Trending Topics

Next match: Dortmund v LFC [Friendly] Fri 19th Jul @ 1:00 am
      University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA

Today is the 16th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W6 D0 L1

Preseason squad for friendlies in England, America.

Read 1583 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Preseason squad for friendlies in England, America.
      Jun 27, 2019 03:50:15 pm
      I know a number of our first team players are on still on international duty this summer. With our preseason training just 9 days away, help me out together a squad for the july 11 and 14 friendlies in England and the American tour the 19th through the 25th. Jürgen probably wants 25 players so who does he include

I'll start with Mignolet and Kelleher as goalkeepers, maybe Grabara as well. What about defenders, midfielders and forwards? I wonder if some of our repeat loan players will stay with squad for a bit just to fill out the numbers.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Re: Preseason squad for friendlies in England, America.
      Reply #1: Jun 27, 2019 04:40:58 pm
      I've got 30 names so far but not sure when each player will report.

I expect Bobby, Allison, Mo, Sadio and maybe Naby to miss preseason through the matches in America, so they aren't in my 30.

Anyone else up for some.squad predictions or this too geeky for everyone?
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019 09:44:49 pm by Robby The Z »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 459 
      Reply #2: Jun 27, 2019 05:58:14 pm
      Far to nerdy mate! In the words of Stiff little Fingers just wait and see.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #3: Jun 27, 2019 09:46:21 pm
      Far to nerdy mate! In the words of Stiff little Fingers just wait and see.

You have crushed my dreams of thread-starting, niche anorak punditry forever, you cruel, cruel man.

Back to my box of dirt until sunrise!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #4: Jun 27, 2019 11:41:35 pm
      Due to overwhelming demand, I'm sharing my list with everyone.

I think all of these will be available for the friendlies from July 11 through July 25 and thus will probably travel to America:

Goalkeepers: (3) Mignolet, Kelleher, Grabara

Defenders (12):
      RB - Trent, Clyne, Hoever
      CB - Virgil, Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Phillips, Van den Berg
      LB - Robbo, Lewis, Larouci

Midfielders (9): Fabinho, Gini, Milner, Henderson, Ox, Grujic*, Lallana, Jones, Woodburn*

Forwards (6): Origi, Brewster, Shaquiri, Wilson, Glatzel, Duncan

* - if he's not transferred or loaned by then.

Returning by July 28 in Edinburgh vs. Napoli should be Allison, Keita, Mane, Salah, Firmino, with some of the kids dropping off.

There's also a few players who should go out on loan but might play especially in the first two matches as they build fitness - like Ejaria and Kent.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,797 posts | 382 
      Reply #5: Jun 27, 2019 11:56:12 pm
      Yes there will be some that need some sort of a break. In the old days most clocked off early in May and didn't report back untill mid July but now with all the commitments and international demands they have a couple of weeks.

These demands can effect players outlook. So much pressure to maintain form. In Klopp we have a manager that understands the pressure but I would like to see 2/3 fresh faces. The boss needs more options up front.

The FA cup and the League cup should definitely be way down the pecking order.I know they are but this time it has to be fact.
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,503 posts | 263 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2019 10:49:56 am
      Would like to see Lewis get a few games at left back given Robbo should be allowed a bit extra recovery after playing so many games last season & having a hamstring issue lately.

Would also like to see Hoever given minutes in the two games before America and maybe some over there.

The player I'm most looking forward to though is Harry Wilson. I really want him here next season and he needs a good pre season I think to convince Klopp to keep him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2019 12:43:12 pm
      Would like to see Lewis get a few games at left back given Robbo should be allowed a bit extra recovery after playing so many games last season & having a hamstring issue lately.

Would also like to see Hoever given minutes in the two games before America and maybe some over there.

The player I'm most looking forward to though is Harry Wilson. I really want him here next season and he needs a good pre season I think to convince Klopp to keep him.
      sounds like Harry will have that chance.

