Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Do we need a new midfielder this summer?

Read 12645 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Do we need a new midfielder this summer?
      Jun 07, 2019 10:32:53 am
      Some of you would have already seen it on twitter but Arsene Wenger (very eloquently) made an interesting point on beIN sports during the aftermath of our Champions League Final victory. He noted that if there is an area we can improve on it is the technical quality and reading twitter/other forums many have pointed towards the midfield as an area where that improvement on a technical level can be made. But Arsene did counter this by saying that sometimes in search of technical brilliance you potentially undo/overlook the emotional and attitudinal qualities that he says has made us European champions.

Now if you look at our midfield options going into pre season we have:

Gini
      Milner
      Hendo
      Keita
      Fabinho
      Chamberlain
      Shaqiri
      Lallana (still unsure whether he will definitely be here next season)

Strong options I'm sure you'd agree. But can we improve on that? For me, I see a group of midfielders that are technically very good but even better in terms of physicality, work rate and most of all, attitude. In terms of technique for sure we can improve but what is it that we have to improve upon if you believe that our midfield can be improved upon? And, if a new midfielder did come into the team what would his role be and what would his qualities be?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Do we need a new midfielder this summer?
      Reply #1: Jun 07, 2019 12:26:46 pm
      Some of you would have already seen it on twitter but Arsene Wenger (very eloquently) made an interesting point on beIN sports during the aftermath of our Champions League Final victory. He noted that if there is an area we can improve on it is the technical quality and reading twitter/other forums many have pointed towards the midfield as an area where that improvement on a technical level can be made. But Arsene did counter this by saying that sometimes in search of technical brilliance you potentially undo/overlook the emotional and attitudinal qualities that he says has made us European champions.

Now if you look at our midfield options going into pre season we have:

Gini
      Milner
      Hendo
      Keita
      Fabinho
      Chamberlain
      Shaqiri
      Lallana (still unsure whether he will definitely be here next season)

Strong options I'm sure you'd agree. But can we improve on that? For me, I see a group of midfielders that are technically very good but even better in terms of physicality, work rate and most of all, attitude. In terms of technique for sure we can improve but what is it that we have to improve upon if you believe that our midfield can be improved upon? And, if a new midfielder did come into the team what would his role be and what would his qualities be?

Good questions and thread.

I would argue we don't need a new player, because the quality that perhaps was least evident in our midfield this season (and I'm talking very small margins), is the skillful, slasher, creative type. But both of those can come from a fit and settled Naby Keita and a fit Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain . It reminds that we performed as highly as we did without a major contribution from either of these players (especially Alex). Get them back and on song and we can be even better.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Jun 07, 2019 12:48:52 pm
      No we need replacements for Daniel and Moreno. We have OX and Naby who will add a lot to our midfield next season
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Jun 07, 2019 01:15:54 pm
      no we dont. simples.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4: Jun 07, 2019 01:28:02 pm
      No not a priority. We have a excellent captain and all round midfielders.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Jun 07, 2019 01:38:46 pm
      When Wenger talks of that technical brilliance player, I think he is more referring to a playmaker type, isn't he? Someone like Coutinho, Isco, B.Silva, D.Silva, Messi, J.Rodriguez etc? I actually think we have that type of player in Shaqiri. Shaqiri may not be as good as your Silva's, Eriksen and Messi, Coutinho and Isco, but his left foot is sure as hell as good, if not better as their main foot. He certainly has the ability.

As for our midfield, I think it's a perfectly balanced group. We have a strong mixture of technical and industrious group of midfielders. Where Hendo and Milner are more your industrious players, we then have players like Keita, Lallana, Ox and Wijnaldum who are technically strong but have that industrious edge to them.

I don't think we need to add anymore to our midfielder area, especially knowing Lallana and Milner are 99% staying with Keita in his second season and the return of Ox. However, I do think we can upgrade, but definitely not needed.

If we do decide on upgrading, I would love to see us linked to the likes of, Rabiot, Saul, Ndombele or Aouar for the MC role, and for the playmaking one, Maddison or Fekir would be great!
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2019 01:43:01 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Jun 07, 2019 03:47:16 pm
      When Wenger talks of that technical brilliance player, I think he is more referring to a playmaker type, isn't he? Someone like Coutinho, Isco, B.Silva, D.Silva, Messi, J.Rodriguez etc? I actually think we have that type of player in Shaqiri. Shaqiri may not be as good as your Silva's, Eriksen and Messi, Coutinho and Isco, but his left foot is sure as hell as good, if not better as their main foot. He certainly has the ability.

As for our midfield, I think it's a perfectly balanced group. We have a strong mixture of technical and industrious group of midfielders. Where Hendo and Milner are more your industrious players, we then have players like Keita, Lallana, Ox and Wijnaldum who are technically strong but have that industrious edge to them.

I don't think we need to add anymore to our midfielder area, especially knowing Lallana and Milner are 99% staying with Keita in his second season and the return of Ox. However, I do think we can upgrade, but definitely not needed.

If we do decide on upgrading, I would love to see us linked to the likes of, Rabiot, Saul, Ndombele or Aouar for the MC role, and for the playmaking one, Maddison or Fekir would be great!

