Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Rotation and Depth in 2018-19 season and going forward

Read 3494 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Rotation and Depth in 2018-19 season and going forward
      Jun 05, 2019 07:50:36 pm
      Some discussion in the Club World Cup thread and elsewhere about how many matches we might be playing next season and the possible need for expanding the size of the squad to deal with fixture congestion, etc. There is an interest in having more success in the domestic cups plus this year's additional competitions like European SuperCup and FIFA Club World Championship.

It has me thinking about Klopp's use of the squad this season and the common thought that City have a deeper squad than us, and that being why they won both domestic cups while we lost at the first hurdle of both. A few details:

First, just how weakened of a team did Jürgen choose in those two cup matches?

League Cup 3rd Round – September 26, Anfield
      Liverpool 1, Chelsea 2
      Lineup: Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Fabinho, Keita, Sturridge, Shaquiri, Mane
      Subs: Henderson, Salah, Firmino

So, a few fringe players but a pretty strong side overall.

FA Cup 3rd Round – January 7, Molineux
      Wolverhampton 2, Liverpool 1
      Lineup: Mignolet, Camacho, Fabinho, Lovren, Moreno, Keita, Milner, Jones, Shaquiri, Origi, Sturridge
      Subs: Hoever, Salah, Firmino

This one had a few more players from the outskirts, and was one of the very few starts for Sturridge and Origi. Match came in the middle of an injury spell and a heavy period, fixture-wise.

Now let's look at our most common lineup, appearance-wise

Premier League and Champions League (51 Matches)
      Appearances (Starts-Subs)

GK: Allison 51 (51-0)
      D: Trent Alexander-Arnold 40 (38-2)
      D: Virgil 50 (50-0)
      D: Joel Matip 30 (25-5)
      D: Andy Robertson 48 (48-0)
      M: Gini Wijnaldum 47 (43-4)
      M: Jordan Henderson 43 (29-14)
      M: James Milner 43 (29-14)
      F: Mohammad Salah 50 (49-1)
      F: Sadio Mane 49 (48-1)
      F Bobby Firmino 46 (39-7)

Other Key Players
      Fabinho 39 (28-11)
      Naby Keita 31 (20-11)
      Shaqiri 28 (13-15)
      Joe Gomez 25 (17-8)
      Daniel Sturridge 25 (6-19)
      Divock Origi 19 (5-14)
      Dejan Lovren 16 (13-3)

Thirteen players starting 20 matches or more (how does that compare to Man City?). Only 15 with double-digit starts and at the most, 18 you could consider regular players. I think you'd have to look at this and say the playing staff have been robust this season.

So it was 53 competitive matches for the campaign. Next season we are guaranteed 50 and could play as many as 66 (not including any Cup replays here because I don't know the latest anymore on when they do those and when they go to penalties instead). Do you feel we need to add to the squad?

Klopp has already told Sturridge and Moreno goodbye. Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain should feature much more regularly this coming season.

Keep in mind the following potential players for some of these matches, including League Cup, SuperCup, Charity Shield and Club World Cup (all before the January loan period): Backup GK, Adam Lallana, Curtis Jones, Ben Woodburn, Rhian Brewster, Harry Wilson and (less likely) Nat Phillips, Marko Grujic, Sheyi Ojo, Ovie Ejaria, Kijana Hoever, George Johnston, Adam Lewis.

So, just a conversation starter about our relative squad depth and what we like for the upcoming season (even as we continue on our high from winning the Champions League at the weekend. Hard to believe the preseason begins in less than a month.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Rotation and Depth in 2018-19 season and going forward
      Reply #1: Jun 06, 2019 04:18:39 pm
      Yup, if we have better cup runs next season we will need the squad, guys will be getting lots more games.

We were a wee bit unlucky in the cups, the squad was used, but chelsea game was 50/50, we lost. then wolves game, they scored a worldie and we never really got into the game.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2: Jun 06, 2019 04:57:52 pm
      Yup, if we have better cup runs next season we will need the squad, guys will be getting lots more games.