We have one of the very few top club managers whose mentality is develop first and transfer second. There's a place for both but so many managers just want to know how much money they can spend. it's exceptional at this strata for Jürgen to give opportunities, but he does. Not everyone ei make it, but he gives them a chance.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,827 posts | 3639 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2019 01:48:07 pm
      Apparently the brick wall is being rebuilt and those wanting a Career at Liverpool have one option run through it or go elsewhere.
      Looking forward to seeing some of the young lads who will have a chance to catch Jürgen's eye and they can do that by just giving everything they can for the team .
      Compuche
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 521 posts | 37 
      Reply #9: Jun 30, 2019 05:33:45 am

And Grujic
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,831 posts | 1957 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2019 09:15:14 am
      Goalkeepers: Mignolet, Kelleher, Grabara

Defenders:
      RB - Trent, Gomez, Clyne,
      CB - Virgil, Matip, Lovren, Van den Berg, Hoever, Phillips
      LB - Robbo, Lewis

Midfielders: Fabinho, Gini, Milner, Henderson, AOC, Grujic, Lallana, Jones, Woodburn

Forwards: Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri, Wilson, Glatzel, Duncan

Mixture of these. Klopp will mix them for sure.

NB: Team no longer available

NB: Team no longer available
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #11: Jul 01, 2019 03:18:00 pm
      Grujic gone before preseason.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,626 posts | 4171 
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2019 09:20:06 am
      Pre-season training commences this Saturday (6th July).

Liverpool are giving all the players involved in international tournaments 3 weeks off from when they finish.

So Alisson and Firmino will be back about the 28th/29th July so will join up during the French/Swiss training camp and might be involved in the Community Shield.

It's possible both Senegal and Egypt could not meet until the final of AFCON which is 19th July.  If that does happen then can't see Salah or Sadio being involved in either the first Premier League game or the UEFA Super Cup Final.   :-\
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #13: Jul 05, 2019 03:20:25 pm
      Beep tests tomorrow!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #14: Jul 05, 2019 06:35:43 pm

16 players set to begin Liverpool pre-season on Saturday
      Arroyo, Brewster, Clyne, Fabinho, Gomez, Kent, Hoever, Jones, Lallana, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Van den Berg, Wilson, Woodburn.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/355344-16-players-set-to-begin-liverpool-pre-season-on-saturday

Milner or Lallana to win it!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #15: Jul 06, 2019 01:56:47 am
      16 players set to begin Liverpool pre-season on Saturday
      Arroyo, Brewster, Clyne, Fabinho, Gomez, Kent, Hoever, Jones, Lallana, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Van den Berg, Wilson, Woodburn.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/355344-16-players-set-to-begin-liverpool-pre-season-on-saturday

Milner or Lallana to win it!

Has to be Milner.

By the way, this squad will be augmented for the friendlies by the U23s.

What is the rule with Anderson Arroyo for a friendly match. Does he have to have a work permit before he can play in a friendly? Interested in seeing what he looks like at left back.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 459 
      Reply #16: Jul 06, 2019 03:45:31 pm
      Has to be Milner.

By the way, this squad will be augmented for the friendlies by the U23s.

What is the rule with Anderson Arroyo for a friendly match. Does he have to have a work permit before he can play in a friendly? Interested in seeing what he looks like at left back.

u-23 team has a game on July 15th against The Spartans fc,dunno how that's gonna play into line-ups? Any bets on who calls out first with minor injury.Lallana,Woodburn gotta be best odds!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 459 
      Reply #17: Jul 06, 2019 04:32:45 pm
      Computer says Kelleher out wrist injury,dunno if Jaros steps up?Shamal George looks likely away and Grabera isn't available from the euro u-21 tourny.Ha ha where is  Bogdan when ya need him!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #18: Jul 06, 2019 04:39:53 pm
      Computer says Kelleher out wrist injury,dunno if Jaros steps up?Shamal George looks likely away and Grabera isn't available from the euro u-21 tourny.Ha ha where is  Bogdan when ya need him!!

