Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?

Read 69325 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?
      Reply #23: Jul 26, 2019 03:26:02 pm

Origi now has a defined role.....target in the box and clutch shooter. Physically, the man is massive and will be an enticing target for Robertson and Trent. Outside the box, Origi brings little. Lack of ball carrying/passing skills.

Klopp's 2018-19 style of play certainly played a factor in this group's low goal total.

Origi played wide left on a number of occasions last season.
      He's also not "massive" (That would be VVD)
      He's 6'1" and 12 stone, which is light for a footballer.

Last season we scored more goals and conceded fewer than the season before.

It might be an idea to check these things before making a judgement.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Jul 26, 2019 04:04:51 pm
      I disagree with that. How many minutes did Moreno get last year? not much above zero so he doesn't really count. I imagine his spot can easily be taken by Lewis/Larouci/Hoever on the roster.

As for Sturridge, he mainly got the crumbs at the end of the game with the very rate start so Brewster getting those minutes is hardly a weakening of the squad.

I think you are selling Origi a bit short. He scored massive goals for us and has continued to score this pre-season with 3 more so i think he is going to be a valued contributor in the upcoming season.

What i would say is that we haven't improved the team with transfers and we're hoping it will improve organically and i think that is a risk. I still maintain a winger would be a long way to getting us that evasive title.

It’s not so much the amount Moreno and Sturridge played, more the fact we had the option.
      Let’s not forget Sturridge smashed pre season last year and was playing well when he was playing, it was just Xmas onwards he then dropped right off.

But look at the time Origi played between the winner vs Everton and the Barca game, he scored once(?) and he could have won us the game vs West Ham. Largely his overall performance I think was quite average. I think the Barca game is the only game I can actually think of where I think, yeah he played damn good. Doesn’t take away the importance of his goals though. But I think it’s a significant drop in quality from our first choice 3, where as City have all 6 of their attack at a similar, very high level and I think we should have been looking to bridge that gap one way or another.

But like I say, it’s the options we had that we now don’t and we can analyse games all day, doesn’t change anything. I just hope that the squad we go with is a well justified squad.
      « Last Edit: Jul 26, 2019 04:23:11 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25: Jul 26, 2019 04:06:14 pm
      We will be neck and neck with City for the league again. Our squad is good enough to win, and So is City's.

Maybe we will still bring someone in, but it will ultimately come down to tactical preparation, team management and player performance.

We're in the competition and now we play the matches.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #26: Jul 26, 2019 04:17:35 pm
      Origi played wide left on a number of occasions last season.
      He's also not "massive" (That would be VVD)
      He's 6'1" and 12 stone, which is light for a footballer.

I remember watching a game last year and the analyst commenting how strong Divock is and opponents bouncing off of him and/or not being able to push him off the ball.

I have high hopes for him this season, but really do not want to see him out on the wing. Just think he is much better centrally.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #27: Jul 26, 2019 04:23:05 pm
      It’s not so much the amount Moreno and Sturridge played, more the fact we had the option.
      Let’s not forget Sturridge smashed pre season last year and was playing well when he was playing, it was just Xmas onwards he then dropped right off.

But like I say, it’s the options we had that we now don’t.

Oh i'm a Sturridge fan and spent many a post defending him (some clown accused him of "stealing money" because he was hurt) and agree with your assessment of his play, but given how little he actually did play (i think 2 league starts all year?), and if we are thinking in terms of options, that Brewster is just as good an option to have for that limited about of playing time.

Likewise, i think Lewis/Larouci/Hoever are as good an option as Moreno was given you and i were more likely to get a start than he did.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #28: Jul 26, 2019 04:27:25 pm
      Oh i'm a Sturridge fan and spent many a post defending him (some clown accused him of "stealing money" because he was hurt) and agree with your assessment of his play, but given how little he actually did play (i think 2 league starts all year?), and if we are thinking in terms of options, that Brewster is just as good an option to have for that limited about of playing time.

Likewise, i think Lewis/Larouci/Hoever are as good an option as Moreno was given you and i were more likely to get a start than he did.

Don’t get me wrong, Brewster could turn out to be a revelation, as could any of the youngsters, it’s just a concern I have because we know that physically Sturridge can hold his own, he won’t be beaten off the ball easily and we know he can score goals. But the thing Brewster, Hoever etc all have in common, is that they are all completely unknown quantities at first team level and we’ve seen so many times before what can happen to a player with potential when trying to make the step up.

I’d just have liked us to add that something extra to the team; a recognised and proven goal scorer to cover and truly compete with the front 3. But then, every transfer is a gamble so whatever we go with is a case of wait and see. The good thing we’ve seen of Brewster so far is that he seems determined to make it and he’s always looking to follow in on a shot. It’s just whether he can adapt his game to play as and when needed and different areas of the attack.

As it goes, I really rate Adam Lewis, his left foot is boss. But it concerns me that he’s not playing a bit more than he has so far in pre-season.

But are these youngsters good enough to help us bridge the gap to City? It’s a tough ask.
      « Last Edit: Jul 26, 2019 04:32:12 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29: Jul 26, 2019 04:28:29 pm
      I remember watching a game last year and the analyst commenting how strong Divock is and opponents bouncing off of him and/or not being able to push him off the ball.

