Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Adrian
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (6.5%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.3%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.3%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      56 (72.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      10 (13%)
      Mo Salah
      1 (1.3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2019 04:57:20 pm

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 43956 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Aug 19, 2019 05:06:31 pm
      I keep seeing the same thing said that 'we started slowly last season too'. I don't remember starting slowly at all.

Our first game was against West Ham at home. We won 4-0. I remember saying to my mate straight after that game we looked like champions. The way we controlled and dominated that game was something I hadn't really seen from a Liverpool side before.

We then went to palace and comfortably won 2-0 without getting out of second gear. It was a breeze.

We then beat Brighton at home 1-0. Brighton were organised and defended very well but it was complete domination from us. We had something like 80% possession in that match and they never troubled us at all.

We then won 2-1 at Leicester and we didn't play particularly well but Leicester away is a tough game at any point in the season. Alisson gifted them a goal.

We then went to Spurs and battered them. We only won 2-1 but that score line flattered them. It could have been 4 or 5.

Battered Southampton 3-0. Then went to Chelsea and dropped points. Sturridge equalised at the death but again, we battered them and a draw was the least we deserved.

Sorry to ramble on a bit here but I don't remember seeing the same problems that I have this season.  We played a lot of football last season, some of our lads played through the summer and then we had the super cup too so I expect us to be bit a tired but I'll be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned with our performances so far.

The main thing is we've got the points. That's all what matters. But we definitely need to tighten up. We've played two teams who will be fighting to stay up this season and we weren't great against both.

Arsenal will be a good test for us and the perfect game to really kick on and start reaching the levels we saw last season.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #277: Aug 19, 2019 06:11:06 pm
      I keep seeing the same thing said that 'we started slowly last season too'. I don't remember starting slowly at all.

Our first game was against West Ham at home. We won 4-0. I remember saying to my mate straight after that game we looked like champions. The way we controlled and dominated that game was something I hadn't really seen from a Liverpool side before.

We then went to palace and comfortably won 2-0 without getting out of second gear. It was a breeze.

We then beat Brighton at home 1-0. Brighton were organised and defended very well but it was complete domination from us. We had something like 80% possession in that match and they never troubled us at all.

We then won 2-1 at Leicester and we didn't play particularly well but Leicester away is a tough game at any point in the season. Alisson gifted them a goal.

We then went to Spurs and battered them. We only won 2-1 but that score line flattered them. It could have been 4 or 5.

Battered Southampton 3-0. Then went to Chelsea and dropped points. Sturridge equalised at the death but again, we battered them and a draw was the least we deserved.

Sorry to ramble on a bit here but I don't remember seeing the same problems that I have this season.  We played a lot of football last season, some of our lads played through the summer and then we had the super cup too so I expect us to be bit a tired but I'll be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned with our performances so far.

The main thing is we've got the points. That's all what matters. But we definitely need to tighten up. We've played two teams who will be fighting to stay up this season and we weren't great against both.

Arsenal will be a good test for us and the perfect game to really kick on and start reaching the levels we saw last season.

Not sure we battered Chelsea in fairness
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #278: Aug 19, 2019 10:43:57 pm
      Not sure we battered Chelsea in fairness

We were definitely the better team though
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #279: Aug 20, 2019 12:53:50 am
      Tough schedule so far. They came thru with flying colors. Off season break, or no break for many with extended game time. I don't expect them to be flying. With a week rest before the next gane and more time to test out some combos, i'm sure the lads can only improve from here.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #280: Aug 20, 2019 09:34:11 am
      Talking of combos, we won’t need a combo of Hendo and Millie against the Arse that’s for sure 😬
      Merciless
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #281: Aug 20, 2019 04:19:26 pm
      Talking of combos, we won’t need a combo of Hendo and Millie against the Arse that’s for sure 😬

Agreed. I like having one or the other on the pitch but not both at once.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #282: Aug 20, 2019 11:18:00 pm
      Considering the almighty effort at the back end of last season and the strain of vital players hardly getting a breather, to have started with max points plus the Super Cup win is a fantastic tribute to the Boss and his staff.

Keeping it all going I'm sure requires seriously hard craft and we acknowledge and pay tribute to the Boss and the staff for getting us started on winning ways.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #283: Aug 21, 2019 11:32:11 pm
      As expected, the performance wasn't great, but once we scored, we clicked into gear. We should have scored 4 or 5 more by the time Adrian reminded us why he's a backup keeper, while after a long week, VVD clearly didn't take the idea of a jumpy last 10 minutes very well. We survived and won our 11th league game in a row. It's amazing to take 33 points from the last 33 available, it's astonishing levels of consistency tbh, yet it's only our fans who still believe we can win the league.

The next game should be a three point banker, we've scored 15 goals v Arsenal at home with Jürgen in the dugout, and it will be Happy Hour for the front three again. How big the margin is, depends on how well the back four keep the back door shut. But it's a good chance to send out another strong statement about what we intend to do this season.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #284: Aug 22, 2019 09:55:42 am
      As expected, the performance wasn't great, but once we scored, we clicked into gear. We should have scored 4 or 5 more by the time Adrian reminded us why he's a backup keeper, while after a long week, VVD clearly didn't take the idea of a jumpy last 10 minutes very well. We survived and won our 11th league game in a row. It's amazing to take 33 points from the last 33 available, it's astonishing levels of consistency tbh, yet it's only our fans who still believe we can win the league.

The next game should be a three point banker, we've scored 15 goals v Arsenal at home with Jürgen in the dugout, and it will be Happy Hour for the front three again. How big the margin is, depends on how well the back four keep the back door shut. But it's a good chance to send out another strong statement about what we intend to do this season.
      We will deffo concede 1 or 2 in this match so will need the front 3 to all have their shooting boots on.  3-2 or 4-2 the most likely results for my money.

Quick Reply