Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Bruno Fernandes (Sporting Lisbon)

Read 48182 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Bruno Fernandes (Sporting Lisbon)
      Reply #69: Jul 07, 2019 08:55:17 pm
      Well you are happy to make judgments on players you’ve seen very little of and judgments on who Klopp will and will not have been looking at so don’t take it personally that it’s then done about you.

How else will people make judgements on a player ? When they watch them surely ? International stage , Europa League stage. Was it the World Cup where he started first game subbed early and dropped for the next couple of games.

I gave an opinion , you called it nonsense and then suggested I have little knowledge. All because I believe we won’t be signing Fernandes  :roll:

And yep Ronaldo did well - how about Quesrma ? - there are successes and failures wherever you look
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #70: Jul 07, 2019 08:56:15 pm

Barcelona and Madrid raid the Portuguese League regularly - if this guys stats stand up as a record that shows he can mix it with the best in Europe and not just Portugal and Europa League - why wouldn’t they be looking at a player in a position they would certainly benefit from ?

Well what does that tell you about the league then if they keep raiding it?!
      Barca have their sights on Griezemann - who by the way is available but yet there is no concrete offer for him...wonder if they have any fans viewing that like you are Fernandes...

Madrid had Hazard as their main target and then spent another 150mill, they can't spend anymore now.

Your point is so pointless it’s like saying well Virgil can’t be that good or people would be trying to sign him. Every team has different needs and targets. Barca and Madrid May well like Fernandes but if he doesn’t fit the mould then they won’t sign him, no different to us choosing to wait and sign virgil over signing anyone else.

Madrid signed Militao, a player that was part of the team we thumped. Guess that makes him sh*t because he didn’t have a good game? Using your logic of Fernandes in one World Cup game.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2019 09:03:48 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #71: Jul 07, 2019 09:02:40 pm
      Well what does that tell you about the league then if they keep raiding it?!
      Barca have their sights on Griezemann - who by the way is available but yet there is no concrete offer for him...wonder if they have any fans viewing that like you are Fernandes...

Madrid had Hazard as their main target and then spent another 150mill, they can't spend anymore now.

Your point is so pointless it’s like saying well Virgil can’t be that good or people would be trying to sign him. Every team has different needs and targets. Barca and Madrid May well like Fernandes but if he doesn’t fit the mould then they won’t sign him, no different to us choosing to wait and sign virgil over signing anyone else.

They raid it because it’s easy for them to sign players from it - the transition across is nice and easy.

Christ we all know that when the release clause for Greizmann drops to 110 then Barce will act ( believe they already have and Atletico have reacted back )

We all know that every club in the world would want VVD - so the comparisons is irrelevant

My point was quite simple - if Klopp wanted him then he would have been signed - simple as that , 4 weeks plus of “rumours” tell the story clearly

Blimey have to keep editing as you keep adding stuff

I thought Militeo played very well against us and you clearly see he was a stand out player

And so it’s now a couple of Euro Nation games , couple of Europa League game , World Cup game -  is there a certain amount of games that one must watch before they are allowed to judge a player ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #72: Jul 07, 2019 09:03:56 pm
      They raid it because it’s easy for them to sign players from it - the transition across is nice and easy.

Christ we all know that when the release clause for Greizmann drops to 110 then Barce will act ( believe they already have and Atletico have reacted back )

We all know that every club in the world would want VVD - so the comparisons is irrelevant

My point was quite simple - if Klopp wanted him then he would have been signed - simple as that , 4 weeks plus of “rumours” tell the story clearly

You make the point about how many players do we actually sign that are spoken about in rumours...well the same rule applies, you can’t dismiss we won’t sign a player because with a Klopp we never know. He said we weren’t signing Ox but we did.

Also like I said, a year ago we hadn’t signed Shaqiri at this stage so your point about if we wanted Fernandes then he’d be here now is irrelevant because unless you are part of the transfer team, then like us; you know jack sh*t. Which actually, I expect to see you dismissing talk of any player we are linked with now because you know, they’d be here already if it was true.
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2019 09:09:39 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #73: Jul 07, 2019 09:09:04 pm
      You make the point about how many players do we actually sign that are spoken about in rumours...well the same rule applies, you can’t dismiss we won’t sign a player because with a Klopp we never know. He said we weren’t signing Ox but we did.

