Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager (Part 2)

Read 469277 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager (Part 2)
      Reply #4968: Jun 27, 2023 01:22:46 pm
      On the point of small squads.
      I could see a scenario where Klopp signs Thuram and Lavia and then says he's done unless people want to leave.

That would be a shame as I think we need a CB by default. And really we need some RB cover as well unless he thinks Gomez is up to the task.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,219 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4969: Jun 27, 2023 01:27:27 pm
      I don't think Klopp gets enough credit.

It's easy to criticise him after a season like last season but when you've spent your entire career
      up against teams that outspend you then everything has to be almost perfect for you to win.
      As it was in 19/20 and almost was when chasing the Quadruple.

Squads need refreshing though to prevent what happened last season.
      Klopp and the players brought Liverpool back to being a powerhouse in Europe,
      all this despite 10 year spend at Anfield being  €381m vs City/United at €1bn.

The average spend of Liverpool is the equivalent of signing Mac Allister only this year
      and thinking that that alone is enough.

Klopp needs to push for investment the like that this squad has never seen without the selling of a star player. 

No doubt he knows what the squad needs and who the players are that he wants.

IKWT

Yeah i agree, some of you lot don't appreciate  just how good he is with limited funds...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4970: Jun 27, 2023 02:32:02 pm
      That would be a shame as I think we need a CB by default. And really we need some RB cover as well unless he thinks Gomez is up to the task.

Potentially agree - Phillips is prob leaving , still think it’s up in the air in regards Matip

https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/1673668206165204999?s=46&t=_4uI6CiVRqge8WqM7F37Iw

At the moment we have 4 main CBs plus Phillips, Van Den Berg and some young ones

Phillips, Williams and van den Berg could all be gone.
      If that happens you'd expect a CB to be brought in.

This is arguably the most critical window of Klopp's tenure.
      He's done more than enough to be backed to sign who he needs.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #4971: Jun 27, 2023 02:47:24 pm

Isn’t one of the biggest problems though mate the difference between what Jürgen feels we need and what fans feels we need?

Jürgen may, or may not, feel we don’t need to break the bank for a centre half for example but fans will feel we do. So when we don’t there’s uproar because the fans didn’t get what they feel we need, even if it is what Klopp feels we need.

Or Jürgen may feel we need a young up and coming central midfielder so we buy some kid from Bristol City but the fans feel we need the next Gerrard right now and when we don’t buy them it’s Jürgen being hamstrung by the owners again.

I’m not trying to turn this into another FSG right and wrong discussion, just throwing it out there that what Klopp feels we need and what we, as fans, feel we need may be completely different.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #4972: Jun 27, 2023 02:53:10 pm

Agree that Phillips and Williams will prob be gone but not sure about van Den Berg - he could be the one added to the squad or loan again

At the moment is

VVD
      Konate
      Matip
      Gomez

As CBs

Will he bring in another without one of those leaving

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4973: Jun 27, 2023 02:56:14 pm
      Isn’t one of the biggest problems though mate the difference between what Jürgen feels we need and what fans feels we need?

Jürgen may, or may not, feel we don’t need to break the bank for a centre half for example but fans will feel we do. So when we don’t there’s uproar because the fans didn’t get what they feel we need, even if it is what Klopp feels we need.

Or Jürgen may feel we need a young up and coming central midfielder so we buy some kid from Bristol City but the fans feel we need the next Gerrard right now and when we don’t buy them it’s Jürgen being hamstrung by the owners again.

I’m not trying to turn this into another FSG right and wrong discussion, just throwing it out there that what Klopp feels we need and what we, as fans, feel we need may be completely different.

They're fair points.

I don't want it being a mirror of the owners thread but it's definitely a case that what Klopp wants won't equal what fans want.
      Especially now that everyone is a FIFA expert and you can just buy whoever you want to a large extent.

Klopp has said that he wants to buy players he feels he can coach and he's on record as saying this is the way he operates, ie
      signing younger players and then crafting them into players for the team and style that Klopp wants.

In that scenario then I'd fully expect that the club will likely signs 3 more players.
      My only fear is that within that same window it looks quite likely that 8 players could be gone from the first team squad in the same window.
      I know it's been said before that Klopp likes a small squad but unless you're City and each of those 24 players is capable of coming in and
      playing at the same level as the rest then it's a risky game when you get so many injuries in the squad.

Right now the squad is as lean as it will ever get. Great to build on but only if Klopp gets who he wants.
      And if Klopp says at the end of the window that he got 3 new midfielders and the defender that he wanted and we move on with
      this leaner and younger squad then lets go.