We were a wee bit unlucky in the cups, the squad was used, but chelsea game was 50/50, we lost. then wolves game, they scored a worldie and we never really got into the game.

Wolves game we had a bloody year 11 full back at centre back didn't we? Cant be doing that next season for sure.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,453 posts | 3274 
      Reply #3: Jun 06, 2019 05:53:34 pm
      Wolves game we had a bloody year 11 full back at centre back didn't we? Cant be doing that next season for sure.
      It was the FA Cup and it was during the little injury issues - but it’s good minutes on the pitch for these guys
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jun 06, 2019 08:39:52 pm
      A lot of it depends who you get in the cup draws as well IMO. We really sh*t out on our draws last season, Chelsea and Wolves. It’s difficult to rotate your team against that kind of opposition, especially when they barely change it up themselves. Then don’t forget we had to face up against Napoli and PSG in the group stage of the CL. Compare that to City and games like Rotherham, Barnet or whoever they played, they can essentially treat them games as a training session it’s that easy so won’t take as much out of them as say us against Wolves. Although to be fair, I think we were very unlucky against Wolves, I think a draw would have been a fair result there, ironic too that the players that actually cost us that day were our more experienced ones - think Milner had a mare and gifted a goal if I remember right.

If you want to be successful and win lots of silverware then you have to play a lot of games, which makes me wonder why it almost seems as though some people then moan we have so many games to play.

We need to add to the depth of the team, that’s for sure but we also need to have a bit more luck with injuries and maybe bit of a nicer draw in the cups where it doesn’t take so much out of the players or where we can really change it up and still get a convincing progression.

The winter break will help though.

Yet he barely put a foot wrong. Shame that wasn’t the case for the more experienced players that day.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #5: Jun 06, 2019 11:18:23 pm
      Very relevant thread for us. I actually think we had a good year so far as injuries go. Our front three were available for the vast majority of the season and the same applies to key players such as Alisson, VVD and Robbo. If we were to lossy amp and Firmino for 3 months we’d be in a real jam. City just went the season missing their best player KDB for most of the season and didn’t ant miss a beat.

We need another forward, a left back and a 10/Cam I think
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Jun 06, 2019 11:32:26 pm
      Very relevant thread for us. I actually think we had a good year so far as injuries go. Our front three were available for the vast majority of the season and the same applies to key players such as Alisson, VVD and Robbo. If we were to lossy amp and Firmino for 3 months we’d be in a real jam. City just went the season missing their best player KDB for most of the season and didn’t ant miss a beat.

We need another forward, a left back and a 10/Cam I think

Agree we actually had pretty good fortune when it comes to injuries. Look at those numbers in the OP. The very high percentage of the starts in the PL and CL are from the same 13-15 players. Yes, we had a shortage of center backs for that FA Cup match (still wondering what exactly happened to Lovren that night) and I think we were a bit short in midfield at one point during the run-in, but overall we were a pretty healthy run,

One thing I especially agree with King Kenny about: We want to be playing in a lot of matches and competitions. That means we are having success. Like most of you, my calendar is pretty much set by whether the Reds are playing. Long breaks are depressing and short breaks are full of delight in watching our team. I get it about needing to handle the load for the players' sake over the season, but I would never think of being in a match/competition as a bad thing. I'm even looking forward to the preseason (although the current afterglow is sufficient for managing this break).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Jun 07, 2019 09:26:23 am
      Thirteen players starting 20 matches or more (how does that compare to Man City?). Only 15 with double-digit starts and at the most, 18 you could consider regular players. I think you'd have to look at this and say the playing staff have been robust this season.

Man City had 20 players making 20 appearances. 

After those 20 though, they had Mendy with 15 matches and then effectively players with the odd game.  They had an active, involved squad as such of about 21 players.

We had 17 players who made 20 appearances.  Daniel Sturridge is one of those players but Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain wasn't.  Lallana/Lovren just outside that list.  I think we need two extra players who are going to be at the kind of level pushing for 20 appearances. 

