Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager (Part 2)

Read 430795 times
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2019/20 Edition
      Reply #621: Mar 16, 2020 04:47:38 pm
      Klopps a true leader of men.

Unlike the leader of the country, who is a lying fat scruff with a Churchill complex.

So true HR  :gt-happyup:
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #622: Mar 16, 2020 05:19:11 pm
      The King will be willing us on.....as will The Baron of Anfield...one Stewart Wood...I'm still trying to fathom out how this bloke, born in Kent got the Title...The Baron of Anfield...any suggestions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Wood,_Baron_Wood_of_Anfield

Isn't the origins of anfield outta Ireland? Could of been one of those bastid landowner types?ah crap this is the Klopp thread soz for carrying on off topic.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #623: Mar 23, 2020 09:46:25 am

Jürgen Klopp: Liverpool manager's journey from Black Forest to heroic status at Anfield

Jens Haas still remembers the first time he suspected his schoolmate Jürgen Klopp had the mind of a football manager.

They were 11 years old, being driven to play football for SV Glatten's youth team, listening to their beloved Stuttgart's latest Bundesliga match on the radio.

Young Jürgen began to analyse Stuttgart's tactics - and suggested a couple of substitutions to alter the course of the game. Moments later, the commentator confirmed that Klopp's suggested switches were being made.

"I was amazed by his knowledge and understanding of the game," recalls Haas. "Sometimes I thought he was already a coach."

Klopp's school days in the Black Forest offer the first clues as to how he grew up to become the ultimate modern football manager.

He is revered at Mainz, where he went from player to head coach overnight and took the club into the Bundesliga for the first time; at Dortmund, where he toppled Bayern Munich; and now at Liverpool, with a sixth European Cup and a march towards a 19th league title before coronavirus intervened.

Equally at ease with players, fans, executives and journalists, this smiling, gesticulating, bear-hugging coach seems to embody these clubs whose supporters demand an emotional investment from the man in control of their dreams.

There's plenty more on Klopp's personality and methods to come as we speak to some of the key figures in his journey to Anfield. The story begins in Glatten, the idyllic Black Forest spa village where he spent his formative years.

We meet Haas opposite the bakery, beside a fountain that flows into the River Glatt from which the village takes its name. This is where Jürgen, Jens and their SV Glatten team-mates would gather before travelling to away matches.

A short stroll along the river's grassy banks, where the boys used to ride their bikes, takes you to Klopp's childhood home, a large white-fronted house where his mother still lives, opposite the shiny new town hall and less than a corner kick away from the primary school that Klopp and Jens attended.

It is here, among the hills of Swabia - a land of cuckoo clocks, traditional costumes and hearty foods in south-west Germany - that Klopp developed his sense of freedom, a far cry from the industry and intensity of Mainz, Dortmund or Liverpool.

"People here are very quiet and solid," says Haas. "They are cautious with money. They like to work and they judge people on what they do.

"Swabian people take a little while to warm up, but once you are friends you are friends for life. It's a really good place to grow up. You have time for yourself and you can focus on what you want to do."

Klopp has two older sisters who he says were like second mothers to him, but it was his father Norbert - a travelling salesman and former amateur goalkeeper - who encouraged him to take up sport.

"Norbert had a big influence on him, he shaped him," recalls Klopp's first coach Ulrich Rath, who founded the Glatten Under-11s team in 1972 so that his two sons Ingo and Harti could play for a team alongside Klopp and Jens.

"It's important to know that Norbert Klopp wasn't born here in Glatten. He's from Rhineland-Palatinate, close to Mainz. The people from that area celebrate carnival. In Glatten and in the Black Forest, we don't," he adds.

"Norbert was very active here in this club, first in football and then later in tennis. And Jürgen got his father's eloquence, enthusiasm and vigour.

"His mother is originally from Glatten, from a long-established family. The people from the Black Forest are quiet, laid-back people. They always had to work hard. They were always strong-willed.

"When Jürgen is jumping up and down, I can see Norbert in him. But when he closes the door behind him at home, he finds peace and quiet and collects his strength. That's his mother."

