Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      1 (1.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      7 (8.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      9 (11.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (7.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.3%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      30 (38%)
      Naby Keïta
      4 (5.1%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (2.5%)
      Joel Matip
      11 (13.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: Aug 08, 2019 05:08:34 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 54735 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Aug 04, 2019 05:15:59 pm
      Hope Alisson is going to be better come next week. I know it's only his 2nd game but he's only had a short break and against Lyon he fumbled it and cost us a goal and today he should have done better on the Sterling goal, his distribution wasn't good and he was poor in that shootout. Getting it out his system now hopefully.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Man City Community Shield
      Reply #300: Aug 04, 2019 05:16:40 pm
      You're reading and talking about it. That's how!

Worked in journalism for a long time. Don't think it's unreasonable to expect some minimum standard of objectivity/accuracy. This was neither.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #301: Aug 04, 2019 05:17:04 pm
      We were excellent that 2nd half, lite to like about the performance. Great for Mo to grt90 minutes and he looked in good touch
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #302: Aug 04, 2019 05:17:14 pm
      Should of wrapped it up in 90 I'm afraid

With a bit more luck we would have won that easily, we looked good 2nd half.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #303: Aug 04, 2019 05:18:33 pm
      Would have liked to have won that and we should have really,but looking at the bigger picture our first big test and we where much the better side,roll on Friday against the canaries.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #304: Aug 04, 2019 05:19:49 pm
      Don't think Gini should have stepped up, he had a poor game and looked short of confidence, could tell with the way he was standing it was going to be saved. Should have been Virgil stepping up.

Though, it kind of seemed like for us, the game was finished at the 90 and we only went through the motions with the penalties. City on the other hand, they seemed like they were desperate to make amends for getting battered the entire 2nd half.

Little side note on Mo. Last season it seemed as though he'd lost a bit of his pace and a few people were saying he looked slower. Today it was the complete opposite IMO, looked as though he was as quick, if not quicker than his first season with us. The way he was flying across the pitch to stop the ball going for a goal kick, in the 85th+ minute was like it was the first minute of the game.
      storophanthus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts | 16 
      Reply #305: Aug 04, 2019 05:21:33 pm
      I don't know, I'm not too upset about this.

Maybe because that second half performance;
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #306: Aug 04, 2019 05:21:44 pm
      Don't think Gini should have stepped up, he had a poor game and looked short of confidence, could tell with the way he was standing it was going to be saved. Should have been Virgil stepping up.

Though, it kind of seemed like for us, the game was finished at the 90 and we only went through the motions with the penalties. City on the other hand, they seemed like they were desperate to make amends for getting battered the entire 2nd half.

Absolute bollocks. You seriously suggesting we didn't try to win ?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #307: Aug 04, 2019 05:21:50 pm
      Would have liked to have won that and we should have really,but looking at the bigger picture our first big test and we where much the better side,roll on Friday against the canaries.

Loved the performance, not the result.

Gini will find himself on the outside looking in before the seasons end, I predicted that before today. Poor pen and was missing most of the game.

TAA looked bad again.

Gomez was my MOTM.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #308: Aug 04, 2019 05:25:32 pm

Little side note on Mo. Last season it seemed as though he'd lost a bit of his pace and a few people were saying he looked slower. Today it was the complete opposite IMO, looked as though he was as quick, if not quicker than his first season with us. The way he was flying across the pitch to stop the ball going for a goal kick, in the 85th+ minute was like it was the first minute of the game.

I love Gini but striking a ball has never been his strong suit. I'm surprised he was one off the five, but I guess in a more competitive situation like Champions League or FA Cup, you'd have Milner, Mane and Bobby still out there at the end.
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Reply #309: Aug 04, 2019 05:26:46 pm
      Great game of football, actually I am very very happy only when you see 2 great sides go at it do you realise what a great position we are in as a team. The 2 best teams in europe on show today and it's going to be another tight season but bring it on.
      Unlucky in the end but penalties are a lottery, but like last season one mistake can cost you.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #310: Aug 04, 2019 05:26:56 pm
      Midfield let us down first half! And finishing let us down in the second half
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #311: Aug 04, 2019 05:27:59 pm
      Great game of football, actually I am very very happy only when you see 2 great sides go at it do you realise what a great position we are in as a team. The 2 best teams in europe on show today and it's going to be another tight season but bring it on.
      Unlucky in the end but penalties are a lottery, but like last season one mistake can cost you.