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #8: Jun 07, 2019 03:26:52 pm
      Liverpool confirm Premier League retained list

Liverpool FC's Premier League retained list was released on Friday, confirming the departures of several first team and Academy players after the 2018-19 season.

As announced earlier this week, Alberto Moreno and Daniel Sturridge are set to leave the Reds upon the expiry of their contracts this summer having helped the club clinch its sixth European Cup.

Academy graduate Connor Randall, who made eight senior appearances under Jürgen Klopp, and goalkeeper Adam Bogdan, who played six games for the first team, will depart ahead of 2019-20 too.

Academy players Juanma, Conor Masterson, Glen McAuley, Corey Whelan and Ben Williams are also set to leave the club.

Contract offers have been made to Bobby Adekanye, Daniel Atherton, George Johnston, Abdi Sharif and Edvard Tagseth.

Everybody at Liverpool FC thanks the departing players for their contributions and wishes them the best of luck for the future.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/353300-liverpool-confirm-premier-league-retained-list?fbclid=IwAR2TaXCL95d1zbuVKxBxCsHGr25CpQ5Fzpqt9dg1uPZUk9R-a1lvBK48kW8

Thanks and good luck to those who are leaving.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Jun 07, 2019 03:33:05 pm
      Liverpool confirm Premier League retained list

Liverpool FC's Premier League retained list was released on Friday, confirming the departures of several first team and Academy players after the 2018-19 season.

As announced earlier this week, Alberto Moreno and Daniel Sturridge are set to leave the Reds upon the expiry of their contracts this summer having helped the club clinch its sixth European Cup.

Academy graduate Connor Randall, who made eight senior appearances under Jürgen Klopp, and goalkeeper Adam Bogdan, who played six games for the first team, will depart ahead of 2019-20 too.

Academy players Juanma, Conor Masterson, Glen McAuley, Corey Whelan and Ben Williams are also set to leave the club.

Contract offers have been made to Bobby Adekanye, Daniel Atherton, George Johnston, Abdi Sharif and Edvard Tagseth.

Everybody at Liverpool FC thanks the departing players for their contributions and wishes them the best of luck for the future.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/353300-liverpool-confirm-premier-league-retained-list?fbclid=IwAR2TaXCL95d1zbuVKxBxCsHGr25CpQ5Fzpqt9dg1uPZUk9R-a1lvBK48kW8

Thanks and good luck to those who are leaving.
      2 immediate thoughts: Klopp's reaction after the goal from the corner that Bogdan let in vs. Exeter is still the closest I've heard him to publicly ripping a player. Makes me laugh now. Also, we offered Adekanye? Thought he was off to Lazio.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Jun 07, 2019 03:41:30 pm
      Man City had 20 players making 20 appearances. 

After those 20 though, they had Mendy with 15 matches and then effectively players with the odd game.  They had an active, involved squad as such of about 21 players.

We had 17 players who made 20 appearances.  Daniel Sturridge is one of those players but Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain wasn't.  Lallana/Lovren just outside that list.  I think we need two extra players who are going to be at the kind of level pushing for 20 appearances.

Thanks for the great info. I guess City had about 10 more matches from various competitions (although we had ONE more match in the biggest!). So if Brewster orsomeone new will replace Sturridge, it seems like forward and fullback would be the positions that could use another body in terms of match load and rotations. Does Harry Wilson get a chance to fulfill the former? Would a front three of Origi, Shaq and Brewster or Wilson be acceptable for a dozen or so matches?
      I take it no one is interested in James Milner.as the backup option for both left and right back? Rafa Camacho could have seen a good bit of first team action in that role but I guess he wants to move on and play forward.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #11: Jun 07, 2019 03:42:26 pm
      2 immediate thoughts: Klopp's reaction after the goal from the corner that Bogdan let in vs. Exeter is still the closest I've heard him to publicly ripping a player. Makes me laugh now. Also, we offered Adekanye? Thought he was off to Lazio.

We offered him a contract, he may or may not accept.

Quick Reply