Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Adrián San Miguel (GK)

Read 74059 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Adrián San Miguel
      Reply #92: Oct 07, 2019 07:00:16 pm
      He gave the keeper's gloves at the end of the match to a kid, just show it on Liverpool Echo's page. Well done.

Kid's Mum will have to fumigate those. Reminds me of playing futsal with my friends way back when...and we would all take a turn in goal and just pass the same pair of gloves one to another and...............ewwwww wwww, the smell!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #93: Oct 08, 2019 11:23:26 am
      Start of the season one of the worries was that an injury to Alisson would result in points being dropped.
      I expect the clean sheets will probably come back more regularly under Alisson,
      but there is no doubt that Adrian has been a very important squad improvement.

Squad is only as good as its weakest link and bringing Adrian in has been a massive improvement.
      Since Klopp has come in, gone are the days of scattergun recruitment.
      The right player for the right position.

Another free transfer that has been excellent.
      Adrian, Matip, Milner. Key players that then allow big money to be spent elsewhere.
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2019 11:27:39 am by racerx34 »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #94: Oct 08, 2019 02:31:39 pm
      Start of the season one of the worries was that an injury to Alisson would result in points being dropped.
      I expect the clean sheets will probably come back more regularly under Alisson,
      but there is no doubt that Adrian has been a very important squad improvement.

Squad is only as good as its weakest link and bringing Adrian in has been a massive improvement.
      Since Klopp has come in, gone are the days of scattergun recruitment.
      The right player for the right position.

Another free transfer that has been excellent.
      Adrian, Matip, Milner. Key players that then allow big money to be spent elsewhere.

When Allison got injured my first thought was that we will concede points put how much points will it be?  I was thinking not to give them more than 5 points just a guess of from thin air.  But like you say it was 1 of 2 position in particular that we just didn't have an answer for.  The other being VVD.  But Adrian has been absolutely brilliant.  What a signing and how quick it was done when Mignolet left.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #95: Oct 08, 2019 03:36:33 pm
      What can you say every game he has made some sort of great save, imagine if we would have still had Migs, well done
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #96: Oct 08, 2019 05:05:34 pm
      Kid's Mum will have to fumigate those. Reminds me of playing futsal with my friends way back when...and we would all take a turn in goal and just pass the same pair of gloves one to another and...............ewwwww wwww, the smell!

I'm an amateur keeper and I know the feeling or rather the smell. We spit in them for more grip :( :)
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #97: Jan 05, 2020 09:11:09 pm
      What a back up keeper we have on our hands.

Has performed brilliantly each time he's been called upon.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #98: Jan 05, 2020 09:22:38 pm
      What a lad.

Always liked him well In for a top draw performance.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #99: Jan 05, 2020 10:19:53 pm
      Great second keeper we have, but to be fair most if today's attempts were directly at him
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #100: Jan 05, 2020 10:39:29 pm
      What a signing he's been. Bravo, Adrian.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #101: Jan 05, 2020 11:03:23 pm
      Where was he for the last 5 years?  He would have been a legend by now!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #102: Jan 06, 2020 02:16:51 am
      What a brilliant signing.

He was my MOTM because without his 4-5 magnificent saves, we would be out of the Cup. Now we are going to go on and win it!

West Ham what the F**k were you thinking?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #103: Jan 06, 2020 05:28:20 pm
      Always a thorn in the blue shites side is Adrian. Scored a winning penalty against them a few years back.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #104: Jan 18, 2020 03:28:50 pm
      Always a thorn in the blue shites side is Adrian. Scored a winning penalty against them a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLy4B-KjowU
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #105: Jan 18, 2020 05:17:01 pm
      Seen a couple of those Inside Anfield vids on you tube from this season including the cup tie against the Ev & he deffo seems a bit of a big character in the dressing room.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #106: Jan 27, 2020 12:58:04 pm
      Quote about Shrewsbury Town:

"Now we have to face the second game in Anfield to try to go through to the next round.

"They deserve all the respect we give them. We respect all the rivals obviously but when we are on the pitch it's 11 against 11, so you give everything for the result.

"At the end, they got a draw and obviously it's like a win for them because we have to play the second game now at Anfield."

Apparently hasn't gotten he word he's going on holiday instead.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020 07:04:08 pm by Robby The Z »
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #107: Jan 27, 2020 05:44:36 pm
      Played a blinder yesterday, kept us in the game and deserves all the plaudits that have come his way, great to know we have such a top 'second' keeper to Alisson.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #108: Jan 27, 2020 07:02:56 pm
      Played a blinder yesterday, kept us in the game and deserves all the plaudits that have come his way, great to know we have such a top 'second' keeper to Alisson.

Keeper situation night and day compared to a few years ago.

Loving it
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #109: Jan 27, 2020 07:16:34 pm
      Keeper situation night and day compared to a few years ago.

Loving it

Absolutely and so good to see.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #110: Jan 28, 2020 01:26:13 pm
      Apart from Alisson this guy's the best keeper we've had since Reina and he's second friggen choice.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #111: Jan 28, 2020 05:10:48 pm
      Never really rated him at West Ham but that judging him as a number 1 keeper.

