Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager (Part 2)

Read 447720 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager (Part 2)
      Reply #2852: Jul 05, 2022 09:03:52 pm
      Great manager my only reservation is the size of squad, far to small in depth to challenge in all the competitions we do, run out of steam again last season many players surfing fatigue could have rested Robbo more than he did, and we never beat any of the top three in games home and away, Spurs, Chelsea and City had we beat one of them we won the League, both cups we won were on penalties, fine margins but are we going to make the same mistake with what looks like a no bigger or smaller squad than last year….. I hope not
      Did we run out of steam? Seems a strange thing to say. We missed out on the league by 1 point and at no point in the run in were we top. If anything we gained momentum as the season went on and made up a lot of ground on City. We won our last game, they won their last game and that was the story.

Champions League Final we weren’t at our best and lost narrowly to a very experienced side. Not at our best but still their keeper was man of the match and I honestly still can’t understand how we didn’t score.

So going in to this season we have lost some players and brought in some others.

Out

Mane
      Minamino
      Origi

In

Nunez
      Carvahlo
      Ramsay

Mane is a big loss but confident in the lads who have come in. Still time and honestly expect we might bring someone else in, particularly if we are getting a decent fee for Neco Williams. Midfield is the one area I’d like to see us strengthen given the injury record of our current players.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 523 
      Reply #2853: Jul 05, 2022 11:45:34 pm
      Did we run out of steam? Seems a strange thing to say. We missed out on the league by 1 point and at no point in the run in were we top. If anything we gained momentum as the season went on and made up a lot of ground on City. We won our last game, they won their last game and that was the story.

Champions League Final we weren’t at our best and lost narrowly to a very experienced side. Not at our best but still their keeper was man of the match and I honestly still can’t understand how we didn’t score.

So going in to this season we have lost some players and brought in some others.

Out

Mane
      Minamino
      Origi

In

Nunez
      Carvahlo
      Ramsay

Mane is a big loss but confident in the lads who have come in. Still time and honestly expect we might bring someone else in, particularly if we are getting a decent fee for Neco Williams. Midfield is the one area I’d like to see us strengthen given the injury record of our current players.

Yeah, I don't think the squad is too small either.

Last season we put a bit more emphasis on the domestic cups, playing generally more "first choice" players, and won them both. Having won them, next season Jürgen can go back to playing the kids more in them, if he feels he needs to. But he may not even need to. As you say, we went very close in both the league and CL despite so many games in the cups, and we still finished the season strongly, so the depth looks ok to me.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2854: Jul 06, 2022 02:04:49 pm
      maybe winning the two domestic trophies  means the pressure for silverware is off this season and we can go for the EPL now and play youth in the Cups.The big  obstacle is the WC who knows how that will f**k things up

Nail hit & head mate, I would seriously doubt Jürgen would jeopardise the title push or the CL campaign again this season, we went for it last season simply because we could, it’s not the case this time round, cos we won them, and inadvertently will have put them on the back burner for a while, now before anyone moans we should take every competition we enter seriously, we will, albeit will probably use a few bin lids in early rounds and see how far they can take us,
      If we were to reach the latter stages then it’s likely we’ll see less kids the further we progress, but like you Walt mate I want us focussed in winning No’s 20 & 7 and less so with the domestic sh*t !!

Y  N  W  A
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2855: Jul 06, 2022 02:13:35 pm
      Not sure how anyone can say the squad is too small when we reached the finals of every competition we played in and lost the league by 1 point while having 8 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 league games. Madness.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #2856: Jul 06, 2022 05:27:26 pm
      Never a fan of comparing managers. They all had their way of doing the job. Rafa will always have my respect regardless of what Jürgen or anybody else does for us.

I always forget who scored and who missed in '05  the shoot out pens..and have to look it up..

Hamann,Cisse and Smicer scored..Riise missed..3

Tomasson, Kaka scored..Serginho, Pirlo..and Shevchenko missed their 5th pen..2

but was Stevie hoping Shevchenko would score so he could step and get all the glory..maybe not..

Don't think Steven had option, think the pen takers were pre-planned, hence Alonso taking the pen in the 2nd half.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2857: Jul 06, 2022 09:10:30 pm

Nail hit & head mate, I would seriously doubt Jürgen would jeopardise the title push or the CL campaign again this season, we went for it last season simply because we could, it’s not the case this time round, cos we won them, and inadvertently will have put them on the back burner for a while, now before anyone moans we should take every competition we enter seriously, we will, albeit will probably use a few bin lids in early rounds and see how far they can take us,
      If we were to reach the latter stages then it’s likely we’ll see less kids the further we progress, but like you Walt mate I want us focussed in winning No’s 20 & 7 and less so with the domestic sh*t !!

Y  N  W  A

What do we know? Klopp has a way of have an extra Ace in his pocket.