Re the injury, did he break it over the summer working in the garden? If it is an injury from last season he should have had something done earlier than this.

Sign Jerzy Dudek for these two matches! Or maybe Sander Westerveld!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #19: Jul 08, 2019 01:29:29 am
      The players had the footballs out today, just the 2nd day of preseason. Things have changed.

LFC put out a video showing players doing a couple types of possession drills, obviously looking to build sharpness. On one of them I noticed a goalkeeper working in the background with a coach and was wondering who it is. I suppose the U23s are training at Melwood, perhaps at the same time as there are enough pitches. There was a photo in the gallery of someone wearing goalkeeper gloves so maybe that is a preview of who will play in goal on Thursday. I didn't recognize him. Looked too young to be a coach.

Edit: Just looked at the Academy goalkeeper pics and it looks to be a lad  named Winterbottom who is 17, signed from Blackburn Rovers in the spring. We have five Academy goalkeepers listed on the official web site so, no shortage of somebody to fill in on Thursday.

Anderson Arroyo looks to have very good technique. I'll repeat the question I asked here or somewhere else. Can he play in a friendly if he doesn't have a work permit? I mean, he's training and getting paid now, but is a non-competitive match considered to be some threshold in the legalities re that?

Origi and Shaqiri report Monday morning, but Shaq has an injury. That leaves five spots open for the friendly (2 goalkeepers, a left back and two forwards) if Klopp goes with the previous 45-minute runs out in early preseason. Another edit: If Origi is back shouldn't Simon Mignolet be reporting back as well?
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2019 02:06:21 am by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #20: Jul 08, 2019 06:25:54 pm
      Lovren due back this week. Today's training video shows a number of U23s joining the squad in advance if the friendly (and prob for 11v11 training drills), plus two goalkeepers

Some of this year's haircuts don't match last year's pics, but I definitely saw/heard Ovie Ejaria, Yasser Larouci and Edvard Tagseth in the group . I think Jarod was one of the goalkeepers.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #21: Jul 08, 2019 07:27:43 pm

I really really really liked what I saw in the 17/18 season, but never really followed up with his progress last season. Glad he is training with the first team in pre-season!
      Livershrew
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | 66 
      Reply #22: Jul 09, 2019 01:31:53 pm
      Shaqiri still injured then... remember him picking it up in the 3rd place game v England and it didn’t look good.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #23: Jul 09, 2019 07:39:02 pm
      Shaqiri still injured then... remember him picking it up in the 3rd place game v England and it didn’t look good.

Jürgen's comment on the official site made it sound like it will be a while.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #24: Jul 10, 2019 01:27:08 pm
      Just saw Bobby Duncan and Paul Glatzel are in the pre-season USA squad tour! Even more surprising, they are actually a year younger than Brewster!

I wonder, could Duncan or Glatzel surprise us and jump ahead of Brewster.... or even Origi?! Exciting times knowing we have 3 exceptional young strikers ! Maybe we will see the next Fowler/Owen in one of them.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,626 posts | 4171 
      Reply #25: Jul 10, 2019 01:45:00 pm
      Rumour was Bobby Duncan was off on loan so it could well be a shop window thing.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #26: Jul 10, 2019 03:10:55 pm
      Just saw Bobby Duncan and Paul Glatzel are in the pre-season USA squad tour! Even more surprising, they are actually a year younger than Brewster!

I wonder, could Duncan or Glatzel surprise us and jump ahead of Brewster.... or even Origi?! Exciting times knowing we have 3 exceptional young strikers ! Maybe we will see the next Fowler/Owen in one of them.

I see that this morning, but I expect its just to give them a taste and make up numbers early. I wouldn't expect them with the first team this season. Look forward to seeing them Thursday and Sunday
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #27: Jul 10, 2019 03:12:09 pm
      I really really really liked what I saw in the 17/18 season, but never really followed up with his progress last season. Glad he is training with the first team in pre-season!

