Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Premier League 2019/20

Read 162253 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Premier League 2019/20
      Reply #1633: Jul 13, 2020 04:30:04 pm
      I think every Ferguson team he created he had a least one if not two class centre-backs.

How long before you get Henderson back from Sheff Utd as he seems to be nailed on as De Gea's replacement.

I've actually mentioned this on another thread and yes, it's imperative for a title challenge. All we have at present is a side that can get in top 3 or 4 next year. When you consider United have been playing some awful football, espically in middle of season I'm very surprised we could now finish 3rd although more than happy with 4th.

Think Henderson will be No 2 next year but if what we read is true ( media ) he wants No 1 status. You can certainly argue on De Gea's last 18 months form he deserves a chance. However, I think Ole will stick with De Gea for now. For all his bad games this year I'm happy to give him another chance as a fan.

That's probably music to your ears.  :D I've seen fair bit of Henderson and still haven't made my mind up about him.. Do you rate him?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1634: Jul 13, 2020 05:16:06 pm
      I'm very surprised we could now finish 3rd although more than happy with 4th.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s anything to do with United suddenly turning a corner. Yes theyā€™ve gotten the points which ultimately is the most important thing but Leicester have taken a complete nose dive in results, I think I read they have 21 points in the last 19 games which is abysmal. Then Chelsea have been very inconsistent too.

I think yous lot, Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and Sheff Utd are all on very much an equal balance in terms of ability with players, but Leicester and Chelsea to an extent just had that period of games, which you are having now, where the results just seemed to fall right, not only in terms of getting the 3 points but also the teams around the same position dropping them and thatā€™s why they got so far ahead and why youā€™ve now suddenly managed to catch up.

Thereā€™s 7 or so teams fighting for 3rd and 4th and itā€™s very hard to say who will get them because there is so little between the teams in terms of points and ability IMO.

I think the most consistent of the teams chasing it has probably been Sheff Utd and Wolves. I donā€™t remember either of them having an extended period of games where the points were just rapidly being lost.

If Leicester lose out then rightly so because they got ahead of themselves, they thought they were challenging for the title and since we silenced them theyā€™ve just jumped off a cliff basically. It wonā€™t be a case of ā€œhard luckā€ if they miss out where as a few of the other teams can probably count themselves quite unlucky.

I've seen fair bit of Henderson and still haven't made my mind up about him.. Do you rate him?

Better than De Gea IMO who can no longer be viewed as a top keeper, heā€™s been poor for a couple of years now, heā€™s nothing more than the average keeper.

But Henderson hasnā€™t proven anything other than heā€™s had a good season. He is playing in a team without pressure, put him in a team like United where there is a high expectation and essentially any slight mistake being scrutinised, that is the real test for him because bouncing back from a mistake in a team with no pressure is a lot easier to do. Making a mistake at a team expected to compete at the top or for trophies, a mistake from one player can be the difference between make or break and you only have to look at Karius to see how he cost us the CL and heā€™s never recovered.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2020 05:28:09 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1635: Jul 13, 2020 05:46:26 pm
      I donā€™t think thatā€™s anything to do with United suddenly turning a corner. Yes theyā€™ve gotten the points which ultimately is the most important thing but Leicester have taken a complete nose dive in results, I think I read they have 21 points in the last 19 games which is abysmal. Then Chelsea have been very inconsistent too.

I think yous lot, Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves and Sheff Utd are all on very much an equal balance in terms of ability with players, but Leicester and Chelsea to an extent just had that period of games, which you are having now, where the results just seemed to fall right, not only in terms of getting the 3 points but also the teams around the same position dropping them and thatā€™s why they got so far ahead and why youā€™ve now suddenly managed to catch up.

Thereā€™s 7 or so teams fighting for 3rd and 4th and itā€™s very hard to say who will get them because there is so little between the teams in terms of points and ability IMO.

I think the most consistent of the teams chasing it has probably been Sheff Utd and Wolves. I donā€™t remember either of them having an extended period of games where the points were just rapidly being lost.