Klopp was a midfielder and captain for SV Glatten's youth teams until he switched in his late teens to TuS Ergenzingen, a bigger team in a town 15 miles away. Rath describes him as a "bad loser" but a "natural leader".

"He was always right at the forefront and he spoke up when something was not right," says the 79-year-old Rath. "We had a good relationship. He was ambitious. And he would always tell his team-mates 'Let's go' and push them."

The pitch where Klopp used to play has tall pine trees along one touchline and a stream along the other, from which Haas remembers retrieving many a stray ball.

In 1981, matches moved across the village to a new sports club, where the yellow and black colours of the local team are an uncanny match for those of Borussia Dortmund. A photo of Klopp in his Dortmund prime, signed and dedicated to the people of his home town, sits proudly among the other trophies and memorabilia.

This was also the venue for a celebration to honour the village's most famous son when Klopp led Dortmund to the Bundesliga title in 2011.

Klopp's first major title as a manager was cause for special celebration in his home town
      As the cheering and chanting subsided, Klopp went on stage to make a speech before mingling with the people of his childhood home.

"It was amazing," says Haas, over a local wheat beer in Glatten's nearest thing to a sports bar, a smokey wooden den with TV screens where the local bikers' club have taken up residence for the afternoon.

"One minute he was the professional coach of Dortmund and then the next he was an old classmate. He was interested in the village, in who everyone was, and he spoke to people in the local dialect."

Rath rarely sees Klopp these days but becomes emotional when he recalls a surprise phone call from his former pupil on his 75th birthday.

"He congratulated me and wished me all the best," says Rath, choking back tears. "This is his home. And he has never forgotten that."

After leaving Glatten, Klopp played for several amateur clubs, including Rot-Weiss Frankfurt, while studying for a degree in sports science at the city's university.

In 1990, at the age of 23, he moved 30 miles west to sign a semi-professional contract with second division team Mainz 05, under the watchful gaze of club captain Michael Schumacher.

"Klopp was a typical student at this time, in both looks and personality," laughs the 62-year-old, sitting in a corporate suite at Mainz's new 34,000-seater stadium, a gleaming symbol of the club's dramatic rise under Klopp's management.

"He was always wearing jeans and a T-shirt and was really easy-going with no stress."

Life on the pitch was to prove rather more traumatic for Klopp, who has always confessed to having second division legs but a first division brain.

"When he came to us he was a forward," adds Schumacher. "He was fast and good with his head but he struggled with the technical side of the game.

"It was hard for him. When they announced his name, the fans would whistle and boo. I remember after a game we were sitting in the hydro-massage pool and Klopp said to me 'What can I do? The coach always wants to bring me on.' He knew he wasn't the greatest player, but he did what he was told."

A switch to defence under the tutelage of influential coach Wolfgang Frank turned the 6ft 4in Klopp into a success at Mainz, where he played 325 games in a decade-long career. But it was the sudden decision to install him as manager that really brought out his strengths.

Mainz were facing relegation to the third tier of German football when president Harald Strutz made the bold call in February 2001.

"The situation was that we'd gone through three managers in quick succession," says the affable Strutz as he looks out across the pitch at the creaking Bruchweg Stadium, Mainz's home during Klopp's time as player and coach which now serves as their training ground.

"We had a very important game and we said if nobody is here to help the team, they have to do it themselves.

"Jürgen Klopp was full of passion, a normal man with a special personality. You could see in all the games that he was a leader. You could see the supporters were so impressed with his personality.

"We decided to make him the manager and that was such an explosion of emotion for all the people living in this city. And it started the greatest time for this club."

The impact was instant. Mainz beat Duisburg 1-0 in Klopp's first match and won six of their first seven games to pull clear of the relegation zone. Better was to follow.

In two successive seasons, the club challenged for promotion right up until the final day of the season, only to miss out in agonising circumstances both times.

While lesser men might have cracked, it was the way Klopp galvanised the club and the city that so impressed Strutz.

