Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?

Read 69353 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Re: Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?
      Reply #138: Aug 02, 2019 05:41:03 pm
      The CL final win is more beneficial financially and status wise mate, winning the Prem is more important in the context of shutting those mouthy bas**rds up down the M62.

F**k them rabid tw*ts. Of course we all want to win the league, but the European Cup is a far more prestigious trophy than that bastardised Prem trophy.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #139: Aug 04, 2019 06:18:02 pm
      So the gap now is?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #140: Aug 04, 2019 06:20:01 pm

They take charity shield way more seriously, some one needs to let Pep know its just a glorified friendly.
      In terms of teams very very even again.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #141: Aug 04, 2019 06:40:35 pm

Evidently still the same.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #142: Aug 04, 2019 07:16:59 pm
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #143: Aug 04, 2019 07:28:58 pm

Still a bloody width of a line!
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #144: Aug 04, 2019 10:06:12 pm
      I just hope the rest of the PL has a go at City rather than sitting back and letting them have possession waiting for them to score.. Get at the bas**rds they're not that great in defence
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #145: Aug 04, 2019 11:10:54 pm

Is it, not from what I saw from the stands. They're not that F***ing good.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #146: Aug 05, 2019 01:23:37 am
      I was a bit surprised by City. I know Guardiola plays 9 midfielders in general but their defensive personnel is light on and IF Aguero doesn't have a stormer they might struggle having to defend a lead at some point. I think they probably think in a league season they will dominate the majority of matches and get 70% possession and so they don't need foot soldiers in defense or out and out strikers. I just think it might be a little one dimensional, if things don't go their way i.e. sensitive to them getting a lead.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #147: Aug 05, 2019 03:38:29 am
      Think we are the better team
      Overall, second half we were all over them & should won the game 2nd half..if Salah learns to pass some..
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,822 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #148: Aug 05, 2019 05:09:29 am
      Have we closed the gap on City this summer?
      In terms of financial sway probably not, however, on the pitch there wasn't much of a gap at all, maybe you could argue their squad had better quality,
      I can't ever remember any march where City had us by the throat and were  totally dominant,
      They done us 5-1 in the Mane high boot red card game but even then we were the better side on the day up to that incident,
      In our CL matches weve been better, and last season we all know how lucky they were,  at Anfield we cancelled each other out and at the Emptihad,  Stones cleared off the line ,Salah hit the post and not forgetting the goal tech non goal ,so again we were the better side ,
      I just think Jürgen has the measure of City and Pep tactically, 
      His style and philosophy is better and team spirit,  together with the passion, desire and will to win has closed any gap there was, their lucky win against us last season,  our only defeat cost us a title and robbed us of a Double,
      That is a Fact!!

There is No Gap !

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #149: Aug 05, 2019 06:17:26 am
      We took it up to them in the 2nd half. Bet you that's more then any other team do this season. I'm not scared of City. They really should be scared of us.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #150: Aug 05, 2019 06:20:38 am
      We took it up to them in the 2nd half. Bet you that's more then any other team do this season. I'm not scared of City. They really should be scared of us.

I think they are. You can see it in how they celebrated yesterday and how they seem to be becoming a little obsessed with us, from their fans to the players.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #151: Aug 05, 2019 06:31:06 am
      I think they are. You can see it in how they celebrated yesterday and how they seem to be becoming a little obsessed with us, from their fans to the players.

Agreed mate, we are under their skins!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #152: Aug 05, 2019 08:47:54 am
      Is it, not from what I saw from the stands. They're not that f**king good.

They looked pretty damned good in the period where they scored, I was fearing the worst then as they kept slicing through our defence for about 10 minutes.
      On the other hand if Mo had worn his shooting boots today and had Sadio next to him then I'm convinced we would have won the match quite easily.

All in all a very impressive display from the lads and I'm a hell of a lot more confident than I was a few weeks ago, still think we have a lack of depth in attack but we have more attacking threat from midfield now so should be able to compensate if we have to.
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2019 08:55:46 am by heimdall »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #153: Aug 05, 2019 08:54:55 am

I think and hope that the other good teams might start to figure Citeh out, the key to beating them is to attack not defend, if you sit back they will unpick you sooner or later but have at them and they look skittish.
      I wonder how much the loss of Kompany might affect them, in terms of leader more than player.

Plus at a certain point it must become fecking tedious having  a neghead over passionate manager who takes everything so damned seriously, honestly watching him yesterday you'd have thought it was the final of the CL not Community shield.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #154: Aug 05, 2019 01:21:59 pm

Spot on.

The city fans I know personally are all old school, and just enjoying the ride.

The city "fans" my lad showed me on social media seem to be glory hunters who have only started "supporting" in the last few years.
      The half empty stadium for European nights tells the story.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #155: Aug 05, 2019 03:06:52 pm
      They looked pretty damned good in the period where they scored, I was fearing the worst then as they kept slicing through our defence for about 10 minutes.
      On the other hand if Mo had worn his shooting boots today and had Sadio next to him then I'm convinced we would have won the match quite easily.

All in all a very impressive display from the lads and I'm a hell of a lot more confident than I was a few weeks ago, still think we have a lack of depth in attack but we have more attacking threat from midfield now so should be able to compensate if we have to.

I want to hand it to you for being so positive. YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #156: Aug 05, 2019 03:31:01 pm
      I cant see how we may have closed the gap. City have strengthened in midfield in a position Pep clearly wanted to sort out having failed to sign Jorginho last season. Meanwhile we haven't added anything to our first team.

It also cant be in work in pre season which for us has been pretty chaotic and pretty frustrating with real key players away on holiday after playing with their national teams for a lot of the break. I dont think that will bode well for the season ahead long term.

City have lost Kompany who was fading as a player but a  big member of their team as a captain. Hopefully that makes an impact.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #157: Aug 05, 2019 03:38:36 pm
      I cant see how we may have closed the gap. City have strengthened in midfield in a position Pep clearly wanted to sort out having failed to sign Jorginho last season. Meanwhile we haven't added anything to our first team.

It also cant be in work in pre season which for us has been pretty chaotic and pretty frustrating with real key players away on holiday after playing with their national teams for a lot of the break. I dont think that will bode well for the season ahead long term.

City have lost Kompany who was fading as a player but a  big member of their team as a captain. Hopefully that makes an impact.

Rodri was an addition for the squad as opposed to the first team , he is there for when Fernandinho is not playing, also think Rodri doesn’t really offer anything and it’s a strange buy off the back of an ok season in Spain
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #158: Aug 05, 2019 04:12:27 pm
      Is it, not from what I saw from the stands. They're not that f**king good.

Head to head we match up well against them because defensively they are not that great and we go at them, but to win the title there are 18 others teams to play against most of which won't do that. Last year they played half the season without KDB, undoubtedly a top player in the sport, and still beat us by what works out to be 2 points due to GD. They have a deeper squad to deal with the schedule and are better at breaking down sitting teams. They are simply better suited than us at grinding out a long season with lots of games from league and cups, and that has not changed from last season to this one.
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #159: Aug 05, 2019 04:34:03 pm
      Sadly don't think we can look last year city won league cup fa cup premier league if should beat spurs in champion league, we only had premier league and champion league go for still could not win league, city can play two teams in that they best squad team in Europe, we one best 11 in league but we lack squad l think maybe couple more top players push on these year
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #160: Aug 05, 2019 04:36:18 pm
      Next year season think we better chance win league city players some will be gone best players because of age, maybe transfers ban on way and hunger think we drop hard win 4 on row

Quick Reply