People have focused in on Villas opening goal and Adrian has taken the blame but it’s actually a little unfair. There were several mistakes.
1. Robertson was under pressure. He should have just cleared the ball with his right foot down the line.
2. Once Robertson received the ball, VVD should have gave him an option, he never did.
3. The pass back to Adrian from Robertson was shocking. Fizzed in to him at waist height on a wet pitch, immediately putting him under pressure.
4. Adrian should have just got rid. Put the ball into the stands if you have too. But he tried to play out and the pass was sh*te.
5. Gomez didn’t exactly help with the pass. He could have been on his toes and more alert. Then, when the ball passed him and grealish picks it up, he hesitates and backs off, instead of closing him and giving him no space.
So yes, Adrian was at fault for the first goal but three others played a part there. I was more concerned about how easily the goals went in. Deflections or not, they seemed to beat Adrian with ease and I’m absolutely certain had Alison been in goal then he stops 4 or 5 of them.
Adrian has actually made numerous mistakes for us but because we were still winning games, they went unnoticed or were quickly forgotten about.
I have a soft spot for Adrian. He’s quite clearly a nice bloke, a good professional but sadly he isn’t good enough, even as a number 2.