Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Club World Cup 2019

Read 14730 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Club World Cup 2019
      Reply #23: Jun 04, 2019 08:28:43 pm
      Liverpool should aim for every trophy. Get the team used to winning things regularly, whether its the League Cup or Club World Cup.

On a somewhat related note as to who qualified for this cup, at least for those unaware of the situation in Africa right now, in my opinion CAF are a farcical organization, and their hand holding of Esperance in that final with Wydad was disgraceful. I watched that entire match, and went through 1 hour 20 minutes of officials lying about whether or not they even informed both teams that VAR was being used in the match over an obvious goal for Wydad. The players called for VAR after the ref waved off the goal (the VAR monitor was literally right there), and the ref and other officials kept changing their story as to whether or not VAR was being used in the game or not.

The president even had to be informed as to what was even going on in the pitch and what the rules even were. If this happened with Liverpool vs Spurs in the Champions League, everyone and their mom would be calling for FIFA to do something about this blatant corruption. Also, the Esperance fans throwing rocks, and bottles at some of the Wydad players was uncalled for. I just couldn't believe what I was watching. Sorry for the rant, but the second I saw who was in this tournament, I got a bit peeved, to say the least.

I can see why that would be maddening for fans of one of the clubs. I found it funny the notions of going to FIFA to do something about the corruption in CAF.

"Hello, Al Capone? I want to alert you to some unethical practices of some of your employees. You may want to do something about that." 🙂
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #24: Jun 04, 2019 11:21:30 pm
      The impact on the league is minimal. One league game to be rescheduled, the last game before Christmas, which means we'll be the team with a game in hand for some time after. We can always bring the rescheduled game forward if necessary.

The gain is another trophy, another title, and another badge to put on the shirt for the following 12 months.

We will put our strongest team out there, as we should. It's not the third round of the cup at home v Grimsby, it's against the best the rest of the world can offer, whatever quality that best is. The European team usually wins this, so take it seriously and it's a banker to put another major trophy in the cabinet. For the first time in our case.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #25: Jun 04, 2019 11:36:43 pm
      Prioritizing the league & CL is obvious, but I would love to see us give the Domestic cups a little more attention.

In defence of last season I think we didn't have the easiest of ties in either competition.

If we had City's opponents then I'm sure we would have done a lot better.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #26: Jun 04, 2019 11:56:12 pm
      In defence of last season I think we didn't have the easiest of ties in either competition.

If we had City's opponents then I'm sure we would have done a lot better.

For sure. Chelsea and Wolves were tough draws.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Jun 05, 2019 07:57:22 am
      Seriously, you would require a crystal ball for this call. If it falls over a congested period of games and / or it conflicts with any other trophy runs. Then I for one would either spew it, or send the bench / reserves.
      Coming up to the Christmas congestion as well, FM it could be a decision we live to regret?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #28: Jun 05, 2019 08:25:40 am
      Seriously, you would require a crystal ball for this call. If it falls over a congested period of games and / or it conflicts with any other trophy runs. Then I for one would either spew it, or send the bench / reserves.
      Coming up to the Christmas congestion as well, FM it could be a decision we live to regret?

Totally wrong attitude, this is a big trophy, you only get to be in it by winning the CL so we should really focus on winning it, even at the expense of the league cup or FA cup.
      Anyway By December we'll be 6-7 points ahead of Citeh and comfortably through to the knockout stages of CL and final rounds of the League cup :-)
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #29: Jun 05, 2019 08:25:52 am
      Should be clearly last in our targets next year and a definite run out for fringe players which will also give players a rest who need one
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30: Jun 05, 2019 08:57:43 am
      For sure. Chelsea and Wolves were tough draws.

Yup, we had rubbish draws in both cups. whereas City cruised through with easy draws. Be nice for us to get some easy draws this season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #31: Jun 05, 2019 08:58:51 am
      Totally wrong attitude, this is a big trophy, you only get to be in it by winning the CL so we should really focus on winning it, even at the expense of the league cup or FA cup.
      Anyway By December we'll be 6-7 points ahead of Citeh and comfortably through to the knockout stages of CL and final rounds of the League cup :-)

We will go to win it obviously, but what players are used will be decided on fitness and how many games we have in December. It could be a crazy month if were still in the league cup.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Jun 05, 2019 09:16:20 am
      We will go to win it obviously, but what players are used will be decided on fitness and how many games we have in December. It could be a crazy month if were still in the league cup.

