Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Club World Cup 2019

Read 14700 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Club World Cup 2019
      Jun 04, 2019 12:17:22 pm
      So yesterday the club world cup for the next two years was confirmed - being held in a couple of stadiums in Qatar as warm up for World Cup events.

Liverpool and whoever the South American Champions are will only enter at the semi final stage so two matches maximum.

Playoff for QF spot

Hienghène Sport (OFC Champions) v Al-Sadd (AFC - Hosts)

Enter at QF

Monterrey (CONCACAF Champions)
      Espérance de Tunis (CAF Champions)
      TBD (AFC Champions)

Enter at SF

Liverpool (UEFA Champions)
      TBD (CONMENBOL Champions)

But with this happening in December - when I think the final group game of the CL is, not to mention a busy Premier League period ahead - what's everyone's thoughts on how we should approach it?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Club World Cup 2019
      Reply #1: Jun 04, 2019 12:22:20 pm
      So yesterday the club world cup for the next two years was confirmed - being held in a couple of stadiums in Qatar as warm up for World Cup events.

Liverpool and whoever the South American Champions are will only enter at the semi final stage so two matches maximum.

Playoff for QF spot

Enter at QF

TBD (AFC Champions)

Enter at SF

But with this happening in December - when I think the final group game of the CL is, not to mention a busy Premier League period ahead - what's everyone's thoughts on how we should approach it?

In it to win it. A trophy we haven't won yet so go for it.

As for esperance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48483152
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2: Jun 04, 2019 12:25:07 pm
      Would be nice to win but really not arsed if we are going for the title. City give up so few opportunities and the margins are so fine I worry about how this impacts us in the league with the travel and additional games. Especially combined with expecting us to go deep into the latter stages of the CL, it’s a lot of games.

The semi final we should breeze through and I’d be rotating heavily there. For the final, I’d also rotate and get some of the major players on if things aren’t going our way.

Would be nice to win though, especially after 05 where we had about 3 goals disallowed!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2019 12:36:14 pm
      Would be nice to win it but not at any cost to League form and CL.

A tricky one to balance to be honest and we'll need a big squad next season to cope with the sheer number of games.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2019 12:37:25 pm
      Would be nice to win though, especially after 05 where we had about 3 goals disallowed!

This. I can’t remember the exact details of the goals but am I right in saying that only 1 of them was correctly ruled out? Either way, it feels like we have unfinished business. That game put an end to our impressive run of 11 clean sheets and the trophy really should have been ours.

We’ve not won this before, you can only get to it by winning the Champions League and it’s a great chance to potentially end the year with 4 pieces of silverware. I think we are more than capable of handling these extra couple of games. Does the winter break come into play next season? Makes it even easier to handle this competition if it does.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2019 02:18:02 pm
      We should rotate to keep players fresh. A mixture of players and we will be fine. A cup that we never won, so yes we go for it!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2019 02:53:46 pm

Playoff for QF spot

Enter at QF

TBD (AFC Champions)

Enter at SF

We should go for it but rotate the team as much as possible, depending on the opposition, it will be yet another trophy which Citeh with all their money don't have, but they'll probably just equate it to the FA Cup ;-)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7: Jun 04, 2019 03:30:41 pm

Playoff for QF spot

Enter at QF

TBD (AFC Champions)

Enter at SF

Be nice to win this one.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,756 posts | 238 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #8: Jun 04, 2019 03:36:42 pm

What a farce of a match that was vs Sao Paulo, besides poor calls the keeper played out of his skin and hit the post a few times. I only remember that match because getting up at ungodly hour to watch it. .

As far as this season yes it makes a already compact December schedule more packed but this is the cost of winning the UCL so we have to figure out way to work through it and hopefully win it so we can have another badge on our kit (I think they still do that)

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #9: Jun 04, 2019 03:52:32 pm
      We will obv. go for it, and the players will be keen, but we will defo. be using the squad, anyone with slight knocks wont be risked.

Busy season ahead, Im hopeful we have better runs in the domestic cups, and the fringe guys get more games, this would be an extension of that Id imagine.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: Jun 04, 2019 04:10:03 pm
      We are competing in seven competitions next season technically when you add this, the Charity Shield and the Super Cup to the list.

A problem I am happy to have as a Liverpool fan but you have to wonder what it will do to our Premier League aspirations?

December can be heavy enough and having to travel to Qatar won’t help! Again it will be for me kids in the Carabao and FA Cup.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Jun 04, 2019 05:12:27 pm
      I suppose this will mean one or two league fixtures rearranged to midweek matches. As for the event itself, could be like a training camp in Qatar with a couple if matches thrown in for good measure.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Jun 04, 2019 05:25:15 pm

Playoff for QF spot

Enter at QF

TBD (AFC Champions)

Enter at SF

Just read in The Echo that the club itself were actually surprised by this news.