If we signed Fekir, who would be our first choice midfield three?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: Jun 07, 2019 03:56:27 pm
      If we signed Fekir, who would be our first choice midfield three?

I see Fekir more an attacking midfielder/forward than attacking midfielder/midfielder, therefore I see him rotating with Firmino and Salah more than a midfielder player. I think he would offer more creativity to unlock low block teams than Firmino if played as a false 9, he also has a mean accurate left foot!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #8: Jun 07, 2019 06:36:39 pm
      We can never have enough good players and although on first look we don't need another midfielder I still think we miss a real playmaker.

Whether you think that is a midfielder or a forward I'd like to see us sign someone like a Fekir.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9: Jun 07, 2019 06:45:12 pm
      Yes
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Jun 07, 2019 06:49:53 pm
      If the right player comes along then get him.

Young talent like Kai Havertz would be ideal to bring in if we could just because he’s so good.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Jun 07, 2019 06:59:07 pm
      No, not unless we lose someone
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,102 posts | 884 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #12: Jun 07, 2019 08:06:44 pm
      We should always strive to improve
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Jun 07, 2019 08:15:15 pm
      We should always strive to improve

Who should we replace then?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,102 posts | 884 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #14: Jun 07, 2019 08:23:52 pm
      Milner won't be able to complete a season as tough as this season he will play but will start to struggle
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,471 posts | 698 
      Reply #15: Jun 07, 2019 08:26:39 pm
      you mean like a versatile midfielder / winger? with premier league experience? can play behind the front 3 in center midfield or on the wing?

possibly Brazilian?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16: Jun 07, 2019 08:46:34 pm
      I dont think we need any more. It was a real strength of ours as it was last season. Add into the equation Keita will improve for the run and Ox will be ready to roll next season after a full pre season too. Those 2 things alone should see us improve the midfield that was already strong.

Grujic is also a wildcard entry if he is wanted here by Klopp next season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Jun 07, 2019 10:15:24 pm
      I’d say we are still lacking that replacement for Coutinho so if a player like Fekir or Fernandes came in then I think we would benefit because we could do with more productivity in attack from the midfield but I wouldn’t say we need a midfielder as a priority. Certainly don’t need one in a similar mould to what we already have.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #18: Jun 07, 2019 10:26:04 pm
      Isco will probably be on the market who would turn him down as a LFC player?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Jun 07, 2019 11:18:25 pm
      Yes we most certainly do, the secret of a winning side imo is to strengthen when possible and if the right bloke is available,  but he has to fit in like a hand to a glove,

Lots of clickbait surrounding Coutinho atm and although I wouldn't say no to his return i think though that that ship has sailed,
      A player that sticks out for me is Ruben Neves from Wolves,  he's already a top player but imagine what working with  Klopp would do for his career,
      Now yes, we do have a abundance of midfielders, however, Millies legs can't last forever no matter how much Ribena he has,  Lallana is to injury prone and i think he'll be gone before August anyway, 
      Its quality we need to add to our ranks,  yes Hendo, Gini, Naby, Ox et al tick all the boxes but we still need to have like or like replacement's,
      Ruben Neves is a player I believe would thrive and give Jürgen a few selection headaches next season, he's quality and fits the bill for me.

YNWA

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #20: Jun 08, 2019 12:21:14 am
      Yes we most certainly do, the secret of a winning side imo is to strengthen when possible and if the right bloke is available,  but he has to fit in like a hand to a glove,

Lots of clickbait surrounding Coutinho atm and although I wouldn't say no to his return i think though that that ship has sailed,
      A player that sticks out for me is Ruben Neves from Wolves,  he's already a top player but imagine what working with  Klopp would do for his career,
      Now yes, we do have a abundance of midfielders, however, Millies legs can't last forever no matter how much Ribena he has,  Lallana is to injury prone and i think he'll be gone before August anyway, 
      Its quality we need to add to our ranks,  yes Hendo, Gini, Naby, Ox et al tick all the boxes but we still need to have like or like replacement's,
      Ruben Neves is a player I believe would thrive and give Jürgen a few selection headaches next season, he's quality and fits the bill for me.

YNWA

Neves is a DM so if he is happy to play understudy to Fab why not.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Jun 08, 2019 02:24:21 pm
      Pretty well set with Keita finding his feet and AOC back aren't we?

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #22: Jun 08, 2019 05:58:37 pm
      I think it will be a lot to do with what formation we're going to go with mext season. If we start with 4 2 3 1, like we did last season, then the rumours for Bruno Fernández are justified. Problem is can Bobby play as that out and out striker. Bobby does like to drop deep and pick up the ball, he's a workhorse when he plays that false 9 in a 4 3 3 so is he suited to that 9 position. Of course Salah can play 9 with a new 10 behind and we'll have Ox next season who can play on the right. It will be a lot tougher next season and the need to rotate will be there again and there will be a lot more pressure on us to perform as we did this season with all (except the plastics) the top 6 improving their squads. So do we need another midfielder, maybe.

Quick Reply