Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

UEFA Champions League 2019-20

Read 56468 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: UEFA Champions League 2019-20
      Reply #161: Aug 13, 2020 09:50:58 pm
      Breaks my heart that we didn’t finish Atletico off, this competition would be ours

Tale of 2 keepers..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #162: Aug 13, 2020 09:53:30 pm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #163: Aug 13, 2020 09:54:02 pm

Can’t even think about it mate, I was still celebrating our goal in the other room and walked back in to that sh*t
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #164: Aug 13, 2020 10:00:33 pm
      ;D F**k off Atletico and Simeone you dirty cheating anti football cu*ts!
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #165: Aug 13, 2020 10:02:23 pm
      So one finalists between Leipzig and PSG, if PSG doesn't get to the final this year... Don't think they could've asked for better luck.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #166: Aug 13, 2020 10:03:49 pm
      Does make you think what if after watching that game but I guess every season there's one or two teams who are a bit unlucky in the CL and this year it was our turn.

Big shame that Felix is at Atleti - so much talent there but can't see being under Simeone working well for him to develop into one of the world's best.

That Leipzig centre half was boss as well - Upmaceno (sp?) I think.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #167: Aug 13, 2020 10:09:13 pm
      ha ha F**k off you fouling shithousing cu*ts!

Liked RBL's style. They are managed by Nagelsman, previously of Hoffenheim right? The coaching looks excellent, always quick passes, always looking to find space and imaginative ways to attack. Great organisation, only a lack of individual quality limits the potential of his teams.

When the day of doom arrives and Klopp eventually leaves, I think this guy would be the best thing for us.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #168: Aug 13, 2020 10:16:58 pm
      ha ha F**k off you fouling shithousing cu*ts!

Liked RBL's style. They are managed by Nagelsman, previously of Hoffenheim right? The coaching looks excellent, always quick passes, always looking to find space and imaginative ways to attack. Great organisation, only a lack of individual quality limits the potential of his teams.

When the day of doom arrives and Klopp eventually leaves, I think this guy would be the best thing for us.

As a coach, he seems to be incredible
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #169: Aug 13, 2020 10:18:47 pm
      Why did Leipzig let Werner go before they finished the CL?? Weird decision and might cost them.

I imagine it was more Werner's decision.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #170: Aug 13, 2020 10:21:06 pm
      F**k off Simeone.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #171: Aug 13, 2020 10:23:02 pm
      Timo Werner could have been playing in a semi final of the Champions League, instead he couldn’t wait to get the big money at the Chavs. There’s loyalty for you.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #172: Aug 13, 2020 10:25:20 pm
      Simeone Tactics bit him in the arse they had the upper hand when they got to 1-1 they should of carried on but Simeone puts a stop to that.

Someone is not the manager to take  Joao Felix to the next step in his development was a strange move gong to AM
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #173: Aug 14, 2020 01:49:58 am
      I don't mind an extremely defensive side. It might be bad on the eye and what you may call ''anti-futbol'' but its a legit tactic and good on you if you can grind enough wins that way to actually end up winning something.

What I dislike about this ATM team tho is the extreme shithousery that starts with the first whistle of the game and never stops until the game is over. We're talking shithousery that is beyond ridiculous. ATM players were falling at every touch of RBL players from the first minute and everywhere on the pitch. Lodi dove and made a meal of every touch he felt on his body in the first half. He was literally looking for fouls at the midway line with tons of space in front of him to run at.

I actually thought they were going to give ATM the penalty when Gulasci marginally touched the ATM player's foot in the first half. VAR was supposed to minimize the dives and all that shithousery but it apparently became a system where you verify if the player was touched enough by the opposition player to legitimize his dive or not.

Koulibaly's penalty also comes to mind. Koulibaly was legit going for the ball and Messi jumps right in between Koulibaly's foot and the ball when Koulibaly is already 3/4 of a way in on the kick. Is this really a penalty now? You run around putting your foot in front of the defender's foot while he's kicking the ball and just like that you've got a penalty? What was Koulibaly actually supposed to do to avoid this?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #174: Aug 14, 2020 06:46:37 am
      I don't mind an extremely defensive side. It might be bad on the eye and what you may call ''anti-futbol'' but its a legit tactic and good on you if you can grind enough wins that way to actually end up winning something.

What I dislike about this ATM team tho is the extreme shithousery that starts with the first whistle of the game and never stops until the game is over. We're talking shithousery that is beyond ridiculous. ATM players were falling at every touch of RBL players from the first minute and everywhere on the pitch. Lodi dove and made a meal of every touch he felt on his body in the first half. He was literally looking for fouls at the midway line with tons of space in front of him to run at.

I actually thought they were going to give ATM the penalty when Gulasci marginally touched the ATM player's foot in the first half. VAR was supposed to minimize the dives and all that shithousery but it apparently became a system where you verify if the player was touched enough by the opposition player to legitimize his dive or not.

