Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2019-20 Fixture List - Friday night start for LFC at Anfield

Read 20626 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: 2019-20 Fixture List - Friday night start for LFC at Anfield
      Reply #46: Jun 23, 2019 10:27:25 pm
      I think that some of this will be postponed because of the Club World Cup.

For me, we need to play each team twice nonetheless so whenever we play them, for our philosophy is that we need to win nonetheless. We need 38 wins and we should go for them. We have the team to challenge City again because we have not lost an essential player.

The final in 2018 was Dec. 22 so if this year's matches for Liverpool are Dec. 18 and 21, would it just be the West Ham match on the 21st that is postponed, or could either the Watford match on the 14th or the Leicester match on the 26th also be pushed back? Those festive season fixtures tend to be sacrosanct so if I had to bet I'd say it's likely just the one date. Ends up adding an extra match (2-1 = 1) and a lengthy airplane trip to what is already the most congested part of the season.

But all of it means we're having the best of times on the pitch, so bring it on.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #47: Jun 23, 2019 10:31:53 pm
      I've got no problems with games going longer. Fed up of games only having 40-50 minutes of football. Time to take timekeeping out of the referee's hands.

If time was kept off the pitch would it be stopped for every dead ball situation? If so, would the official length of the match be shortened by a good bit from 90 minutes? I agree with you that way too much is wasted under the current setup, but if you use a separate timekeeper, some other questions would have to be asked, like these two.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #48: Jun 23, 2019 10:41:02 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      Can see 9/10minutes extra time next season. Get 2/3 VAR decisions, subs, injuries and it could drag on to a 100 minute game. Not liking what I've seen of Var. Think it will cause a stink. Could also affect the spontaneity of the game more than is expected.

Would'nt be surprised to see a major rethink at the end of the season.Problem is you can't put the genie back in the bottle.VAR is arguable the biggest change since subs were allowed back in '65'66.See how it pans out but I have my doubts.

We had 6 minutes injury time v Spurs at home. No complaints.
      We had 7 minutes injury time v Everton at home. No complaints.
      We had 9 minutes injury time at Newcastle to survive. No complaints.

That's just the second half. Nevertheless, we got through them with no harm done. We will get through as much time as we need to play again next season.

We have been given the honour of holding the first ever league game in England with VAR. Once it's in, we're never going back to the era of clear Mane goals disallowed at Arsenal, costing us 2 critical points in the title race, again.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #49: Jun 23, 2019 11:12:19 pm
      We had 6 minutes injury time v Spurs at home. No complaints.
      We had 7 minutes injury time v Everton at home. No complaints.
      We had 9 minutes injury time at Newcastle to survive. No complaints.

That's just the second half. Nevertheless, we got through them with no harm done. We will get through as much time as we need to play again next season.

We have been given the honour of holding the first ever league game in England with VAR. Once it's in, we're never going back to the era of clear Mane goals disallowed at Arsenal, costing us 2 critical points in the title race, again.

Obviously the game will go on and come to a conclusion but there will be problems. I can guarantee controversy and it might well affect the flow of the game. I'm still undecided. Wait to see how it pans out week in week out.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Jun 23, 2019 11:45:11 pm
      If time was kept off the pitch would it be stopped for every dead ball situation? If so, would the official length of the match be shortened by a good bit from 90 minutes? I agree with you that way too much is wasted under the current setup, but if you use a separate timekeeper, some other questions would have to be asked, like these two.

VAR won't be used in relation to the keeper having one foot on the line.That will still be down to the Ref. VAR will only kick in when a "clear and obvious error" has been made. On marginal decisions the Ref will then refer it to VAR. But the Ref himself has to be in doubt - he then refers it to VAR but the Ref then has to run over and check the moniter.

As it stands I believe the Ref gives decisions he's not 100% certain about. Should he then refer it to VAR. Remembering he can only refer offside,penalties, red cards and mistaken identity. All goals will be automatically checked by VAR.

If he makes what looks like bad decision, but VAR classes it as not "Clear and obvious error" he will come under pressure to refer it. I would say all penalty decisions should be either looked at automatically by VAR or the Ref should refer it regardless.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #51: Jun 24, 2019 09:31:13 am
      The final in 2018 was Dec. 22 so if this year's matches for Liverpool are Dec. 18 and 21, would it just be the West Ham match on the 21st that is postponed, or could either the Watford match on the 14th or the Leicester match on the 26th also be pushed back?

They'll be back to play the Boxing Day game.  The two games before Christmas will have to be rearranged I expect.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #52: Jun 24, 2019 08:19:19 pm
      The West Ham game is the only league game that has to be rearranged.

