Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?

Read 69336 times
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Re: Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?
      Reply #46: Jul 27, 2019 10:07:42 am
      That sounds bad but in real terms how significant is it? What's the real chance burnout will happen?

I think it’s worse than those stats suggest - City typically ‘won’ most of their matches last season before the 60-minute mark in a game ... by comparison we won most of ours much later in games, which meant that our players were playing at a higher intensity for longer. A lot of those minutes Sterling clocked up will have been when they were already 3-0 / 4-0 up and the pace was played at a much more leisurely level.

We are almost certainly going to have more games this season than we did last season due to the world club championship and the super cup.

I think it would be sensible to rest Mane until at least mid September because if the risk of burn out but I’m not sure we can afford that luxury
      Essex Mingle
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #47: Jul 27, 2019 10:48:24 am
      I think it’s worse than those stats suggest - City typically ‘won’ most of their matches last season before the 60-minute mark in a game ... by comparison we won most of ours much later in games, which meant that our players were playing at a higher intensity for longer. A lot of those minutes Sterling clocked up will have been when they were already 3-0 / 4-0 up and the pace was played at a much more leisurely level.

We are almost certainly going to have more games this season than we did last season due to the world club championship and the super cup.

I think it would be sensible to rest Mane until at least mid September because if the risk of burn out but I’m not sure we can afford that luxury

In which case not adding to the squad seems a risk.

But we have to believe in the manager and his sports science staff know what they are doing
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #48: Jul 27, 2019 11:01:44 am
      I remember watching a game last year and the analyst commenting how strong Divock is and opponents bouncing off of him and/or not being able to push him off the ball.

I have high hopes for him this season, but really do not want to see him out on the wing. Just think he is much better centrally.

I think you are correct that Origi is better centrally so that should give some cover for Bobby and I want to see JĂźrgen play him instead of playing Bobby even when he's clearly not fit, but what about Sadio and Salah, can Brewster cover for them or is he also more central. Its quality cover for our 2 main goal scorers which we desperately need, we need a top quality wide forward who can play either flank, if we get that then YES we have strengthened, otherwise its probably more or less the same level as last year, stronger in midfield but with more risk in attack to injuries, burn out etc.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #49: Jul 27, 2019 12:57:05 pm
      Based on the fact you haven't improved the squad I would say no. Look on
      the bright side though. United are still a couple of years behind you so plenty of comfort there.  ;D

Things I'm genuinely not arsed about this season is whatever is going on at Snake Mountain.

Considering we finished within two points and took them down to last game of the season to decide the league, I'd say gap has been closed already.
      Essex Mingle
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #50: Jul 27, 2019 01:13:10 pm
      Things I'm genuinely not arsed about this season is whatever is going on at Snake Mountain.

Considering we finished within two points and took them down to last game of the season to decide the league, I'd say gap has been closed already.

Based on this; you think we'll run a similar race then?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #51: Jul 27, 2019 01:24:39 pm
      Based on this; you think we'll run a similar race then?

I don't know, I try not to predict. I Just go the game, get behind the lads and hopefully see them make that extra step to go on and become champions.

But I don't give up before the season has even kicked off!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #52: Jul 27, 2019 01:29:39 pm
      We may lose 4 or 5 games and still win the league. City can only field 11 players like all the other teams and its up to the other  teams in the league not to lie down and play dead when they come up against them
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #53: Jul 27, 2019 01:51:23 pm
      If we look at why City dominated it's really because they've been able to field two first XIs without any significant drop off in quality.

City didn’t dominate or walk the league. We had a significantly different squad from them and yet we pushed them all the way. It was down to that head to head league game with them that they won the league. We are not too far off. Ok. Were.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #54: Jul 27, 2019 02:35:05 pm
      No it doesn’t mean anything but it is still a high profile game. If we get hammered - and sadly I can see that happening based on our form and the respective starting XIs - then it could affect confidence going into the league

For whatever reason City have a thing about us - their players were singing about us after they won the league ffs - so they will be fired up and want the make a statement ... if we turn up with a mixture of youth players and half fit regulars then I can see them scoring quite a few

Like you say the game itself is just a friendly - but it’s a high profile friendly, and we need to make sure that the players are in a good frame of mind when we take on Norwich
      .it is a game worth winning, we all want to win it, but it isn't some all-seeing indicator of what the league season will be. That's all.

City are envious of us because people like us better. Everyone has something they use for extra motivation. Both teams should continue to be sufficiently motivated.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #55: Jul 27, 2019 02:53:14 pm
      I think we've put out some dreadful starting XI's for the league and FA cup over the last few years and this off season was a perfect opportunity to give ourselves some good strength in depth and actually go for some of those competitions. Yeah, we'll be right up there in the League and Champions League this season but the rest of them I hold very little hope of any silverware which is disappointing.

Clubs missed a trick here IMO.

To answer the question posed, no I don't think we've closed the gap because they're a better chance of winning more trophies than us this season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #56: Jul 27, 2019 02:54:33 pm
      .it is a game worth winning, we all want to win it, but it isn't some all-seeing indicator of what the league season will be. That's all.

City are envious of us because people like us better. Everyone has something they use for extra motivation. Both teams should continue to be sufficiently motivated.

I wonder how much singing city players did after we won number 6?

