Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Does winning the CL mean more or less pressure next season?

Read 7286 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Does winning the CL mean more or less pressure next season?
      Reply #23: Jun 15, 2019 11:41:26 pm
      Depends, as there are two ways to look at this.

There could be more pressure on us to win yet more trophies as we have a winning squad, a superb mentality and a manager of the quality we haven't seen since King Kenny. We should be hungry for more, we should put more pressure on ourselves to win more, and as a result we may well do just that... but...

There could well be less pressure on us. We've just won a massive trophy - granted, it wasn't the exact one we wanted, but I'm just as F***ing happy with that as I would have been with the PL in retrospect. But what's happening here - am I satisfied with just the one trophy now? Should we have won nothing at the end of this coming season (shudder), will I be saying "oh well, there's always next year",  because I can still look back on recent the CL win?

Here's what I think - there could be less pressure, but there should be more pressure. We, as supporters, need to be hungry for more. We cannot be grateful, we cannot be lenient, we cannot rest on our laurels. If we feel there's less pressure, we pass that feeling of complacency on to the team and that does nobody any good.

Thankfully, there is now more expectation, and with expectation comes that bit more pressure.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Jun 16, 2019 03:01:35 am
      All the pressure will be on the opposition,our REDS have proved they can take pressure.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25: Jun 16, 2019 06:29:09 am
      We thrive on pressure it's part of reasons why we are where we're at ,arguably the best side in England, Definitely the best side in Europe, like it has already been mentioned,  this is  just the start,

This pressure we thrive on has been building for years, more so since Jürgen came in, back then the pressure was less because we were not competitive enough, struggling for a top 4 finish, entry into the CL and about a million miles from even considering a premiership title challenge,  bit different now though,  the shackles are well and truly off...

...Ask yourselves this...where else in the World of club football would you find a team, a squad of players so willing to fight for each other as we have, that have the will the knowledge , and the passion,  and never ever give up mentality within their own individual minds,
      The answer is No one, not even those oily Whores from Eastlands can match us for team spirit and togetherness,  we are a true, 'Band of Brothers '

Remember Shanks making us...
      ....'A Bastion of invincibility '

Jürgen is doing the same  !!

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Jun 16, 2019 09:10:05 am
      There will be more pressure to win even more things, but it won't be the nervous pressure we felt at times last season, it will be good positive pressure which all successful teams and individual sportsmen put on themselves.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2019 10:46:59 pm
      WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE. Everyone else can F**k off!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #28: Jun 16, 2019 10:48:46 pm
      There cannot be any more pressure than the pressure we faced this season playing Bayern, Barca, P.S.G. and others and then  go all season and only lose one league match. Anfield is once again the fortress it used to be thank you Jürgen Klopp.
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2019 11:09:26 pm by Billy1 »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #29: Jun 17, 2019 10:42:50 am
      The same for me pressure as usual. It's a new season.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #30: Jun 17, 2019 05:34:05 pm
      I believe winning put less pressure on the players since now they have something to show for a couple years of great football and Klopp to get the monkey off his back with never winning in a big final. I do also think with this group the expectation will rise as of result of winning because I know myself I am looking for this to be the start of a run of silverware over the next couple of seasons, not having this UCL win being the peak of this team.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31: Jun 17, 2019 06:44:57 pm
      I don't know about more or less pressure, but I do think it will give the players even more belief, and even a bit of swagger and arrogance (the right sort).

There's always a danger when a manager says "This is impossible for any team, except you" (paraphrased) that the players will think it's just geeing them up, but after the semi, and then lifting the trophy, the same players may start thinking "You know, the gaffer is right, we're a brilliant team" and that's what makes teams think they are beaten before they step out to face us.
      They see that arrogance, that swagger, that determination in the tunnel and they start to think "this could be a long afternoon".

We see it all the time with city, where teams go into damage limitation mode before a ball has been kicked.

I think we'll see it happen a lot more with us next season.

Quick Reply