As 15,000 fans gathered in front of the theatre in Mainz's main square, Klopp spoke from the heart.

"Everyone had tears in their eyes, but Jürgen got on the stage and told them we would come back stronger and try again. It was so impressive for all the people to see such strength. He always found the right words."

Tears turned to joy the following season when Mainz secured their first ever promotion to the Bundesliga.

Klopp and Mainz celebrate the third-place finish that sent them up to Germany's top flight in 2004
      "I can promise we had a beautiful evening," says Strutz. "Jürgen always tells me he has this image of me that he'll never forget. Standing in a pub at 3 o'clock in the morning looking so happy. Smiling, laughing, drinking."

Mainz spent three heady seasons in the Bundesliga, ample time for Klopp's tactical acumen and infectious charm to make an impression on one of the most powerful men in German football.

"When you had to play against Mainz, on the one side the players were not very good, but on the other side it was so difficult to beat them because they had a lot of spirit," says Hans-Joachim Watzke, the chief executive of Borussia Dortmund.

"For the general public he made a real impression during the World Cup in 2006 when he was an expert on TV.

"For the Germans it was a new thing that this guy had such a high competence for analysis but also made it entertainment with a lot of charm. It was fantastic."

After more tears as he said farewell to the fans in Mainz's main square, Klopp joined Dortmund in 2008 and immediately formed a close bond with the club's impassioned 'Yellow Wall' of fans at their 80,000-capacity Westfalenstadoin.

Playing his trademark brand of "heavy metal" football while screaming and gesturing from the outer reaches of his technical area, Klopp turned a struggling Dortmund side into one of European football's most thrilling sights, storming to the Bundesliga title in 2011 and following it up with the league and cup double in 2012.

"He gave the team a new spirit," says Watzke. "He played another style of football to what we played before: aggressive, pressing with power and with his empathy on the side.

"The fans and the players loved him from the first moment. The whole city, the whole region was out of control."

Klopp left Dortmund in May 2015. He won two league titles, one German Cup, and reached the Champions League final in 2013
      Klopp's superstar status is encapsulated in helicopter camera footage of the culmination of Dortmund's title-winning parade in 2011. With the newly-penned 'Kloppo du Popstar' anthem blasting out from the speakers, Klopp emerges through a cloud of smoke, dances onto stage in aviator shades, boots a ball into the crowd and waves to every adoring face.

"He's one of the most famous men in Germany," says close friend Uli Graf, the writer and producer of 'Kloppo du Popstar', which reached number two in the German charts.

"But he doesn't want to be a pop star. He is a man of the people - the boy from the Black Forest who became a hero."

Graf describes holidaying with Jürgen Klopp as "the biggest fun you can have".

"You'll be laughing, joking, you can talk about politics, sports," he says. "He is a very intelligent and clever man, you don't have to fear what you say."

A great football coach, a decent dancer and an ideal holiday companion. But Jürgen Klopp's talents don't end there.

If ever a Borussia Dortmund sponsor was wavering about renewing their deal, they would receive a personal call from Klopp himself.

"Jürgen Klopp is a marketing man's dream," says Carsten Cramer, who was head of marketing during Klopp's seven years at the club and is now managing director.

"A person like him working for an emotional club like Borussia Dortmund was a perfect fit. He was able to give this club and its identity a human face.

"He is a weapon, a perfect all-rounder and he supported us in an awesome way. The sponsors were so touched that the manager of Dortmund was calling them that they all extended their deals."

Five years on from another tearful parting of the ways, Cramer and Watzke remain close friends with Klopp and were guests in Kiev and Madrid for both of Liverpool's Champions League finals under the German.

"If you work together with a person like Jürgen for seven years it would be a lie to say you don't miss him. He's an extraordinary person," says Cramer.

"But to see how he gives hope and power not only to Liverpool Football Club but also to the city makes us very proud."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51989229
      « Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020 09:54:31 am by MIRO »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #624: Mar 23, 2020 11:24:58 am
      Video on twitter of someone saying hello to Klopp in Formby from his car window while Klopp in a long coat and baseball cap is walking his dog.