Agree that Phillips and Williams will prob be gone but not sure about van Den Berg - he could be the one added to the squad or loan again

At the moment is

VVD
      Konate
      Matip
      Gomez

As CBs

van den Berg's contract is up.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #4974: Jun 27, 2023 02:57:16 pm

I think a lot ignore that last point and then use soundbites from media to suggest Klopp feels the same as us

We can all guess but I’m in no doubt that if Klopp wasn’t getting what he wants then he wouldn’t be signing new contracts and be at Munich where they have a monopoly

It’s the same when people discuss the likes of Henderson - he was given a new contract because the manager wanted him to have one
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #4975: Jun 27, 2023 03:00:44 pm
      They're fair points.

I don't want it being a mirror of the owners thread but it's definitely a case that what Klopp wants won't equal what fans want.
      Especially now that everyone is a FIFA expert and you can just buy whoever you want to a large extent.

Klopp has said that he wants to buy players he feels he can coach and he's on record as saying this is the way he operates, ie
      signing younger players and then crafting them into players for the team and style that Klopp wants.

In that scenario then I'd fully expect that the club will likely signs 3 more players.
      My only fear is that within that same window it looks quite likely that 8 players could be gone from the first team squad in the same window.
      I know it's been said before that Klopp likes a small squad but unless you're City and each of those 24 players is capable of coming in and
      playing at the same level as the rest then it's a risky game when you get so many injuries in the squad.

Right now the squad is as lean as it will ever get. Great to build on but only if Klopp gets who he wants.
      And if Klopp says at the end of the window that he got 3 new midfielders and the defender that he wanted and we move on with

At the end of the window this is what I think will be the main squad

Alisson
      Kelleher
      Adrian

TAA
      Bradley
      Gomez
      Konate
      VVD
      Matip
      Van Den Berg or new CB
      Robertson
      Kostas

Thiago
      Henderson
      Jones
      MacAllister
      Fabinho
      Bajectic
      Elliot
      Morton - maybe out on loan
      New CM
      New CM

Nunez
      Gakpo
      Mo
      Jota
      Diaz
      Doak
      Gordon

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #4976: Jun 27, 2023 03:01:54 pm
      They're fair points.

van den Berg's contract is up.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/sepp-van-den-berg-signs-new-lfc-deal-and-joins-schalke-loan?amp=1

He signed a new contract last summer
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #4977: Jun 27, 2023 03:02:11 pm

At the moment is

VVD
      Konate
      Matip
      Gomez

As CBs

For me we do need a new centre half regardless of one of those four leaving because the injury records of them means we’re going to get short at some point and the drop in form of Van Dijk has been staggering.

The question then becomes what are we looking for in terms of a defender. Is it someone to partner Van Dijk or someone to be first choice replacement when Konate is out injured or in need of a rest?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #4978: Jun 27, 2023 03:13:06 pm
      There's no way that Klopp looks at our 4 CBs (and their injury history) and thinks we don't need another one especially if Phillips leaves.

If he does then I think he's being either stubborn, naïve or his hands are tied in some way financially.

A season where we've had even 3 completely fit centerbacks to choose from week in and week out seems like a pipe dream. I can't remember when we had that type of stability in the back? Matip is only getting older, VVD is only looking older although I hope he finds some of his own form more often than not. Konate has a tendency to pick up a knock and who knows what you are going to get from Gomez. I think it could be argued that CB is of an even higher priority right now than adding even one more midfielder. If we could only add one more player from here on out, for me it would be a CB.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #4979: Jun 27, 2023 03:15:21 pm
      For me we do need a new centre half regardless of one of those four leaving because the injury records of them means we’re going to get short at some point and the drop in form of Van Dijk has been staggering.

The question then becomes what are we looking for in terms of a defender. Is it someone to partner Van Dijk or someone to be first choice replacement when Konate is out injured or in need of a rest?

I wouldn’t be surprised if one was signed - someone along the likes of Konate who can be “rotated” around with Konate or Matip and even give VVD a break
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,467 posts | 822 
      Reply #4980: Jun 27, 2023 03:15:23 pm
      I don't mean amongst Liverpool supporters.
      In general it's Guardiola that is credited with "changing football".
      Fair enough...but as with everyone else it's impossible to know what anyone means unless they say it. As for "Changing football" ...apart from the staggering finances underpinning some clubs, and of course the introduction of VAR....I can't see where football has changed at all....apart from perhaps the implementation of the high press?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,467 posts | 822 
      Reply #4981: Jun 27, 2023 03:20:25 pm

First 6/10 weeks of the new season should give us the answer to VVD's roll going forward. Personally for what it's worth... I rate Phillips.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #4982: Jun 27, 2023 03:21:34 pm
      First 6/10 weeks of the new season should give us the answer to VVD's roll going forward. Personally for what it's worth... I rate Phillips.