Quote from Harrisimo
      Obviously the game will go on and come to a conclusion but there will be problems. I can guarantee controversy and it might well affect the flow of the game. I'm still undecided. Wait to see how it pans out week in week out.

It's controversial if people make it so. The vast majority of VAR decisions will be clearly obvious and indisputable. It's the minority of 50-50 calls where only one decision can be made, that will create headlines.

How long it takes or how it affects the flow of the game is not really relevant. That already happens. Players slowing down set pieces etc. Apparantly, 8 minutes are already lost per game waiting for these to be taken. 3 minutes are lost over subs. Then you have the Kepas of the world, who act out their "injuries". All of it is accepted as part of the game. So will VAR. The only difference is that VAR only recognises refereeing errors, not professional time wasters.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Jun 24, 2019 10:10:07 pm
      The West Ham game is the only league game that has to be rearranged.

It's controversial if people make it so. The vast majority of VAR decisions will be clearly obvious and indisputable. It's the minority of 50-50 calls where only one decision can be made, that will create headlines.

How long it takes or how it affects the flow of the game is not really relevant. That already happens. Players slowing down set pieces etc. Apparantly, 8 minutes are already lost per game waiting for these to be taken. 3 minutes are lost over subs. Then you have the Kepas of the world, who act out their "injuries". All of it is accepted as part of the game. So will VAR. The only difference is that VAR only recognises refereeing errors, not professional time wasters.

Think it goes without saying that disputable decisions will be the main cause controversy. I mean how many Refs will refer a decision they have already made and how many will change their decision once they have looked at it on the moniter.

The time it takes for VAR to come to a decision or for the ref to view the incident on the moniter is relevent. That was one of the main concerns surrounding VAR.

Current time wasting or delays are a seperate issue.   
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2019 11:29:45 pm by Harrisimo »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #54: Jul 01, 2019 03:58:31 pm
      Refs will make a decision. If the VAR sees grounds for the decision to be changed, he will inform the ref, who will then look at the evidence.

The only thing that counts is getting the correct decision. Everyone wants it asap, but sometimes that isn't possible. It takes as long as it takes. More haste, less speed.

Unlike time wasted at set pieces, most of the time "lost" during a review(s), will be given back in injury time. So a minimum of 5 minutes injury time every week will be routine, rather than the exception.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #55: Jul 02, 2019 12:01:36 am
      Refs will make a decision. If the VAR sees grounds for the decision to be changed, he will inform the ref, who will then look at the evidence.

The only thing that counts is getting the correct decision. Everyone wants it asap, but sometimes that isn't possible. It takes as long as it takes. More haste, less speed.

Unlike time wasted at set pieces, most of the time "lost" during a review(s), will be given back in injury time. So a minimum of 5 minutes injury time every week will be routine, rather than the exception.

1. Do the replay officials get to watch the replay in slow motion, or do they have to watch at regular speed?

2. Is there any provision for the decision to be overturned only when a "clear and obvious error" has to be spotted?

Personally, in line with question #2, I'd have a provision if the replay official or match official haven't seen enough to overturn a call within 60 seconds of the match being stopped, the call will be considered correct and the match restarted.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #56: Jul 02, 2019 08:57:42 am
      maybe rather than VAR we should use REFCAM and if the view he has confirms his decision then great if for instance he has made a mistake over a challenge then that can be corrected but trying to totally eliminate mistakes is going to ruin the atmosphere of a game.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #57: Jul 02, 2019 08:40:59 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      1. Do the replay officials get to watch the replay in slow motion, or do they have to watch at regular speed?

2. Is there any provision for the decision to be overturned only when a "clear and obvious error" has to be spotted?

Personally, in line with question #2, I'd have a provision if the replay official or match official haven't seen enough to overturn a call within 60 seconds of the match being stopped, the call will be considered correct and the match restarted.

The VAR officials watch replays at regular and/or slow mo speed. If we start putting time limits in, then a wrong decision can stand, which defeats the whole purpose of having the system.

Offside and mistaken identity calls are clear and obvious. Subjective decisions are less so, but have usually enough evidence to justify the final decision.

Just one example. The mancs had 4 games at home last season with VAR. One game needed VAR to overturn the usual "offside" goal given against the away team. Another game saw a manc get a red card. Another game saw VAR required to confirm a goal for the away team, and the mancs lost the game on penalties.

