Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

Read 8060 times
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Alex McCarthy (Southampton)
      Jun 16, 2019 01:45:36 pm
      Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp is weighing up a move for Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.

Simon Mignolet is set to leave Anfield this summer with Alisson firmly ensconced as Liverpool ’s number one.

And Saints star McCarthy is on Klopp’s radar as he looks for a new back-up keeper.

Klopp considered a move for McCarthy last summer when a deal for Alisson looked like it might have to be put on hold with Roma digging their heels in.

But the Reds finally got their man and McCarthy remained at St Mary’s.

McCarthy, 29, began the season as the Saints’ number one under Mark Hughes and his form led to a call-up by England boss Gareth Southgate which saw him make his Three Lions debut as a second-half substitute against the USA in November.

He kept his place at Southampton following Ralph Hassenhuttl’s arrival as manager but lost it to Angus Gunn in February and was unable to displace the former Manchester City youngster.

That has paved the way for a move from Klopp as he looks to freshen up his goalkeeping unit.

Mignolet, 31, has made over 200 appearances for the Merseyside club since joining from Sunderland in 2013.

However, he played just twice for Klopp's side last season as he was unable to displace Alisson from the starting XI.

Following his £67m move from the Serie A side, the Brazilian enjoyed a strong first season at Anfield as he made 41 appearances in all competitions.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-eye-shock-goalkeeper-transfer-16525457

Not a bad choice for #2. He lost his place to Angus Gunn anyway and probably we could get him for the same price Mignolet is sold for. Adds to the homegrown quota too.
      « Last Edit: Jun 17, 2019 07:11:43 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Alex McCarthy (Southampton)
      Reply #1: Jun 16, 2019 01:48:47 pm
      Linked with him when Brendan was here as well if I'm not mistaken.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2019 02:37:40 pm
      Mirror link?

Just more media sh*te talk.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3: Jun 16, 2019 03:09:27 pm
      Sounds about right. You’re not going to get a top keeper to come here and be happy getting minimal games, nor do you want to give the backup to a kid with no experience.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4: Jun 16, 2019 03:12:13 pm
      Sounds about right. You’re not going to get a top keeper to come here and be happy getting minimal games, nor do you want to give the backup to a kid with no experience.

Not fussed if he comes he's about Mignolets level.

Would much prefer Etheridge.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Jun 16, 2019 03:22:07 pm
      Not fussed if he comes he's about Mignolets level.

Would much prefer Etheridge.

I’d put him ahead of Migs personally. But I’m the same, would much prefer Etheridge.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Jun 16, 2019 03:43:58 pm
      Depends on migs. Probably alone here but if he wants to stay then that is fine by me. If not etheridge is the best name i have heard
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #7: Jun 16, 2019 03:56:24 pm
      Depends on migs. Probably alone here but if he wants to stay then that is fine by me. If not etheridge is the best name i have heard
      I'm with you on this one. If Mignolet wants to stay, I'm all for it as long as he understands regular playing time is not happening and he's happy with it.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #8: Jun 18, 2019 01:40:53 pm
      Well, Echo shoots down McCarthy links and that Turk fella Tokoz. Short-lived thread  :D

Wonder, when do they dismiss the Bruno Fernandes links?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #9: Jun 18, 2019 05:02:45 pm

Dead on. Migs is wonderful behind the scenes from what I understand, and a good option at # 2.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jun 18, 2019 05:09:49 pm
      Given home grown regulations it makes sense for your backup GK to be a home grown player, instead of wasting a non-HG slot with a player that will hardly play much at all
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #11: Jun 18, 2019 06:18:37 pm
      Dead on. Migs is wonderful behind the scenes from what I understand, and a good option at # 2.

Didn't Migs throw a bit of a fit around the start of last season?  Something like -- if Karius can leave on loan, why can't I?  I think Klopp even made a comment to the press about him being very well compensated by his employer, and that he should basically shut up and do his job.  After that, I think he realized he's got a pretty sweet gig and he got his ass in line 🤣
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #12: Jun 18, 2019 07:15:21 pm
      https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1140978028077617152

Wouldn't cry if Migs stays or leaves tbh.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #13: Jun 18, 2019 09:48:36 pm
      Given home grown regulations it makes sense for your backup GK to be a home grown player, instead of wasting a non-HG slot with a player that will hardly play much at all

This is a great point.  Does Robbo count as homegrown?  Hendo. Milner , Trent, Brewster.  Who else?

Quick Reply