Trending Topics

Next match: v LFC [League Cup] Tue 17th Dec @ 7:45 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 15th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W13 D5 L5

Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?

Read 33681 times
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,800 posts | 2115 
      Re: Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?
      Reply #175: Aug 06, 2019 09:15:44 pm
      Since when have Spurs been our rivals?

1st June 2019
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,259 posts | 530 
      Reply #176: Aug 06, 2019 09:18:43 pm

Nonsense - they aren’t a rival
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,800 posts | 2115 
      Reply #177: Aug 06, 2019 09:21:55 pm

They've finished ahead of us most seasons in recent years, so of course they are a rival and they and Man Utd have significantly strengthened this summer compared to us.
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #178: Aug 06, 2019 09:51:06 pm
      Don't why people write off spurs or even aresanl both good teams add good players, think going be lot harder win league these year, we not add to team
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,156 posts | 549 
      Reply #179: Aug 06, 2019 10:41:07 pm
      Since when have Spurs been our rivals?

Have you forgotten last season already?  ;)
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #180: Aug 06, 2019 11:23:25 pm
      Think we can win league but only if play u23 play fa cup or league cup games try keep first 11 fresh, for premier league because we can't afford any big injuries to best players way city can get way with few injuries still win league
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #181: Aug 06, 2019 11:24:48 pm
      Think spurs could be lot stronger these year league going lot stronger these year top 6 teams in league
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,666 posts | 516 
      Reply #182: Aug 07, 2019 03:57:51 pm
      Quote from DanMann
      Although we drew the match yesterday, Man City won the Shield via penalties. At the end of the day, Man City walk away winners, and got the better of us. That's what it's about. That's what happened last season. 1 point. We played better than them for much of the season, and arguably better in the head to head, but Man City picked up the trophy.

So have we closed the gap? Evidently not. Not yet

Because we missed one penalty?

I think the game indicated that any gap between the sides is minute, and could go either way on a given day. They have won just 2 of the past 13 games against us, where penalties don't count.

The bigger question is can we go toe to toe with them again after deciding not to strengthen the squad during this transfer window. Can we play Spurs and the mancs during the post-Christmas hangover and take 6 points? Can we go to Arsenal and play Chelsea in the run in and take another 6 points? Because we will probably have to do all that, and win over 30 games just to get the chance to go to Newcastle and win the league.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,188 posts | 285 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #183: Aug 07, 2019 04:01:33 pm
      They've finished ahead of us most seasons in recent years, so of course they are a rival and they and Man Utd have significantly strengthened this summer compared to us.

Manu are a mess. Mcguire improves them, but thats it.

and then theres the big names wanting out.

Its brilliant tbh.  :lmao:
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,800 posts | 2115 
      Reply #184: Aug 07, 2019 04:04:35 pm
      Manu are a mess. Mcguire improves them, but thats it.

and then theres the big names wanting out.

Its brilliant tbh.  :lmao:

Don't underestimate Man Utd, they have 2 new top class defenders, a pretty good midfield and very nice attack. Their main weakness right now is the numpty in charge but make no mistake, they are a better team than last season.
      Then you have Spurs who have definitely improved in this transfer window, especially now with Dybala if that goes through.
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2019 04:09:22 pm by heimdall »
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,188 posts | 285 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #185: Aug 07, 2019 04:12:52 pm
      Spuds will probably close the gap to us & City. But cant see the others getting close.

Arsenal still have a dodgy defense, Chelsea have lost the main man hazard, and havent been able to replace due to transfer ban.

Everton spending like F@@k just to do nothing as per. :lmao:

I do fancy wolves to do well again, maybe even push into the top 6.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,188 posts | 285 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #186: Aug 07, 2019 04:15:02 pm
      Don't underestimate Man Utd, they have 2 new top class defenders, a pretty good midfield and very nice attack. Their main weakness right now is the numpty in charge but make no mistake, they are a better team than last season.
      Then you have Spurs who have definitely improved in this transfer window, especially now with Dybala if that goes through.

Nah, theyre garbage.

I can see them losing pogba & lukaku last minute deadline day, they couldnt even get erikson deal over the line.

Then you have sanchez just ripping them for a fortune ever day.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,585 posts | 1359 
      Reply #187: Aug 07, 2019 04:17:48 pm

United are still in a mess. Very short of quality in midfield and in forward areas a lot of okay forwards but nothing close to what we or City can boast.

They still seem to have a bloated squad of average players in defence.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,564 posts | 3843 
      Reply #188: Aug 15, 2019 06:25:44 pm

So that's a no then!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,564 posts | 3843 
      Reply #189: Aug 15, 2019 06:28:28 pm

You mean overrated defenders, a over hyped midfield and even less cover for their forwards.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,800 posts | 2115 
      Reply #190: Aug 16, 2019 08:36:34 am
      You mean overrated defenders, a over hyped midfield and even less cover for their forwards.

Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday. Seriously don't underestimate Manure, they are not a direct threat to us this season but they have strengthened and are stronger, certainly in defence. If they can be sensible in their recruitment over the next few seasons then it won't be long before they are knocking on the door again, but I expect it all to implode for them at some point in the season simply because I don't rate Solskjaer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,350 posts | 4004 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #191: Aug 16, 2019 09:11:09 am
      Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday.

Now compare the two very different line ups Chelsea had over the two games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,809 posts | 2459 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #192: Aug 16, 2019 10:42:22 am
      Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday.

Kante and Pulisic will make a massive difference to Chelsea, which they did when they started v LFC.
      Same with Giroud, but not to the same extent as Kante.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,564 posts | 3843 
      Reply #193: Aug 17, 2019 12:56:54 pm
      Kante and Pulisic will make a massive difference to Chelsea, which they did when they started v LFC.
      Same with Giroud, but not to the same extent as Kante.

Those three are the only real threat Chelsea have. Kante is brilliant at what he does, Giroud's always been a good striker and Pulisic does look a threat. After that though there is nothing much else there, for Mason Mount, we could easily point to Harry Wilson who was even more impressive than Mount was at Derby!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,564 posts | 3843 
      Reply #194: Aug 17, 2019 12:58:43 pm
      Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday. Seriously don't underestimate Manure, they are not a direct threat to us this season but they have strengthened and are stronger, certainly in defence. If they can be sensible in their recruitment over the next few seasons then it won't be long before they are knocking on the door again, but I expect it all to implode for them at some point in the season simply because I don't rate Solskjaer.

And that right there at the end is why Utd don't worry me. Ole at the wheel and Woodward doing all the buying & selling, they're not exactly Ferguson and Gill.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,809 posts | 2459 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #195: Aug 19, 2019 10:45:50 am
      Those three are the only real threat Chelsea have. Kante is brilliant at what he does, Giroud's always been a good striker and Pulisic does look a threat. After that though there is nothing much else there, for Mason Mount, we could easily point to Harry Wilson who was even more impressive than Mount was at Derby!!

Wilson in on the goals already.

Hazard a huge loss for Chelsea though. Not going to replace that contribution with the likes of Mount & Barkley though.
      Pulisic has some potential, but then Chelsea have no immediate answer to the loss of Hazard.

Would be like LFC selling Salah and bringing in nobody.
      Borg
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 171 posts | 52 
      Reply #196: Aug 19, 2019 01:30:46 pm
      United are still in a mess. Very short of quality in midfield and in forward areas a lot of okay forwards but nothing close to what we or City can boast.

They still seem to have a bloated squad of average players in defence.

Four games into the new year (2 PL + 2 Cups) and LFC's midfield has accomplished nothing and some might argue this grouping might be the team's achilles. Like all of last season, Klopp initiates his offense from the back line, mostly bypassing a midfield group who don't score or set up up the front 3. This formula was effective during the 2018-19 campaign but the mids defensive style has been ineffective in the first 2 weeks.
      My question: Who will produce more goals this year: LFC's  Mids or their back line?
      As of now: Back line 2 (VvD, Matip), Mids 0
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,188 posts | 285 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #197: Aug 19, 2019 01:35:08 pm
      Four games into the new year (2 PL + 2 Cups) and LFC's midfield has accomplished nothing and some might argue this grouping might be the team's achilles. Like all of last season, Klopp initiates his offense from the back line, mostly bypassing a midfield group who don't score or set up up the front 3. This formula was effective during the 2018-19 campaign but the mids defensive style has been ineffective in the first 2 weeks.
      My question: Who will produce more goals this year: LFC's  Mids or their back line?
      As of now: Back line 2 (VvD, Matip), Mids 0

Accomplished nothing you say ?

I say 6 points (top of league) & won a super cup, and an early season bonus of 2 points ahead of city.

Who cares where the goals come from.
      ozi_wozzy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,479 posts | 257 
      Reply #198: Aug 20, 2019 09:39:10 am

Not sure mate, I think Willian, Pedro and Jorginho are pretty good quality too. They'll take time to get going. A top class manager would have a very decent team to aim for top 4, but a lot depends on if Lampard can cut it in the prem. My gut feel is it's too soon for him, which I'm happy about mind you as I despise almost everything Chelsea stand for. Still my second most hated team in the pl.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,447 posts | 2040 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #199: Aug 20, 2019 11:40:56 am
      Not sure mate, I think Willian, Pedro and Jorginho are pretty good quality too. They'll take time to get going. A top class manager would have a very decent team to aim for top 4, but a lot depends on if Lampard can cut it in the prem. My gut feel is it's too soon for him, which I'm happy about mind you as I despise almost everything Chelsea stand for. Still my second most hated team in the pl.

I agree, those 6 alone are quality and have for the most part Epl experience, add a few other stand outs and they are a decent outfit, decent enough to take points off top sides,
      Although I agree they have some way to go to match us Spuds or Shitty,

Its a long long season for them especially, question is can those 6 stay Injury free and stay the course, my answer to that is no, so I doubt whether they will be top 5,
      but short term they could inflict some damage.

YNWA

Quick Reply