When we face them in October, it will be the very first time we go there, knowing that we are protected against clear errors by refs in that dump, that we have had to take every single year, up to and including last season. Refs can't say they "didn't see it", if there is something for them to see, they will see it. There is now a back up system ready and available to use when it's needed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #58: Jul 02, 2019 08:45:12 pm
      The VAR officials watch replays at regular and/or slow mo speed. If we start putting time limits in, then a wrong decision can stand, which defeats the whole purpose of having the system.

Offside and mistaken identity calls are clear and obvious. Subjective decisions are less so, but have usually enough evidence to justify the final decision.

Just one example. The mancs had 4 games at home last season with VAR. One game needed VAR to overturn the usual "offside" goal given against the away team. Another game saw a manc get a red card. Another game saw VAR required to confirm a goal for the away team, and the mancs lost the game on penalties.

When we face them in October, it will be the very first time we go there, knowing that we are protected against clear errors by refs in that dump, that we have had to take every single year, up to and including last season. Refs can't say they "didn't see it", if there is something for them to see, they will see it. There is now a back up system ready and available to use when it's needed.

Do you think VAR is reviewed by super computers or something? It’s still the dumb f**k officials that get things wrong week in week out that are making the final decision.

I’m looking forward to seeing you defend and say how great VAR is and how it was the right decision when they make a howler despite using it.

VAR in the women’s World Cup gave Holland a penalty vs Japan for a handball. The arm was by her side, didn’t move towards the ball so in a natural position and it was kicked at her from close range. Not a chance that’s a penalty IMO and robbed Japan of the game. If that’s given as handball then what hope is there?! Just makes people soon having to defend with their arms tucked behind their back like Moreno does. Oh and they came to the decision within about 10-15 seconds so yeah, great analysis of the situation from them.
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2019 08:49:17 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #59: Jul 02, 2019 11:15:24 pm
      The arm was not by her side in the incident above. It was a clearcut handball imo, the ref saw it and gave the penalty. VAR checked it and saw no reason for the decision to be changed. It was analysed in more detail in the referee press conference, that I posted the link to in the VAR thread.

It's ultimately a defender's responsibility to make sure they don't handle the ball in the box. If they do handle it, they can't complain when a penalty is given, as it will be most of the time.

There will be very few refereeing errors this season. The old excuses for bad decisions and mistakes by the usual faces, no longer apply.
      Dutch
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 10 
      Reply #60: Jul 03, 2019 07:47:09 am
      Only 1 month before the PL starts, no new players (we need a forward) and we did not start training jet. Am I the only one  who is worried?
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #61: Jul 03, 2019 07:55:19 am
      Only 1 month before the PL starts, no new players (we need a forward) and we did not start training jet. Am I the only one  who is worried?

When are the boys report back for preseason training? Those that are available.
      Dutch
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 10 
      Reply #62: Jul 03, 2019 08:21:57 am
      Next Saturday the 6th. Fabinho, Milner, Matip, etc, etc report. The internationals don't come in before the US trip, let alone those who play on the Africa cup or our Brazilian players who are still playing. They will train during their holiday and need a rest but 5 weeks?

The CS is on the 4th of August, it is a small price I know but I will still like to win it.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #63: Jul 10, 2019 08:17:33 pm
      Unless it has changed this year, the minimum close season break for players is 3 weeks from the date of their last game. So most players should be back for the American leg of pre-season.

On the fixture front, our first 7 league games have their ko times confirmed. Only the trip to Southampton stays as it is, just 3 days after we play the Super Cup Final.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Do you think VAR is reviewed by super computers or something? It’s still the dumb f**k officials that get things wrong week in week out that are making the final decision.

I’m looking forward to seeing you defend and say how great VAR is and how it was the right decision when they make a howler despite using it.

Even with the weakest refs using it, there has been approx 3 VAR decisions in domestic cup games over the past two years, when people have questioned if the final decision was a mistake. Even if it is that much, it's a long way from the 1 mistake every 3 games per week last season without it, of which 3 coaches lost their jobs, a few days after a terrible decision went against them.

Two years ago, this was a token experiment. Now it's in every major league in Europe, every major national tournament and is expanding further into the game. Because most people realise it works more often than it doesn't.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #64: Sep 18, 2019 07:32:30 pm
      5 points clear. Its good to have it going into this schedule.

Chelsea (a)
      Sheffield (a)
      Leicester (h)
      mancs (a)
      Spurs (h)
      Villa (a)
      City (h)

November Break
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #65: Sep 19, 2019 11:15:12 am
      5 points clear. Its good to have it going into this schedule.

Chelsea (a)
      Sheffield (a)
      Leicester (h)
      mancs (a)
      Spurs (h)
      Villa (a)
      City (h)

November Break

Gonna predict all home wins and only 1 away draw. Up the reds.

Quick Reply