I think I mistook Bobby Duncan for him. Tagseth not involved with first team
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #28: Jul 10, 2019 03:24:50 pm
      So after reading the article on the official site with Jürgen – he outlines his thoughts on young players getting a chance. He best quote (I paraphrase): “We only open the door, we don’t push them through it.”
      The result of the games Thursday and Sunday are meaningless, but it’s always great to see the team, and it must be a wonderful occasion for these young players who will get a game due to the number of first team players still on break (and in Sadio’s case his season hasn’t even ended yet).

Klopp seems to indicate Mignolet will play despite just reporting today, but he seems to be holding Lovren out. That may be due to a lack of fitness, or is there still discussion about a move to Italy for Dejan (Klopp didn’t say). He also mentions the forwards Paul Glatzel and Bobby Duncan by name, as getting a chance for these games and maybe in America too.

So here’s one way it could play out if Jürgen uses separate XIs per half as he has done for opening matches in the past.

1st Half
      Mignolet
      Clyne, Matip, Gomez, Arroyo
      Fabinho, Milner, Oxlaide-Chamberlain
      Wilson, Origi, Lallana

2nd Half
      Jaros
      Hoever, Van Den Berg, Phillips, Laroucci or Lewis
      Ejaria, Woodburn, Jones
      Kent, Brewster, Duncan or Glatzel (maybe use one on Thursday and one on Sunday)

(There’s also a chance that some of these could still be moved on loan at any point, including Kent, Woodburn, Ejaria or Curtis Jones).
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2019 10:28:57 pm by Robby The Z »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29: Jul 10, 2019 04:19:11 pm

They both had brilliant seasons and scored so many goals between them so I’m not surprised.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,831 posts | 1957 
      Reply #30: Jul 10, 2019 08:00:27 pm
      So after reading the article on the official site with Jürgen – he outlines his thoughts on young players getting a change. He best quote (I paraphrase): “We only open the door, we don’t push them through it.”
      The result of the games Thursday and Sunday are meaningless, but it’s always great to see the team, and it must be a wonderful occasion for these young players who will get a game due to the number of first team players still on break (and in Sadio’s case his season hasn’t even ended yet).

Klopp seems to indicate Mignolet will play despite just reporting today, but he seems to be holding Lovren out. That may be due to a lack of fitness, or is there still discussion about a move to Italy for Dejan (Klopp didn’t say). He also mentions the forwards Paul Glatzel and Bobby Duncan by name, as getting a chance for these games and maybe in America too.

So here’s one way it could play out if Jürgen uses separate XIs per half as he has done for opening matches in the past.

1st Half
      Mignolet
      Clyne, Matip, Gomez, Arroyo
      Fabinho, Milner, Oxlaide-Chamberlain
      Wilson, Origi, Lallana

2nd Half
      Jaros
      Hoever, Van Den Berg, Phillips, Laroucci or Lewis
      Ejaria, Woodburn, Jones
      Kent, Brewster, Duncan or Glatzel (maybe use one on Thursday and one on Sunday)

(There’s also a chance that some of these could still be moved on loan at any point, including Kent, Woodburn, Ejaria or Curtis Jones).

I think he will mix them up!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #31: Jul 11, 2019 02:24:48 am

Nah, Jürgen's good with young players. He won't confuse them.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,831 posts | 1957 
      Reply #32: Jul 11, 2019 05:43:27 am
      Nah, Jürgen's good with young players. He won't confuse them.

I disagree, he will give them some experience with them, some leaders.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #33: Jul 11, 2019 12:15:50 pm
      I disagree, he will give them some experience with them, some leaders.

Sorry, was trying make a joke with "mix them up" vs. "confuse" Maybe lost in transatlantic translation.  :)

What you say about the lineup makes sense, and he did that last year now that you mention it.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 719 posts | 184 
      Reply #34: Jul 11, 2019 01:15:36 pm
      What time is the Tranmere game on tonight, anyone?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,297 posts | 1815 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #35: Jul 11, 2019 01:23:03 pm
      What time is the Tranmere game on tonight, anyone?

