Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?

Read 69344 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?
      Reply #184: Aug 07, 2019 04:04:35 pm
      Manu are a mess. Mcguire improves them, but thats it.

and then theres the big names wanting out.

Its brilliant tbh.  :lmao:

Don't underestimate Man Utd, they have 2 new top class defenders, a pretty good midfield and very nice attack. Their main weakness right now is the numpty in charge but make no mistake, they are a better team than last season.
      Then you have Spurs who have definitely improved in this transfer window, especially now with Dybala if that goes through.
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2019 04:09:22 pm by heimdall »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,456 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #185: Aug 07, 2019 04:12:52 pm
      Spuds will probably close the gap to us & City. But cant see the others getting close.

Arsenal still have a dodgy defense, Chelsea have lost the main man hazard, and havent been able to replace due to transfer ban.

Everton spending like F@@k just to do nothing as per. :lmao:

I do fancy wolves to do well again, maybe even push into the top 6.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,456 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #186: Aug 07, 2019 04:15:02 pm
      Don't underestimate Man Utd, they have 2 new top class defenders, a pretty good midfield and very nice attack. Their main weakness right now is the numpty in charge but make no mistake, they are a better team than last season.
      Then you have Spurs who have definitely improved in this transfer window, especially now with Dybala if that goes through.

Nah, theyre garbage.

I can see them losing pogba & lukaku last minute deadline day, they couldnt even get erikson deal over the line.

Then you have sanchez just ripping them for a fortune ever day.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #187: Aug 07, 2019 04:17:48 pm

United are still in a mess. Very short of quality in midfield and in forward areas a lot of okay forwards but nothing close to what we or City can boast.

They still seem to have a bloated squad of average players in defence.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #188: Aug 15, 2019 06:25:44 pm

So that's a no then!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #189: Aug 15, 2019 06:28:28 pm

You mean overrated defenders, a over hyped midfield and even less cover for their forwards.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #190: Aug 16, 2019 08:36:34 am
      You mean overrated defenders, a over hyped midfield and even less cover for their forwards.

Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday. Seriously don't underestimate Manure, they are not a direct threat to us this season but they have strengthened and are stronger, certainly in defence. If they can be sensible in their recruitment over the next few seasons then it won't be long before they are knocking on the door again, but I expect it all to implode for them at some point in the season simply because I don't rate Solskjaer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #191: Aug 16, 2019 09:11:09 am
      Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday.

Now compare the two very different line ups Chelsea had over the two games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #192: Aug 16, 2019 10:42:22 am
      Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday.

Kante and Pulisic will make a massive difference to Chelsea, which they did when they started v LFC.
      Same with Giroud, but not to the same extent as Kante.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #193: Aug 17, 2019 12:56:54 pm
      Kante and Pulisic will make a massive difference to Chelsea, which they did when they started v LFC.
      Same with Giroud, but not to the same extent as Kante.

Those three are the only real threat Chelsea have. Kante is brilliant at what he does, Giroud's always been a good striker and Pulisic does look a threat. After that though there is nothing much else there, for Mason Mount, we could easily point to Harry Wilson who was even more impressive than Mount was at Derby!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #194: Aug 17, 2019 12:58:43 pm
      Their overrated defenders seemed to cope a lot better with Chelsea's attacks than we did on Wednesday. Seriously don't underestimate Manure, they are not a direct threat to us this season but they have strengthened and are stronger, certainly in defence. If they can be sensible in their recruitment over the next few seasons then it won't be long before they are knocking on the door again, but I expect it all to implode for them at some point in the season simply because I don't rate Solskjaer.

And that right there at the end is why Utd don't worry me. Ole at the wheel and Woodward doing all the buying & selling, they're not exactly Ferguson and Gill.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #195: Aug 19, 2019 10:45:50 am
      Those three are the only real threat Chelsea have. Kante is brilliant at what he does, Giroud's always been a good striker and Pulisic does look a threat. After that though there is nothing much else there, for Mason Mount, we could easily point to Harry Wilson who was even more impressive than Mount was at Derby!!

Wilson in on the goals already.

Hazard a huge loss for Chelsea though. Not going to replace that contribution with the likes of Mount & Barkley though.
      Pulisic has some potential, but then Chelsea have no immediate answer to the loss of Hazard.

Would be like LFC selling Salah and bringing in nobody.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #196: Aug 19, 2019 01:30:46 pm
      United are still in a mess. Very short of quality in midfield and in forward areas a lot of okay forwards but nothing close to what we or City can boast.

They still seem to have a bloated squad of average players in defence.

