Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sepp van den Berg Player Thread (Loan to Mainz 05) (D)

Read 18165 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Sepp van den Berg Player Thread
      Reply #46: Feb 01, 2021 08:31:42 pm
      He is confirmed as being loaned to Preston. Work hard Sepp.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #47: Feb 01, 2021 09:12:00 pm
      I’m actually really intrigued how he gets on, I was very excited when we got him but unfortunately we haven’t seen much, even in the cups.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #48: Feb 01, 2021 09:26:48 pm
      Great move for the boy. Best of luck to him
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #49: Nov 20, 2021 05:25:26 pm
      It seems he's been deployed mostly as a right back for Preston. He's never been the quickest, so it's a bit of a strange one...
      I don't think he will have a future with us in that position, but it can be good for his overall development.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #50: Nov 21, 2021 02:13:12 pm
      It seems he's been deployed mostly as a right back for Preston. He's never been the quickest, so it's a bit of a strange one...
      I don't think he will have a future with us in that position, but it can be good for his overall development.
      Yeah, I wonder what's up with that. He did play the last 4 games as a center-back according to Transfermarkt  (in a 3 men backline) but it's mostly been RWB this season as well as last season.

I guess it can't really do him any bad in terms of becoming better with the ball at his feet as well as passing the ball but I also guess there is some things beyond my understanding that are going on in terms of our staff's vision for him
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #51: Nov 29, 2021 06:56:27 pm
      Yeah, I wonder what's up with that. He did play the last 4 games as a center-back according to Transfermarkt  (in a 3 men backline) but it's mostly been RWB this season as well as last season.

I guess it can't really do him any bad in terms of becoming better with the ball at his feet as well as passing the ball but I also guess there is some things beyond my understanding that are going on in terms of our staff's vision for him

Could be as simple as he isn't bulky enough to be a CB (YET), especially in a physical league like the championship.
      He has the ability to play the games but maybe the coaches see it as a weakness that he hasn't fully physically developed yet. Similar to Joe Gomez' development
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #52: Nov 29, 2021 11:33:53 pm
      Could be as simple as he isn't bulky enough to be a CB (YET), especially in a physical league like the championship.
      He has the ability to play the games but maybe the coaches see it as a weakness that he hasn't fully physically developed yet. Similar to Joe Gomez' development

Could be, but that's usually something you'd do with the ressies. It's a little bit strange to take a player on loan, and then play him out of position...
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #53: Mar 19, 2022 02:31:42 pm
      Anybody watches the Championship and could give us an update on this kid? If I remember correctly I liked his performance when he played against us in the League Cup back in October.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #54: Mar 20, 2022 12:53:46 pm
      Anybody watches the Championship and could give us an update on this kid? If I remember correctly I liked his performance when he played against us in the League Cup back in October.

Reports are he has done well and is a bit of a fan favourite.
      I always thought he was a bit slow tbh. Especially with our high line.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #55: Mar 20, 2022 01:47:31 pm
      Not sure he'll become part of our set up in the long run but he has done well, so we at least will get a tidy profit on him.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Re: Sepp van den Berg Player Thread (D)
      Reply #56: Aug 19, 2022 01:52:52 pm
      I wish we saw more of him during preseason, but I thought he did well for the little cameo he had and overall he's done well with the loan opportunities he was given since joining us. I think he has the potential to be part of the squad in the future. What I like about him is that when I see him playing I feel like he has lots of qualities for a CB. Good passes, decent speed, physical, reads the game defensively pretty well, etc. Unfortunately for him our injury crisis is keeping him at the club, but he's also not getting minutes.

I hope Gomez and Matip both make it back soon so we can send him on loan because, right now, other than training with the likes of VVD, Matip and Gomez, he's not really getting valuable minutes of play. I'd love to see him loaned out to a PL side or if minutes can't be guaranteed this way then to another Championship side.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Sepp van den Berg Player Thread (on loan FC Schalke 04) (D)
      Reply #57: Aug 31, 2022 01:16:02 pm
      Gone on loan to FC Schalke 04 for the season after signing new contract.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #58: Aug 31, 2022 01:18:25 pm
      Gone on loan to FC Schalke 04 for the season after signing new contract.

