Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Preseason friendlies in England, America

Read 49340 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Preseason friendlies in England, America
      Reply #322: Jul 29, 2019 09:27:43 am
      It is better to lose pre season games that have no value (other than a training exercise) than lose important games once the season officially kicks off.I still believe in Jurgens REDS and they will soon have us singing Y.N.W.A. once again.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #323: Jul 29, 2019 09:40:02 am
      I tell you what some of our young lads are going to make a big impact this season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #324: Jul 29, 2019 09:52:37 am
      We were disjointed because our first team players have barely player together since the CL final and we were missing our entire starting forward line.

And why would you fear a thrashing by City when have they ever thrashed us??

but do you think the Napoli players have played more together since their break, consider that their season doesn't even start before the 24th August, surely they've been in preseason less time than us, yet look tighter, that is a worry.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #325: Jul 29, 2019 09:57:03 am
      I tell you what some of our young lads are going to make a big impact this season.

Yes I think they could if given opportunities, for example I would much rather see the likes of Wilson, Brewster, Kent etc given minutes rather than Origi. I have nothing against Origi and his goals last season were special but he just isn't good enough for us. Klopp has to be braver this season in rotating other forward players into the team, because if they are always sat on the bench then of course they will be a bit sh*t when they eventually get a few minutes at the end of a game.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #326: Jul 29, 2019 10:02:52 am
      Couldn't give a monkey's about the friendlies (haven't watched one of them) nor the community shield. And I'd bet the players don't care either. Perhaps they feel a little more concerned about the community shield - and only because that's against City.

Find it curious how when the team and the players play well in the preseason, they are highly rated and excitement builds, but when they play badly, it doesn't matter.

I'm glad the players don't have the attitude that it means nothing. You don't lose 3-0 to Napoli and pretend it means nothing!

It wasn't good enough,ā€ Robertson said. ā€œWe were miles off it. We were outplayed. At times we looked foolish by not pressing as a team. We need to be a hell of a lot better than this.

ā€œJordan Henderson and James Milner pulled us in for a huddle on the pitch and what was said cannot be repeated until after 9pm. It's not crisis meetings, it's pre-season.

ā€œBut we can't get into a habit of losing or drawing. We need to step it up massively.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #327: Jul 29, 2019 10:06:04 am
      Find it curious how when the team and the players play well in the preseason, they are highly rated and excitement builds, but when they play badly, it doesn't matter.

I'm glad the players don't have the attitude that it means nothing. You don't lose 3-0 to Napoli and pretend it means nothing!

Seems the players and manager care more about preseason than some of our fans, interesting.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #328: Jul 29, 2019 11:59:44 am
      Great day out yesterday, result doesn't matter 1 bit, still missing half a team ffs due to internationals & injuries.

Fanzone was highlight, which says it all really about the actual footi. ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #329: Jul 29, 2019 12:11:24 pm
      Carlo knows.
      https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1155540441917513728?s=19

Disappointed by the results, but not arsed, no points dropped, and still in all cup competions, so I guess all good.

Important to remember, last season was a long and intense to the end, then some of our top players then went on to important games for their countries.

If you are saying we need to buy, what does that say about the squad that were one goal away from winning the EPL, and getting number 6?

What type of player would we get for Ā£50m? When Maguire is being touted for Ā£75m, and Pogba for god knows what.

Personally I'm still enjoying and reliving the CL final.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #330: Jul 29, 2019 12:32:57 pm
      Yes I think they could if given opportunities, for example I would much rather see the likes of Wilson, Brewster, Kent etc given minutes rather than Origi. I have nothing against Origi and his goals last season were special but he just isn't good enough for us. Klopp has to be braver this season in rotating other forward players into the team, because if they are always sat on the bench then of course they will be a bit sh*t when they eventually get a few minutes at the end of a game.

I think Kent will be sold but expect Brewster, Wilson, Woodburn, Sepp, Hoever, Laouruci and Elliot to get game time if they are not loaned out.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #331: Jul 29, 2019 12:35:55 pm
      I think Kent will be sold but expect Brewster, Wilson, Woodburn, Sepp, Hoever, Laouruci and Elliot to get game time if they are not loaned out.