Koulibaly's penalty also comes to mind. Koulibaly was legit going for the ball and Messi jumps right in between Koulibaly's foot and the ball when Koulibaly is already 3/4 of a way in on the kick. Is this really a penalty now? You run around putting your foot in front of the defender's foot while he's kicking the ball and just like that you've got a penalty? What was Koulibaly actually supposed to do to avoid this?

Agree with all of this except the Koulibaly bit, that was a foul. Like Mane winning the pen against Leicester - clever tricky players win free kicks in that way and you just can’t stop it
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #175: Aug 14, 2020 08:16:09 am

Nothing wrong with a team playing well organised super defensive if that's their only option but what baffles me with AM is that they have good attacking players and can play some good football if they choose. It's the shithouse tactics which makes me really hate them though.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #176: Aug 14, 2020 09:03:52 am
      Maybe his style of play doesn't suit the empty stadiums. That siege mentality / backs against the wall football probably won't have the same effect without fans behind you. And of course if you're playing a game which relies heavily on the dark arts and conning the ref, without supporters there jeering and screaming for every decision, the referee won't feel as pressured to make certain decisions.

That being said, last night was their first defeat since the restart, although they did have a pretty easy end to their La Liga season
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #177: Aug 14, 2020 01:04:16 pm
      Maybe his style of play doesn't suit the empty stadiums. That siege mentality / backs against the wall football probably won't have the same effect without fans behind you. And of course if you're playing a game which relies heavily on the dark arts and conning the ref, without supporters there jeering and screaming for every decision, the referee won't feel as pressured to make certain decisions.

That being said, last night was their first defeat since the restart, although they did have a pretty easy end to their La Liga season

I think at the international level their tactics are starting to precede them, just a shame we didn't have that Polish ref for our two legs with them, especially the away leg was a disgrace.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #178: Aug 14, 2020 01:06:57 pm
      Agree with all of this except the Koulibaly bit, that was a foul. Like Mane winning the pen against Leicester - clever tricky players win free kicks in that way and you just can’t stop it
      I 100% see where you are coming from and a lot of people will understandbly agree with you. However, I just find it hard to accept and understand that now that we have VAR and can clearly see that Koulibaly was already 3/4 of a way through the kicking movement for the ball when Messi puts his foot between his and the ball it is still a penalty. It's not a reckless action for Koulibaly to swing at a free ball, he can't do anything about Messi putting his foot from behind him.

That is a bit like a defender going for a long and obvious slide clearance on a ball going out for a corner with nobody near it and an attacker spots the slide and rushes to put himself in front of it to get the foul. Okay he was tackled without the ball but he put himself in there, the defender couldn't do anything about it and was clearly going for a free ball in a non-reckless way. I mean I get it's technically a foul but it leaves a very sour aftertaste in my mouth as a neutral and it would leave and even worse aftertaste in my mouth if it happened to us in an important game.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #179: Aug 14, 2020 01:22:35 pm

Exactly. I've read a couple of articles and listened to a couple of podcasts saying that the players are spending much less time on the floor after fair challenges and spend much less time arguing with the referees since the fanless restart because there is simply not enough pressure being put on the referee if there are no fans jeering and screaming. Definitely ATM style does not suit empty stadiums but their players are so well versed in the art of shithousery that they can still con the referee into a ton of free-kicks and fouls on little to no contact like yesterday.

They clearly wanted to score a scrappy one in the box from a free-kick and then just lock-it from there. That's why they were hitting on the ground on any touch. They just want half a decent position to cross the ball from into the box.

PS: what a player Upamecano is. Very good in the air, strong and smart. Once the ball is with him he almost transforms into a winger or something moving it upfield like its a breeze. He was piercing through that ATM midfield all night.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #180: Aug 14, 2020 03:08:28 pm
      Exactly. I've read a couple of articles and listened to a couple of podcasts saying that the players are spending much less time on the floor after fair challenges and spend much less time arguing with the referees since the fanless restart because there is simply not enough pressure being put on the referee if there are no fans jeering and screaming. Definitely ATM style does not suit empty stadiums but their players are so well versed in the art of shithousery that they can still con the referee into a ton of free-kicks and fouls on little to no contact like yesterday.

They clearly wanted to score a scrappy one in the box from a free-kick and then just lock-it from there. That's why they were hitting on the ground on any touch. They just want half a decent position to cross the ball from into the box.

PS: what a player Upamecano is. Very good in the air, strong and smart. Once the ball is with him he almost transforms into a winger or something moving it upfield like its a breeze. He was piercing through that ATM midfield all night.

Noticed a lack of theatrics myself, probably due to the players realizing that their ridiculous screams will now be picked up by the microphones and heard clearly on the TV!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #181: Aug 14, 2020 04:05:11 pm

Remember after they drew 2-2 with Barcelona away behind closed doors .and got 2 pens some of their players said that without a crowd they felt that they had to put more pressure on the ref
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #182: Aug 14, 2020 07:30:10 pm
      This competition needs an * for sure.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656