What has he said about Fernandes ? Yep he spoke about - Mo , VVD , Ox , Mane , Kieta - guess what we did with those , signed them

Also like I said, a year ago we hadn’t signed Shaqiri at this stage so your point about if we wanted Fernandes then he’d be here now is irrelevant because unless you are part of the transfer team, then like us; you know jack sh*t.

We didn’t sign Shaqiri because we were looking to sign Fekir and nearly signing him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #74: Jul 07, 2019 09:11:05 pm
      What has he said about Fernandes ? Yep he spoke about - Mo , VVD , Ox , Mane , Kieta - guess what we did with those , signed them

We didn’t sign Shaqiri because we were looking to sign Fekir and nearly signing him.

He didn’t speak about Mo, Mane, Virgil or Keita from what I remember. The talk was we were signing Gotze, there was no mention about Mane other than being a potential alternative.

When are some people going to realise we didn’t sign shaqiri as an alternative, he’s a completely different player to Fekir! There was talk of Shaqiri signing when we were after Fekir!

You don’t rate the player, fine. End of, doesn’t change the fact you know jack though, just like the rest of us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #75: Jul 07, 2019 09:16:14 pm
      Do you mean when Oxlade was out for the season with a serious injury hence looking to first bring in Fekir and then Shaqiri. Oxlade back now

Barcelona and Madrid raid the Portuguese League regularly - if this guys stats stand up as a record that shows he can mix it with the best in Europe and not just Portugal and Europa League - why wouldn’t they be looking at a player in a position they would certainly benefit from ?

I have no doubt he is a player that will flourish in a less frantic physical league where he gets time on the ball and space but from what I have seen he wouldn’t work out in the Prem - doesn’t make him a bad player

Klopp doesn’t mess around with signings anymore - he makes it known early he wants the player - interviews with both VVD and Keita will tell you that. So I’m confident to say that if Klopp wanted another attacking mid and likes Fernandes then there isn’t much standing in the way.

Haha I'll try to say this nicely but the quality of your arguments is questionable to say the least. Players hardly perform to the same standards at international stage as they do for their clubs - so judging a player based largely on that leads you nowhere. Then it goes to "if he's so good, then why haven't Barcelona or Madrid signed him?" kind of argument. This is clutching at straws. There are many potential reasons why two particular clubs are not buying a particular player and that has really no bearing on how good he is or isn't. Then of course by having watched him a couple of times you're "pretty sure" that he isn't good enough and have "no doubt" that he'll flourish in a different league. A bunch of clichés thrown there just to make up for the fact that you have *barely* watched him. It's ok not to pass an opinion, you know.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #76: Jul 07, 2019 09:18:05 pm
      He didn’t speak about Mo, Mane, Virgil or Keita from what I remember. The talk was we were signing Gotze, there was no mention about Mane other than being a potential alternative.

He did - he spoke about them all when they were in the process of signing them , indeed his speaking of VVD was part of the reason why it fell apart. Goetze was nothing but “media” talk prob the same with this but Mane was spoken about by the “respected” sources. Goetze was nothing but lazy 2+2 = 5

When are some people going to realise we didn’t sign shaqiri as an alternative, he’s a completely different player to Fekir! There was talk of Shaqiri signing when we were after Fekir!

You don’t rate the player, fine. End of, doesn’t change the fact you know jack though, just like the rest of us.

Sorry but if Fekir did arrive then Shaqiri wouldn’t have - simple as that, you can think other alternative theories but once the Fekir deal fell through the manager looked a different option and adjust his thinking and indeed his tactics
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #77: Jul 07, 2019 09:22:37 pm
      Haha I'll try to say this nicely but the quality of your arguments is questionable to say the least. Players hardly perform to the same standards at international stage as they do for their clubs - so judging a player based largely on that leads you nowhere. Then it goes to "if he's so good, then why haven't Barcelona or Madrid signed him?" kind of argument. This is clutching at straws. There are many potential reasons why two particular clubs are not buying a particular player and that has really no bearing on how good he is or isn't. Then of course by having watched him a couple of times you're "pretty sure" that he isn't good enough and have "no doubt" that he'll flourish in a different league. A bunch of clichés thrown there just to make up for the fact that you have *barely* watched him. It's ok not to pass an opinion, you know.

