Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sepp van den Berg Player Thread (Loan to Mainz 05) (D)

Read 18167 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Sepp van den Berg Player Thread
      Reply #23: Dec 20, 2019 10:40:08 am
      Happy 18th kiddo, best of luck.

Happy birthday to him but in all honesty do any of you guys see this kid making it with us? He seems very average in the games I've seen, but he is still young.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #24: Dec 20, 2019 10:58:44 am
      Happy birthday to him but in all honesty do any of you guys see this kid making it with us? He seems very average in the games I've seen, but he is still young.
      Dont know what to think, still to early days, need more time in his legs before any of us could predict his future.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Dec 20, 2019 02:23:03 pm
      Dont know what to think, still to early days, need more time in his legs before any of us could predict his future.

yes but if you compare him to Hoever for example then the ability and reading of the game is miles apart, Hoever almost looks ready to play for the senior team but Sepp would scare the sh*t out of me if he lined up in the senior team.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #26: Dec 20, 2019 05:52:14 pm
      yes but if you compare him to Hoever for example then the ability and reading of the game is miles apart, Hoever almost looks ready to play for the senior team but Sepp would scare the sh*t out of me if he lined up in the senior team.

However also looks blessed with some superior physical traits, he’s quicker and more nimble/agile by the looks of it.  Den Berg is still so early in his LFC career so it’s best to evaluate a season or so down the line.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #27: Dec 20, 2019 05:56:46 pm
      Are people really knocking an 18 year old kid, who played against players who are vastly more experienced and physically developed?

Anything for a whinge I suppose.

Let's face it, the kids got thrown to the wolves, through no fault of their own, or the club.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #28: Dec 20, 2019 06:37:26 pm
      Prepared to give the dutch national set up and our coaching network the benefit of the doubt for a while.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #29: Dec 20, 2019 07:41:06 pm
      Are people really knocking an 18 year old kid, who played against players who are vastly more experienced and physically developed?

Anything for a whinge I suppose.

Let's face it, the kids got thrown to the wolves, through no fault of their own, or the club.

Nothing to do with Physicality, no one is expecting to match that  it's about positioning and awareness and at the moment the jury is out .
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #30: Dec 20, 2019 07:53:50 pm
      Not based on the villa game but he seems for a cb timid as F**k,dunno if it's a language issue or if he's not settled in,confidance but something's not right with the way he's playing.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31: Dec 20, 2019 10:06:46 pm
      Nothing to do with Physicality, no one is expecting to match that  it's about positioning and awareness and at the moment the jury is out .

Not based on the villa game but he seems for a cb timid as F**k,dunno if it's a language issue or if he's not settled in,confidance but something's not right with the way he's playing.

oh have a day off you daft sods.

He's a kid playing in a team of kids against a premier league team.

ffs.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #32: Dec 20, 2019 10:28:35 pm

ffs.

Who is basing judgements solely based on playing against Villa because I ain't.  So thank you very much for your insight but I think I will judge a player based on what I have seen and what I have seen is not great and I stick by that hopefully it improves but I am usually pretty good at working a players ability out
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #33: Dec 21, 2019 02:51:11 am
      Who is basing judgements solely based on playing against Villa because I ain't.  So thank you very much for your insight but I think I will judge a player based on what I have seen and what I have seen is not great and I stick by that hopefully it improves but I am usually pretty good at working a players ability out

Seeing CB's generally start really progressing between 26-28 i think i will give him 8-10 more years to judge him, he's still growing into his body; and figure our scouts figured his ability with that in mind.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #34: Dec 21, 2019 06:11:02 am
      Relax boys, this kid is going to become a solid player, if nothing he got his countryman to mentor him, everything is under control. ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35: Dec 21, 2019 12:11:02 pm
      His biggest problem from the little we’ve seen of him so far is he doesn’t think ahead, his anticipation isn’t there. Obviously physically he has a lot of work to do but that’s natural for a lot of players so that’s not something to worry about. Some players are able to handle themselves physically at that age but the majority aren’t.
      But, I think his reading of the game should be better than what it currently is, that’s my main concern with him. But look, it’s been difficult circumstances we’ve seen him in so far, so it’s not fair to write him off yet. It’s the start of his career so in the environment he’s now in, he’s only going to get better.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #36: Dec 21, 2019 03:56:44 pm

ffs.