Gino was defiantly a mistake today, but a lot of positives
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #312: Aug 04, 2019 05:28:19 pm
      With a bit more luck we would have won that easily, we looked good 2nd half.

Bit of luck but some wastefulness fine lines at this level
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #313: Aug 04, 2019 05:36:18 pm
      Just an annoying penalty. If Ox blazes his over at least hes given it a chance.

Straight run up, side foot, no disguise, not in the corner and nice height.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #314: Aug 04, 2019 05:36:52 pm
      Absolute bollocks. You seriously suggesting we didn't try to win ?

Calm down and untwist your kecks lad.

I'm saying that come the end of the game we would have likely felt we couldn't give anymore because of how we went at them in the second half, the penalty shootout was just a matter of course but we had nothing to make up for in the shootout, they did. The fact that Milly and Klopp were having a talk and a laugh during the shootout shows how seriously they were taking it. Compare that with Pep who was focused on every single kick.

It's funny, a few weeks ago when I said about we should be looking to go all out and win this game people were biting at me and saying it's just a pre-season game, doesn't mean anything, and then you pop up with a response like this.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #315: Aug 04, 2019 05:38:55 pm

After the first half, I was about to say the same thing but thought people were going to call me crazy and decided to wait and see if would score. Regardless, I think you are spot on. He got himself out of some tremendous press and some awful situations just the way he did in his first season. He lacked little things like that last season (still was amazingly good).

MOTM for me. Had he scored one I think he would've probably knocked in at least a second one, but he was unlucky at times and just a bit rusty on some of his shots.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #316: Aug 04, 2019 05:42:19 pm
      Salah today though. Wow he missed some chances.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #317: Aug 04, 2019 05:44:05 pm
      Midfield let us down first half! And finishing let us down in the second half

And the fullbacks, both Trent and Robbo had bad games. I'd be surprised if Trent starts vs Norwich as it goes because we looked more comfortable with Virgil and Matip with Gomez on the right than we did with Virgil and Gomez.

Not easy for a player like Matip (not overly quick or agile) to come into a game against a team like City and settle straight away. Minutes after coming on him and Jesus were battling for the ball and Matip was fully composed and held him off well and turned himself out of danger nicely...think he might have ended up winning a free kick. Go back a year and I don't think you could put Matip on and him play that comfortably, his improvement since the turn of the year has been incredible. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #318: Aug 04, 2019 05:47:59 pm
      Well that’s pre season done and dusted now and hopefully people can now see that the team is good enough
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #319: Aug 04, 2019 05:49:39 pm
      Well that’s pre season done and dusted now and hopefully people can now see that the team is good enough

Don't think anyone has said the team isn't good enough, just that we lack some strength in depth in certain areas...which we do.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #320: Aug 04, 2019 05:55:12 pm
      Nice to let City know we’ll be right with them the whole way but I think they knew that regardless, nice 2nd half good run out, mo was electric he will bury them chances when they come his way next... onto Norwich👍🏻
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #321: Aug 04, 2019 06:09:25 pm
      And the fullbacks, both Trent and Robbo had bad games. I'd be surprised if Trent starts vs Norwich as it goes because we looked more comfortable with Virgil and Matip with Gomez on the right than we did with Virgil and Gomez.

Not easy for a player like Matip (not overly quick or agile) to come into a game against a team like City and settle straight away. Minutes after coming on him and Jesus were battling for the ball and Matip was fully composed and held him off well and turned himself out of danger nicely...think he might have ended up winning a free kick. Go back a year and I don't think you could put Matip on and him play that comfortably, his improvement since the turn of the year has been incredible. 

Be amazed if trent doesn't start. Especially at home.

Quick Reply