Step up from Preston - after this he will either show he is good enough or Schalke will pay a decent fee for him
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #59: Oct 02, 2022 08:07:40 pm
      Pretty brutal looking injury tonight against Augsburg. Hopefully its not too bad. It's a shame because he was having a pretty good loan so far since joining them (based on the videos I've watched of his minutes in those games.)

Get well soon Sepp.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #60: Oct 02, 2022 08:41:55 pm
      Pretty brutal looking injury tonight against Augsburg. Hopefully its not too bad. It's a shame because he was having a pretty good loan so far since joining them (based on the videos I've watched of his minutes in those games.)

Get well soon Sepp.

Just saw it. Wish I hadn't... It looks really bad.
      Hopefully, he'll make a full (and speedy) recovery.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #61: Oct 03, 2022 10:31:25 pm
      As expected, no good news for the young lad. Out at least until the end of the year with serious ligament damage.  :(
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #62: Oct 04, 2022 01:24:09 am
      Get well soon Sepp.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #63: Oct 11, 2022 02:09:09 pm
      He is ruled out for the rest of this year having had surgery on his ankle. Expected to make a comeback after the WC. Hopefully whoever is the coach by then at Schalke gives him a chance because he was doing well before the injury. I think Van den Berg is one of our brightest young talents.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #64: Oct 11, 2022 02:11:37 pm
      He is ruled out for the rest of this year having had surgery on his ankle. Expected to make a comeback after the WC. Hopefully whoever is the coach by then at Schalke gives him a chance because he was doing well before the injury. I think Van den Berg is one of our brightest young talents.

players even getting injured at other clubs. l o l
      Stoertebembel
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 283 posts | 62 
      Reply #65: Jul 13, 2023 07:56:11 pm
      Sepp van den Berg continues to play in the Bundesliga after leaving FC Schalke 04 on loan and is moving to 1. FSV Mainz 05. In addition, "possibilities for longer cooperation" were defined.

https://www.transfermarkt.de/fix-van-den-berg-zieht-weiter-zu-mainz-05-ndash-nachste-leihe-vom-fc-liverpool/view/news/424850
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Re: Sepp van den Berg Player Thread (Loan to Mainz 05) (D)
      Reply #66: Feb 13, 2024 06:52:47 pm
      Did not know that, but Mainz apparently have an option to buy at the end of the loan (not sure if there is conditions attacked to that clause). Apparently, he's been very good for them (unfortunately for them, they suck and will still be relegated).

I wouldn't mind having another Quansah in the team in VDG come this time next year.
      Stoertebembel
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 283 posts | 62 
      Re: Sepp van den Berg Player Thread (Loan to Mainz 05) (D)
      Reply #67: Mar 02, 2024 10:00:30 am
      """Liverpool loanee Sepp van den Berg has long since developed into a leading player in the three-man chain of FSV Mainz 05, which is threatened with relegation: apart from a yellow card suspension on matchday 12, the 22-year-old Dutchman played all games in the current season and was only not counted twice in the initial phase to the starting eleven for Rheinhessen. According to information from “Kicker”, the Bundesliga club has a right of first refusal on the 1.92 meter tall defensive giant - but the possible financing is shaky.

“He is a leader and the boss in the middle. He's getting better and better," Mainz coach Bo Henriksen recently praised his protĂ©gĂ©, who was nominated for the team of the match day by TM users for his performance last week and in the 2-1 defeat was one of the best players in the FSV jersey against league leaders Leverkusen. Whether the Zwolle homegrown player, whose contract at Anfield runs until 2026, could have a future in Mainz beyond the summer will largely depend on the sporting performance of the Bundesliga second-to-last team and the corresponding financial possibilities."""

https://www.transfermarkt.de/-kicker-quot-mainz-besitzt-vorkaufsrecht-fur-van-den-berg-finanzierung-wackelt/view/news/434316

Quick Reply