How did he do in the Europa League playing for his club against Arsenal ? I guess you seem to have ignored that fact ?

Am I ok to judge him on those two games as well ? Or will that be dismissed because “it’s just Europa”

So tell me when someone is allowed to pass judgment and an opinion on a player then ? Is there a certain number ? A particular competition? Opposition?

I’m not sure what this “it’s ok not to pass an opinion” business is ? Are you suggesting that because my opinion of the player is negative then it’s best not said ?

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #78: Jul 08, 2019 05:19:30 am
      A good player is a good player nomatter which league he comes from.
      The argument that "oh he has done so well is because it's a weaker league" is just silly.

Nothing to do with Bruno, but seen it being thrown around alot and it's total bull.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #79: Jul 08, 2019 06:37:24 am
      He did play as the left sided attacker last season in a fair share of games. He is primarily a SS or can play false-9 too. Apparently, he was our initial target before Fekir and Sporting's instability last year made us reevaluate our options.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #80: Jul 08, 2019 07:57:35 am
      He did play as the left sided attacker last season in a fair share of games. He is primarily a SS or can play false-9 too. Apparently, he was our initial target before Fekir and Sporting's instability last year made us reevaluate our options.

SS ? Are we talking a shadow striker like in football manager ? Not sure about that to be honest.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #81: Jul 08, 2019 07:58:22 am
      The argument that "oh he has done so well is because it's a weaker league" is just silly.

Nothing to do with Bruno, but seen it being thrown around alot and it's total bull.

When i have seen him in the cl and europa league he has been average at best
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #82: Jul 08, 2019 09:05:19 am

I would strongly disagree with this mate.

Some players can be made like world beaters in leagues that just don’t have the quality to stop them.

You’ll see top scorers for teams in lower leagues or leagues abroad try their luck in England and fail miserably time after time after time.

It’s a scouts job to factor in things like quality of opposition and also room for improvement.

While I do get you say about them still being a good player in one league they’ll be a good player in another, it doesn’t really matter if the players in the other league are better than good player standard.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #83: Jul 08, 2019 10:28:59 am
      How did he do in the Europa League playing for his club against Arsenal ? I guess you seem to have ignored that fact ?

Am I ok to judge him on those two games as well ? Or will that be dismissed because “it’s just Europa”

So tell me when someone is allowed to pass judgment and an opinion on a player then ? Is there a certain number ? A particular competition? Opposition?

I’m not sure what this “it’s ok not to pass an opinion” business is ? Are you suggesting that because my opinion of the player is negative then it’s best not said ?

I have not ignored his games vs Arsenal, I was also in the stadium when that was played in Alvalade. Sadly I have no magic number to give you, but that's surely more than 2 club games. Especially if you're going to dismiss nearly 50 direct goal involvements in a single season for a midfielder as "decent stats" only to then blurb out total certainties about his future based on two games against vastly superior opposition. If you can't see the flaw in that then I'll let you for your own ramblings.

Btw, I'm not against any negative opinions of the player nor suggesting anything, what I hope I am clearly stating is that if you're going to accuse others of overhyping a player due to "football console game" then give us a sure assessment of his quality and his future it should be done based on more than a handful of games and a bunch of clichés.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #84: Jul 08, 2019 01:03:05 pm
      I have not ignored his games vs Arsenal, I was also in the stadium when that was played in Alvalade. Sadly I have no magic number to give you, but that's surely more than 2 club games. Especially if you're going to dismiss nearly 50 direct goal involvements in a single season for a midfielder as "decent stats" only to then blurb out total certainties about his future based on two games against vastly superior opposition. If you can't see the flaw in that then I'll let you for your own ramblings.

It’s just stats at the end of day - some shocking signings have been made by many a club when a player has “great stats” - have to take the opposition into consideration and regardless of what people say the Portuguese League is one of the weakest leagues in Europe and there are no doubt plenty players who don’t do well in the Prem could shine in Portugal

He was anonymous against an opponent which is a step up from his league , same again when playing for his country

Btw, I'm not against any negative opinions of the player nor suggesting anything, what I hope I am clearly stating is that if you're going to accuse others of overhyping a player due to "football console game" then give us a sure assessment of his quality and his future it should be done based on more than a handful of games and a bunch of clichés.

