Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?

Read 69309 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?
      Reply #207: Nov 14, 2019 02:21:21 pm
      I wouldn't exactly say that Liverpool Football Club have closed the gap on City.

Jürgen Klopp has closed the gap on City by creating a squad that is greater than the sum of its individual parts. There isn't another manager on the planet that could get more out of this Squad than he can. He has the ability to create a system that is basically like a religion, each and every member of that Squad knows what they have to do in any given situation.

He has created a structure that was last seen during the times of Paisley and Dalglish. There is a real sense of unity at Anfield, only certain types of characters can build structures like this. Only certain men can instil that kind of mentality into mere mortals. Klopp will go down as one of the greatest managers of all time.

Will he go down as the greatest Liverpool manager of all time? I don't think he will, the only reason i give for that is that i don't think he'll stay here long enough to realise it.

While he's here though, i will love every second of it and be eternally grateful for all he has done and continues to do for us.

The best manager in the world right now. Even Mourinho loves him!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #208: Nov 14, 2019 03:03:22 pm
      We have gone past Citeh now, they made a big big F**k up not replacing Kompany in the summer and they are suffering for it and will until January at which point we should hopefully have a very nice lead on them

And even by then, unless Pep buys a centre half from a PL club, a defender will find it hard to adapt to the league straight away, just like Laporte did at first.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #209: Nov 14, 2019 03:17:58 pm
      Only someone like Koulibaly or Varane could maybe slot in and not struggle with the prem for City.

Varane aint going anywhere and would Napoli sell in Jan? I highly doubt it.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #210: Nov 14, 2019 03:47:45 pm
      Read in the Portuguese press he is after Ruben Dias
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #211: Nov 14, 2019 05:56:49 pm
      They have failed to replace Kompany, have lost a few games already. Think in some ways we have overtaken City.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #212: Nov 14, 2019 07:07:30 pm
      People getting ahead of themselves a bit here, we've only closed the gap and overtaken them when we're parading the Premier League trophy around the streets of Liverpool.

Hopefully that's only six months away though.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #213: Nov 15, 2019 01:21:11 pm
      YES!!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #214: Nov 15, 2019 01:54:55 pm
      If he doesn't win either the PL or CL he will piss off to PSG and win everything there next summer as he wont have to worry about any domestic challenges.

He will take De Bruyne and Sterling with him and Man City will be nothing more than a strong team like Chelsea are at the moment.

Aguero and Silva coming to the end of their time here.

He's done his job here and he cant handle us or Klopp.

Let's just say he'd threaten to walk unless he gets Mbappe. Otherwise he'll end up at PSG if he doesn't get his way, seeing that he wants to win so much that he can't stand losing.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #215: Nov 15, 2019 02:48:34 pm
      At the moment it's fairly likely that City could be sanctioned by UEFA, they are once again being investigated for financial irregularities, it's possible that they could be deducted points, face a CL ban, and a possible transfer ban too, oh to be a City fan, watching your club go down the toilet,  and no I don't mean a visit to Scum land, looks like the old Shaky Sheik has indulged in some shaky goings on, again,  fookin camel jockeys,  enough to give you the hump.

YNWA
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #216: Nov 15, 2019 03:50:10 pm
      At the moment it's fairly likely that City could be sanctioned by UEFA, they are once again being investigated for financial irregularities, it's possible that they could be deducted points, face a CL ban, and a possible transfer ban too, oh to be a City fan, watching your club go down the toilet,  and no I don't mean a visit to Scum land, looks like the old Shaky Sheik has indulged in some shaky goings on, again,  fookin camel jockeys,  enough to give you the hump.

YNWA

According to reports yesterday as far as UEFA and Champions League it looks like it is going to be a fine.....

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #217: Nov 15, 2019 04:10:31 pm
      In Man City's defence, they haven't got their full squad available.

I'd be interested to see the two teams best line up's excluding the players who started last Sunday.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #218: Nov 16, 2019 10:23:49 pm
      In Man City's defence, they haven't got their full squad available.

I'd be interested to see the two teams best line up's excluding the players who started last Sunday.

Yep they've had injuries and with Kompany gone, they dont have experience cover to fall back on. They also dont have his experience and presence around the place.

But yes City have had issues to a greater extent than we have, and keeping our best players fit will ensure we have the best chance to maintaining the lead we have.

A few injuries starting to creep in now, luckily we have another week until we next play, but if we were to miss Robbo and Salah for a few games things could start to get tougher.

