Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Former Real Madrid & Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes announces retirement

Read 4228 times
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Former Real Madrid & Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes announces retirement
      Aug 31, 2010 05:42:58 pm
      Spanish international confirms he is hanging up his boot

Former Real Madrid and Valencia striker Fernando Morientes has confirmed his retirement from football after leaving Marseille.

The 34-year-old had spent the last year in Ligue 1 with the eventual French champions, but earlier this year they agreed to part company by mutual consent.

In a press conference back in his native Spain, the forward commented that he has received offers to remain in the game, but wanted to focus his attention on dedicating time to his family.

“After 17 years playing with the elite of football, I have had three months to rethink my future, and now I want to focus on my family," Morientes said.

“I have rejected offers from teams around the world, including teams in Mexico, Qatar, Dubai, and also in recent days from Sporting Lisbon.”

Morientes enjoyed eight years at the Santiago Bernabeu during the most successful spell of his career, and netted in the 2000 Champions League final.

Speaking of los Blancos’ chances of wrestling the title from rivals Barcelona, the former Spanish international hopes his former team can compete with the Catalan giants.

He said: “Although Barcelona are one step ahead and Real Madrid are a team under construction, they have a line-up of players who are able to compete with their eternal rivals. The project cannot be judged at the moment, but when the results start coming in.”

Morientes made 573 career appearances, scoring 204 goals in Spain, France and also during his spell in England with Liverpool.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2010/08/31/2096539/former-real-madrid-liverpool-striker-fernando-morientes
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: Former Real Madrid & Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes announces retirement
      Reply #1: Sep 01, 2010 10:54:48 am
      He was a flop at Liverpool but oh well, all the best.

I guess he will take up a coaching role?

Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Former Real Madrid & Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes announces retirement
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2010 11:10:53 am
      No surprise there, He's been winding down since 2005  :f_tongueincheek:
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2010 01:10:14 pm
      I thought he'd retired years ago - or was that just when he was playing for us ?
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #4: Sep 11, 2010 11:06:57 am
      Always liked Morientes. He may have been a flop at Liverpool but there was no doubting his ability and effort. Very good career he had but he probably should never have left Real Madrid.

Good luck to him though.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,188 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Sep 11, 2010 01:45:08 pm
      No surprise there, He's been winding down since 2005  :f_tongueincheek:
      Beat me to that
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Sep 11, 2010 05:10:16 pm
      Should retired a few years ago.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Sep 11, 2010 05:15:52 pm
      He was an amazing striker in his prime, unfortunately he wasn't a success in Liverpool but I wouldn't say he was that bad either.

Raul & Morientes is one of my favorite striker partnerships ever, I also remember when Morientes' Monaco beat Raul's Madrid in the UCL 03-04, it was a great moment.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3350 
      Reply #8: Jul 08, 2023 10:55:29 am
      Just seen a video on Instagram of him on the Spanish version of the masked singer

Quick Reply