Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Women's World Cup 2019

Read 28293 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Women's World Cup 2019
      Reply #46: Jun 22, 2019 05:28:44 pm
      urgh, agree with lalas defo peno,offside was questionable but not worth getting  :f_steam: over.Germany by far the better team.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #47: Jun 22, 2019 05:54:05 pm
      Germany the better side? Of course they are. It's like Liverpool playing Preston.

But that's not the point. It's the dubious goals and decisions via VAR. How is that a definite penalty when she kicked the ball first, and enough contact to make the ball move away from the German player?

This tournament is a VAR trial, and it's failing badly. No way will the Premier League and World football apply the football rules like this because it destroys football. We'd have several VAR calls a game (like we are seeing here), and tons of penalties for all sides over the season.

What about the handball by the German player  in 1st half injury time? If that was a Nigerian, it would have been given as a pen.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #48: Jun 22, 2019 06:07:19 pm
      I dont understand this "new" interpretation of the gk penalty rule. It's never been implemented like this in any League or Tournament ever. I think its disrespectful to these teams to have such a rule blindly implemented without notifying the teams or their governing bodies pre tournament.
      This would NEVER have happened if it was the mens wc or Euros and shows complete disregard and disrespect to these players.  Maybe the WWC isn't as important or popular as the MWC, I get it. But, these players are just as dedicated and want to win as the mens WC. Its insulting.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #49: Jun 22, 2019 06:18:18 pm
      I believe they introduced the new interpretation on 1 June 2019. Not sure if they gave any earlier notice to prepare the goalkeepers for it, but clearly it's "new" to everyone, and a complete shambles.

The fact that - mid-tournament - FIFA are having to revise how the rule will be applied proves the point.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #50: Jun 22, 2019 06:19:49 pm
      I can just imagine a month ago all the FIFA board members are sitting in the FIFA Boardroom which looks like Bloefelds room at SPECTRE....all discussing how to try and implement VAR in order to make more money. I'm almost certain one of those fat, entitled scumbags said. "Just try it at the that little girls Tournament they're doing in France, who cares" as he smokes his Cohiba and takes a sip of Brandy served from the tray of a child slave they lock in the basement.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #51: Jun 23, 2019 08:03:21 pm
      Some scenes in the England game! Ridiculous stuff going on. The ref allowed it to happen too to add to the farce!
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #52: Jun 23, 2019 08:35:42 pm
      More shocking calls against an African team. No wonder why the Africans are calling on their countries to boycott FIFA events.

It's a disgrace.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #53: Jun 23, 2019 08:48:28 pm
      More shocking calls against an African team. No wonder why the Africans are calling on their countries to boycott FIFA events.

It's a disgrace.

Just want to check, are you saying the calls, by VAR in the England-Cameroon game, were incorrect? I've only seen the two off side calls, which VAR got right, despite taking something away from the game.

Mistakes, by refs, players and managers are some of my favourite things about the game. VAR is leading to the game I love becoming too sanitised.

If they really want to sort something out, timekeeping should be taken out of referee's hands.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #54: Jun 23, 2019 08:52:05 pm
      The replay and freeze frame I have seen shows that the Cameroon players heel was about 1 inch offside at best prior to Cameroon's goal.

Therefore it can't be given as offside by VAR.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #55: Jun 23, 2019 08:56:35 pm

It's a disgrace.

Wasn't really shocking though was it. Personally I don't think the Cameroon goal should have been ruled out but by the letter of the law it is offside. England's second goal was clearly onside so F**k knows why Cameroon were kicking off at that.

The ones that VAR really fu**ed up today ended up actually being in Cameroon's favour IMO. The challenge on Houghton at the end was a straight red and they were lucky to get away with that elbow early on as well.

Don't think Cameroon handled themselves well at all today.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #56: Jun 23, 2019 09:01:35 pm
      England goals were fine, but so too was that Cameroon goal.

2-1 might have been a different story. It is totally unfair to apply VAR in favour of one team. It should be equal.

Offside is where the forward player has gained an advantage. What advantage could she have possibly gained from that position in which she is walking away from the goal and her heel is marginally closer than the England player?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #57: Jun 23, 2019 09:04:20 pm
      The replay and freeze frame I have seen shows that the Cameroon players heel was about 1 inch offside at best prior to Cameroon's goal.

Therefore it can't be given as offside by VAR.

Offside is any part of your body you can score with. She is therefore offside.

As I said though, this is the sanitising of football, I'd prefer the mistake, mistakes are part of the game.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #58: Jun 23, 2019 09:17:43 pm
      according to FIFA:

A player is not committing an offence simply by being in an offside position.

While being in an offside position, there are three things a player cannot do:
      - interfere with play
      - interfere with an opponent
      - gain an advantage by being in the offside position

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #59: Jun 23, 2019 09:23:13 pm

Are you saying she didn't interfere with play?
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #60: Jun 23, 2019 09:45:36 pm
      I'm saying she didn't gain an advantage by being in an offside position... specifically her heel being one inch offside  :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Jun 23, 2019 10:12:17 pm
      But she did interfere with play, which, for some reason, you're ignoring.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #62: Jun 23, 2019 10:14:42 pm
      Isn't it a combination - involved in play AND gaining an advantage?

That's how it reads on the FIFA website.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #63: Jun 23, 2019 10:15:12 pm
      Nope, just any one of them.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #64: Jun 23, 2019 10:34:43 pm
      Actually yes, you are right. I've just been re-reading it and it is one of the three. Not the clearest though.

Not sure how you can gain an advantage without being involved in play though?  ;D

In this case, it is extremely harsh as she onside at the moment when she reacts to the ball. The England defenders were just slow, poor, and lucky.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #65: Jun 23, 2019 10:39:09 pm
      But what about this?

Huth (German player) is standing in an offside position directly in front of the goalkeeper, therefore obstructing the goal keeper's line of vision.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Jun 23, 2019 11:16:28 pm
      Offside is any part of your body you can score with. She is therefore offside.

As I said though, this is the sanitising of football, I'd prefer the mistake, mistakes are part of the game.

Exactly just help the Referees and that can be done a lot by players too.  Its going to kill atmospheres in the Grounds as crowds will just not celebrate until VAR has given its decision
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #67: Jun 23, 2019 11:47:31 pm
      But what about this?

Huth (German player) is standing in an offside position directly in front of the goalkeeper, therefore obstructing the goal keeper's line of vision.

Not seen it and I'd need more than a still to make a judgement.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #68: Jun 24, 2019 01:35:42 am
      Hopefully England will go out of the tournament via some harsh VAR call, and then we'll see all the self-righteous English lose the plot again.

Quick Reply