I didn’t point any fingers at anyone in particular and of you want to take my comment on a personal level then that’s your choice but for me imo people will rate a player from how well they look stat wise and how they play on a simulator - because a good number of the players just like Fernandes are playing in leagues that aren’t televised in the UK so 99/100 don’t watch him or other stuff play
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #85: Jul 08, 2019 03:04:30 pm
      It’s just stats at the end of day - some shocking signings have been made by many a club when a player has “great stats” - have to take the opposition into consideration and regardless of what people say the Portuguese League is one of the weakest leagues in Europe and there are no doubt plenty players who don’t do well in the Prem could shine in Portugal

He was anonymous against an opponent which is a step up from his league , same again when playing for his country

I didn’t point any fingers at anyone in particular and of you want to take my comment on a personal level then that’s your choice but for me imo people will rate a player from how well they look stat wise and how they play on a simulator - because a good number of the players just like Fernandes are playing in leagues that aren’t televised in the UK so 99/100 don’t watch him or other stuff play

That still doesn't make them just decent. It was a historic season for a midfielder, you'd have to go back decades to find a similar one, even in Portugal. I'm not arguing that those numbers will necessarily translate in a different league, but they're by definition standout stats in every possible way you look at them, and even players that have left Portugal for greater success in other leagues never had similar stats whilst in the league. That you don't rate him does not change this fact. The Portuguese league is quite boring and definitely not great, but it's not one of the weakest in Europe, 2018-19 UEFA season coefficients have it even above France.

I think there are significant mitigating circumstances for a player in a team seriously struggling (for a large portion of the season Sporting were 4th behind Braga) playing against a fairly superior team or performing as a relatively new international. If I were to judge Gerrard or Lampard as England players in a said World Cup, I'd probably not be overly impressed either.

At the end of the day there's no science to which player adapts and which doesn't, as much as people like to have certainties. If Bruno Fernandes signed for a boring Man Utd he'd most likely not score half the goals he currently does, but if he played for a Man City with freedom to attack he might as well keep up a similar pace. Raul Jimenez was a bench warmer that struggled to impress in the "terrible" Portuguese league and went on to become a regular starter at the Premier League 7th place because he moved to a team that suited his style. Imagine signing a Portuguese league flop and having him become a success in England - that doesn't fit the narrative but it can happen.

I did not take it personally, honestly I just found it arrogant. To be fair, being quick in judging a player can work both ways. A lot of people that are keen on signing him keep saying he "can play as a striker" or "false 9" or whatever (I've seen that elsewhere, not just in this forum), though I don't think he has ever played as a striker in his life. I was told on Facebook that "he's not a central midfielder", which is funny because he played most of his season as one. It's easy to get the impression that people are just going by the numbers of a standout season that might as well be a point completely out of the curve, and creating whatever narrative they like best.

Personally one of the of the reasons I like Bruno Fernandes isn't just because of his goalscoring, and I don't see him as an alternative to Firmino upfront - I actually love his work-rate, his defensive contribution and how much ground he covers.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #86: Jul 08, 2019 03:13:50 pm
      I would strongly disagree with this mate.

Some players can be made like world beaters in leagues that just don’t have the quality to stop them.

You’ll see top scorers for teams in lower leagues or leagues abroad try their luck in England and fail miserably time after time after time.

It’s a scouts job to factor in things like quality of opposition and also room for improvement.

While I do get you say about them still being a good player in one league they’ll be a good player in another, it doesn’t really matter if the players in the other league are better than good player standard.

I totally agree with that scouts have to factor in  leagues and so on.
      what I define as a good player, is a player who continue to do well no matter where or in which league. Then he will continue to do so.

There are up and downs but a good player will stick out. There are plenty of players whom have come from weaker leagues and done well, then there are players who stay in the league but change clubs and struggle.