If Leicester lose out then rightly so because they got ahead of themselves, they thought they were challenging for the title and since we silenced them theyā€™ve just jumped off a cliff basically. It wonā€™t be a case of ā€œhard luckā€ if they miss out where as a few of the other teams can probably count themselves quite unlucky.

Better than De Gea IMO who can no longer be viewed as a top keeper, heā€™s been poor for a couple of years now, heā€™s nothing more than the average keeper.

But Henderson hasnā€™t proven anything other than heā€™s had a good season. He is playing in a team without pressure, put him in a team like United where there is a high expectation and essentially any slight mistake being scrutinised, that is the real test for him because bouncing back from a mistake in a team with no pressure is a lot easier to do. Making a mistake at a team expected to compete at the top or for trophies, a mistake from one player can be the difference between make or break and you only have to look at Karius to see how he cost us the CL and heā€™s never recovered.

Like many will say, someone's downfall another person/team gain  :D and that's exactly what United have done. Like I've said though not getting carried away with it as you know just enjoying the moment.

We both know although United improving long way to go before we catch you guys up, espically if you have another season like this one.

Re Henderson.. This is my thought process too. Doing it for Sheffield your never really under that much pressure but United different matter. Can he take it with 75,000 fans looking down at him. Won't be easy that for sure. I'll keep open minded though..

Ps.. good post.  :)
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #1636: Jul 13, 2020 07:49:34 pm
      F**k about Utd fercriisssakes
      Cmon Ingsy..we sh*t on you a bit..but we,re really rooting for you
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1637: Jul 13, 2020 08:17:51 pm
      Ings is that backup striker we are missing out on... 😂

Glad heā€™s getting his chance to show what heā€™s all about though, and hope it continues for a long time to come, just not against us.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1638: Jul 13, 2020 08:32:34 pm
      Luke Shaw is looking a bit plump...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1639: Jul 13, 2020 08:52:01 pm
      I think every Ferguson team he created he had a least one if not two class centre-backs.

How long before you get Henderson back from Sheff Utd as he seems to be nailed on as De Gea's replacement.

I just can't see that happening, not sure Henderson is good enough yet. Also De Gea is on a big wage for a long time so United will be stuck with him until the runs down now, and I cant imagine Ed Woodward being happy his 300k a week keeper being on the bench.

United look a lot better now, but like I've said to a few of my Manc pals the landscape has changed from their glory days in that 3 losses in a season probably rules you out of a title these days. Not sure if they have that consistency  yet.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,010 posts | 2735 
      Reply #1640: Jul 13, 2020 10:10:03 pm
      Considering they got beat 9-0 at home earlier the season, Hasenhuttl has done really well to turn Southampton around.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1641: Jul 15, 2020 05:56:47 pm
      So, what are we making of the fact they're extending the five subs rule for next season?

City have obviously got a stronger bench than us, no offence Div, and they can bring on five quality players to replace, erm, quality players. Us aside though and what with recent events regarding ffp it's a bit sh*t for the teams lower down the league if the 'big boys' can just bring on half a team isn't it?

I think it's another joke decision that will only increase the chances of super rich clubs like City with Ā£500 million benches winning tight games.

Between this and the ffp farce I'm starting to lose faith in the future of football.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,756 posts | 238 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1642: Jul 15, 2020 06:43:16 pm
      So, what are we making of the fact they're extending the five subs rule for next season?

I am not a fan of it even though we do benefit more for it as we have bigger squad than majority of side but it does punish smaller clubs.

So I assume if they are keeping 5 subs does that mean they will still keep 9 players on the bench? (I believe the 9 players on the bench is worst than the ability to use 5 subs)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1643: Jul 15, 2020 08:09:11 pm
      Burnley getting more luck today!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1644: Jul 15, 2020 08:13:58 pm

Ultimate sh*t house team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1645: Jul 15, 2020 08:16:22 pm
      https://mobile.twitter.com/Klobo15/status/1283475467513868294

Very harsh. Thatā€™s more dangerous play than a penalty.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1646: Jul 15, 2020 09:31:14 pm

City have obviously got a stronger bench than us, no offence Div, and they can bring on five quality players to replace, erm, quality players. Us aside though and what with recent events regarding ffp it's a bit sh*t for the teams lower down the league if the 'big boys' can just bring on half a team isn't it?
      Donā€™t like it, only way Iā€™d kinda get on board would be if two of the subs HAD to be youth players.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,827 posts | 701 
      Reply #1647: Jul 15, 2020 11:41:03 pm
      Quote from bazspeedman
      I think it's another joke decision that will only increase the chances of super rich clubs like City with Ā£500 million benches winning tight games.