I'll have to find the vid!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #625: Apr 21, 2020 11:53:30 pm
      I'm currently watching a re-run of our last league game against Bournemouth, commentator saying Klopp has not lost Successive League games as our manager, as Any manager ever achieved that at any club over the same length of time?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #626: Apr 22, 2020 04:08:00 pm
      Video on twitter of someone saying hello to Klopp in Formby from his car window while Klopp in a long coat and baseball cap is walking his dog.

I'll have to find the vid!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wife-Jürgen-klopps-amazing-secret-18131092?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Was this the same day mate?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #627: May 15, 2020 03:11:48 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52674133

On Football Focus tomorrow .

Klopp " Gary Neville has an opinion on everything "     Class.
      « Last Edit: May 15, 2020 06:33:31 pm by MIRO »
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #628: May 16, 2020 03:48:40 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52656558

BBC Sport travels to Germany to retrace the steps of Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp's career in football, from a talented young player to a coach who changed the fortunes of Mainz.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #629: May 17, 2020 09:34:03 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #630: May 20, 2020 07:15:35 am
      Q. You mentioned the Bundesliga in one of your earlier answers. Obviously and understandably, there was a lot of attention and focus here in the UK on Germany’s return to football at the weekend, not least here in Liverpool. What did you make of the so-called ‘new normal’?

Klopp: Look, I love it. In this part I’m a strange person; when I watch football – other games, not our games – I watch them most of the time without sound because I don’t want to hear the commentary, I’m just interested in the game. So now for me it’s completely normal to watch other football games. I love the game, I’m interested in what they do and stuff like this. It’s 100 per cent, the perfect package of football is a full, packed Anfield stadium, two really good teams, big fight, super goals and at the end Liverpool win. That’s the perfect matchday.

So, a lot of these things are possible but Anfield will not be packed for a while. So that’s what we have to accept, that’s the only thing. I know, football behind closed doors, of course it’s not the same. Why do we have to mention it? We all love it when we have contact, when we get cheered up by the people, when they push us through the yards and all that stuff. We love that but we cannot have it. Why would you think always about something you cannot have in the moment? Use the thing you have in the moment. And it looks like it will be possible – and it is in Germany already possible – to play behind closed doors. And the football games were really good; super goals, real fight, tight games, clear games, clear results, a proper fight. Imagine, the first night is a little bit like, ‘Have a look here and there, how will it work, how does it feel?’ But in Germany so many teams play for pretty much everything – they want to stay in the league – and that’s exactly the same what will happen in England.

When we start, it goes really again for everything. The competition will make the intensity. So it’s not about, ‘Oh, Liverpool have to win two games.’ By the way, we have to win two games when we start – it’s not ‘only two’, it’s two. It’s not less or more. We have to win them, it’s not that we want to win the last two or whatever and come through somehow. We want to play the best possible football, better than other teams fighting for the Champions League, fighting to stay in the league. You will see, that was the first matchday but now the intensity will go even up. And all the physical numbers of the games in Germany were incredibly high, so like 117 or 118km running, without anybody shouting at you that you have to run. Just because you want it, because you do it for your teammates. That’s exactly what we have to do as well. We play for this club, we play for each other, 100 per cent. We will run and fight for each other, 100 per cent.

We have to do it, unfortunately, without the best boost in the world and the best kick in your ass in the right moment in the world, from the Anfield crowd. But that’s how it is. I never understood in life why you always want things you don’t have, you cannot have. In this moment we cannot have that, so let’s take the rest and make the absolute best of it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #631: May 20, 2020 01:43:51 pm
      Q. You mentioned the Bundesliga in one of your earlier answers. Obviously and understandably, there was a lot of attention and focus here in the UK on Germany’s return to football at the weekend, not least here in Liverpool. What did you make of the so-called ‘new normal’?

