Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Our 25-man squad for the 2019-20 season

Read 9460 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Our 25-man squad for the 2019-20 season
      Jul 23, 2019 02:15:13 pm
      How many players we got on the books? How many allowed in the squad before the season starts? Players aren't just gonna sign when they know they could be just sat on the bench. We're looking now for better players to replace what we have in the first team or to replace what is currently sitting on the bench. Not about bulk buying this pre-season.

I know this wasn't your main point (from another thread), but you do touch on an important aspect of our squad/team-building. The Premier League rules that you get 25 in the squad and 8 of them have to be home-grown (trained at an English club three years prior to turning 21. U21 players don't count toward either the 25 or the 8. Last year we only had 23 in our registered squad, and 7 home-grown (Clyne, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Ox, Connor Randall, Daniel Sturridge). The rule is, if you are short on the home-grown by any amount, you have to reduce your squad size by the same number.

This year, out of that group we currently have Clyne, Hendo, Lallana, Milner and Ox, meaning three players short. That would mean we could only be allowed to have 22 players in the squad....HOWEVER, we now have Ryan Kent and Harry Wilson both old enough to count as players against this limit. Nathaniel Phillips also fits this bill.

But you can see how all the talk about buying a reserve forward or left back from somewhere might not factor in to these roster limits and thus make Kent and Wilson in particular a more appealing option off the bench for Jürgen.

So I'll throw it out there - what should our 25-player squad be for this season?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Our 25-man squad for the 2019-20 season
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2019 02:29:55 pm

So I'll throw it out there - what should our 25-player squad be for this season?

Alisson
      Mignolet
      van Dijk
      Gomez (H)
      Matip
      Lovren
      Robertson
      Clyne (H)
      Fabinho
      Keita
      Wijnaldum
      Henderson (H)
      Ox (H)
      Milner (H)
      Lallana (H)
      Shaqiri
      Mane
      Firmino
      Salah
      Origi
      Wilson

That's 21.
      15 that aren't classified as Home Grown Players.

U21:

TAA
      Brewster
      Larouci
      Kelleher
      van den Berg

Still room for 2 more first team players, or 1 top tier versatile attacking player.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Jul 23, 2019 02:47:36 pm
      Alisson
      Mignolet
      van Dijk
      Gomez (H)
      Matip
      Lovren
      Robertson
      Clyne (H)
      Fabinho
      Keita
      Wijnaldum
      Henderson (H)
      Ox (H)
      Milner (H)
      Lallana (H)
      Shaqiri
      Mane
      Firmino
      Salah
      Origi
      Wilson

That's 21.
      15 that aren't classified as Home Grown Players.

U21:

TAA
      Brewster
      Larouci
      Kelleher
      van den Berg

Still room for 2 more first team players, or 1 top tier versatile attacking player.

At first read I thought you must be forgetting someone but upon checking, you are spot on re our current roster. We could add 4 actually if two are home grown. Ryan Kent and Phillips or the goalkeeper Lonergan (if we decide to sign him) would fit that bill. So you could bring in two more as you say.

Remember last year we only registered 23, even though 25 is the limit.
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2019 07:03:39 pm by Robby The Z »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Jul 23, 2019 02:54:45 pm
      At first readni thought you must be forgetting someone but upon checking, you are spot on re our current roster. We could add 4 actually if two are home grown. Ryan Kent and Phillips or the goalkeeper Lonergan (if we decide to sign him) would fit that bill. So you could bring in two more as you say.

Remember last year we only registered 23, even though 25 is the limit.

Would be quite happy with the business done if it's a quality addition to the attacking line up,
      with minutes given to Wilson, Brewster & Larouci.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Aug 01, 2019 12:59:44 pm
      From pre-season the squad looks like this:

GK - Alisson, Mignolet, Lonergan
      RB - TAA (U21), Hoever (U21), (Clyne (H) out injured)
      CB - van Dijk, Matip, Gomez (H), Lovren, Sepp (U21)
      LB - Robertson, Larouci (U21)
      CM - Fabinho, Henderson (H), Wijnaldum, Milner (H), Ox (H), Lallana (H), Keita
      RW - Salah, Shaqiri, Elliot (U21)
      ST - Firmino, Origi, Brewster (U21)
      LW - Mané, Wilson