I said not based on the Villa game but we paid money for him and he's played in the dutch league so yep hold him to higher standard then the likes of Remi Savage,who i think is a better player at the moment and Billy Koumetico in the u-18's.If we can't talk about players cos they're young than lock all the F***ing threads related to that and we can talk sh*te about Sakho instead.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #37: Dec 21, 2019 04:02:23 pm
      Seeing CB's generally start really progressing between 26-28 i think i will give him 8-10 more years to judge him, he's still growing into his body; and figure our scouts figured his ability with that in mind.

Oh get it now let's wait for 8-10 yrs before we work out if he is good enough 👍 Think I might give this gig a go sounds cool
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Dec 21, 2019 04:17:33 pm
      Just look at how old Virgil was before he was acknowledged as a top defender its a very difficult position to master
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #39: Dec 21, 2019 04:25:01 pm

I said not based on the Villa game but we paid money for him and he's played in the dutch league so yep hold him to higher standard then the likes of Remi Savage,who i think is a better player at the moment and Billy Koumetico in the u-18's.If we can't talk about players cos they're young than lock all the F***ing threads related to that and we can talk sh*te about Sakho instead.

18, been at the club 6 months, and you think you can "judge" him.   :lmao:

Like I said, have a day off you daft sod.

He's not long turned pro, and is not even finished growing.

This is the time to look at the foundations that are there, then build on them and improve area's that need working on.

You can talk about any player you want, just as I can piss myself laughing at the utter stupidity of someone trying to "judge" a lad who has barely had time to understand our systems, let alone anything else.

F**k me, much older players than this lad were given loads of time to understand our systems, and what was required of them, including Robertson and Fabinho, and you want to start picking apart a young lad, away from his home, who has only been here 6 months and hasn't even bedded in yet.

The mind F***ing boggles.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #40: Dec 21, 2019 04:39:40 pm
      Not F***ing judging, F***ing using an internet forum,Seen your previous form on here mate so i'm out of this.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41: Dec 21, 2019 04:57:29 pm
      Not F***ing judging, F***ing using an internet forum,Seen your previous form on here mate so i'm out of this.

Got it.
      You can have an opinion, but I can't  :roll:

Every kid of 18 is going to have weaknesses.
      Picking them out is not edgy, it's lazy.

You look at his attributes, the foundations he has to build on, how he progresses through the levels, not some half arsed sh*t about being "unsure" or whatever when he's been here 6 months.

Six F***ing months.
      I remember reading on here, when Roberston was being "Klopp'd" what a waste of money it had been, then the same people whinging about why Fabinho wasn't straight into the 1st team.
      6 months isn't even enough time for him to learn our systems.

The kid will have weaknesses.
      So what.
      That's what coaching is for.
      He's been bought for the future; it's that simple.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #42: Feb 08, 2020 12:22:36 am
      Good solid performance against Shrewsbury.  A massive improvement from his first few performance the kid is on the right track.  The way he winning headers after headers reminded me of another Dutch player!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43: Feb 08, 2020 11:33:14 am
      Good solid performance against Shrewsbury.  A massive improvement from his first few performance the kid is on the right track.  The way he winning headers after headers reminded me of another Dutch player!

Are we allowed to judge him on his improvement, don't want to incur the wrath of SWAB! ;-)

In all seriousness he is showing good signs of progress.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Feb 08, 2020 12:29:52 pm
      He has some very good CB's to learn from and he is a baby in terms of age for that position don't think we will see him in contention for a while yet .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Feb 09, 2020 01:36:17 pm
      It probably helps him that the pitches have been shrunk and he only has to defend the 16 yard box.  ;)

Quick Reply