Klopp: Look, I love it. In this part I’m a strange person; when I watch football – other games, not our games – I watch them most of the time without sound because I don’t want to hear the commentary, I’m just interested in the game. So now for me it’s completely normal to watch other football games. I love the game, I’m interested in what they do and stuff like this. It’s 100 per cent, the perfect package of football is a full, packed Anfield stadium, two really good teams, big fight, super goals and at the end Liverpool win. That’s the perfect matchday.

So, a lot of these things are possible but Anfield will not be packed for a while. So that’s what we have to accept, that’s the only thing. I know, football behind closed doors, of course it’s not the same. Why do we have to mention it? We all love it when we have contact, when we get cheered up by the people, when they push us through the yards and all that stuff. We love that but we cannot have it. Why would you think always about something you cannot have in the moment? Use the thing you have in the moment. And it looks like it will be possible – and it is in Germany already possible – to play behind closed doors. And the football games were really good; super goals, real fight, tight games, clear games, clear results, a proper fight. Imagine, the first night is a little bit like, ‘Have a look here and there, how will it work, how does it feel?’ But in Germany so many teams play for pretty much everything – they want to stay in the league – and that’s exactly the same what will happen in England.

When we start, it goes really again for everything. The competition will make the intensity. So it’s not about, ‘Oh, Liverpool have to win two games.’ By the way, we have to win two games when we start – it’s not ‘only two’, it’s two. It’s not less or more. We have to win them, it’s not that we want to win the last two or whatever and come through somehow. We want to play the best possible football, better than other teams fighting for the Champions League, fighting to stay in the league. You will see, that was the first matchday but now the intensity will go even up. And all the physical numbers of the games in Germany were incredibly high, so like 117 or 118km running, without anybody shouting at you that you have to run. Just because you want it, because you do it for your teammates. That’s exactly what we have to do as well. We play for this club, we play for each other, 100 per cent. We will run and fight for each other, 100 per cent.

We have to do it, unfortunately, without the best boost in the world and the best kick in your ass in the right moment in the world, from the Anfield crowd. But that’s how it is. I never understood in life why you always want things you don’t have, you cannot have. In this moment we cannot have that, so let’s take the rest and make the absolute best of it.

That man....!

Point me to the nearest brick wall. I'm ready to run through it now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #632: May 20, 2020 01:47:33 pm

It'll be a big loss, but we can just make Klopp leader of THE world now.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #633: May 22, 2020 07:00:28 am
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #634: May 22, 2020 12:40:39 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/21/Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-clothes-keys-to-coaching-team-talks-kick-it-out?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“Your football has to be mirrored by your soul,” Jürgen Klopp says as he explains why his appearance on the touchline has no effect on his team’s performance. Liverpool’s manager is midway through a fascinating answer about his dress code and has an important message for the aspiring coaches listening to him on Zoom. “You have to bring your own character in.”

This is an unusual setting for Klopp. It is Liverpool’s first day back in phase one training but the manager of the Premier League’s dominant force has given up part of his afternoon to take part in a mentoring session for Kick It Out, football’s anti-discrimination charity. Troy Townsend, Kick It Out’s head of development, has got top coaches involved in the organisation’s Raise Your Game programme – England’s Gareth Southgate is another star attraction – and has landed Klopp.

Gerald Lami, who works at Juventus’s academy in Oman, and Taff Rahman, a Football Association coach educator, are the pair lucky enough to be picking Klopp’s brain, and the Guardian has been invited to sit in on the call. Lami, buzzing as he holds up a copy of Klopp’s autobiography, takes a risk with a question about the German’s fashion sense. “Coming as a refugee to England, appearance is something I’ve always been kind of cautious about,” the 29-year-old says. “I’ve been critical of myself and made sure I’m well dressed. But when I look at you, I don’t see a traditional coach in terms of a suit. How did you go against that traditional look?”

The manager of the European champions listens intently before letting out a booming laugh. “Interesting,” Klopp says. “What I can read between the lines is that I look like a tramp on the sidelines?”

Klopp has taken a shine to Lami, who tells the former Borussia Dortmund manager about moving to England from Albania when he was a boy, his challenging upbringing in east London and falling into a downward spiral after struggling to make it as a footballer. Lami fell in with the wrong crowd and it was only after he was stabbed that he went down a path that has led to coaching in the Middle East. Klopp is impressed and he does not mind being asked about his lack of sartorial elegance.