FIFA.......
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #13: Jun 04, 2019 06:05:58 pm
      Not too sure if this competition is a good idea tbh, with fixtures in the Premiership and Champions league making it a very busy time for the club and players. Seemingly very much up for debate by our forum members.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,084 posts | 1046 
      Reply #14: Jun 04, 2019 06:23:06 pm
      This is why we need a little bit bigger squad. Prioritizing the league & CL is obvious, but I would love to see us give the Domestic cups a little more attention. (Along with something like this)

Getting a few extra guys in will give us a better chance at winning some of these cups. Going deeper into some these cups gives us more games to give more players game time. Giving players more game time is a huge attraction and insensitive for outside players to take a squad player role with us.

Teams like City can get dudes like Mahrez and Jesus to sign in lesser roles b/c they know they will always get game time of some sort. Our 11 is awesome, but we rely on kids for domestic cup games. Dudes like Werner and Fekir may be into coming if they know we were committing to winning everything we can. We cant commit to going for everything until we get a bigger squad. The two go hand in hand. Hope this makes sense
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Jun 04, 2019 06:27:09 pm
      This is why we need a little bit bigger squad. Prioritizing the league & CL is obvious, but I would love to see us give the Domestic cups a little more attention. (Along with something like this)

Getting a few extra guys in will give us a better chance at winning some of these cups. Going deeper into some these cups gives us more games to give more players game time. Giving players more game time is a huge attraction and insensitive for outside players to take a squad player role with us.

Teams like City can get dudes like Mahrez and Jesus to sign in lesser roles b/c they know they will always get game time of some sort. Our 11 is awesome, but we rely on kids for domestic cup games. Dudes like Werner and Fekir may be into coming if they know we were committing to winning everything we can. We cant commit to going for everything until we get a bigger squad. The two go hand in hand. Hope this makes sense

I think a top player who isn't interested in coming after our Premier League and Champions League seasons, isn't going to be more persuaded because we are showing more commitment to the League Cup or this FIFA event.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Jun 04, 2019 06:32:05 pm
      Not too sure if this competition is a good idea tbh, with fixtures in the Premiership and Champions league making it a very busy time for the club and players. Seemingly very much up for debate by our forum members.

I think it has been "iffy" for European clubs from the beginning. I remember United didn't play in the FA Cup the one year because of this event (different format).
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #17: Jun 04, 2019 06:39:10 pm
      Liverpool should aim for every trophy. Get the team used to winning things regularly, whether its the League Cup or Club World Cup.

On a somewhat related note as to who qualified for this cup, at least for those unaware of the situation in Africa right now, in my opinion CAF are a farcical organization, and their hand holding of Esperance in that final with Wydad was disgraceful. I watched that entire match, and went through 1 hour 20 minutes of officials lying about whether or not they even informed both teams that VAR was being used in the match over an obvious goal for Wydad. The players called for VAR after the ref waved off the goal (the VAR monitor was literally right there), and the ref and other officials kept changing their story as to whether or not VAR was being used in the game or not.

The president even had to be informed as to what was even going on in the pitch and what the rules even were. If this happened with Liverpool vs Spurs in the Champions League, everyone and their mom would be calling for FIFA to do something about this blatant corruption. Also, the Esperance fans throwing rocks, and bottles at some of the Wydad players was uncalled for. I just couldn't believe what I was watching. Sorry for the rant, but the second I saw who was in this tournament, I got a bit peeved, to say the least.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,946 posts | 1353 
      Reply #18: Jun 04, 2019 06:41:02 pm
      Truth is the Title and the Champions League are the real targets. The 2 domestic cup will still be important but priority will be the top 2.

This Club World Cup will worth winning and the revenue will be important. Given the commitments next season the club should be looking at strengthening. Some will leave obviously and given transfer inflation, money coming in will need to be of a very reasonable sum, to help fund acquisitions.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,084 posts | 1046 
      Reply #19: Jun 04, 2019 06:44:34 pm
      I think a top player who isn't interested in coming after our Premier League and Champions League seasons, isn't going to be more persuaded because we are showing more commitment to the League Cup or this FIFA event.

I definitely get your point, but young players like Harry Wilson want to leave b/c of lack of playing time. The deeper we go into lower cup competitions the more games we can promise players of Wilson's caliber. We still dont have a squad to contend for everything like City. If we continue to improve our squad we will continue to improve and be even more attractive to outsiders.

Going deep in everything is important for growth, development, morale, etc.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #20: Jun 04, 2019 06:54:16 pm
      It's a yes from me, to get this bad boy on our shirts would for me, be great. Missed out so many times before, (5).

It will bring extra money in, and I guess bring the ARE extension a little closer... may be.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,084 posts | 1046 
      Reply #21: Jun 04, 2019 07:04:21 pm
      It's a yes from me, to get this bad boy on our shirts would for me, be great. Missed out so many times before, (5).

It will bring extra money in, and I guess bring the ARE extension a little closer... may be.

As a kit collector I'm with you. ;D.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,453 posts | 3274 
      Reply #22: Jun 04, 2019 07:16:10 pm
      It’s only two games - the squad will play in the FA Cup game.

Want to see the club take it seriously and win it - it’s a trophy we have never won before

Quick Reply