Rumor is Phillips is headed to Leeds.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #4983: Jun 27, 2023 03:22:58 pm

Phillips will leave

He is ok - a bit like Maguire , will throw himself into tackles and head a ball out but his lack of pace on the ground and in the head let’s him down
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4984: Jun 27, 2023 03:25:06 pm
      Fair enough...but as with everyone else it's impossible to know what anyone means unless they say it. As for "Changing football" ...apart from the staggering finances underpinning some clubs, and of course the introduction of VAR....I can't see where football has changed at all....apart from perhaps the implementation of the high press?

The only thing I would take from "Changing Football" is the interchangeability of players.
      Breaking the framework of what each role is dictated to be.

Just as examples:

Firmino - False 9 role
      Trent - Wingback changing to an Inverted Wingback.

The inverted wingback is one most people associate with Guardiola.
      A defender stepping into midfield and creating a box midfield also predominately linked with Guardiola.

Creating game intelligence within the players that they are comfortable changing from
      4-3-3 to 3-4-3 in possession or 3-5-2 that becomes 5-4-1 without the ball.
      All these things take incredible discipline and understanding from the players.

If we associate the False 9 with Klopp then at the end of this season he became more Guardiola like
      in his use of Trent.

This is what I mean by changing the game.
      You can't just ask any team or players to play the way that City and Liverpool do.
      It helps to have the best players but also they must have the best coaches.

We see ex LFC and Barca man Rodolfo Borrell is part of City's backroom staff.

So anyway to get back to "Changing the game".
      I see it as the introduction of fluid systems and structures that change depending on phases of play.
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2023 03:33:44 pm by racerx34 »
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,467 posts | 822 
      Reply #4985: Jun 27, 2023 03:31:06 pm
      The only thing I would take from "Changing Football" is the interchangeability of players.

Just as examples:

Firmino - False 9 role

A defender stepping out of midfield and creating a box midfield also predominately linked with Guardiola.

Creating game intelligence within the players that they are comfortable changing from

If we associate the False 9 with Klopp then at the end of this season he became more Guardiola like
      in his use of Trent.

You can't just ask any team or players to play the way that City and Liverpool do.

I see it as the introduction of fluid systems and structures that change depending on phases of play.
      Good detailed answer well explained.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #4986: Jun 27, 2023 03:33:01 pm
      They're fair points.

I think if Klopp says he wants X player then we will get X player. Van Dijk being the most famous example where we (he) refused to settle for anyone other than Virg. Klopp said that was the player he wanted, that was the player he got - eventually. So I do think if Klopp says he wants a player, we'll do what we can to bring that player in.

Again it may not be who you, I or the rest of the fans want but it will be somebody Klopp wants. And ultimately that has to be enough for fans.

And it may be that mentality that keeps a fairly smaller squad, if the player(s) that he wants are not available this summer. But I don't think too many of those leaving will have much of an impact on the playing field due to how little they contributed last year. And while Jürgen may prefer us to sign players he can coach and mould, I would rather see us this summer go all-in on improving the starting XI which automatically makes the squad stronger because a back-up midfield of Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago is better than a back-up midfield of Milner, Keita, Chamberlain.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #4987: Jun 27, 2023 03:43:35 pm

Just as examples:

Firmino - False 9 role

A defender stepping into midfield and creating a box midfield also predominately linked with Guardiola.

in his use of Trent.

Excellent post 👏
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #4988: Jun 27, 2023 03:43:40 pm

I think Van Dijk is going to start no matter what, unless we have unearthed the next Van Dijk in this window. Neither Matip or Gomez are good enough to replace him as a permanent first choice centre half.

Konate is potentially world class but is still prone to the odd error and only looks really assured when partnering Van Dijk.

As for Phillips, I rate him as well but not enough to say he's going to replace Van Dijk. I would keep him over Gomez (though I don't think Klopp would) but he's below Matip in the pecking order for me.

So unless we do sign a top quality, world class centre half this summer, I think when possible our centre half pairing will be Konate & Van Dijk, which I'm not against in the slightest, especially if both can get somewhere close to their best.

Whether we change system slightly with Trent moving more into the midfield role and play Robbo on the left of a back three, leaving Van Dijk to just worry about the 18 yard box and not having to cover out wide would actually help the Dutchman, I don't know.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #4989: Jun 27, 2023 04:58:55 pm
      Check out the 74 cup final for football or our two full backs scoring goals in European Cup finals from in the penalty area we have always pushed the boundaries of what is expected from a position even Tommy Lawrence who excelled inthe 5a sides was the first sweeper keeper football did not start in 1992 and if some of our lads had played on modern pitches we would have won even more.
      Now I hope Jürgen and his family had a good break I have a feeling he will be absolutely chomping at the bit to get on with this season and now we have bid £300mil for MBappe he will be even happier.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4990: Jun 27, 2023 05:05:13 pm

I agree on this, we defo need more new blood at CB.

Quick Reply