Trending Topics

Next match: Norwich v LFC [Premier League] Sat 14th Aug @ 3:00 pm
      Carrow Road

Today is the 19th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

UEFA Euro 2020

Read 14735 times
      chats, Gill95 and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,612 posts | 660 
      Re: UEFA Euro 2020
      Reply #100: Jun 09, 2021 12:46:34 pm

But like I say, what’s it matter to you anyway?

What's it matter to you that Liverpool fans from Liverpool support England?  :roll:
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 467 posts | 137 
      Reply #101: Jun 09, 2021 12:50:09 pm
      What's it matter to you that Liverpool fans from Liverpool support England?  :roll:

You live in the city?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,612 posts | 660 
      Reply #102: Jun 09, 2021 02:12:01 pm
      Of course not  ;D
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 467 posts | 137 
      Reply #103: Jun 09, 2021 02:34:01 pm

Ok then, obviously you can’t have the same judgement

No worries lad, but clearly a nothing debate
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,241 posts | 1286 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #104: Jun 09, 2021 03:17:38 pm
      Ok then, obviously you can’t have the same judgement

No worries lad, but clearly a nothing debate

Is it though?
      When you consider the population of Liverpool is less than one million  so guesstimate at least half are Livepool fans 500,000 + Your social media follows are over 90 million then the on paper it's the minority who don't follow England would be a fair assumption of Liverpool fans.

#justsayin
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 467 posts | 137 
      Reply #105: Jun 09, 2021 04:49:18 pm
      Is it though?
      When you consider the population of Liverpool is less than one million  so guesstimate at least half are Livepool fans 500,000 + Your social media follows are over 90 million then the on paper it's the minority who don't follow England would be a fair assumption of Liverpool fans.

#justsayin

Where have I said the whole of the Liverpool fan base? Can't you read?

#thickcunt
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,905 posts | 4287 
      Reply #106: Jun 09, 2021 05:00:59 pm
      Is it though?

#justsayin

I suppose a large majority of that 90 million aren't in England either...so why in the hell would any of them support England?

Good lord this is a ridiculous debate going on. I'm a Yank b***ard and even I know why Scousers don't support England. It's not that hard.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,241 posts | 1286 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #107: Jun 09, 2021 05:59:25 pm
      Where have I said the whole of the Liverpool fan base? Can't you read?

#thickcunt

# :lmao:
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 658 posts | 523 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #108: Jun 09, 2021 09:15:16 pm
      Hey don't look at me mate it's bully boy doing all the moaning. He's been moaning at me being on here for years, I've just left him to it until recently.

If he doesn't like the forum rules he can always fcuk off.

Absolutely disgraceful, I think you need to remember one thing and that you are on a Liverpool football club forum and not a manc one.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,241 posts | 1286 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #109: Jun 09, 2021 10:01:48 pm
      Absolutely disgraceful, I think you need to remember one thing and that you are on a Liverpool football club forum and not a manc one.

No excuse for bullying tactics regardless what forum your on.
      verde-rubro
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 122 
      Reply #110: Jun 10, 2021 09:56:36 am
      UEFA and FIFA should be praised for opening up competitions to more teams, so that more countries get a chance to compete and win. Compare that to the ESL, which aimed to turn the European Cup into a closed shop. The Euros this year will be a great experience for the nations of Finland and Macedonia, as it's all new to them. Greece went from bottom of the qualifying table who never won a tournament game, to EC winners in 10 years. While Croatia reached the semi finals in their first World Cup. I don't think they criticised the decision to increase the tournament that year. 4 years later, Turkey and South Korea were semi finalists. Australia would never qualify before, now they are one of the first qualifiers for every WC. Everyone has to start somewhere.

In the Euros now, every group game has something on it. Before the last expansion, the same countries qualified every time. There were a lot of dead rubbers in the last group game. Now even if you draw/lose your first 2, you can still get a third spot and a possible qualification spot in your last game. Sure, not every game will be a classic, but that's the case in any tournament. But it's definitely better to be one of the later groups to finish, as you know where you stand and who your next round opponent is, sooner than those in the earlier groups, where you could be waiting around up to 3 days after your last game to find out who and where you'll be playing, or if you'll be playing in the second round at all.
      This
      spot on
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,884 posts | 376 
      Reply #111: Jun 10, 2021 11:13:58 am
      Living in Rhyl North Wales, I am realistic enough to realise, the national team Wales have even less chance than England of winning the competition
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,128 posts | 501 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #112: Jun 10, 2021 11:26:30 am
      UEFA and FIFA should be praised for opening up competitions to more teams, so that more countries get a chance to compete and win. Compare that to the ESL, which aimed to turn the European Cup into a closed shop. The Euros this year will be a great experience for the nations of Finland and Macedonia, as it's all new to them. Greece went from bottom of the qualifying table who never won a tournament game, to EC winners in 10 years. While Croatia reached the semi finals in their first World Cup. I don't think they criticised the decision to increase the tournament that year. 4 years later, Turkey and South Korea were semi finalists. Australia would never qualify before, now they are one of the first qualifiers for every WC. Everyone has to start somewhere.