I'm all for rotating players, especially in the semi final where we will probably facing the equivalent of a league 1 opponent, but for the final we should play a strong team and really try to win this.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #33: Jun 05, 2019 01:20:55 pm
      Got to go for it, but it is in the way. Hopefully we will have an easier than normal champions league group and we will have qualified by the time this comes round.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #34: Jun 05, 2019 01:41:34 pm

Real Madrid's two games was the week before Christmas last year.  The last CL group game was the 11th December so I'd imagine that would be the schedule once again.

It would definitely impact at least one and likely two Premier League games.  I think Liverpool will look at who the opposition is around the 16th December and then decide whether they will miss one or two PL games. 

It could be a crazy month if were still in the league cup.

Yep if we got to the quarter final in that then that would need re-arranging.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #35: Jun 05, 2019 01:58:57 pm
      I propose the club create a new club...say..er..call them Liverpool City...yeah..and enter them into the FA cup and League Cup and play in..er..Division one..yeah...an..er..well that's it really..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #36: Jun 08, 2019 05:11:11 am
      Overseas trip to watch our Boys play, you say!!  ;D ;D ;D

I've got the bug!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #37: Jul 26, 2019 02:58:42 pm
      As expected will be played before Christmas.

Tournament dates are the 11th December to the 21st December but LFC's games will be

Semi-Final 18th December and
      Final or 3rd place play off 21st December

We were due to play West Ham away on the 21st December so that will have to be shifted.

We are due to play Watford (H) on the 14th December and then Leicester (A) on Boxing Day.  Can't see these being affected.

Only other game that could be affected would be a possible League Cup Quarter Final.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Jul 26, 2019 03:07:43 pm
      West Ham game moved to March I think I read.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39: Jul 26, 2019 04:15:08 pm
      As expected will be played before Christmas.

Tournament dates are the 11th December to the 21st December but LFC's games will be

Semi-Final 18th December and
      Final or 3rd place play off 21st December

We were due to play West Ham away on the 21st December so that will have to be shifted.

We are due to play Watford (H) on the 14th December and then Leicester (A) on Boxing Day.  Can't see these being affected.

Only other game that could be affected would be a possible League Cup Quarter Final.

The semifinal for this we should be able to field a lineup similar to some.of these preseason games and still advance, then use the first XI for the final vs the South Americans. Should not use our main players twice at this event.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Jul 26, 2019 05:20:07 pm
      The semifinal for this we should be able to field a lineup similar to some.of these preseason games and still advance, then use the first XI for the final vs the South Americans. Should not use our main players twice at this event.

yeah I agree, it shouldn't really be to disruptive to our season and should be another piece of silverware.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #41: Jul 26, 2019 08:07:29 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      The semifinal for this we should be able to field a lineup similar to some of these preseason games and still advance

Which line up exactly?

The one v Seville, that we lost.
      The one v Dortmund, that we lost.
      The one v Lisbon, that we didn't win.

We have to take this seriously and play our strongest team. If we do, we'll win the tournament. It's 2 games in perfect weather conditions. Alternatively, if we would rather sacrifice being World Champions just to play West Ham, we have to not win the European Cup. And who wants to do that?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #42: Jul 26, 2019 09:15:00 pm
      10 games in 29 days in December then.

Could really do with starting the Champions League group well so that we're qualified by the time that last game comes around. Would be a handy break for a few of our key players.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #43: Jul 29, 2019 06:57:16 pm
      Could really do with starting the Champions League group well so that we're qualified by the time that last game comes around.

Does that sound remotely like something we would do! ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #44: Sep 09, 2019 02:21:36 pm
      Quote from Mickred
      Got to go for it, but it is in the way. Hopefully we will have an easier than normal champions league group and we will have qualified by the time this comes round.

By the time it comes around, the group will be finished. I can see the Watford game brought forward to the earliest possible ko that weekend.

The tournament is unofficially designed for the European and South American champions to play out the final, as they always did before it expanded. Doesn't always quite go to plan, but only teams from those continents have ever won it, and it's 7 years since the Europeans didn't.

Aside from all that, there is another space on the Wall Of Champions ready to be filled, just in time to show it off to the opposition for the big home league game in January.

Quick Reply