quite surprised.
      Wished us well in the final though, as for some reason he can't stand Spurs.

Just shows how some myths never die, they just keep coming back.

It’s an incredible champions league run - some massive massive scalps.

We have to finish the job. It has to happen.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #334: May 19, 2019 01:12:14 pm
      I really hope you’re right

I have seen many successful Liverpool teams and many false dawns this team is the real thing and they just don't F**k things up anymore. I am not saying its going to be like yesterdays FA Cup final but this team finds a way and that is what good team do.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #335: May 19, 2019 01:14:51 pm

Ultimately we are.

Have mentioned in a couple of other threads we may be the best team in the world right now. If we win in Madrid, there's only one other team that can talk about it.

Sound in every area of the game. Wins over some of the biggest names. Resilient enough to win if we are a bit off. Able to mount tremendous comebacks. We absolutely are right at the top.

But we played Spurs not that long ago at home and had to eke out a scrappy win. I expect a similar game. Not doubting our ability, just respecting our opponent and saving the celebration for when we've won the trophy.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #336: May 19, 2019 01:21:23 pm
      When you go to Barcelona their own ground and have the stats we had (weirdly losing 3-0) and then back to Anfield and destroy them 4-0 its going to give the lads confidence that they just need to do their jobs as the manager requires and there will only be one result.
      Its just weird that we have to wait 3 weeks  but nothing UEFA does surprises anyone does it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #337: May 19, 2019 01:26:29 pm
      It’s an incredible champions league run - some massive massive scalps.

We have to finish the job. It has to happen.

At the moment, I'm a bag of nerves about the match.

On the day, I'll be pretty calm, relaxed and even confident.
      It's always the waiting that fries my brain.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #338: May 19, 2019 01:34:50 pm
      I watched a documentary about Shankly this morning. I am not going to say a single negative word about this club or the players or the manager. Shankly lived his life being incredibly positive even in the most terrible circumstances working down a pit.
      Time to banish the negative thoughts the future is as bright as its ever been with this team and this manager.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #339: May 20, 2019 02:36:44 pm
      Naby Keita has been included in the squad of players going on the training camp, talk of him being okay for the final which would be a massive boost.

Kane also expecting to be ready for the final which is another bonus IMO; he goes into it having no match practice with missing the last 3 months of football, not a lot of full training and it means that either Son or Lucas Moura will find themselves on the bench. Two players which IMO are more of a threat than Kane as it stands.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #340: May 20, 2019 03:53:08 pm
      Naby Keita has been included in the squad of players going on the training camp, talk of him being okay for the final which would be a massive boost.

Kane also expecting to be ready for the final which is another bonus IMO; he goes into it having no match practice with missing the last 3 months of football, not a lot of full training and it means that either Son or Lucas Moura will find themselves on the bench. Two players which IMO are more of a threat than Kane as it stands.

I'm guessing Klopp jist wants Naby to be part of things, but wouldn't it be awesome if he could play a part?!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #341: May 20, 2019 04:21:24 pm
      The only decision Klopp will have to make for me is who the third midfielder is.

I have Fabinho and Hendo down as definite starters. Wijnaldum or Milner will be the big choice for the boss I would have thought with Naby looking at a definite place on the bench.

I'd say it's worth talking about soon who people would choose from them.
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2019 04:26:59 pm by fields of anny rd »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #342: May 20, 2019 04:32:24 pm
      The only decision Klopp will have to make for me is who the third midfielder is.

I have Fabinho and Hendo down as definite starters. Wijnaldum or Milner will be the big choice for the boss I would have thought with Naby looking at a definite place on the bench.

I'd say it's worth talking about soon who people would choose from them.

I have a nagging feeling it will be the tried and tested trio. Ideally, providing Keita isn’t ready to start then I’d go Fab, Hendo and Gini.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #343: May 20, 2019 04:39:15 pm
      Hendo, Fab and Gini have been in great form of late the way they played in the  last few games was just immense.
      I wouldn't like to be the one to pick this team although the back 4 picks itself and the front three does the same so its the midfield three that is the are were change could happened. Jürgen likes to see Milner in the big games because of his experience so I wouldn't be surprised  to see him either. Lets remember when we win this we will be Champions of Europe not just England.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #344: May 20, 2019 05:48:22 pm
      Been trying desperately to not read or watch anything linked to the champions League final after the disappointment of the end of our season.
      A week has passed and now I feel ready to get back involved...sure many of you may have felt the same.
      With 13 days to go I am as jittery as I was last way but for different reasons.
      Last year felt like that against all odds, if we could play our game that Madrid were there for the taking.
      This year I feel nervous because we are basically favorites and have all the media and societal pressure of our boss not winning a final with us yet.
      I feel we are clearly the better side
      I feel we have strength in every area
      I am just wary of us fans getting ahead of ourselves.
      Spurs can be a very good team.
      They deserve to be in this final.
      They have plenty of threats and I just think that playing a premier league team other than Ajax is a worrisome proposition.
      One day at a time.
      Prepare the squad mentally and physically correctly and it’s ours to lose.

I disagree with the part about Spurs deserving to be in the final. They've had an extreme amount of luck to get into the final. Doesn't mean they can't continue to capitalize, but on paper at least, there's really no reason we shouldn't win this. Klopp will have us ready and we'll have a fit and healthy Salah for the entire game (you would expect) this time around.

Quick Reply