Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Does winning the CL mean more or less pressure next season?

Read 7279 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Does winning the CL mean more or less pressure next season?
      Jun 13, 2019 12:56:21 pm
      My overriding feeling after the Champions League win was one of relief. We'd finally won a trophy and what a trophy to win!
      No one can talk about how long it's been since we won a cup or call us bottlers anymore.
      So now that we've gotten that monkey off our back, is the pressure now off, or are we now expected to win trophies for the foreseeable future?
      My feeling is that the expectations will be huge from now on and failure to increase our trophy count would be a major disappointment.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Does winning the CL mean more or less pressure next season?
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2019 12:59:36 pm
      You could just as easily say if we'd have lost v Spurs the pressure on Jürgen and this team to win something would be massive. We'd be one of the best teams in recent years not to get silverware. In my opinion yes, the expectation to win is definitely there now, but to the players themselves I think the shackles are off and they are hungry for more. Think the overriding feeling will be one of excitement when they arrive back at Melwood, not pressure.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2019 01:14:18 pm
      Expectations have never changed, we've always wanted to win every match and by big margin.

Pressure depends on who's piling on the pressure. Media? Windup merchants? We've heard the following before and not winning the CL will give windup merchants a field day. "Five years without a trophy surely he has to go". "97 points and unable to win the league, maybe Klopp is not the one for us".

I can come with one too! "Won nothing after signing a goalie and defender at record value".

I won't be too concerned over pressure. Always has been the same. Keep winning and we'll eventually get there. It's not as if we expect less of the players next season. Ask Joe Cole, he got intimidated by our expectations to win every match.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2019 01:17:23 pm
      Klopp has his first trophy with us so him and the lads should feel relieved.

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2019 03:16:25 pm
      Good question.

I think the pressure is undoubtedly off - certainly going in to another cup final irrespective of opponent. 

I'm going in to next season with no major expectations.  I don't expect us to win the Champions League and I don't expect us to get anything like 97 points.  Same as last summer!

But I'm more certain than I was last summer that we're going to be competitive and more confident of us winning silverware of some sort.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2019 03:23:55 pm
      Pressure not so intense, as finally winning a major trophy, has proved hat there is more silverware to come in the near future.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2019 03:33:38 pm
      Getting that 1st trophy is a huge monkey off our back as undoubtedly we'd hear a lot of crap about Jürgen being here X years and not won anything. Having won the biggest trophy there is gets rid of all that we can focus on adding to the cabinet. To answer the question, i would say less pressure because if we had not won the CL i think we'd hear a lot about how Jürgen HAS TO win something in 2019/2020 and put undue pressure on the team.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #7: Jun 13, 2019 03:43:48 pm
      Obviously less pressure.

If we had lost two finals in a row & finished 2nd with 97 points, the players & Klopp would rightfully feel what do we have to do to pick up silverware?

Klopp would have had three full seasons with 4 final losses. Now that weight is off their shoulder and they can push on!

We are technically competing for seven trophies next season. I expect some lifting and I expect some of that to come in August & December!
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #8: Jun 13, 2019 03:47:10 pm
      Obviously less pressure.

If we had lost two finals in a row & finished 2nd with 97 points, the players & Klopp would rightfully feel what do we have to do to pick up silverware?

Klopp would have had three full seasons with 4 final losses. Now that weight is off their shoulder and they can push on!

We are technically competing for seven trophies next season. I expect some lifting and I expect some of that to come in August & December!

When's the Super Cup vs. Chelsea? i thoroughly expect to win that one as they will be without Hazard and potentially adapting to a new manager while we're a well-oiled machine.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,233 posts | 261 
      Reply #9: Jun 13, 2019 08:39:27 pm
      The expectation is always there but the difference in winning and losing that final is immense, if we'd have got 97 points, made our 2nd CL final on the bounce and ended up with nothing it would have been a disaster mentally from Klopp, the players and the fans point of view it could have destroyed our confidence, players may have questioned what more could we do to win something?
      Now confidence is high the team and Klopp are proven winners we really can go from strength to strength, we could have two more trophies come mid August.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: Jun 13, 2019 09:07:42 pm
      If it all goes tits up and we go a few seasons without a trophy I'll still be dining on this for a few years yet!

Not that the players or management will be thinking like that. This for them is just the beginning.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #11: Jun 13, 2019 09:20:50 pm
      The pressure will be less I think. Had we finished plotless after the season we've just had I think the pressure would have really ramped up.

The pressure to win the league will be higher having gone so close though but when your the reigning European Champions you have to be happy!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12: Jun 13, 2019 11:33:22 pm
      I hope the pressure for the league is on, Kiev put us in good stead..this season 1 point deficit will help us in the new season..👊🏼

We’re going to pick up from where we left off..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6636 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Jun 14, 2019 02:24:57 am
      Bring the pressure on. This Team has a taste now and will be even more hungrier for more.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,314 posts | 1610 
      Reply #14: Jun 14, 2019 07:29:29 am
      They handled the pressure arse end of last season , see no reason with this bunch why that would change , they now know exactly what it’s going to take to topple city , bring it on for another thriller .
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #15: Jun 14, 2019 08:17:53 am
      It's a really good balance between the pressure being off us and, our rightfully ignorant expectations..

The ECL win legitimised everything.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Jun 14, 2019 08:40:57 am
      Its much much easier now, we came as a close as its possible to get to winning the league, with a points total which would have won in all years apart from the last two. We then went and won the CL to finally end the Klopp jinx in finals.

Its full steam ahead now, I really think we have a better chance of winning the league this season than the previous one and with a bit more luck with the cup draws, liek City had last year, perhaps we can pick up something there as well, then there is the community shield, super cup and club world cup which are all very winnable.

In summary this is just the start of us winning titles and cups again, WE ARE BACK!!!
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #17: Jun 15, 2019 12:03:36 pm
      Good question.

I think the pressure is undoubtedly off - certainly going in to another cup final irrespective of opponent. 

I'm going in to next season with no major expectations.  I don't expect us to win the Champions League and I don't expect us to get anything like 97 points.  Same as last summer!

But I'm more certain than I was last summer that we're going to be competitive and more confident of us winning silverware of some sort.

I agree. My feeling after winning was utter relief!

With the CL won we've got the finals thing off our backs too meaning nothing seems as desperate...

I realize I might be on my own here  ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Jun 15, 2019 02:26:45 pm
      When it comes to sport, competition or whatever, I've always thought it best to be 100 percent positive in regard to results. You give everything to win, but you have to accept results in context with life overall.

So for me, as much time as I spend obsessing over this club, like nothing I've experienced in any sporting context (and truthfully, in almost any other area of life), and take delight in each individual win, as well as the overall campaign, I've never thought of it as relief when we achieve things . So relief isn't the word for me, just delight.

I think Klopp is especially good at shielding his players, keeping them on song re their mindset. But in his recruitment/retention he gets the most competitive and ambitious players. Players who aren't really driven just won't last here. So the pressure they feel is the best type, what comes from within.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Jun 15, 2019 02:39:29 pm
      Makes me even more desperate and wanting more trophies
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20: Jun 15, 2019 02:57:28 pm
      This is Liverpool if there is no pressure then whats the point we have to challenge and we will and we will win more silverware
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #21: Jun 15, 2019 03:54:30 pm

Does number 6 mean there’s less pressure to increase these numbers anymore?

Each of us will have to formulate our own answer.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #22: Jun 15, 2019 06:12:31 pm
      Takes the pressure off us as supporters,we get to smugly smile at oppo fans and be even more obnoxious than they think we already are!!  :scarf: :action-smiley-055:

Quick Reply