I have high hopes for him this season, but really do not want to see him out on the wing. Just think he is much better centrally.

He's quite strong, especially for a player on the lighter side, but he's not "massive", which is the point I was making.
      VVD on the other hand, really is massive.

Klopp likes his forwards to be able to play across the front line.
      Origi plays on the left sometimes because then he can cut in and shoot with his right, something we've seen him do quite a lot of.

I like him, and if he adds consistency to his game he can do a good job for us.
      Decent in the air, pacey, an eye for goal, good shot on him. Decent passer, and brings others into the game as well.
      He could bully defenders in the box a bit more, and really use his strength, and he could maybe bulk up a bit, but that's in an ideal world.
      He has the tools to do well, and hopefully his confidence is through the roof after the CL win and new contract.

At 24, it's really time for him to kick on to the next level, ad if he can do that, we're well set this season for at least one backup attacker.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Jul 26, 2019 04:31:07 pm
      Don’t get me wrong, Brewster could turn out to be a revelation, as could any of the youngsters, it’s just a concern I have because we know that physically Sturridge can hold his own, he won’t be beaten off the ball easily and we know he can score goals. But the thing Brewster, Hoever etc all have in common, is that they are all completely unknown quantities at first team level and we’ve seen so many times before what can happen to a player with potential when trying to make the step up.

I’d just have liked us to add that something extra to the team; a recognised and proven goal scorer to cover and truly compete with the front 3. But then, every transfer is a gamble so whatever we go with is a case of wait and see.

There's a lot to admire about Sturridge's ability, but it infuriated me the way he slowed everything down when he came deep.

Regarding Brewster, if Klopp thinks he's ready and can do a job, that's good enough for me.
      Everything I've heard about him, and what I've seen says to me he could be something special, but as ever with the youngsters, only time will tell.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #31: Jul 26, 2019 06:31:55 pm
      In all honesty we can’t close the gap. We are just the best prepared of the rest to take advantage when/if they start to weaken.

We need City to have peaked and to be on the decline. That's the way I see it unfortunately

Give up now then!!
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #32: Jul 26, 2019 06:40:55 pm
      There's a lot to admire about Sturridge's ability, but it infuriated me the way he slowed everything down when he came deep.

Regarding Brewster, if Klopp thinks he's ready and can do a job, that's good enough for me.
      Everything I've heard about him, and what I've seen says to me he could be something special, but as ever with the youngsters, only time will tell.

Same here. There were times he was in our half and would go into the attacking half carrying the ball and would slow things down. I have no idea why he was coming so deep, his finishing skills are best used near and inside the box, not carrying the ball from one side to the other.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #33: Jul 26, 2019 08:07:55 pm

Quote from Swab
      So, we'll have a better idea of progress after one match which is little more than a pre-season friendly?

The gap between City and Chelsea was demonstrated in last year's Shield. The current gap between us and City, if there is one, will be shown next week. It will be 2 full strength sides available playing a competitive game, not both teams changing 11 players at half time, as per the average pre-season friendly.

If we win it, we will know we're ready to challenge them again over 38 games. If we take our recent friendly form into the game, then we'll pretty much know where we stand in relation to them.
      « Last Edit: Jul 26, 2019 09:37:42 pm by 7-King Kenny-7, Reason: This isn’t a topic about VAR! »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #34: Jul 26, 2019 08:51:17 pm
      Based on the fact you haven't improved the squad I would say no. Look on
      the bright side though. United are still a couple of years behind you so plenty of comfort there.  ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Jul 26, 2019 08:59:30 pm
      The gap between City and Chelsea was demonstrated in last year's Shield. The current gap between us and City, if there is one, will be shown next week. It will be 2 full strength sides available playing a competitive game, not both teams changing 11 players at half time, as per the average pre-season friendly.

If we win it, we will know we're ready to challenge them again over 38 games. If we take our recent friendly form into the game, then we'll pretty much know where we stand in relation to them.

Fella, if you think a one off pre-season match, which is little more than a friendly, shows anything other than who is closer to form on that particular day, then you know sod all about football.

It means F**k all, and you can wum about it all you want, but that's the bottom line.
      It. Means. F**k. All.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Jul 26, 2019 09:01:43 pm
      Based on the fact you haven't improved the squad I would say no. Look on
      the bright side though. United are still a couple of years behind you so plenty of comfort there.  ;D

I dunno Keith, a big trophy has a massive effect on a squad like ours.
      First one in the bag, and it's arguably the biggest of them all.
      That's a huge confidence boost, plus the experience factor we now have of knowing (from last season) that we can grind out results.
      It's not always about adding players, and our best ones are hitting their prime.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Jul 26, 2019 09:14:45 pm
      Fella, if you think a one off pre-season match, which is little more than a friendly, shows anything other than who is closer to form on that particular day, then you know sod all about football.

It means f**k all, and you can wum about it all you want, but that's the bottom line.
      It. Means. F**k. All.

