Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

This team beats the 2005 team

Read 6225 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: This team beats the 2005 team
      Reply #46: May 30, 2019 05:58:52 pm
      Something that cannot be underrated about that 05 team is their heart.

You know who else beats that 05 team... that 05 Milan team, except that didn’t happen.

Does that even make sense? I’m tired
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #47: May 30, 2019 08:08:23 pm
      Come on mate - I don’t think we appreciate just how good Hyypia, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Hamman and Garcia were. They got to that final for a reason... superb management and superb football.

they also went on to win the super cup and the FA Cup
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: May 30, 2019 08:15:18 pm
      Yes I watched him his whole career and he was a very good defender who probably played a couple of season s to many but he certainly was not great, like VVD, not even close in my opinion.

just remind us what Virgil has won because at the end of the day if you play for Liverpool you have to win things to be considered a legend. Saying Carra wasn't great is f***in bonkers and actually explains a lot of your posts
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: May 30, 2019 10:05:02 pm
      Something that cannot be underrated about that 05 team is their heart.

You know who else beats that 05 team... that 05 Milan team, except that didn’t happen.

Does that even make sense? I’m tired

Was just about to say the same.
      On paper that Milan 05 team beats the Liverpool 05 team.
      Football can be crazy sometimes.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #50: May 31, 2019 12:37:12 am
      I think if you put the argument of winning then Taraore gets ahead of Robertson and Diomede gets ahead Mane.  Both aren't fit enough to polish the boots of their current replacements.  For me  I think Carragher was fantastic I'd have him ahead Lovren maybe Matip.  Not sure about Gomez.  At 21 Gomez is better than Carragher at the same age IMO.  I do think Carragher was a very intelligent player but most of his career he played as a proper all out defender not play it from the back so there will have to be assumptions that he will have be able to make them adjustments.  I hope i am not coming across as disprespectful to the legend Carragher because he was a monster of a player that played his whole career under defensive managers.  I think right now he makes it into this team as a player in his peak years but as a 21 year old,  I would take Gomez for this team under the Klopp style of football. 

Gerrard walks into this team with his name on the team sheet first in my opinion.  Personally I would take Alonso of 2005, but apart from his last season the middle season for me loses out to Wijnaldum of this season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #51: May 31, 2019 10:37:28 am
      just remind us what Virgil has won because at the end of the day if you play for Liverpool you have to win things to be considered a legend. Saying Carra wasn't great is f***in bonkers and actually explains a lot of your posts

Your post explains a lot about you, and your inability to construct coherent arguments. If you really think Carragher is better than Virgil simply because he won some trophies then that is just absurd, by that token you must think that Phil Neville was a fantastic footballer and that Le Tissier was sh*t.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #52: May 31, 2019 10:55:36 am

If memory serves me correctly, Carra has won.

1 x FA youth cup
      2 x FA cups
      1 x League cup
      1 x Europa cup
      1 x champions league
      2 x Eufa Super cup

Proper LEGEND !
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #53: May 31, 2019 11:20:04 am
      I think if you put the argument of winning then Taraore gets ahead of Robertson and Diomede gets ahead Mane. 
      Diomede???
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #54: May 31, 2019 11:30:13 am

blast from the past that, didn't he leave in 2003?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #55: May 31, 2019 12:07:37 pm
      Certainly didn't play in the 2005 final!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #56: May 31, 2019 12:46:12 pm
      The current team is better in defence and attack, the midfield is possibly slightly weaker now but not by much. Overall I would back our current team to win 9 times out of 10.

Aye, agree mostly with the exception of Hyppia. He and VVD would make a defense that a rampaging elephants would find it hard to breach.

Wouldn't dismiss that team of 2005 so easily though, like everyone mentions, Alonso, Stevie, Hyppia, Carra, Hamman...would walk into most teams these days.

Was in Liverpool for the final in 2005, will never forget the whole night. Tears at half time, city going into meltdown at final whistle, partying until early hours of the morning...unbelievable experience. Best CL final to date, hands down!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: May 31, 2019 01:04:01 pm
      Reminder of that 2005 team.

Dudek

Finnan
      Carra
      Hyypia
      Traore

Alonso
      Garcia
      Gerrard
      Riise

Kewell

Baros

I'd only take Gerrard,Alonso and Carra from that side. Could make a case for a Hyypia/VVD pairing but I'm going for a Carra/VVD. Finnan might edge out TAA on experience but I've gone for TAA.

Alisson...TAA Carra VVD Robbo...Hendo,Gerrard,Alonso...Salah,Firmino,Mane.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #58: May 31, 2019 01:27:53 pm
      I'd only take Gerrard,Alonso and Carra from that side. Could make a case for a Hyypia/VVD pairing but I'm going for a Carra/VVD. Finnan might edge out TAA on experience but I've gone for TAA.

As classy as he was, I'm not sure Alonso would fit into the current team as I'm not sure he'd have the energy to play in our midfield.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #59: May 31, 2019 01:29:03 pm
      Reminder of that 2005 team.

Dudek

Finnan
      Carra
      Hyypia
      Traore

Alonso
      Garcia
      Gerrard
      Riise

Kewell

Baros

I'd include a young Hyypia, but not the 2005 Hyypia.
      His strength was his positioning in a deep defense, and I think the high line Klopp plays would be a stretch for him at that stage of his career.
      Carragher wasn't the quickest either, but was quick enough I think.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #60: May 31, 2019 03:51:11 pm

Ha ha yeah he wasn't in the team.   The funny think is I've used him as example in banter with Utd fans  comparing him to some of their legends in the years gone by.   He did win a World Cup though so not totally out of context.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #61: May 31, 2019 03:55:22 pm
      Would take Luis Garcia too, I’d much rather have him as an option off our bench than Sturridge or Lallana. Lallana in the final last year was brutal, it was clear at that point the game was going to go Madrid’s way.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #62: May 31, 2019 04:00:38 pm
      Would take Luis Garcia too, I’d much rather have him as an option off our bench than Sturridge or Lallana. Lallana in the final last year was brutal, it was clear at that point the game was going to go Madrid’s way.

Had Cuntinho stayed, we would have been much better able to absorb the Salah injury as you could still have Phil-Bobby-Sadio up front, but no, he had to be an asshole and snake his way to Barcelona and instead we had to use Lallana as the best option off the bench. F**k that guy.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #63: May 31, 2019 04:03:14 pm
      If we are talking about the bench that I would take finnan,  Hamann Garcia and Hyppia,

Quick Reply