Id much rather keep Kent than Woodburn, the others all look promising.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #332: Jul 29, 2019 04:10:16 pm
      Id much rather keep Kent than Woodburn, the others all look promising.

Pretty sure Kent's "illness" is Transferitis. Expect something on him leaving fairly soon.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #333: Jul 29, 2019 04:12:28 pm
      Carlo knows.
      https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1155540441917513728?s=19

Disappointed by the results, but not arsed, no points dropped, and still in all cup competions, so I guess all good.

Important to remember, last season was a long and intense to the end, then some of our top players then went on to important games for their countries.

If you are saying we need to buy, what does that say about the squad that were one goal away from winning the EPL, and getting number 6?

What type of player would we get for Ā£50m? When Maguire is being touted for Ā£75m, and Pogba for god knows what.

Personally I'm still enjoying and reliving the CL final.

Weā€™re good RP, No Salah,Keita,Mane,Bobby,Alllison pre season...first trophy of the season in the cabinet this Sunday, then beat Norwich & then lift the club World Cup all is good..I think we will strengthen in Jan to see us over the line to pick up the league title..

Canā€™t wait for kick off Sunday..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #334: Jul 29, 2019 04:13:54 pm
      Klopp mention in morning presser that training has gone well, so far, but that the games haven't come at a good time. I translate that as too many  games in a short period, attached to the relatively short close season and the staggered return dates .

I think that is what we are seeing in these matches this far.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #335: Jul 29, 2019 05:52:12 pm
      Seems the players and manager care more about preseason than some of our fans, interesting.

For as long as I've been going the game, the majority of match-going fans have never give a F**k about pre-season. Those that go it's more about having a bevvy in the sun and catching up with your mates after the summer break.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #336: Jul 29, 2019 10:16:50 pm
      For as long as I've been going the game, the majority of match-going fans have never give a f**k about pre-season. Those that go it's more about having a bevvy in the sun and catching up with your mates after the summer break.

There was definitely a feel good vibe about last year though. When we were beating United, City and thumping 5 past Napoli in pre-season last year there was a lot of positive talk about how we are looking good and sharp and couldnā€™t wait for the season to start in the same vein.

Itā€™s perfectly understandable how some people happily write off pre-season and I havenā€™t got a problem with that at all, but a lot of the people who are writing it off as just pre-season and how itā€™s irrelevant are the same ones that were saying last year about how good we look.

BUT, in the grand scheme of things youā€™re right, canā€™t read too much into our current pre-season form, the time to worry is if we carry it on into the season, which if we do then we deal with it then.

For me personally, I think Iā€™ve been looking a lot into our performances because Iā€™m still haunted by the way we went so far backwards when we finished 2nd the last couple of times, Iā€™m sure we were getting turned over in pre-season then.

All forgotten though when we start smashing everyone in front of us again.

Actually, I canā€™t remember a pre-season thatā€™s been as brutal as this. Itā€™s not the conditions or anything like that, just that it seems every game we have played so far the tackles have been flying in late and reckless on our lads. A miracle only one player has come away from a game injured from a foul.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #337: Jul 29, 2019 10:43:05 pm
      There was definitely a feel good vibe about last year though. When we were beating United, City and thumping 5 past Napoli in pre-season last year there was a lot of positive talk about how we are looking good and sharp and couldnā€™t wait for the season to start in the same vein.

Itā€™s perfectly understandable how some people happily write off pre-season and I havenā€™t got a problem with that at all, but a lot of the people who are writing it off as just pre-season and how itā€™s irrelevant are the same ones that were saying last year about how good we look.

BUT, in the grand scheme of things youā€™re right, canā€™t read too much into our current pre-season form, the time to worry is if we carry it on into the season, which if we do then we deal with it then.

For me personally, I think Iā€™ve been looking a lot into our performances because Iā€™m still haunted by the way we went so far backwards when we finished 2nd the last couple of times, Iā€™m sure we were getting turned over in pre-season then.

All forgotten though when we start smashing everyone in front of us again.