Not to mention it won't be our full strength side. Sadio not involved and Bobby and Mo will not be fully fit.  I'm sure City will be short of full strength as well.

Gotta love The age of universal punditry.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #38: Jul 26, 2019 09:38:31 pm

Except it’s not 2 full strengths sides because we won’t be at full strength! Mane won’t be playing, Shaqiri and Keita are both injured.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39: Jul 27, 2019 12:48:28 am
      I think we’re going F***ing steam roll every c**t we face..

I’ll swerve the domestic cups & blood the youth in those competitions & Guly concentrate on the league & Europe..

We have a title to defend & a couple to obtain..

Jan is when we will strengthen ,hopefully we will be 10 points clear ahead from the 2nd team in the league..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #40: Jul 27, 2019 01:11:34 am
      I’ll swerve the domestic cups & blood the youth in those competitions & Guly concentrate on the league & Europe..

So we haven't closed the gap, they are in a position where they don't have to swerve a competition to stand a better chance in another.

Liverpool Football Club didn't gain so much success by swerving certain competitions and we should be looking to get the team into a position where we shouldn't even be considering it. What's the point in trying to push the youngsters through in them games for the sake of 1 game, maybe 2 games at most in the relevant cup? You need to push the youngsters on in the right way, integrating them in a proper way, not just using them because we don't give a toss about a couple of the domestic competitions.

City want to win every competition possible, us throwing away certain ones in the hope of getting the better of them in another is embarrassing to be honest. The Carabao Cup obviously has no real significance, but you better believe I still want us to be the ones lifting it, along with every other trophy too.

hopefully we will be 10 points clear ahead from the 2nd team in the league.

Hope you're right!!!
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2019 01:52:42 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Essex Mingle
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #41: Jul 27, 2019 08:26:52 am

Why give up? We have to play it out to see if City ARE still as strong...

A devastating injury to a big City players could throw them off track or a massive FFP court case. Loads could happen to peg them back.

However, my point is if nothing happens to them, they are so strong they could even drop 6-9 points from last years total and win the league. There needs to be a sizable drop in form for anyone to catch them

ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #42: Jul 27, 2019 09:38:03 am
      Not to mention it won't be our full strength side. Sadio not involved and Bobby and Mo will not be fully fit.  I'm sure City will be short of full strength as well.

Gotta love The age of universal punditry.

No it doesn’t mean anything but it is still a high profile game. If we get hammered - and sadly I can see that happening based on our form and the respective starting XIs - then it could affect confidence going into the league

For whatever reason City have a thing about us - their players were singing about us after they won the league ffs - so they will be fired up and want the make a statement ... if we turn up with a mixture of youth players and half fit regulars then I can see them scoring quite a few

Like you say the game itself is just a friendly - but it’s a high profile friendly, and we need to make sure that the players are in a good frame of mind when we take on Norwich
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #43: Jul 27, 2019 09:42:54 am
      Except it’s not 2 full strengths sides because we won’t be at full strength! Mane won’t be playing, Shaqiri and Keita are both injured.

Firmino, Salah and Allison will have only been training for around a week so we might not see them either
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #44: Jul 27, 2019 09:50:07 am
      Quoting an extract from an article on the BBC website about the amount of game time our attacking players have played versus City:

“And there must be a concern that a heavy workload last season, plus their summer matches, means Liverpool's key players could be at risk of burnout this term.

Mane, for instance, racked up 4,306 minutes of club football last season. Only 18 outfield players in Europe's top five leagues played more in all competitions - Salah being one of them (4,337).

The Senegalese played a further 944 minutes of international football in 10 games since August 2018.

Mane and Salah played more minutes than any City forward last season, despite Guardiola's side still being involved in four competitions until 18 April, when they were knocked out of the Champions League by Tottenham.

City's busiest attacker was Sterling, who clocked up 4,096 minutes, but the most games he played in a row was 10 - a stark contrast to Salah's run of 50 consecutive appearances. City also had six forwards who played more than 2,000 minutes. Liverpool only had three, who were all way over the 3,000 mark.“
      Essex Mingle
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #45: Jul 27, 2019 09:58:18 am
      Quoting an extract from an article on the BBC website about the amount of game time our attacking players have played versus City:

“And there must be a concern that a heavy workload last season, plus their summer matches, means Liverpool's key players could be at risk of burnout this term.

Mane, for instance, racked up 4,306 minutes of club football last season. Only 18 outfield players in Europe's top five leagues played more in all competitions - Salah being one of them (4,337).

The Senegalese played a further 944 minutes of international football in 10 games since August 2018.

Mane and Salah played more minutes than any City forward last season, despite Guardiola's side still being involved in four competitions until 18 April, when they were knocked out of the Champions League by Tottenham.

City's busiest attacker was Sterling, who clocked up 4,096 minutes, but the most games he played in a row was 10 - a stark contrast to Salah's run of 50 consecutive appearances. City also had six forwards who played more than 2,000 minutes. Liverpool only had three, who were all way over the 3,000 mark.“

That sounds bad but in real terms how significant is it? What's the real chance burnout will happen?

Quick Reply