“I was a player and the next day I was the manager,” Klopp says, remembering how he got his break at Mainz at the age of 35. “In my locker room was the tracksuit of the guy who had the job two days before. It didn’t even fit me. I was just focused on the game. I never thought about how I look. I know it’s not too cool because we are working in public but then when I came to Borussia Dortmund I thought: ‘Maybe I have to change.’ I went for a while wearing jeans and a shirt. But I just didn’t feel comfortable.

“But that doesn’t mean it’s bad for you. I think the best-dressed manager is Pep Guardiola. Everything he wears looks exactly right for him. He doesn’t wear a suit, just casual stuff. It’s interesting what you told me about being a kid who came to England as a refugee. Maybe what is deep in yourself is a little bit of lack of confidence. You think you have to convince people with the way you look.”

As Klopp enters full motivational mode it becomes obvious to see how he connects with his players. He wants Lami to trust himself but also points out the ultimate test will be how his team look on the pitch.

“Be yourself as a coach,” Klopp says. “If you want to look great, then wonderful. I’m just not made for this. It’s important you do what is right for you because whatever role model you have, you can never do the same things. I like when you see the soul or character of the coach in the team. Guardiola again: you see a team and think: ‘Wow, that’s either Guardiola or somebody who worked with him.’ But you can never be exactly the same. Dressing is one part of our character. Wear what you want, but don’t make it the most important thing. In the end the game is what counts. But don’t worry: you can be world champion in a suit or a tracksuit. You just have to be comfortable.”

Lami wants to know the secret of Klopp’s self-belief. “I was full of confidence as a kid,” he says. “Whatever I did my mother said: ‘Brilliant.’ My father said: ‘Sensational.’ I got filled with love. I don’t doubt people. I am completely open. I have nothing to hide. I give everything but I don’t expect I get something for it.”

Klopp’s acceptance that defeat is part of life has been a key part of his success at Liverpool, who are within touching distance of winning their first title in 30 years. “I give everything. I expect my players to give everything. Then we see what we get. That creates the mentality of the team.”

Rahman, part of the former Birmingham and Derby defender Michael Johnson’s staff when Guyana reached the Gold Cup for the first time last year, asks about communication. For Klopp, the key is thinking about the message. “I know myself well,” he says. “I trust myself to say the right thing in the right moment.”

The mind goes back to Liverpool’s finest escape acts under Klopp: the Europa League quarter-final win over Dortmund and fighting back from a 3-0 defeat in the first leg to reach the Champions League final at Barcelona’s expense last season. “Against Dortmund we were 3-1 down at half-time. Before the game you have no idea what you will say at half-time. I said: ‘Boys, this is the day we create a story we can tell our grandchildren.’

“Before Barcelona, it was not planned. I said: ‘It is really unlikely you go through, but because it’s you we have a chance.’ It’s 100% what I thought. You cannot create a proper message by searching for it. It has to come naturally. But the strongest message is one that fits the situation. That means it’s prepared a few days before the game.”

Preparation helped Liverpool go on their 44-game unbeaten run in the league. “How do we get to 10 games in a row?” Klopp says. “It’s exactly the same as 40 games in a row. You should think more positively about yourself. It’s not difficult to keep yourself in line. We win a game, I’m happy. The next day, I don’t think about that game.

“I lost six finals in a row. That doesn’t mean I will not try again. We did that 44 times. But we did the same before the Watford game, which we lost. We are human beings. None of us are perfect. I get up in the morning and have a smile on my face. Can the boys disappoint me? Not really. If something doesn’t work out, I think my message wasn’t clear enough, not that they are too dumb to get what I told them. But why should I be unhappy with myself? I just have to improve my message.”