Klopp is a genius.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #2858: Jul 06, 2022 11:52:55 pm
      Last season we put a bit more emphasis on the domestic cups, playing generally more "first choice" players, and won them both. Having won them, next season Jürgen can go back to playing the kids more in them, if he feels he needs to. But he may not even need to. As you say, we went very close in both the league and CL despite so many games in the cups, and we still finished the season strongly, so the depth looks ok to me.

This

We've now got  the full set of trophies under Klopp, except the Europa cup and that other pointless Europa league thing.

I'd like us to focus slightly more on the Prem next season and play more younger players in the cups but we still have a decent cup team- Kelleher, Tsimikas, Matip, Gomez, Milner, Jones, Elliot, Bobby plus 3 young players would be expected to win a cup game against any team outside the top half of premier league.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2859: Jul 13, 2022 10:48:27 am
      Freedom of the city incoming for mr Klopp.   :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf:
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #2860: Jul 13, 2022 11:46:10 am
      Yeah, I don't think the squad is too small either.

I disagree with that. Last season, if we won the cups it's because Origi and Minamino who were given the keys of the team did their job and scored crucial goals. Klopp never prioritizes the cups, except when we're already in the final quarters. If we won last year, it's because Origi and Minamino did their job properly and in the finals, we beat Chelsea on penalty. It could have been otherwise, we were good and lucky enough to win both shoot-outs.

This won't change Klopp will still play the B team for cups and if we reach the semi-final, he'll put the A team to finish the job.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #2861: Jul 13, 2022 12:11:00 pm
      Great manager my only reservation is the size of squad, far to small in depth to challenge in all the competitions we do, run out of steam again last season many players surfing fatigue could have rested Robbo more than he did, and we never beat any of the top three in games home and away, Spurs, Chelsea and City had we beat one of them we won the League, both cups we won were on penalties, fine margins but are we going to make the same mistake with what looks like a no bigger or smaller squad than last year….. I hope not
      I get your point but disagree with your conclusion.
      I never once thought depth was the limiting factor during LFC's struggles to score enough goals vs top of the table teams lat season.
      5 deep up front, 6 deep in the middle, 7 deep on the back line.
      I often felt Klopp overvalued possession vs top teams. Too often, especially down the left side, instead of driving forward (often Robbo) with the ball during odd man breaks or with defenders on their back foot, the plan typically was 'kick the ball back out' and play the possession game, thus allowing all 10 defenders to easily set up while LFC's back line played keep away. The few times LFC pressed forward down the left side, rarely were forwards matching the ball's up field position in front of net and almost never did you see a LFC midfielder come to the top of the box for a diagonal pass from the corner. What I just described is Man City's offensive script. Clearly Klopp fears counter strikes and who can blame him given how easily opponents odd man rushes occurred in the blink of an eye. Always baffled me where the mids were. Certainly not pressing forward because that is the job of Trent and Robbo. Yet opponents often easily bypassed the mids on counterstrikes.

I'm certainly nitpicking given the team's results overall, but the "possession" game didn't amount to much vs top of the table
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2862: Jul 13, 2022 12:31:57 pm
      I get your point but disagree with your conclusion.
      I never once thought depth was the limiting factor during LFC's struggles to score enough goals vs top of the table teams lat season.
      5 deep up front, 6 deep in the middle, 7 deep on the back line.
      I often felt Klopp overvalued possession vs top teams. Too often, especially down the left side, instead of driving forward (often Robbo) with the ball during odd man breaks or with defenders on their back foot, the plan typically was 'kick the ball back out' and play the possession game, thus allowing all 10 defenders to easily set up while LFC's back line played keep away. The few times LFC pressed forward down the left side, rarely were forwards matching the ball's up field position in front of net and almost never did you see a LFC midfielder come to the top of the box for a diagonal pass from the corner. What I just described is Man City's offensive script. Clearly Klopp fears counter strikes and who can blame him given how easily opponents odd man rushes occurred in the blink of an eye. Always baffled me where the mids were. Certainly not pressing forward because that is the job of Trent and Robbo. Yet opponents often easily bypassed the mids on counterstrikes.

I'm certainly nitpicking given the team's results overall, but the "possession" game didn't amount to much vs top of the table

Nit picking !!! is an understement of biblical proportions. we lost the league by 1 point, and lost champions league final to the greatest ever european club, which we actually played ok in, hitting post a few times. And all the other sh*te that went on that day the result meant very little in the end.

We were a baw hair away from winning everything. Nothing tactical about it.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2863: Jul 13, 2022 02:39:45 pm
      Nit picking !!! is an understement of biblical proportions. we lost the league by 1 point, and lost champions league final to the greatest ever european club, which we actually played ok in, hitting post a few times. And all the other sh*te that went on that day the result meant very little in the end.

We were a baw hair away from winning everything. Nothing tactical about it.

I don’t think people understand depth enough. They think that three backups for the front three is insufficient depth because there’s only one replacement for each of the three.

