Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Preseason friendlies in England, America

Read 48804 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Preseason squad for friendlies in England, America.
      Reply #115: Jul 20, 2019 12:07:19 pm
      Only saw 10 mins of highlights but it was good too see young Wilson get in the scoresheet with a nicely taken finish. I really hope he has a good pre season and forces his way into the managers plans. Plus thatā€™s 4 goals already for Brewster, his progress could be key for us this season so itā€™s great to see him in the goals
      At the risk of repeatedly repeating myself Brewster is going to be a revelation this season. How and when he will play will be interesting especially with Mo and Sadio probably not available to start the season. I think we are still probably doing double sessions so the game results and the number of changes make the results irrelevant.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #116: Jul 20, 2019 02:02:44 pm
      At the risk of repeatedly repeating myself Brewster is going to be a revelation this season. How and when he will play will be interesting especially with Mo and Sadio probably not available to start the season. I think we are still probably doing double sessions so the game results and the number of changes make the results irrelevant.

I really hope you are right, about time for another home grown striker.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #117: Jul 20, 2019 02:09:36 pm
      Should have added last night that in the first half, Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain showed some very promising signs building the attack from midfield. More of that please Ox.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #118: Jul 20, 2019 04:28:31 pm
      You not interested in our match against Citeh then?

Itā€™s just a pre season friendly that the mancs tried to claim as a major trophy to help them overhaul our trophy count. Itā€™s a charity pre season friendly and thatā€™s it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #119: Jul 20, 2019 04:40:29 pm
      Itā€™s just a pre season friendly that the mancs tried to claim as a major trophy to help them overhaul our trophy count. Itā€™s a charity pre season friendly and thatā€™s it

I want all the silverware we can get. Especially when weā€™ve won so little over the last decade. Plus itā€™s a chance to get one up on City early on.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #120: Jul 20, 2019 04:46:27 pm
      just over 40,000 last night,60 bux to park ya car. Gonna be stupid hot again at fenway tomorrow.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #121: Jul 20, 2019 05:23:04 pm
      Should have added last night that in the first half, Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain showed some very promising signs building the attack from midfield. More of that please Ox.

one of Jurgens "new" players I cant wait to see how he does he was looking more and more influential before his injury. We have got quite a midfield now .
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #122: Jul 20, 2019 05:28:23 pm
      I want all the silverware we can get. Especially when weā€™ve won so little over the last decade. Plus itā€™s a chance to get one up on City early on.

Itā€™s not silverware- itā€™s as much a piece of silverware as the Asia Cup. Itā€™s just a friendly.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #123: Jul 20, 2019 06:09:23 pm
      Itā€™s not silverware- itā€™s as much a piece of silverware as the Asia Cup. Itā€™s just a friendly.

Silverware is The EPL, the CL, the FA Cup and the League Cup everything else is meaningless. If we win the Charity shield the Super Cup and the WCC but nothing else it will not mean a great deal .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #124: Jul 20, 2019 06:16:42 pm

Anything thatā€™s one up on our closest competition going into the new season is worth having IMO. Plus it will give the players a bit more confidence getting the win.

Even though itā€™s not a prestigious competition, every year teams are fielding virtually their strongest line up for it.

The year we cleaned up and ended up with 5 bits of silverware, everyone was more than happy including the Community Shield and Super Cup then and I expect the people saying itā€™s a waste of time will be more than happy to include them again if we get a haul next season.

Whether you are bothered or not, it makes no difference to me but I want us to be getting one up on City straight away and do you think the players arenā€™t going to give a damn? They will battle City all the way to try and get the win.

Iā€™m fully aware itā€™s nothing special to win but a win is a win and ultimately it is something to play for that you can only play if you win the FA Cup or finish top 2, so itā€™s not something thatā€™s happened often for the last decade. If we lose then we lose, not going to cry about it. Think itā€™d be good to get a little bonus as the season starts, thatā€™s all, Iā€™m hardly saying itā€™s something as great as the League or CL so chill  :-\

I canā€™t believe people are making a fuss over wanting to get one up on City a week before the season actually starts...
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2019 06:30:31 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #125: Jul 20, 2019 06:19:03 pm
      Silverware is The EPL, the CL, the FA Cup and the League Cup everything else is meaningless. If we win the Charity shield the Super Cup and the WCC but nothing else it will not mean a great deal .

I'd be ok if we pick up the club world cup,cos i think it's gonna get bigger/more important as time goes by.And we've not ticked that winners box yet,still kinda pissed we didn't get the cup winners cup back in the olden days!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #126: Jul 20, 2019 06:43:55 pm
      Anything thatā€™s one up on our closest competition going into the new season is worth having IMO. Plus it will give the players a bit more confidence getting the win.

Even though itā€™s not a prestigious competition, every year teams are fielding virtually their strongest line up for it.

The year we cleaned up and ended up with 5 bits of silverware, everyone was more than happy including the Community Shield and Super Cup then and I expect the people saying itā€™s a waste of time will be more than happy to include them again if we get a haul next season.

