Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Preseason friendlies in England, America

Read 48802 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Preseason friendlies in England, America
      Jun 27, 2019 03:50:15 pm
      I know a number of our first team players are on still on international duty this summer. With our preseason training just 9 days away, help me out together a squad for the july 11 and 14 friendlies in England and the American tour the 19th through the 25th. Jürgen probably wants 25 players so who does he include

I'll start with Mignolet and Kelleher as goalkeepers, maybe Grabara as well. What about defenders, midfielders and forwards? I wonder if some of our repeat loan players will stay with squad for a bit just to fill out the numbers.
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2019 12:17:39 pm by JD »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Preseason squad for friendlies in England, America.
      Reply #1: Jun 27, 2019 04:40:58 pm
      I've got 30 names so far but not sure when each player will report.

I expect Bobby, Allison, Mo, Sadio and maybe Naby to miss preseason through the matches in America, so they aren't in my 30.

Anyone else up for some.squad predictions or this too geeky for everyone?
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019 09:44:49 pm by Robby The Z »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #2: Jun 27, 2019 05:58:14 pm
      Far to nerdy mate! In the words of Stiff little Fingers just wait and see.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Jun 27, 2019 09:46:21 pm
      Far to nerdy mate! In the words of Stiff little Fingers just wait and see.

You have crushed my dreams of thread-starting, niche anorak punditry forever, you cruel, cruel man.

Back to my box of dirt until sunrise!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Jun 27, 2019 11:41:35 pm
      Due to overwhelming demand, I'm sharing my list with everyone.

I think all of these will be available for the friendlies from July 11 through July 25 and thus will probably travel to America:

Goalkeepers: (3) Mignolet, Kelleher, Grabara

Defenders (12):
      RB - Trent, Clyne, Hoever
      CB - Virgil, Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Phillips, Van den Berg
      LB - Robbo, Lewis, Larouci

Midfielders (9): Fabinho, Gini, Milner, Henderson, Ox, Grujic*, Lallana, Jones, Woodburn*

Forwards (6): Origi, Brewster, Shaquiri, Wilson, Glatzel, Duncan

* - if he's not transferred or loaned by then.

Returning by July 28 in Edinburgh vs. Napoli should be Allison, Keita, Mane, Salah, Firmino, with some of the kids dropping off.

There's also a few players who should go out on loan but might play especially in the first two matches as they build fitness - like Ejaria and Kent.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Jun 27, 2019 11:56:12 pm
      Yes there will be some that need some sort of a break. In the old days most clocked off early in May and didn't report back untill mid July but now with all the commitments and international demands they have a couple of weeks.

These demands can effect players outlook. So much pressure to maintain form. In Klopp we have a manager that understands the pressure but I would like to see 2/3 fresh faces. The boss needs more options up front.

The FA cup and the League cup should definitely be way down the pecking order.I know they are but this time it has to be fact.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2019 10:49:56 am
      Would like to see Lewis get a few games at left back given Robbo should be allowed a bit extra recovery after playing so many games last season & having a hamstring issue lately.

Would also like to see Hoever given minutes in the two games before America and maybe some over there.

The player I'm most looking forward to though is Harry Wilson. I really want him here next season and he needs a good pre season I think to convince Klopp to keep him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2019 12:43:12 pm
      Would like to see Lewis get a few games at left back given Robbo should be allowed a bit extra recovery after playing so many games last season & having a hamstring issue lately.

Would also like to see Hoever given minutes in the two games before America and maybe some over there.

The player I'm most looking forward to though is Harry Wilson. I really want him here next season and he needs a good pre season I think to convince Klopp to keep him.
      sounds like Harry will have that chance.

We have one of the very few top club managers whose mentality is develop first and transfer second. There's a place for both but so many managers just want to know how much money they can spend. it's exceptional at this strata for Jürgen to give opportunities, but he does. Not everyone ei make it, but he gives them a chance.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2019 01:48:07 pm
      Apparently the brick wall is being rebuilt and those wanting a Career at Liverpool have one option run through it or go elsewhere.
      Looking forward to seeing some of the young lads who will have a chance to catch Jürgen's eye and they can do that by just giving everything they can for the team .
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #9: Jun 30, 2019 05:33:45 am

And Grujic
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2019 09:15:14 am
      Goalkeepers: Mignolet, Kelleher, Grabara

Defenders:
      RB - Trent, Gomez, Clyne,
      CB - Virgil, Matip, Lovren, Van den Berg, Hoever, Phillips
      LB - Robbo, Lewis

Midfielders: Fabinho, Gini, Milner, Henderson, AOC, Grujic, Lallana, Jones, Woodburn

Forwards: Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri, Wilson, Glatzel, Duncan

Mixture of these. Klopp will mix them for sure.

NB: Team no longer available

NB: Team no longer available
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Jul 01, 2019 03:18:00 pm
      Grujic gone before preseason.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2019 09:20:06 am
      Pre-season training commences this Saturday (6th July).