We have Mo, Bobby, Diaz, Nunez, Jota, Carvalho as forwards but can only play three each time. Our depth is first our fourth choice forward, then fifth then sixth…

We are three forwards deep and not one forward deep as in three starters backed up by three benchers each. If so, do we need three more forwards for a total of 9 for two forwards deep? People just need to think harder than just throwing out lazy analysis.

People can disagree but I believe the six we have is as strong if not stronger the six we used to have.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2864: Jul 13, 2022 03:38:16 pm
      I don’t think people understand depth enough. They think that three backups for the front three is insufficient depth because there’s only one replacement for each of the three.

We have Mo, Bobby, Diaz, Nunez, Jota, Carvalho as forwards but can only play three each time. Our depth is first our fourth choice forward, then fifth then sixth…

We are three forwards deep and not one forward deep as in three starters backed up by three benchers each. If so, do we need three more forwards for a total of 9 for two forwards deep? People just need to think harder than just throwing out lazy analysis.

People can disagree but I believe the six we have is as strong if not stronger the six we used to have.

Totally Agree.

The new guys defo have the potential to be better than the previous 6 forwards.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2865: Jul 30, 2022 08:21:37 pm
      Really pleased for him, should have won more at Dortmond, but seen the fruits for just being what seems, a really nice guy.

https://twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/1553459776759238657?t=dlq-hIzqJQznb8OhDPUIrA&s=19
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2866: Jul 31, 2022 01:03:25 am
      Legend

After the game, he signed someones leg who had a tatt of Jürgen's face on it.  :lmao:

Harrisimo

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #2867: Aug 01, 2022 05:11:22 pm
      It's Klopp's inspirational infectious enthusiasm and his motivational qualities that make him stand out. But it's much more in terms of his judgement of players. So many things can go wrong on that front. Buying well is vital but getting the best out of them is a job on it's own. Keeping the squad motivated and ready, making the right selection. Picking up on what makes each individual tick.

Also not taking or stealing the credit when we have spectacular success. You can tell that this is a man who automatically knows where his moral compass is. People have integrity by and large, but it's rare for someone so high up in his profession to be so transparent in terms of personal integrity and honesty. You can believe this man, the trust is there, implicit. Decent bloke.

p.s. never met him so could be a git for all I know...!

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2022 05:28:10 pm by Harrisimo »
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #2868: Aug 01, 2022 07:42:44 pm
      Legend

After the game, he signed someones leg who had a tatt of Jürgen's face on it.  :lmao:

He was looking for the big man as well  cos he has a tatt of him on his other leg.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2869: Aug 12, 2022 04:31:45 pm
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #2870: Aug 12, 2022 11:00:18 pm
      More like....thanks to the Red Sox connection and the baseball team's massive fan base who felt an immediate connection with LFC, their history, stadium, etc.
      Factor in FSG's early determination to have preseason games at Fenway Park to solidify their hold on Sox fans.
      And I suspect a big thanks goes to Tom Werner and his TV connections. The NBC TV contract in the States began the same year FSG bought LFC, and despite LFC's early struggles, LFC games were always being broadcast here, at least as much as MU if not more, and this overweighting still continues.

Of course playing in 3 Champions League finals plus having PL goal leading stars never hurts.

My point: When the PL was introduced here, LFC was front and center, and FSG had their fingerprints all over the US coverage from the get go.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2871: Aug 13, 2022 12:04:02 am
      More like....thanks to the Red Sox connection and the baseball team's massive fan base who felt an immediate connection with LFC, their history, stadium, etc.
      Factor in FSG's early determination to have preseason games at Fenway Park to solidify their hold on Sox fans.
      And I suspect a big thanks goes to Tom Werner and his TV connections. The NBC TV contract in the States began the same year FSG bought LFC, and despite LFC's early struggles, LFC games were always being broadcast here, at least as much as MU if not more, and this overweighting still continues.

Of course playing in 3 Champions League finals plus having PL goal leading stars never hurts.

My point: When the PL was introduced here, LFC was front and center, and FSG had their fingerprints all over the US coverage from the get go.

LFC are promoting the brand globally and under Jürgen Klopp the task is less of a challenge, the club has fallen behind the likes of the mancs in global promotion and this upturn in the US is hopefully a sign of international improvement of the brand.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,961 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2872: Aug 19, 2022 05:52:31 pm
      It’s just impossible to try and dislike this man. Once again showing his class not just on the touch lines but off them. Must be the only Liverpool manager in history that can say such a nice thing about there biggest rivals.  :clap:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2873: Aug 21, 2022 08:20:41 pm
      Jürgen had a pop at Agbonlahor for him disrespecting UTD and Brentford. He didnt llike Jürgen reminding him we beat Villa 6-0 with him in the team. He was happy to give it but he didnt like Jürgen giving him a few facts of life he was a bang avg player and he is on a less than avg radio station with some right muppets on it including Simon Jordan FFS
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4923 
      Reply #2874: Aug 22, 2022 09:56:43 pm
      Shocking.

The man is a legend but that was a sh*t show that he has to take responsibility for as much as the players.

Quick Reply