In the Euros now, every group game has something on it. Before the last expansion, the same countries qualified every time. There were a lot of dead rubbers in the last group game. Now even if you draw/lose your first 2, you can still get a third spot and a possible qualification spot in your last game. Sure, not every game will be a classic, but that's the case in any tournament. But it's definitely better to be one of the later groups to finish, as you know where you stand and who your next round opponent is, sooner than those in the earlier groups, where you could be waiting around up to 3 days after your last game to find out who and where you'll be playing, or if you'll be playing in the second round at all.

correct
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 513 posts | 276 
      Reply #113: Jun 10, 2021 10:58:22 pm
      Thoughts from anyone reading about Euro 2004.

I read an article on ESPN recently (think it was written a while back) that discussed Greece's remarkable victory at Euro 2004. Inevitably it discussed the anti football/ultra defensive style of the Greeks but I was surprised to read that it was 'dismissed as one of the worst tournaments in the modern era'. Surely not? Just because the Greeks won it in that fashion? To my mind, I couldn't remember enjoying a tournament more. I recall the Czech's playing some superb stuff. They of course engaged in an incredible match with the Dutch in the group stages. Even England, who bored us to death in World Cup 2006 just two years later, were pulling out the stops. (Probably undone by Sven's complete inability to field the best team as opposed to the best eleven players). I thought their matches against France, Croatia and Portugal were absolutely thrilling! And as for Portugal? I thought they were great - they really turned up with some star performers - Maniche! And they had Luis Figo of course who if I recall had a bit of a tough time until a masterclass semi final. If there's one injustice from that final against Greece is that such a fine player like Figo never got the winners medal in a major international tournament that he so richly deserved. F**k ESPN - Euro 2004 was the best tournament of my lifetime.

Anyhow, here's Larsson's diving header against Bulgaria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8FTDH4AAmo

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 513 posts | 276 
      Reply #114: Jun 10, 2021 11:10:06 pm
      There are too many teams in the Euros these days. Remember Portugal won the last one after drawing 3 group stage games and somehow qualifying in 3rd. It's a bit of a joke. They managed to win it all with one single win within 90 minutes of football.

I used to think of the Euros as that great competition where the level was really high with very few poor matches but can't say that looks like it anymore

Exactly. It was better than the World Cup in my opinion. But Euro 2016 was probably the worst tournament I've watched quality wise. No offence, but when three of the four UK nations can get to a tournament then you know something's a bit off.

But if a handful of teams can turn up maybe that will be good. I'm backing Italy for this one.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,800 posts | 1523 
      Reply #115: Jun 10, 2021 11:24:49 pm
      Exactly. It was better than the World Cup in my opinion. But Euro 2016 was probably the worst tournament I've watched quality wise. No offence, but when three of the four UK nations can get to a tournament then you know something's a bit off.

But if a handful of teams can turn up maybe that will be good. I'm backing Italy for this one.

A format where you can qualify for the knockouts without winning a game just isn't fit for purpose really.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,042 posts | 2596 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #116: Jun 11, 2021 01:10:49 am
      Compare that to the ESL, which aimed to turn the European Cup into a closed shop.

This comparison makes no sense. The Euros are the pinnacle of European football, you need to earn your place in it, as you do in the Champions League for club football. Completely different to creating a closed shop competition.

In the Euros now, every group game has something on it.

And also a lot of convenient draws, with the champions drawing 6 out of 7 games in regular time. It shouldn't be possible to win a competition if you can hardly win a game, this format makes a mockery of the group stage.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,755 posts | 1043 
      Reply #117: Jun 11, 2021 07:11:04 am

It’s sh*te

Made a mockery of what used to be a great competition

They changed it in typical UEFA style to get more money
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,128 posts | 501 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #118: Jun 11, 2021 07:17:56 am
      Well Im glad Euros have been expanded, and Im over the moon scotland qualified through the new nations league.