Between this and the ffp farce I'm starting to lose faith in the future of football.

City have lost 9 league games this season.

Because subs are restricted to 3 timeslots, there is no more disruption than before, and I haven't noticed the extra subs used very much, in the EPL or other leagues.

Since the days of 2 subs allowed max, the biggest clubs have always had the strongest squads, with enough quality replacements to throw on to get the desired result, if required. That will still be the case with this rule.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1648: Jul 16, 2020 12:26:52 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1649: Jul 16, 2020 12:33:13 pm

and I haven't noticed the extra subs used very much, in the EPL or other leagues.

That's strange as I have watched lots of games since the restart with 5 subs used by teams in most games.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1650: Jul 16, 2020 12:39:48 pm
      City have lost 9 league games this season.

Because subs are restricted to 3 timeslots, there is no more disruption than before, and I haven't noticed the extra subs used very much, in the EPL or other leagues.

Since the days of 2 subs allowed max, the biggest clubs have always had the strongest squads, with enough quality replacements to throw on to get the desired result, if required. That will still be the case with this rule.

Sorry but your logic on the extra subs makes no sense to me. Obviously a stronger bench benefits stronger teams but won't 5 subs benefit teams with stronger squads even more than 3 subs??

It's a stupid decision to allow 5 subs anyone with cop on can see that.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1651: Jul 16, 2020 01:05:10 pm
      Sorry but your logic on the extra subs makes no sense to me. Obviously a stronger bench benefits stronger teams but won't 5 subs benefit teams with stronger squads even more than 3 subs??

Think it's pretty obvious he doesn't watch games properly  :f_doh:  :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,827 posts | 701 
      Reply #1652: Jul 17, 2020 03:08:15 pm
      Quote from bazspeedman

The 5 subs was brought in to protect player welfare, and given the amount of injuries since the resumption, it was the right thing to do. We alone, had 2 new injured players from the first game back. Others have got injured since. It's not like international friendlies, where the subs are every couple of minutes, destroying the rest of the game.

4 subs are already available for teams who have to play extra time games. Now everyone can make a maximum of 5 subs at 3 intervals. It's not that one team can make 5 subs and another one can't. But the biggest clubs will always have the strongest squads, have better quality players available than other clubs, and will use them as required.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1653: Jul 17, 2020 03:27:29 pm
      The 5 subs was brought in to protect player welfare, and given the amount of injuries since the resumption, it was the right thing to do. We alone, had 2 new injured players from the first game back. Others have got injured since. It's not like international friendlies, where the subs are every couple of minutes, destroying the rest of the game.

4 subs are already available for teams who have to play extra time games. Now everyone can make a maximum of 5 subs at 3 intervals. It's not that one team can make 5 subs and another one can't. But the biggest clubs will always have the strongest squads, have better quality players available than other clubs, and will use them as required.

Nope sorry I still don't agree with the 5 subs rule. I understand why it was brought in after the restart of course for fitness reasons due to the exceptional number of games that had to be played in a short space of time.

But it should return to 3 subs that can be made at any point in the game like it always was in the interest of fairness for smaller clubs who at times struggle to even get 8 players on a bench.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,756 posts | 238 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1654: Jul 17, 2020 09:36:13 pm
      So it is official that Leeds Utd are back up after 16 years. Looking forward to Bielsa in the Premiership
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1655: Jul 17, 2020 11:01:08 pm
      So it is official that Leeds Utd are back up after 16 years. Looking forward to Bielsa in the Premiership

It's official... The scum are back.

Quick Reply