Liverpool are giving all the players involved in international tournaments 3 weeks off from when they finish.

So Alisson and Firmino will be back about the 28th/29th July so will join up during the French/Swiss training camp and might be involved in the Community Shield.

It's possible both Senegal and Egypt could not meet until the final of AFCON which is 19th July.  If that does happen then can't see Salah or Sadio being involved in either the first Premier League game or the UEFA Super Cup Final.   :-\
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Jul 05, 2019 03:20:25 pm
      Beep tests tomorrow!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Jul 05, 2019 06:35:43 pm

16 players set to begin Liverpool pre-season on Saturday
      Arroyo, Brewster, Clyne, Fabinho, Gomez, Kent, Hoever, Jones, Lallana, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Van den Berg, Wilson, Woodburn.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/355344-16-players-set-to-begin-liverpool-pre-season-on-saturday

Milner or Lallana to win it!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Jul 06, 2019 01:56:47 am
      16 players set to begin Liverpool pre-season on Saturday
      Arroyo, Brewster, Clyne, Fabinho, Gomez, Kent, Hoever, Jones, Lallana, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Van den Berg, Wilson, Woodburn.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/355344-16-players-set-to-begin-liverpool-pre-season-on-saturday

Milner or Lallana to win it!

Has to be Milner.

By the way, this squad will be augmented for the friendlies by the U23s.

What is the rule with Anderson Arroyo for a friendly match. Does he have to have a work permit before he can play in a friendly? Interested in seeing what he looks like at left back.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #16: Jul 06, 2019 03:45:31 pm
      Has to be Milner.

By the way, this squad will be augmented for the friendlies by the U23s.

What is the rule with Anderson Arroyo for a friendly match. Does he have to have a work permit before he can play in a friendly? Interested in seeing what he looks like at left back.

u-23 team has a game on July 15th against The Spartans fc,dunno how that's gonna play into line-ups? Any bets on who calls out first with minor injury.Lallana,Woodburn gotta be best odds!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #17: Jul 06, 2019 04:32:45 pm
      Computer says Kelleher out wrist injury,dunno if Jaros steps up?Shamal George looks likely away and Grabera isn't available from the euro u-21 tourny.Ha ha where is  Bogdan when ya need him!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Jul 06, 2019 04:39:53 pm
      Computer says Kelleher out wrist injury,dunno if Jaros steps up?Shamal George looks likely away and Grabera isn't available from the euro u-21 tourny.Ha ha where is  Bogdan when ya need him!!

Re the injury, did he break it over the summer working in the garden? If it is an injury from last season he should have had something done earlier than this.

Sign Jerzy Dudek for these two matches! Or maybe Sander Westerveld!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Jul 08, 2019 01:29:29 am
      The players had the footballs out today, just the 2nd day of preseason. Things have changed.

LFC put out a video showing players doing a couple types of possession drills, obviously looking to build sharpness. On one of them I noticed a goalkeeper working in the background with a coach and was wondering who it is. I suppose the U23s are training at Melwood, perhaps at the same time as there are enough pitches. There was a photo in the gallery of someone wearing goalkeeper gloves so maybe that is a preview of who will play in goal on Thursday. I didn't recognize him. Looked too young to be a coach.

Edit: Just looked at the Academy goalkeeper pics and it looks to be a lad  named Winterbottom who is 17, signed from Blackburn Rovers in the spring. We have five Academy goalkeepers listed on the official web site so, no shortage of somebody to fill in on Thursday.

Anderson Arroyo looks to have very good technique. I'll repeat the question I asked here or somewhere else. Can he play in a friendly if he doesn't have a work permit? I mean, he's training and getting paid now, but is a non-competitive match considered to be some threshold in the legalities re that?

Origi and Shaqiri report Monday morning, but Shaq has an injury. That leaves five spots open for the friendly (2 goalkeepers, a left back and two forwards) if Klopp goes with the previous 45-minute runs out in early preseason. Another edit: If Origi is back shouldn't Simon Mignolet be reporting back as well?
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2019 02:06:21 am by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #20: Jul 08, 2019 06:25:54 pm
      Lovren due back this week. Today's training video shows a number of U23s joining the squad in advance if the friendly (and prob for 11v11 training drills), plus two goalkeepers

Some of this year's haircuts don't match last year's pics, but I definitely saw/heard Ovie Ejaria, Yasser Larouci and Edvard Tagseth in the group . I think Jarod was one of the goalkeepers.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #21: Jul 08, 2019 07:27:43 pm

I really really really liked what I saw in the 17/18 season, but never really followed up with his progress last season. Glad he is training with the first team in pre-season!
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #22: Jul 09, 2019 01:31:53 pm
      Shaqiri still injured then... remember him picking it up in the 3rd place game v England and it didn’t look good.

Quick Reply