Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

This team beats the 2005 team

Read 6226 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: This team beats the 2005 team
      Reply #23: May 26, 2019 12:43:33 am
      wow are you sure?, in its day, It was a fantastic team,with a fantastic manager.  How long have you been a fan, or you a another wum,
      Either way, stupid comment.

Think it’s a fair comment to be honest. How we managed to beat that Milan team and other teams when we had Dudek, Biscan, Traore, Baros, Mellor, Pongolle, Nunez etc in our team was nothing short of a miracle.

Back then, sure we had Alonso but he was still very early 20s and nowhere near the player he was a couple of years later, we had a slightly aging Hamman, Carra, Hyypia, a defensively poor Riise at LB, Finnan and Gerrard as the best players. To say we are currently miles better than that team is nothing short of an understatement and so many parts of that team wouldn’t have been so quickly moved on/or out of the team had they been as good as you are maybe suggesting. The team Rafa had then compared to the team he had in 08 was chalk and cheese.

But that was then and this is now, and now we have probably our strongest team for as long as I can remember. Bring on the Spuds!!!
      « Last Edit: May 26, 2019 12:53:46 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: May 26, 2019 01:10:20 am
      2005 was the best year ever and our campaign was absolutely fantastic but that team had many faults. Dudek wasn't reliable, Traoré was a Championship player at best, Riise was a good left back having to play at left wing, Baros was overhyped due to a good European championship but never actually scored that many, Luis Garcia was a magician on his day but more frequently went missing. Add to this that Kewell started the UCL final despite having contributed nearly nothing in the campaign, that we beat Juventus with the total nobody Le Tallec in the starting lineup and Scott Carson in goal, that Igor Biscan not only played but played well in a couple of games, that Neil Mellor actually scored some important goals, that Vladi Smicer who had been useless all season came on and scored in the final, and all that to me says a lot more about the fantastic manager we had back then than about the quality of the squad, which wasn't anything special. Just look at some of those players careers after LFC. They had just been European champions, and still Baros couldn't do better than, I don't know, Aston Villa. Traoré went to Portsmouth, wasn't it? Smicer to Bordeaux, Biscan to Panathinaikos. Dudek went to warm Real's bench, his career effectively over. Mellor ever even played in the Premier League again? I don't think so. I find it funny when people say Rafa won it with "Houllier's squad" as if that was some sort of nod towards Houllier. I see it the other way around. The squad that Gerard left us was hardly good enough to achieve European qualification, and that weight is on him. Rafa turned them into European champions, and that merit is all his.

Especially as he beat a side virtually entirely composed of legends and/or world class players in Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaká, Shevchenko and Crespo.
      « Last Edit: May 26, 2019 01:29:51 am by Diego LFC »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #25: May 26, 2019 06:42:43 am
      That was a brilliant night, way back in 2005. Only parallel that I would like to see is winning the final, with no need for penalties or extra time.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #26: May 26, 2019 10:22:30 am
      2005 was the best year ever and our campaign was absolutely fantastic but that team had many faults. Dudek wasn't reliable, Traoré was a Championship player at best, Riise was a good left back having to play at left wing, Baros was overhyped due to a good European championship but never actually scored that many, Luis Garcia was a magician on his day but more frequently went missing. Add to this that Kewell started the UCL final despite having contributed nearly nothing in the campaign, that we beat Juventus with the total nobody Le Tallec in the starting lineup and Scott Carson in goal, that Igor Biscan not only played but played well in a couple of games, that Neil Mellor actually scored some important goals, that Vladi Smicer who had been useless all season came on and scored in the final, and all that to me says a lot more about the fantastic manager we had back then than about the quality of the squad, which wasn't anything special. Just look at some of those players careers after LFC. They had just been European champions, and still Baros couldn't do better than, I don't know, Aston Villa. Traoré went to Portsmouth, wasn't it? Smicer to Bordeaux, Biscan to Panathinaikos. Dudek went to warm Real's bench, his career effectively over. Mellor ever even played in the Premier League again? I don't think so. I find it funny when people say Rafa won it with "Houllier's squad" as if that was some sort of nod towards Houllier. I see it the other way around. The squad that Gerard left us was hardly good enough to achieve European qualification, and that weight is on him. Rafa turned them into European champions, and that merit is all his.

Especially as he beat a side virtually entirely composed of legends and/or world class players in Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaká, Shevchenko and Crespo.

Come on mate - I don’t think we appreciate just how good Hyypia, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Hamman and Garcia were. They got to that final for a reason... superb management and superb football.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: May 26, 2019 01:46:11 pm
      Come on mate - I don’t think we appreciate just how good Hyypia, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Hamman and Garcia were. They got to that final for a reason... superb management and superb football.

Those were all good players, some exceptional, some very good in that particular competition, but there's a reason why we have achieved 97 points this season while in 2004/05 we ended level on points with Bolton Wanderers and behind Everton... 5 good players don't make a great team, let alone a great squad... that trophy was a huge achievement by a brilliant manager
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #28: May 30, 2019 12:50:35 am
      Fundamental difference between this team and the 2005 team is that they were European Champions.