There is always going to be a risk signing a player nomatter whom or from where. Just saying that a weaker league is not a definite answer and therefore should not be thrown around as a argument.
      We Liverpool fans should know better.
      We signed mo from serie a, and I swear if you go to his transfer thread then it was the same argument being thrown around for not signing him.
      There are so many factors in what a good player is, and league one, is not so huge as some people here tend to believe. I dare say that the scouts think as I do because we have signed  as many player from weaker leagues as from other clubs in England.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #87: Jul 08, 2019 06:54:43 pm
      I totally agree with that scouts have to factor in  leagues and so on.
      what I define as a good player, is a player who continue to do well no matter where or in which league. Then he will continue to do so.

There are up and downs but a good player will stick out. There are plenty of players whom have come from weaker leagues and done well, then there are players who stay in the league but change clubs and struggle.

There is always going to be a risk signing a player nomatter whom or from where. Just saying that a weaker league is not a definite answer and therefore should not be thrown around as a argument.
      We Liverpool fans should know better.
      We signed mo from serie a, and I swear if you go to his transfer thread then it was the same argument being thrown around for not signing him.
      There are so many factors in what a good player is, and league one, is not so huge as some people here tend to believe. I dare say that the scouts think as I do because we have signed  as many player from weaker leagues as from other clubs in England.

It's a close one. For every Salah there's an Aquilani. Wouldn't want to be a scout myself!
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #88: Jul 25, 2019 06:46:13 pm
      It's official, I am now a member of Team Bruno.

Sensational performance by Bruno Fernandes last night. The man looks about as comfortable on the pitch as any player in any league. He clearly has "it" ...and by that I mean the man possesses all the fire, vision, knowledge of the team system, skill, leadership. In other words....Bruno is very comfortable being the man and he certainly made his teammates and his team better last night.

A couple of highlights for me...
      First
      Not to let Minolet totally off the hook last night for his misplay on Fernandes' long distance strike/goal....but lets not discount the insane movement on that ball. Multiple replays showed the the different swerves of the ball. The side angle showed the incredible dip in trajectory. From behind we saw the knuckling right to left action. Bruno hit the ball so flush with such velocity on a such a low trajectory....the aero dynamics of the ball took over as it was designed years ago to create more goals. In baseball, the most difficult ball for a center fielder to catch is the low liner without spin hit directly at the fielder because depth perception gets minimized without an angle for the brain to process. I saw something similar last night.
      More importantly, Bruno owns the skill set to make that strike while typical players punt that ball 20 meters over the net from that distance. Little Phillippe was the last LFC player to demonstrate this shot on a consistent basis.
      Second
      To watch Bruno back track and chase down the LFC ball carrier and then continue on to the next LFC player who gained final possession in the box was something special as was his shot block that likely prevented a goal. Meaningless minutes in a meaningless game and this great player is going all out with a complete understanding of what is unfolding in front of him.
      Such desire is not taught. Neither is his ability to 'see the game'

Any way....the man is impressive and will certainly make any team better.
      Seeing how LFC defenders backed off him reminded me of the respect Mane gets when he moves forward with the ball.

If only his price was a bit lower.
      I wonder how decision makers view his slight frame...the only perceived knock I can imagine.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #89: Jul 26, 2019 11:14:39 am
      Lets get Bruno and Pepe, then we can talk about how we have strengthened, I'll be pissed off if Utd get this guy.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #90: Jul 26, 2019 11:52:41 am
      [quote author=

Personally one of the of the reasons I like Bruno Fernandes isn't just because of his goalscoring, and I don't see him as an alternative to Firmino upfront - I actually love his work-rate, his defensive contribution and how much ground he covers.
      [/quote]
      I don't know the player really but if he is anything like you say that sounds very much like a JĂŒrgen player
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #91: Jul 26, 2019 12:46:37 pm
      [quote author=

I don't know the player really but if he is anything like you say that sounds very much like a JĂŒrgen player
      Definitely a Klopp player.

The compete level you see from Henderson and Milner.
      The confidence you see from Mana
      The vision you see from a Firmino
      The boot you saw from Coutinho
      The stamina and hustle you see from Robertson

Bruno belongs on top of the wish list
      He could easily slide into Mane's role, spell Firmino when he gets his usual dings, or play the Coutinho position as the forward mid who can feed or strike.
      Because of his broad skill set, he'd be the one purchase who could get consistent first team minutes just by spelling the front 3 and middies in a rotational system over the long season given his Jack of All Trades abilities all over the pitch.

Oh well

Quick Reply