I still think the teams a versatile LW/ST short ideally, but everywhere else there's cover in the squad.
      Seems the template will be to use the U21/U23 players as understudies at wingback.
      I expect Hoever & Larouci to get Cup games, and hopefully they'll get a proper run.
      Interested to see how Wilson, Brewster & Elliot perform.
      The former two have done enough in pre-season to earn a chance. Again maybe options for the Cups.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Aug 08, 2019 12:54:41 pm
      Looks like, and it always has, we aren't getting that versatile attacker until next summer.
      Tbh I reckon that means we'll probably sell one of the front 3 in order to do so.

Now is the summer of consolidation. Reckon we'll see the like of Salah & Virgil announce new, better paying, contracts.

GK - Alisson, Adrian
      LW - Mané

Been a long time since we've had such a quiet summer.
      At the same time I've longed wondered what past LFC teams would have been capable of if the squad had been kept together.

Only a 21 man squad, which I'd bet is the smallest squad in the league. (Not including youth players in the squad)

My thoughts on this is that Klopp is after a specific player, probably Sancho, and that won't be an option until next summer. Much like with Virgil, this seems to be Klopp holding out for the player that he wants rather than going to the market for the sake of it. It's a gamble short term that hopefully pays off in the long term.

So now we get to look forward to seeing what Ox and Brewster can bring to the squad,
      along with seeing how much more the likes of Keita and Fabinho can offer now they appear to have settled.
      There's an opportunity for Klopp to have a look at Hoever and Larouci this season, which hopefully means they get games in the Cups.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Aug 08, 2019 01:57:58 pm
      Looks like, and it always has, we aren't getting that versatile attacker until next summer.
      Tbh I reckon that means we'll probably sell one of the front 3 in order to do so.

Now is the summer of consolidation. Reckon we'll see the like of Salah & Virgil announce new, better paying, contracts.

GK - Alisson, Adrian
      LW - Mané

At the same time I've longed wondered what past LFC teams would have been capable of if the squad had been kept together.

Only a 21 man squad, which I'd bet is the smallest squad in the league. (Not including youth players in the squad)

My thoughts on this is that Klopp is after a specific player, probably Sancho, and that won't be an option until next summer. Much like with Virgil, this seems to be Klopp holding out for the player that he wants rather than going to the market for the sake of it. It's a gamble short term that hopefully pays off in the long term.

So now we get to look forward to seeing what Ox and Brewster can bring to the squad,
      along with seeing how much more the likes of Keita and Fabinho can offer now they appear to have settled.
      There's an opportunity for Klopp to have a look at Hoever and Larouci this season, which hopefully means they get games in the Cups.

Good list. Looks like Ryan Kent is staying, which is a surprise. If Lovren stays, I guess it will be 22 players over 21.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019 05:03:23 pm by Robby The Z »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #7: Aug 08, 2019 02:05:49 pm

GK - Alisson, Adrian
      LW - Mané

Our squad is in very good shape the best in well over a decade.

Coupled with having one of the top managers in the world.

Agree we will make a couple of big signings next Summer.

My money is in Kai Havertz and either Sancho or Dembele. I don't think we will have to sell any of our star players either we will have the funds.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8: Aug 08, 2019 03:26:59 pm

GK - Alisson, Adrian
      LW - Mané

I can understand waiting for your perfect signing, although its incredibly dangerous as a strategy in case some one else comes after them, they get injured etc, but what about loaning a player for a season just as a stop gap or even signing someone as a stop gap. I think we are vulnerable at LB and LW, otherwise we are probably ok assuming we don't get any injuries to our forward players which must be what Jürgen is banking on.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Aug 08, 2019 04:05:11 pm
      I can understand waiting for your perfect signing, although its incredibly dangerous as a strategy in case some one else comes after them, they get injured etc, but what about loaning a player for a season just as a stop gap or even signing someone as a stop gap. I think we are vulnerable at LB and LW, otherwise we are probably ok assuming we don't get any injuries to our forward players which must be what Jürgen is banking on.