You can look good on paper, on Opta, in the eyes of the media, but if you don't win silverware then nobody remembers you.

To prove that fact list the 2007 starting line up without doing any research.
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby
      • Started Topic

• 129 posts | 49 
      Reply #29: May 30, 2019 04:01:50 am
      wow are you sure?, in its day, It was a fantastic team,with a fantastic manager.  How long have you been a fan, or you a another wum,
      Either way, stupid comment.
      Not a wum, been a Liverpool fan since the 70’s and my comment was based on that season, not 1 game, we finished fifth, lost to Everton, Bolton,Birmingham to name just 3 of 14 league defeats that season, I was absolutely delighted how the season ended, but definitely not a stupid comment, just what I saw, and maybe could have worded it better, but stand by it, the current team is light years ahead of them
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: May 30, 2019 10:05:46 am
      you could never say a team with Gerrard in it is rubbish and he could and did on any occasions win games on his own.
      Finnan. Riise Sami and Jamie is not a bad back four , Stevie, Alonso and Didi far from a rubbish side because rubbish sides don't get to a CL final go 3 down and win it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: May 30, 2019 10:07:17 am
      Just rewatched the Istanbul final, compared to this current team, we were rubbish back then

Would take Gerrard and Alonso circa 2005 in a heartbeat.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: May 30, 2019 10:08:55 am

you would need about £350 million to do so . If we had them in our team now we would win everything and its not a reflection on our current lads but these two together matched perfectly in every way
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #33: May 30, 2019 10:58:44 am

Yes but they would probably be the only two I would take, in all other positions the current team is better, I would maybe also take Carragher but in all honesty was he better than Gomez, Matip or Lovren, I'm not so sure, I'm certainly not going to compare him to Virgil.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34: May 30, 2019 11:15:14 am
      Just rewatched the Istanbul final, compared to this current team, we were rubbish back then

no we were not. We had a class team.

Champions of Europe, we pumped 1st half by the best team in Europe, but we came back and showed our class 2nd half, we rode our luck in Injury time, but our legends like Carra, & Gerrard & Dudek etc. played out their skin.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #35: May 30, 2019 11:18:07 am
      Those were all good players, some exceptional, some very good in that particular competition, but there's a reason why we have achieved 97 points this season while in 2004/05 we ended level on points with Bolton Wanderers and behind Everton... 5 good players don't make a great team, let alone a great squad... that trophy was a huge achievement by a brilliant manager

Don't forget back in 2005, Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal were world class teams that would have been so close on winning the title this season.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #36: May 30, 2019 11:42:47 am
      Yes but they would probably be the only two I would take, in all other positions the current team is better, I would maybe also take Carragher but in all honesty was he better than Gomez, Matip or Lovren, I'm not so sure, I'm certainly not going to compare him to Virgil.

I’d have big Sami in a heartbeat ahead of any other our current partners for Virgil, they’d be an awesome pairing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #37: May 30, 2019 12:45:48 pm

wow now Jamie isn't ad good as Matip.Gomez or Lovren ?. did you ever see him play?. He is better than Virgil and here is why go and look at what he won with a sh*t team (so called).
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: May 30, 2019 01:08:25 pm

I’d take Carra or Hyypia over Lovren, Matip and Gomez any day of the week.

Gomez obviously looks promising but he’s proven very little so far, certainly nothing to say he will be at the level of Carra and Hyypia.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: May 30, 2019 01:29:13 pm
      Dont think its a fair comparison anyway.

That team was not built with the mega money that is now available.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #40: May 30, 2019 01:52:59 pm
      Alisson

Alex-Arnold Carragher VanDijk Robertson

Fabinho Alonso Gerrard

Salah Firmino Mane

2005 team gets three players in most likely?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41: May 30, 2019 02:00:23 pm
      Id have to play 3 at the back to get Hyypia, Carra & VVD in the team. ;D.

I do get the point about the current team it is awesome, and when we win on sunday it is probably the best team since the 89 league winning team.

I just think its harsh comparing the 05 team, as time have changed to massively, just like its hard comparing the 70s teams with the 01 team that won the treble, now that was an amazing season.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #42: May 30, 2019 03:07:57 pm
      I do get the point about the current team it is awesome, and when we win on sunday it is probably the best team since the 89 league winning team.
      Yeah, that Arsenal team was special...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43: May 30, 2019 03:21:32 pm
      I’d have big Sami in a heartbeat ahead of any other our current partners for Virgil, they’d be an awesome pairing.

Forgot about Sami, yeah I'd have him in the team, but possibly not as a starter, I think we'd find it shocking how slow he is compared to our current CB's, not sure he'd work in a Klopp team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #44: May 30, 2019 03:23:07 pm
      wow now Jamie isn't ad good as Matip.Gomez or Lovren ?. did you ever see him play?. He is better than Virgil and here is why go and look at what he won with a sh*t team (so called).

Yes I watched him his whole career and he was a very good defender who probably played a couple of season s to many but he certainly was not great, like VVD, not even close in my opinion.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #45: May 30, 2019 03:59:15 pm
      Yeah, that Arsenal team was special...

ok. 89/90 to be precise. ;D

Quick Reply