Four games into the new year (2 PL + 2 Cups) and LFC's midfield has accomplished nothing and some might argue this grouping might be the team's achilles. Like all of last season, Klopp initiates his offense from the back line, mostly bypassing a midfield group who don't score or set up up the front 3. This formula was effective during the 2018-19 campaign but the mids defensive style has been ineffective in the first 2 weeks.
      My question: Who will produce more goals this year: LFC's  Mids or their back line?
      As of now: Back line 2 (VvD, Matip), Mids 0
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,456 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #197: Aug 19, 2019 01:35:08 pm
      Four games into the new year (2 PL + 2 Cups) and LFC's midfield has accomplished nothing and some might argue this grouping might be the team's achilles. Like all of last season, Klopp initiates his offense from the back line, mostly bypassing a midfield group who don't score or set up up the front 3. This formula was effective during the 2018-19 campaign but the mids defensive style has been ineffective in the first 2 weeks.
      My question: Who will produce more goals this year: LFC's  Mids or their back line?
      As of now: Back line 2 (VvD, Matip), Mids 0

Accomplished nothing you say ?

I say 6 points (top of league) & won a super cup, and an early season bonus of 2 points ahead of city.

Who cares where the goals come from.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #198: Aug 20, 2019 09:39:10 am

Not sure mate, I think Willian, Pedro and Jorginho are pretty good quality too. They'll take time to get going. A top class manager would have a very decent team to aim for top 4, but a lot depends on if Lampard can cut it in the prem. My gut feel is it's too soon for him, which I'm happy about mind you as I despise almost everything Chelsea stand for. Still my second most hated team in the pl.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #199: Aug 20, 2019 11:40:56 am
      Not sure mate, I think Willian, Pedro and Jorginho are pretty good quality too. They'll take time to get going. A top class manager would have a very decent team to aim for top 4, but a lot depends on if Lampard can cut it in the prem. My gut feel is it's too soon for him, which I'm happy about mind you as I despise almost everything Chelsea stand for. Still my second most hated team in the pl.

I agree, those 6 alone are quality and have for the most part Epl experience, add a few other stand outs and they are a decent outfit, decent enough to take points off top sides,
      Although I agree they have some way to go to match us Spuds or Shitty,

Its a long long season for them especially, question is can those 6 stay Injury free and stay the course, my answer to that is no, so I doubt whether they will be top 5,
      but short term they could inflict some damage.

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #200: Nov 13, 2019 08:39:11 pm
      Quote from DanMann
      So have we closed the gap? Evidently not. Not yet. We are still in the moment of not doing enough.

Man City strengthened over the summer. We did not. So, Man City can go and put in another storming season without much push.

Unless we click, we will face de ja vu come May 2020.

With the benefit of hindsight maybe, but I think it's safe to say, not only has the gap just closed, it's been completely shut.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #201: Nov 14, 2019 11:38:01 am
      With the benefit of hindsight maybe, but I think it's safe to say, not only has the gap just closed, it's been completely shut.

The "unless we click" bit there is probably the most telling part.
      With Ox back and scoring, and Adrian filling in superbly when Alisson was out,
      this team has never looked as strong as a unit.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #202: Nov 14, 2019 12:03:12 pm
      The "unless we click" bit there is probably the most telling part.
      With Ox back and scoring, and Adrian filling in superbly when Alisson was out,
      this team has never looked as strong as a unit.

How about room to improve in addition to unless we click? ;D >:D
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #203: Nov 14, 2019 12:05:47 pm
      If he doesn't win either the PL or CL he will piss off to PSG and win everything there next summer as he wont have to worry about any domestic challenges.

He will take De Bruyne and Sterling with him and Man City will be nothing more than a strong team like Chelsea are at the moment.

Aguero and Silva coming to the end of their time here.

He's done his job here and he cant handle us or Klopp.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #204: Nov 14, 2019 12:49:37 pm
      If he doesn't win either the PL or CL he will piss off to PSG and win everything there next summer as he wont have to worry about any domestic challenges.

He will take De Bruyne and Sterling with him and Man City will be nothing more than a strong team like Chelsea are at the moment.

Aguero and Silva coming to the end of their time here.

He's done his job here and he cant handle us or Klopp.

We have gone past Citeh now, they made a big big F**k up not replacing Kompany in the summer and they are suffering for it and will until January at which point we should hopefully have a very nice lead on them
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,456 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #205: Nov 14, 2019 01:19:09 pm
      We have gone past Citeh now, they made a big big f**k up not replacing Kompany in the summer and they are suffering for it and will until January at which point we should hopefully have a very nice lead on them

Agree with this.

Im also loving how we got stronger by not really spending much, most of us sensible folk, could see we spent a fortune in the previous transfer windows to get this squad together, its now peaking and has a good few years at peak too.

Actually we haven't even peaked this season, too many changes at CB for the team to properly settle.

Just wait till we really click and start smashing teams by 3 & 4 again. :-)
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #206: Nov 14, 2019 01:40:28 pm
      I'm not calling it till the fat ladee sings. To early to say.Only a bit more than a quarter thru the season. Looking good but the jury is still out IMO.

Quick Reply