Huge numbers of matches coming up and it will be interesting how Jürgen juggles his resources, something he has been excellent at in his time here.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #219: Nov 16, 2019 11:14:43 pm
      A few injuries starting to creep in now,

I think I’ll reserve my verdict on the Prem, until we’ve got through the derby v the hatchet men.
      Could be struggling with a few injuries after that one 😬
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #220: Nov 17, 2019 12:53:29 am
      They've been unlucky with injuries, but so have we. The biggest difference though is that the players who have played in place of our injured players have stepped up and delivered, the same can't be said for City. A lot has been made about the depth of their team compared to ours and how we would fare without a key player, but as it stands, the depth of our squad has proven to be better than theirs as things currently stand and we've had the tougher games so far.

Laporte has obviously been a big loss for them but even with him playing, teams can cause their defence problems and bag a goal. IMO their biggest loss has been Sane. Sterling and Aguero get the plaudits in that attack but you take out Sane and you lose a massive threat that Mahrez, Bernardo and whoever else that fills in there just doesn't offer. As it goes, it was Sane who essentially won them the league last season because it was his goal that beat us. Sane is the player I dread most when we play them, Sterling has a psychological issue that comes through playing us and Aguero tends to struggle, where as Sane, he's much like Mane IMO with the blistering pace and teams are never quite sure on what he's going to do. Aguero will be there waiting for the tap in whilst Sterling will look to run his defender and be there for a follow up, but Sane is the one who is difficult to keep an eye on.

As it stands it's a case of City having to close the gap on us, but there's a long way to go yet.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019 01:03:43 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #221: Nov 17, 2019 05:58:01 am
      Our togtherness closed the gap! But I never thought we closed it this much. The best transfer this season was that we lost anyone and signed Adrian!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #222: Nov 17, 2019 06:26:59 am
      We haven't just closed the gap on City-We have blasted it wide open.Well done Jurgens REDS.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #223: Nov 17, 2019 09:34:42 am
      People getting ahead of themselves a bit here, we've only closed the gap and overtaken them when we're parading the Premier League trophy around the streets of Liverpool.

Hopefully that's only six months away though.

Yep ... still a long way to go and the winter months will be tough for us in terms of fixtures a) because we have more games to play and b) because we now have even bigger target on our backs meaning teams will try that much harder when we play them. The title is far from won.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #224: Nov 17, 2019 10:06:22 am
      Massive month ahead, with so many fixtures to play. We will see where we are, in the New year, hopefully ahead of City and the rest by a decent margin of points.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #225: Nov 17, 2019 03:28:40 pm
      Massive month ahead, with so many fixtures to play. We will see where we are, in the New year, hopefully ahead of City and the rest by a decent margin of points.

I agree, if we can get to January relatively injury free and still with a 9 point lead then I will really start to believe.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #226: Nov 17, 2019 11:54:29 pm
      I agree, if we can get to January relatively injury free and still with a 9 point lead then I will really start to believe.

Its 9 points which means its over.  May aswel get me a shirt with 19 on the back already.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #227: Nov 18, 2019 09:42:06 am

I've just looked at the fixtures in November and December and Citeh really do have a brutal 2 month ahead of them, hardly any "easy" fixtures at all. If they can come though that still within 9 points of us I'll be impressed.

Chelsea (H)
      Newcastle (A)
      Burnley (A)
      Man U (H)
      Arsenal (A)
      Leicester (H)
      Wolves (A)
      Sheffield Utd (H)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #228: Nov 18, 2019 10:55:38 am
      I've just looked at the fixtures in November and December and Citeh really do have a brutal 2 month ahead of them, hardly any "easy" fixtures at all. If they can come though that still within 9 points of us I'll be impressed.

Chelsea (H)
      Newcastle (A)
      Burnley (A)
      Man U (H)
      Arsenal (A)
      Leicester (H)
      Wolves (A)
      Sheffield Utd (H)

I’d be impressed if we are still 9 ahead regardless of how City’s fixtures look because our schedule is every bit as tough, if not more so.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #229: Nov 18, 2019 12:00:38 pm
      I’d be impressed if we are still 9 ahead regardless of how City’s fixtures look because our schedule is every bit as tough, if not more so.

are they??
      our fixtures are:

Palace (A)
      Brighton (H)
      Everton (H)
      Bournemouth (A)
      Watford (H)
      Leicester (A)
      Wolves (H)

Quick Reply