Whether you are bothered or not, it makes no difference to me but I want us to be getting one up on City straight away and do you think the players arenā€™t going to give a damn? They will battle City all the way to try and get the win.

Iā€™m fully aware itā€™s nothing special to win but a win is a win and ultimately it is something to play for that you can only play if you win the FA Cup or finish top 2, so itā€™s not something thatā€™s happened often for the last decade. If we lose then we lose, not going to cry about it. Think itā€™d be good to get a little bonus as the season starts, thatā€™s all, Iā€™m hardly saying itā€™s something as great as the League or CL so chill  :-\

I canā€™t believe people are making a fuss over wanting to get one up on City a week before the season actually starts...

Donā€™t believe anyone has said ā€œitā€™s a waste of timeā€

It is what it is - another pre season friendly and until recently thatā€™s all it was but the Mancs have tired to upgrade it and we appear to be following on with it - the year we won ā€œ5 trophiesā€ only 3 really counted and itā€™s those that get added to the honours list

As mentioned the first game that matters is Norwich
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2019 06:48:09 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #127: Jul 20, 2019 07:05:04 pm
      Donā€™t believe anyone has said ā€œitā€™s a waste of timeā€

It is what it is - another pre season friendly and until recently thatā€™s all it was but the Mancs have tired to upgrade it and we appear to be following on with it - the year we won ā€œ5 trophiesā€ only 3 really counted and itā€™s those that get added to the honours list

As mentioned the first game that matters is Norwich

Technically 4 of the 5 are counted on the honours list on the wall at Melwood ;)

Simple question, no explanation needed. Would rather we won it or lost it?

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2019 07:11:20 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #128: Jul 20, 2019 07:25:27 pm
      Technically 4 of the 5 are counted on the honours list on the wall at Melwood ;)

Simple question, no explanation needed. Would rather we won it or lost it?

Would rather win every single game they play
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #129: Jul 20, 2019 07:27:06 pm
      Would rather win every single game they play

Well then :)
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #130: Jul 20, 2019 07:36:52 pm

Doesnā€™t change the point - the first game to worry about is the Norwich one  ;D ;)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #131: Jul 21, 2019 09:56:18 am

This 100%, its important for both reasons but especially to get an edge over City before the season starts, I wonder what kind of strike force we'll have available for this though
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #132: Jul 21, 2019 10:01:39 am
      Even though the charity shield and Supercup are not long or big competitions, in terms of number of teams, they are still very prestigious in my opinion and are a match between the very best, either within the premier league or all clubs in Europe.

To dismiss them is really silly and arrogant

I'm also very keen that we win the club world cup as it adds prestige and recognition that we are back amongst the elite.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #133: Jul 21, 2019 10:14:43 am
      I'm also very keen that we win the club world cup as it adds prestige and recognition that we are back amongst the elite.

I think the fact that we are in it as the Champions of Europe says we are amongst the Elite (back? Did we ever stop being?😎)
      I doubt however that beating teams like Monterrey HienghĆØne Sport and Al-Sadd are going to do much to enhance our reputation!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #134: Jul 21, 2019 11:24:38 am
      I think the fact that we are in it as the Champions of Europe says we are amongst the Elite (back? Did we ever stop being?😎)
      I doubt however that beating teams like Monterrey HienghĆØne Sport and Al-Sadd are going to do much to enhance our reputation!!

Oh we were away from Europe's high table for quite a long time, its only really the last 2-3 years we've been back. Obviously Champions League winner is bigger but without having won that you don't get to be in the club world cup, its that simple, it is therefore by definition prestigious.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #135: Jul 21, 2019 02:30:41 pm
      Bore off, you don't want to go into the season playing sh*t for christ sake. Pre-season or not we want to be playing well. If you don't care what the score is then why are you bothering with the topic?

To be fair, you're are trying a bit too hard!

It's pre-season, it's about about building up fitness and making sure younger players feeling comfortable playing with the big boys, which means making mistakes and hopefully learning from them. Winning every friendly 4 or 5 nil serves no purpose half the time.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #136: Jul 21, 2019 03:53:39 pm
      Even though the charity shield and Supercup are not long or big competitions, in terms of number of teams, they are still very prestigious in my opinion and are a match between the very best, either within the premier league or all clubs in Europe.

To dismiss them is really silly and arrogant

They are a friendly competition and itā€™s only the Mancs that have tried to boost their importance - and the club World Cup things add no extra recognition or prestige at all - it would be nice to win that but nothing more than that
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #137: Jul 21, 2019 03:56:39 pm
      They are a friendly competition and itā€™s only the Mancs that have tried to boost their importance - and the club World Cup things add no extra recognition or prestige at all - it would be nice to win that but nothing more than that

The Supercup between the CL winner and the Europa league winner is a friendly, are you sure???

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, BTW have you been in touch with the club to remove references to our Supercup wins?

The Club World Cup is a tiny bit mickey mouse but its still prestigious in my opinion, and I was pissed off when we didn't win it last time.

The charity shield is more or less a glorified friendly, on that I agree, BUT Pep takes it seriously and beating them puts down a marker for the season so I want to win that as well.

Quick Reply