Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Our 25-man squad for the 2019-20 season

Read 9459 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Our 25-man squad for the 2019-20 season
      Reply #23: Aug 09, 2019 02:16:46 pm
      Not the question. I know we've had to sell top players, but how many have we sold because we wanted to cash in on them vs. because they forced their way out?

My point is that players don't want to leave anymore. You cannot argue that our star didn't fade during the H&G years. The statement he made about funding upcoming buys with the sale of a top player I totally disagree with. That is not how our owners or management team operate. But you can't  forget what we have come out of, that low valley after so many decades of brilliance. A lot of players did force their way out in those years .

This is of course, a thread about our squad this year. Pages and pages about this other stuff on the FSG and Klopp threads .
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2019 02:28:33 pm by Robby The Z »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #24: Aug 09, 2019 02:20:48 pm
      My point is that players don't want to leave anymore. You cannot argue that our star didn't fade during the H&G years. The statement he made about funding upcoming buys with the sale of a top player I totally disagree with. That is not how our owners or management team operate. But you can't  forget what we have come out of, that low valley after so many decades of brilliance. A lot of players didnforce their way out in those years .

This is of course, a thread about our squad this year. Pages and pages about this other stuff on the FSG and Klopp threads .

Me too, and what is what prompted my post/question and what i was responding to (his claim that we'd sell players to fund acquisitions).

In the past 5-ish years, we have sold Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling, and all of them were sold because they forced their way out, not because we wanted to sell to fund other transfers like he claims.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Aug 09, 2019 03:00:43 pm
      Not the question. I know we've had to sell top players, but how many have we sold because we wanted to cash in on them vs. because they forced their way out?

We're in unknow territory now. Whataboutery aside we've not been in this postion before.
      Like I said, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes, but there is no denying that the squad has some holes in it.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Aug 09, 2019 03:52:43 pm
      Think we should've bought a striker. I think Brewster would benefit with a season long loan to somebody like Derby.Get a full season under his belt. He needs it after a long injury.Putting a lot of faith in the front 3 plus Origi.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #27: Aug 10, 2019 06:44:43 pm
      Think we should've bought a striker. I think Brewster would benefit with a season long loan to somebody like Derby.Get a full season under his belt. He needs it after a long injury.Putting a lot of faith in the front 3 plus Origi.

That's probably why Brewster was retained - as cover.  No good if we lose one of the front 3 to injury and he's at Derby (or elsewhere).  I do agree that a loan where he'd play regularly would benefit him (and us) eventually.

I think Jürgen chose this option because he couldn't see the striker he'd want in the market this summer.  Nor could I, except maybe Zaha.

Quick Reply