Kick off at 7.30. Build up starts at 6.45
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #36: Jul 11, 2019 01:39:01 pm
      Kick off at 7.30. Build up starts at 6.45

Oh, I started the buildup weeks ago right here on LFC Reds!!!  ;D
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 719 posts | 184 
      Reply #37: Jul 11, 2019 03:31:28 pm
      Thanks guys.
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,503 posts | 263 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #38: Jul 11, 2019 04:37:02 pm
      Would like to see something like this tonight:

Mignolet

Hoever     Gomez     Matip     Lewis

Fabinho
                     Oxlade   Lallana

Wilson       Brewster     Woodburn
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #39: Jul 14, 2019 01:22:33 pm
      Lovren into the squad today, I assume in place of George Johnston. Liam Miller replaces Paul Glatzel.

From now until May, we shouldn't ever have to wait more than a week to enjoy our team in action
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,297 posts | 1815 
      Reply #40: Jul 14, 2019 01:29:43 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #41: Jul 14, 2019 03:57:49 pm
      3-0 up at the break, 2 from Milly and 1 from Brewster.

Lallana stunk the place out, completely ineffective again and kept getting tackled trying to do drag backs.
      Clyne not much better, made an attempt to tackle in the last few seconds but was about a yard away from the player so just fell on the ground.
      2 players I’d happily see us sell on, be better than losing them on a free next year.

Kent looking bright and Wilson grew into the half. Some nice bits of 1 and 2 touch play.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 252 posts | 73 
      Reply #42: Jul 14, 2019 04:01:17 pm

Lallana stunk the place out, completely ineffective again and kept getting tackled trying to do drag backs.
      Clyne not much better, made an attempt to tackle in the last few seconds but was about a yard away from the player so just fell on the ground.
      2 players I’d happily see us sell on, be better than losing them on a free next year.

Kent looking bright and Wilson grew into the half. Some nice bits of 1 and 2 touch play.

Brewster scored again, how's he looking? Neil Mellor or Michael Owen at this point?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,467 posts | 295 
      Reply #43: Jul 14, 2019 04:12:43 pm
      Clyne will be sold surely ... Could fetch around 17-18 mil. Lallana probably will go on a free at the end of the season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #44: Jul 14, 2019 04:27:12 pm
      Brewster scored again, how's he looking? Neil Mellor or Michael Owen at this point?

Well it was a tap in on a rebound but gotta be there to score them. To be honest, aside from that he was pretty quiet, couple bits of link up play with Wilson and won the ball back a couple times well but that was about it, was much quieter than last time out.
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,372 posts | 1926 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #45: Jul 14, 2019 04:56:59 pm
      Compuche
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 521 posts | 37 
      Reply #46: Jul 14, 2019 06:42:30 pm

Lallana Stays...
      Compuche
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 521 posts | 37 
      Reply #47: Jul 14, 2019 06:46:27 pm
      Well it was a tap in on a rebound but gotta be there to score them. To be honest, aside from that he was pretty quiet, couple bits of link up play with Wilson and won the ball back a couple times

The boy is good. He can score, that we know... but Linking up and winning back a ball - those are the ingredients that will make him exceptional
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #48: Jul 14, 2019 09:37:32 pm
      First half was alright but the main takeaway from this match is that Jürgen is working the boys like dogs. Some heavy legs on display after the first 20 minutes and especially in the 2nd half.

Milner, Brewster and Ryan Kent played pretty well in the 1st half. In the 2nd half Fabinho did alright and Liam Miller had some decent touches. Curtis Jones was fairly good as well, but overall it was tired. I'm glad they were able to raise so much money. That made it worthwhile.