I'd still have liked us to have signed a left sided option.
      Sessegnon leaving Fulham for Spurs is the freshly relegated option that I thought LFC would be in for.
      Could probably do a role at LW or LB. Risky strategy to consolidate now and push for someone later.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #10: Aug 08, 2019 04:51:07 pm

Thought i'd mention this is the spot where i stopped reading this garbage.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Aug 08, 2019 05:09:54 pm

GK - Alisson, Adrian
      LW - Mané

I read right over that bit at the top. We are not selling key players anymore. This is a destination now and top players want to be here more than they have in a long time. Also, we've given just about every key player  new deals in the past 12 months
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Aug 08, 2019 07:17:38 pm
      Maximum of 17 overseas players and I think we have four gaps in the squad that we could have filled - is that correct?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Aug 08, 2019 11:48:21 pm

Thanks for stopping by.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Aug 08, 2019 11:49:07 pm
      Maximum of 17 overseas players and I think we have four gaps in the squad that we could have filled - is that correct?

Yeah, there’s space for 4 more senior players in the squad.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #15: Aug 09, 2019 02:20:35 am
      I read right over that bit at the top. We are not selling key players anymore. This is a destination now and top players want to be here more than they have in a long time. Also, we've given just about every key player  new deals in the past 12 months

When have we purposely sold our best players? Coutinho forced his way out, as did Suarez as did Sterling. A team like Monaco willingly sells their best players to profit and that is not us.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Aug 09, 2019 10:01:46 am
      When have we purposely sold our best players? Coutinho forced his way out, as did Suarez as did Sterling. A team like Monaco willingly sells their best players to profit and that is not us.

Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho.

We've long failed to keep the spine of a team together after competitive seasons.
      This is the first time in over a decade where we've managed to do so.
      Hopefully that bodes well for the season, but the squad is still very small.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #17: Aug 09, 2019 10:07:41 am

Yea, not like it hasn't happened before. :roll:

Looking at the squad Racer posted and while I still think it's very strong LW looks a potential issue.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Aug 09, 2019 10:09:36 am
      Yea, not like it hasn't happened before. :roll:

Looking at the squad Racer posted and while I still think it's very strong LW looks a potential issue.

Definitely think Klopp gambled there.
      It's glaringly weak on that left side. No doubt they've somebody lined up eventually, but leaves the squad exposed until January.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #19: Aug 09, 2019 10:12:32 am
      Definitely think Klopp gambled there.
      It's glaringly weak on that left side. No doubt they've somebody lined up eventually, but leaves the squad exposed until January.

Yea, actually forgot about LB as well.

It's a gamble but despite being a relatively conservative coach in regards to team selections at times Jürgen does like to gamble on fitness of his starters over a season.

No injuries and we'll be fine. Robby or Mane out long term then that's when the decision to gamble might not pay off.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #20: Aug 09, 2019 10:20:34 am
      We don’t really play with left wingers though so whilst it looks weak on paper in regards only Mane there - throughout the season mane , mo and others all interchange etc so I don’t think it’s as weak as it looks but can understand the worry

As for selling to bring one in - nah don’t think we will unless it’s a massive bid and one of them really wants to go
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Aug 09, 2019 11:39:13 am
      We don’t really play with left wingers though so whilst it looks weak on paper in regards only Mane there - throughout the season mane , mo and others all interchange etc so I don’t think it’s as weak as it looks but can understand the worry

As for selling to bring one in - nah don’t think we will unless it’s a massive bid and one of them really wants to go

I think we all know the team doesn't use wingers, but the options on the left side are pretty much utility players filling in the gaps. Milner, Gomez, Lallana, Origi, Shaqiri. Between LB & LF that's probably what we're looking at to fill in the gaps.
      Hopefully Larouci gets some game time in there.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #22: Aug 09, 2019 01:55:23 pm
      Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho.

We've long failed to keep the spine of a team together after competitive seasons.
      This is the first time in over a decade where we've managed to do so.
      Hopefully that bodes well for the season, but the squad is still very small.

Not the question. I know we've had to sell top players, but how many have we sold because we wanted to cash in on them vs. because they forced their way out?

Quick Reply