So well done Eufa.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,042 posts | 2596 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #119: Jun 11, 2021 12:14:49 pm
      I am sure the fans of the Lincoln Red Imps would also be happy if they qualified to the Champions League group stage but that would hardly mean it would be a better competition for it.

I think if you are going to allow more teams into it, then at the very least you need to figure out a better system.

A team that draws three games in group stage shouldn't be able to qualify. That is not to say Portugal did not deserve their title - as long as the rules are the same for everyone, I think the final result is always fair -, the problem I have with it is that it makes the bulk of the competition largely irrelevant by making a mockery of the group stage.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,828 posts | 2944 
      Reply #120: Jun 11, 2021 12:37:50 pm
      There are too many teams in the Euros these days. Remember Portugal won the last one after drawing 3 group stage games and somehow qualifying in 3rd. It's a bit of a joke. They managed to win it all with one single win within 90 minutes of football.

I used to think of the Euros as that great competition where the level was really high with very few poor matches but can't say that looks like it anymore

Yep four groups of four is the sweet spot for me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 513 posts | 276 
      Reply #121: Jun 11, 2021 12:59:31 pm
      I am sure the fans of the Lincoln Red Imps would also be happy if they qualified to the Champions League group stage but that would hardly mean it would be a better competition for it.

I think if you are going to allow more teams into it, then at the very least you need to figure out a better system.

A team that draws three games in group stage shouldn't be able to qualify. That is not to say Portugal did not deserve their title - as long as the rules are the same for everyone, I think the final result is always fair -, the problem I have with it is that it makes the bulk of the competition largely irrelevant by making a mockery of the group stage.

Exactly.

It's a real shame. I think that run of tournaments from Euro 2000 to Euro 2008 was phenomenal. Euro 2012 was an enjoyable tournament as well I thought. Why wreck such a perfect setup. As Si said, it hit the sweet spot.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,208 posts | 635 
      Reply #122: Jun 11, 2021 03:10:01 pm
      Quote from Diego LFC
      This comparison makes no sense. The Euros are the pinnacle of European football, you need to earn your place in it, as you do in the Champions League for club football. Completely different to creating a closed shop competition.

And also a lot of convenient draws, with the champions drawing 6 out of 7 games in regular time. It shouldn't be possible to win a competition if you can hardly win a game, this format makes a mockery of the group stage.

Exactly the thinking behind the ESL. "How dare there be any new teams in the best club competition in Europe?" Whoever qualifies for the group stage has done so on merit, and  have earned the right to make their own contribution to the competition.

You do what you need to do to win it. Until we won in Madrid, we hadn't won any competition without penalties since 2003. Did you complain about that?

Portugal scraped into the knockout round last time after a 3-3 rollercoaster. Trying to get through a group with 3 draws is extremely risky, and depends a lot on the results in other groups, something you have no control over. England have won the very impressive total of 0 knockout games in the tournament since 1980. (They won 1 on penalties 25 years ago, lost the rest) They still think they have won every tournament before the next one is played, as they do this one. Then the football starts.

You earn your place in the Euros, as you have to play 8-10 qualifiers over the past 2 years, and playoffs. For the biggest countries qualifying is easy, but for most countries it's always a struggle. It's the hardest international tournament of all to win, and as it has expanded, it's only got more difficult to win, and so England have never won it at all.

Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly

They're not UK nations to UEFA. They're individual nations in their own right. In that context, England v Scotland is the same as Belgium v Holland Spain v Portugal France v Germany Poland v Slovakia etc.

When you have to find 16 teams to qualify from 24 in this format, there's no alternative but to allow 3rd place teams to qualify with the 12 others. Instead of diluting the quality of the tournament, it means every group game has something at stake. The same number of teams will not make the knockout rounds in this format, as in the last format.

If you want to see a joke format, look at the Copa America, with free entry for every team and just 2 groups of 5 in the group stage. Only the bottom team from each group won't make the knockout rounds. You could probably name both of them before it even begins.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,828 posts | 2944 
      Reply #123: Jun 11, 2021 04:07:16 pm
      Who we all going for then?

I've always been an Italy fan, I think since Italia 90, so it's the Azzurri for me.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,547 posts | 3972 
      Reply #124: Jun 11, 2021 04:09:44 pm
      Who we all going for then?

I've always been an Italy fan, I think since Italia 90, so it's the Azzurri for me.

What they on a 22 unbeaten run, could be ones to look out for this tournament.

Quick Reply