I honestly don't get all this angst (not from you).
      Football is supposed to be enjoyed.
      I often wonder why people watch if they can't find joy in it.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #57: Jul 27, 2019 02:57:36 pm
      Transfer-wise No!!! But as a team, the UCL will make us believe anything is possible. I think we will give them a run for their money again!
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #58: Jul 27, 2019 03:01:06 pm

I honestly don't get all this angst (not from you).
      Football is supposed to be enjoyed.
      I often wonder why people watch if they can't find joy in it.
      I know what you mean ... I guess it’s the angst that makes the enjoyable moments all the more enjoyable? We’re getting close to the start of the season but all there is on tv is cricket and netball!
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #59: Jul 27, 2019 03:04:43 pm
      Man City powered their way through the English domestic season last year with their three trophies, but the reds claimed the top European prize.

Although both sides had different fortunes in the domestic cups (I would argue we had different levels of opponents) in the Premier League the two teams were separated by just 2 points.

I'm kind of after people's gut reactions here.  I'm coming down on the side that it's been a bit of a missed opportunity - but if I try to look at it both ways.

On one hand you can say that we haven't brought anyone significant in. 

On the other hand you could say the team are a year further on together, they have sampled success in Madrid and we do have a couple of players available who missed last season - Oxlade-C and Brewster.

On balance - will these things close the gap on or overtake Man City? Or should we have done more in the market?  Maybe trying to integrate 'star names' can unbalance your squad and affect early season results?

I don’t quite get the “we’re a year more experienced so that will close the gap on City” argument ... they’re also a year more experienced - surely both cancel each other out
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #60: Jul 27, 2019 03:30:21 pm
      I don’t quite get the “we’re a year more experienced so that will close the gap on City” argument ... they’re also a year more experienced - surely both cancel each other out

Interesting interpretation. He didn’t exactly say or argue that. It started as a statement “were a year further together”. Then a question was asked. “will these things close the gap...?”

If any, that’s your own interpretation. I think we need to be fair to everyone about what they’ve written in black and white. Anyway this post is calling for your opinion.

You’re also right in saying that by your interpretation, they both cancel each other out.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #61: Jul 27, 2019 03:50:21 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      Not to mention it won't be our full strength side. Sadio not involved and Bobby and Mo will not be fully fit.  I'm sure City will be short of full strength as well.

I did say full strength side "available".

Sadio is obviously not available. The others quoted above will play, and start, along with the usual regulars. They don't lose much fitness in 3 weeks. Migs even played a pre-season game on his first day back. As soon as the rest of the heavies return, they will be back into games asap.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #62: Jul 27, 2019 03:54:01 pm
      Interesting interpretation. He didn’t exactly say or argue that. It started as a statement “were a year further together”. Then a question was asked. “will these things close the gap...?”

If any, that’s your own interpretation. I think we need to be fair to everyone about what they’ve written in black and white. Anyway this post is calling for your opinion.

You’re also right in saying that by your interpretation, they both cancel each other out.

I was paraphrasing that point in general - it seems to be used by a few people to justify the absence of signings - I quoted the original post to show I was answering that rather than the post above. Apologies if it came across wrong
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Jul 27, 2019 03:55:53 pm
      We may lose 4 or 5 games and still win the league. City can only field 11 players like all the other teams and its up to the other  teams in the league not to lie down and play dead when they come up against them

Yes but citeh can replace top quality players with other top quality players based on loss of form or fatigue, we can't. Why can't you understand this?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #64: Jul 27, 2019 04:18:21 pm
      Yes but citeh can replace top quality players with other top quality players based on loss of form or fatigue, we can't. Why can't you understand this?

yeh but no but yeh but, are you Matt Lucas. I understand you don't understand the slightest thing about planning and the experience of our manager because you seem to think you know better than he does. Check out how we did last season it may surprise you because you must have spent the entire season on f***in Pluto or Mars.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #65: Jul 27, 2019 04:29:14 pm
      yeh but no but yeh but, are you Matt Lucas. I understand you don't understand the slightest thing about planning and the experience of our manager because you seem to think you know better than he does. Check out how we did last season it may surprise you because you must have spent the entire season on f***in Pluto or Mars.

If Klopp does not buy another top forward then yes I will consider that he has made a mistake, similar to when he bought Karius thinking he would be good enough and then a year later realised he had to actually spend some money to get quality.

BTW I always find it satisfying when someone has to resort to name calling, it's a surefire sign they are losing the argument.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #66: Jul 27, 2019 05:35:07 pm
      At the risk of getting flamed I think the bigger problem may be the lack of transfer activity has on the 20/21 season. Last season we got through with the front 3 and Origi and Sturridge. This year it’s going to be Origi and Brewster. Not that much of a change. But fast forward 12 months and somebody comes calling for Mane or Salah. We will need to buy a replacement and we will get royally screwed in the transfer market because anyone we are interested in will come with a massive premium.
      So if we say buy Pepe this summer he might look a bit overpriced at £70m. If however he gets rotation playing time or (god forbid) long term injury time he’s a ready made experienced replacement next summer. That would give us the opportunity to invest any money from any sale wisely (a la Coutinho) or give us 4 strikers fighting for 3 places
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #67: Jul 27, 2019 05:50:09 pm

They had already won trophies though, and remember the swagger they had after winning their first?

The same applies to us now.

You could also make a case that a few of their players are a year older, and a year closer to decline.
      In elite sports, where so much is decided by the finest of margins, things like that matter.

You could say that the 2 matches against them last season decided the title.
      You could go further and say that Kompany not getting sent off for his two footed lunge when Mo was clear through, decided the title, or even the ball that came back off the post, missed Mo by inches, and somehow didn't do in decided the title.

Small margins, tiny even, but they decided the title last year.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #68: Jul 27, 2019 09:33:35 pm
      Could someone post our starting XI, our 2nd XI and then the same for City? Might help us be a little more objective in our discussion of the original question. If we could mark how these teams have changed from last year that might also help.

Quick Reply