Actually, I canā€™t remember a pre-season thatā€™s been as brutal as this. Itā€™s not the conditions or anything like that, just that it seems every game we have played so far the tackles have been flying in late and reckless on our lads. A miracle only one player has come away from a game injured from a foul.

Think it's people wanting to prove themselves against the champions?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #338: Jul 30, 2019 03:54:31 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #339: Jul 30, 2019 04:15:25 pm

Now that has cheered me up, lets hope they aren't to rusty and can play a part against Citeh
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #340: Jul 30, 2019 11:09:06 pm
      Klopp mention in morning presser that training has gone well, so far, but that the games haven't come at a good time. I translate that as too many  games in a short period, attached to the relatively short close season and the staggered return dates .

I think that is what we are seeing in these matches this far.

Yes I picked up on that comment too ... itā€™s unlike Klopp as he is usually very corporate when it comes to public quotes!

The way preseason operates nowadays is basically 95% driven by commercial interests with the time in between matches all over the globe, and flying to those matches, being used to try and get the team physically ready for the new season.

It must be really frustrating for the coaches as it makes it hard for them to get sustained time with the players on the training ground - theyā€™re in one city for a few days and then they are back to the airport again for another long haul flight which makes conditioning work really difficult!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #341: Jul 30, 2019 11:44:12 pm
      Yes I picked up on that comment too ... itā€™s unlike Klopp as he is usually very corporate when it comes to public quotes!

The way preseason operates nowadays is basically 95% driven by commercial interests with the time in between matches all over the globe, and flying to those matches, being used to try and get the team physically ready for the new season.

It must be really frustrating for the coaches as it makes it hard for them to get sustained time with the players on the training ground - theyā€™re in one city for a few days and then they are back to the airport again for another long haul flight which makes conditioning work really difficult!

I think the conditioning is going as planned, it has just made the games a bit of a fifth wheel and thus the performances have been so-so. He also said they are already planning next preseason, so I don't think any of this has been a surprise to JĆ¼rgen and his staff. Only players missing through injury were impossible to know ahead of time, and that is basically two players. Our team will be ready to  go August 9.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #342: Jul 31, 2019 10:59:59 am
      I think the conditioning is going as planned, it has just made the games a bit of a fifth wheel and thus the performances have been so-so. He also said they are already planning next preseason, so I don't think any of this has been a surprise to JĆ¼rgen and his staff. Only players missing through injury were impossible to know ahead of time, and that is basically two players. Our team will be ready to  go August 9.

Itā€™s the same every year though dude and we normally win the majority of pre season games despite the extensive conditioning work going on behind the scenes. Also, letā€™s not forget the opposition are going through an identical process. Results arenā€™t the be all and end all but my growing unease will increase if we lose another one tonight. And before the thought police come in and spout about the meaningless of performances in pre season I canā€™t remember posters getting berated quite so much last pre season when we were turning everybody over. In fact, I recall those results gave people a huge dose of optimism which was funny because the results donā€™t mean squat.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #343: Jul 31, 2019 01:53:08 pm
      Itā€™s the same every year though dude and we normally win the majority of pre season games despite the extensive conditioning work going on behind the scenes. Also, letā€™s not forget the opposition are going through an identical process. Results arenā€™t the be all and end all but my growing unease will increase if we lose another one tonight. And before the thought police come in and spout about the meaningless of performances in pre season I canā€™t remember posters getting berated quite so much last pre season when we were turning everybody over. In fact, I recall those results gave people a huge dose of optimism which was funny because the results donā€™t mean squat.

For me it's performances over results, and no, I don't think we've had the same concentration of games combined with the timing of international events in the summer.

Also for me, it's no problem choosing to fret over our prospects, just so we don't discount every good thing that has happened and begin creating a poisonous atmosphere. a supporter can be worried without doing the poison part.

I'm fairly sure we will lose tonight as I think it is going to be mostly 2nd choice players. Not sure about Sunday, but i dont think we will be ready for action on thvs.e 9th vs.  Norwich
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #344: Jul 31, 2019 04:31:22 pm
      Apparently the famous five start today. Another only streaming  game in the USA.

Quick Reply