Klopp said it best about the final 45 minutes:

“Second half we never really could get the rhythm so it was a bit boring to be honest. If you are not creative on a specific day then you have to use the simple solutions and you need to still be direct but we passed it around, which was a waste of time."
      « Last Edit: Jul 14, 2019 09:52:15 pm by Robby The Z »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,827 posts | 3639 
      Reply #49: Jul 14, 2019 09:40:08 pm

the only thing Brewster needs to do is score goals and lots of them I remember Owen at 17 went to watch him and I thought whats all the fuss about then bang bang two goals and I thought ah yes now I get it and this lad is going to be every bit as good if not better.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #50: Yesterday at 02:37:02 pm
      Colombian left back Anderson Arroyo was due to travel to America but is out six weeks with an injury. Horrible timing for the youngster who needs a loan move
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,297 posts | 1815 
      Reply #51: Yesterday at 10:15:13 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #52: Yesterday at 10:25:03 pm
      Our traveling squad for the American matches:

GK: Simon Mignolet, Jakub Ojrzynski, Daniel Atherton

D: Nathanael Clyne, Virgil Van Dijk,  Dejan Lovren,  Joe Gomez,  Andy Robertson,  Joel Matip,  Adam Lewis, Nat Phillips,  Kijana Hoever,  Yassir Larouci, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Sepp Van den Berg

M: Fabinho,  Gini Wijnaldum, James Milner, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Lallana, Curtis Jones, Ben Woodburn 

F: Rhian Brewster, Ryan Kent, Divock Origi, Bobby Duncan, Harry Wilson.

So nobody really cut unless you count Liam Millar who filled in at forward after Glatzel was injured. A young goalkeeper added along with Hendo and Gini in midfield. Trent, Virgil, Andy and Sepp Van Den Berg in the back (12 defenders!) and that's the group, with Shaq and Naby not fit enough to make the trip.

Just seeing now that Kamil Grabara signed a new contract and will be loaned all season at Huddersfield. The staff must really like him.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,959 posts | 193 
      • do do do
      Reply #53: Today at 03:59:29 am
      i like how basically everything is in place for the second string forwards to get better. Brewster, Kent, Wilson, Duncan and even Origi can get better and have basically a full strength team feeding them - great preparation for the season!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,711 posts | 1869 
      Reply #54: Today at 09:43:03 am
      With so many senior players missing from the preseason squad its an excellent opportunity for the youngsters to prove their worth but I am slightly concerned that we'll be going into the new season with a lot of our main players not match fit, perhaps we'll be relying on some of these youngsters in the first few weeks.

Makes me much less confident about the community shield and super cup but I guess Citeh and Chelsea will be in the same boat.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,939 posts | 415 
      Reply #55: Today at 09:57:52 am
      With so many senior players missing from the preseason squad its an excellent opportunity for the youngsters to prove their worth but I am slightly concerned that we'll be going into the new season with a lot of our main players not match fit, perhaps we'll be relying on some of these youngsters in the first few weeks.

Makes me much less confident about the community shield and super cup but I guess Citeh and Chelsea will be in the same boat.

Not that bad mate... there's enough experience in defence and midfield. Ali will probably not take too long to regain match fitness. Goalie don't need to run as much.

So it's only the front three... I'd say it's perfect for Rhian, Harry, Divock, Bobby and the rest. If they don't play they'll never gain first team experience. This is the time. Aside from Divock who is already a legend, one of them is potentially a Robbo or Trent in the making. We just need to give them the opportunity.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #56: Today at 11:27:05 am
      Not that bad mate... there's enough experience in defence and midfield. Ali will probably not take too long to regain match fitness. Goalie don't need to run as much.

So it's only the front three... I'd say it's perfect for Rhian, Harry, Divock, Bobby and the rest. If they don't play they'll never gain first team experience. This is the time. Aside from Divock who is already a legend, one of them is potentially a Robbo or Trent in the making. We just need to give them the opportunity.

Bobby Duncan is definitely the longer term project of this group and probably the least likely of them to feature with the first team in competitive matches this season, but it is a great experience for him at a young age to get this development opportunity. Very interested to see how Harry, Ryan and Rhian fare as the competition ramps up in these coming matches.

Quick Reply