With the clock ticking Klopp is asked for two more tips. “If you are really ambitious you have to understand the game,” he says. “The interesting fact with football is pretty much everybody thinks he is an expert. It’s a nice game, a simple game. But it’s not easy. That’s why so many people think they understand it but stop so early. There are lot of things to learn. A lot of things to watch. You have to learn constantly.

“The moment you stop learning, the game develops. I started 20 years ago. Is it the same game? No. It’s so much more physical, so much quicker. The other thing is be yourself. You have no other chance. The moment you try to act like somebody else, you constantly think: ‘What would he do?’ Be yourself and learn more about the game. Then I would say there’s a big chance we play against each other. Why not?”

Klopp laughs again before saying goodbye. It is time to train.

jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #635: May 22, 2020 01:39:29 pm
      heheh is he taking the piss about Pep being the best dressed manager?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #636: May 22, 2020 03:12:07 pm
      It'll be a big loss, but we can just make Klopp leader of THE world now.

I'm thinking he can moonlight it.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #637: May 24, 2020 12:13:38 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #638: May 24, 2020 01:31:31 pm

Just watched this on U Choob, it’s brilliant, from one Legend to another.

Y  N  W  A

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #639: May 24, 2020 01:46:42 pm

Just watched this on U Choob, it’s brilliant, from one Legend to another.

Y  N  W  A

Exactly :)
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #640: Jun 01, 2020 12:13:11 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/397496-Jürgen-klopp-madrid-champions-league-anniversary

“It is big, it is absolutely big, and hopefully we can do similar things again.”

By his own admission, Jürgen Klopp isn’t usually one for reflection in a footballing sense; however, the recent period away from Melwood presented him with a rare opportunity to do just that.

The manager revealed to Liverpoolfc.com in April he’d taken the chance to pore over some of the team’s finest moments of his tenure to date by watching highlights and clips online.

Naturally, events before, during and after June 1, 2019 formed a significant part of his viewing, the night he and his players clinched the Champions League trophy by beating Tottenham Hotspur in Madrid.

Speaking on the one-year anniversary of the Reds’ sixth European Cup title, Klopp told this website: “I had enough time [in lockdown] so I watched pretty much all our Champions League games again. It’s nice.

“I didn’t see a lot of the things the boys did around – little interviews here, little nice situations there, what the fans did – so there was a lot to watch during lockdown. And I did that.

“Now I’m, I would say, on the right level knowledge-wise. I know exactly what all the people did around the world and I enjoyed it a lot.

“We all work on – and hope for – we can deliver similar or the same thing again in the future. We will work on that because it’s so big, it’s so massive. Now, when we speak about it – which I obviously don’t do that often – I really feel it. It is big, it is absolutely big, and hopefully we can do similar things again.”

In prevailing 2-0 in the Spanish showpiece, thanks to strikes from Mohamed Salah and Divock Origi, Liverpool collected the first of three trophies that would be amassed in the months that followed.

The UEFA Super Cup was clinched courtesy of a penalty shootout victory over Chelsea in Istanbul in August, and the Reds lifted the FIFA Club World Cup for the first time in their history in December by overturning Monterrey and Flamengo in Qatar.

Klopp continued: “Just time flies, that’s how it is. Yes, I know; yesterday [in 2019] I had a press conference, today a year ago we played the game. How we knew afterwards, it became one of the biggest days in our lives – a wonderful experience, sensational.

“The things that happened afterwards, that we could then play the European Super Cup, play the World Cup and all that stuff. In the moment you get told you have to play them, it’s like, ‘Wow, really, where should we fit them in?’ But it was brilliant. And the next time we are in a similar situation I will really look forward to it more than I did last time, because now I know how good it felt when you won it.

“But it all started with the Champions League and that was massive, a big day, great. Today a year ago means on Tuesday a year ago we were in the city. One year ago the world was in a different place, that’s true as well, but we will get there again and I can’t wait.”

The scenes that followed as the Reds returned to the city to be greeted by an estimated 750,000 people will be spoken about for decades to come.

Klopp admits seeing his team write themselves into Liverpool’s illustrious history – and therefore, providing supporters with stories and memories that will be passed on to future generations – is something he takes immense pride in.

