Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

City/Arsenal postponed

Read 3621 times
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Re: City/Arsenal postponed
      Reply #23: Mar 11, 2020 11:57:19 am
      It would be ridiculous to cancel the league, what happens to promotion and relegation from all the other leagues.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #24: Mar 11, 2020 12:54:07 pm
      The match was 13 days ago. Surely if he posed any sort of risk to any of the Arsenal team catching anything then he would have been diagnosed with it sooner than yesterday?

To me it seems like they’ve gone over the top cancelling this game. They say a 14 day incubation period but it’s been 13 days and from what I gather, nobody is showing any symptoms. No need to have cancelled it, at the absolute worst then surely they could have just moved it to Thursday?

He didn't show any symptoms until the last couple of days.

They postponed it, not cancelled it, as they needed to test the Arsenal players.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #25: Mar 11, 2020 12:55:01 pm
      It would be ridiculous to cancel the league, what happens to promotion and relegation from all the other leagues.

It would only be cancelled if the situation got extremely bad, I reckon we'll maybe see the last couple of weeks postponed at most.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26: Mar 11, 2020 01:09:28 pm
      It would only be cancelled if the situation got extremely bad, I reckon we'll maybe see the last couple of weeks postponed at most.

We're nowhere near the levels of Italy yet, so the postponing of City v Arsenal game is simply because Arsenal players have come into contact with with Forest's owner and as he's tested positive, this is preventative measures to avoid the spread of the virus.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #27: Mar 11, 2020 01:10:54 pm
      Bin the 2020 Euros off, and extend the leagues.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #28: Mar 11, 2020 01:12:14 pm

Good idea that, will make a mockery of everything if the Euro's goes ahead in it's current format all over Europe.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #29: Mar 11, 2020 01:17:15 pm

Sums UEFA up that this won't even be considered, only just read about Wolves asking for their Europa League game in Greece to be postponed and Uefa have turned that down.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #30: Mar 11, 2020 01:22:43 pm

If the situation continues to worsen I could see them being forced to do that, although my guess is warmer weather will help end the outbreak.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Mar 11, 2020 02:36:57 pm
      He didn't show any symptoms until the last couple of days.

They postponed it, not cancelled it, as they needed to test the Arsenal players.

Postponed/cancelled, you know what I meant, it’s obvious it’s not cancelled.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: Mar 11, 2020 03:31:40 pm
      Typically symptoms show within 5 days. Two weeks is the farthest range for symptoms to start showing.

But I think there is more of this to come. These are the kinds of reactions we'll be getting from even individual diagnoses, and you know there are going to be many more of these in the comings days and weeks.

Now if you want to contemplate worst case scenarios, the league and club managers will put heads together and make declarations. Perhaps the most logical would be that Liverpool are clearly champions of the 2019-20 Premier League season. None of the other 19 clubs should challenge that.

Prize money would likely be mitigated if the season is cut short. Fine by me.

For the sake of congruence, with issues related to Euro qualification, promotion and relegation, you might see some very different solutions, including mini-tournaments involving certain teams, perhaps playoff games involving home and away setups. Unprecedented things in league play but something that might be attempted given there are big questions to answer and in that worst case scenario, only a limited time frame (after some longish lockdown period) to answer them. 

European competitions might have to do the same thing, say a one-week tournament for the quarterfinals, semifinals and final, with all knockout games at a neutral venue and no home matches for anyone.

If thjs all sounds rather American, there is no question any solution after a long shutdown would be imperfect, but I think something like this would be attempted rather than just binning everything.

The one thing I'm absolutely sure of is that Liverpool are champions of English football in 2019-20 and nobody should even think of saying otherwise.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #33: Mar 12, 2020 10:55:26 pm

Quick Reply