“I’m 100 per cent sure a lot of people can still tell stories about the 2005 final, it’s clear,” he added. “That’s what it’s all about, that we collect these stories and tell them to other people.

“I’m delighted we are part of these stories now because it took a while, and nobody speaks too long about the finals we lose – how I know for myself. It’s absolutely OK.

“About this final, people will speak for a long, long time.”
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #641: Jun 01, 2020 02:11:16 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/397496-Jürgen-klopp-madrid-champions-league-anniversary

“It is big, it is absolutely big, and hopefully we can do similar things again.”

By his own admission, Jürgen Klopp isn’t usually one for reflection in a footballing sense; however, the recent period away from Melwood presented him with a rare opportunity to do just that.

The manager revealed to Liverpoolfc.com in April he’d taken the chance to pore over some of the team’s finest moments of his tenure to date by watching highlights and clips online.

Naturally, events before, during and after June 1, 2019 formed a significant part of his viewing, the night he and his players clinched the Champions League trophy by beating Tottenham Hotspur in Madrid.

Speaking on the one-year anniversary of the Reds’ sixth European Cup title, Klopp told this website: “I had enough time [in lockdown] so I watched pretty much all our Champions League games again. It’s nice.

“I didn’t see a lot of the things the boys did around – little interviews here, little nice situations there, what the fans did – so there was a lot to watch during lockdown. And I did that.

“Now I’m, I would say, on the right level knowledge-wise. I know exactly what all the people did around the world and I enjoyed it a lot.

“We all work on – and hope for – we can deliver similar or the same thing again in the future. We will work on that because it’s so big, it’s so massive. Now, when we speak about it – which I obviously don’t do that often – I really feel it. It is big, it is absolutely big, and hopefully we can do similar things again.”

In prevailing 2-0 in the Spanish showpiece, thanks to strikes from Mohamed Salah and Divock Origi, Liverpool collected the first of three trophies that would be amassed in the months that followed.

The UEFA Super Cup was clinched courtesy of a penalty shootout victory over Chelsea in Istanbul in August, and the Reds lifted the FIFA Club World Cup for the first time in their history in December by overturning Monterrey and Flamengo in Qatar.

Klopp continued: “Just time flies, that’s how it is. Yes, I know; yesterday [in 2019] I had a press conference, today a year ago we played the game. How we knew afterwards, it became one of the biggest days in our lives – a wonderful experience, sensational.

“The things that happened afterwards, that we could then play the European Super Cup, play the World Cup and all that stuff. In the moment you get told you have to play them, it’s like, ‘Wow, really, where should we fit them in?’ But it was brilliant. And the next time we are in a similar situation I will really look forward to it more than I did last time, because now I know how good it felt when you won it.

“But it all started with the Champions League and that was massive, a big day, great. Today a year ago means on Tuesday a year ago we were in the city. One year ago the world was in a different place, that’s true as well, but we will get there again and I can’t wait.”

The scenes that followed as the Reds returned to the city to be greeted by an estimated 750,000 people will be spoken about for decades to come.

Klopp admits seeing his team write themselves into Liverpool’s illustrious history – and therefore, providing supporters with stories and memories that will be passed on to future generations – is something he takes immense pride in.

“I’m 100 per cent sure a lot of people can still tell stories about the 2005 final, it’s clear,” he added. “That’s what it’s all about, that we collect these stories and tell them to other people.

“I’m delighted we are part of these stories now because it took a while, and nobody speaks too long about the finals we lose – how I know for myself. It’s absolutely OK.

“About this final, people will speak for a long, long time.”

When this man eventually leaves I will genuinely breakdown and cry. I absolutely love him
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #642: Jun 07, 2020 12:30:27 pm
      Jürgen Klopp Sir, you are just different gravy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxrl0FP8vno&t=325s

Honestly, an absolute great watch, whenever supporters doubt this man they should come back and watch this, wouldn't want anyone else to lead us while he is still around, new signings or not.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #643: Jun 08, 2020 10:22:31 pm

Quick Reply