For a number 2  hes bloody good, and even when he played a run of games he was consistent.

Top signing!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #112: Jan 28, 2020 05:54:37 pm
      He literally earned his golden medal in May!
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #113: Feb 11, 2020 11:10:14 am
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51374515

It was the Premier League's opening day and Norwich City were visiting Anfield. Liverpool's Alisson was down with a calf injury. There was silence in the stands.

Jürgen Klopp brought his new substitute goalkeeper off the bench and spoke softly in his ear: "Welcome to Anfield."

Adrian had only been at the club for four days. He had trained with his team-mates just twice. As he was about to make his debut, did Klopp have anything else to add?

"He hugged me. He showed me I had his trust," Adrian says. "I felt like the schoolboy who has to introduce himself in front of his new classmates, but what can I say about Anfield? The way the fans embraced me in such a critical moment, losing one of their best players. They gave me total confidence."

Adrian smiles as he looks back now on that unexpected Anfield bow - and the whirlwind week that followed. The Spaniard, 33, is enjoying life as the guy who landed on his feet in Liverpool half a year ago.

But to really understand him - and how he fits in to a very special team - you have to go back a little further still.

Things might have turned out very differently for Adrian. For a long time it seemed as if his time might never come. After years spent waiting in the wings, he finally made his debut for Real Betis, the club he joined aged 11, when he was 25.

He also came off the bench that day, in the 11th minute, dressed in yellow, with the number 13 on his back, which is also a sign of bad luck in Spain. He conceded four goals before the final whistle in a 4-0 defeat by Malaga on 20 September 2012.

A few months later, there was another low point: a 5-1 thrashing by city rivals Sevilla.

But Adrian was never going to give up, and the confidence of his manager - former West Bromwich Albion boss Pepe Mel - helped him through.

"I often think about that match," Adrian says. "It was one of my career's key moments. Pepe was the first manager to give me a chance as a professional.

"He trusted me beyond any mistake I could have made that day. A week later we beat Real Madrid 1-0 at home, and I stopped several goals. Man of the match. Kind of. Since then I've improved a lot. I'm very grateful to him."

At the end of that 2012-13 campaign, with 32 games under his belt and with Betis struggling financially, Adrian would move on. The Premier League was his next destination. He packed his bags and left for West Ham United as a free agent. And he would keep that number 13 shirt.

For a 26-year-old Andalusian who had never been abroad and spoke only in his mother tongue, it was the start of an adventure that would bring much joy, but also disappointment. Towards the end of his time with the Hammers he had lost his starting spot, and with his contract up last summer - having made 150 appearances over six years at the club - he was once again free to move on.

Without a team, he spent pre-season training alone in Pilas, on pitches used by a local non-league side, 30 miles away from his hometown of Seville. It was anything but easy.

"I'd made a drastic decision not to stay any longer at West Ham, despite having a three-year contract offer on the table," he says. "I hadn't played a single game all season in the Premier League. I didn't feel valued economically either, to be honest. It was tough for me.

"Summer came and then I felt those butterflies in my stomach. I knew something good was coming. I was already aware of Liverpool's interest before I received the first offers.

"They called me at the end of July. They said that they'd sell [Simon] Mignolet if I gave the deal the green light. That's how it happened."

Real Betis might have been in for him too - Adrian even fantasised over the idea of making a return - but there was uncertainty following the departure of Quique Setien, now manager at Barcelona.

"It could have worked but the new staff still had to decide what kind of keeper they needed," he says. "In the end, they signed a much younger player. I didn't fit their profile, but we're professionals no matter what we feel inside. My final decision wasn't that bad after all, was it?"

Adrian laughs. He is a man who laughs often. And right now there is a lot to laugh about in the Liverpool dressing room. Their 22-point lead will surely lead to a first league title in 30 years. But nobody's talking about how close they are, not even the man most responsible for Liverpool's remarkable recent success.

"What Jürgen has achieved here is extraordinary," Adrian says. "Just look how we are in the league. It is so easy working with him. So easy. He's always smiling, cheerful, optimistic. He's the manager but he behaves like any another member of the team.

"Him being close to us helps us believe in his methods. He's convinced us all of his leadership and abilities by being close to us and proving that whatever is on his mind works in the end.

"Klopp usually tells us that we'll face many problems during the games, so we must be able to fix them. Any team can surprise you with a new system, for example. He's there to guide us. He visualises football very well from the sidelines and transmits this knowledge to the players in a masterful way.

"Training sessions are intense. He does his job passionately and that's exactly how we perform on the pitch. Jürgen is not only a top strategist, but also a great person. The best group management I've seen. Next to the team through thick and thin."

For Adrian, too, this has been a remarkable season. After having not played a single game last term and after a summer spent training with a friend on non-league pitches, on 5 August it was announced he would be signing for Liverpool. His Friday evening debut came four days later and then, five days after that, came the Uefa Super Cup final win over Chelsea.

In just over a week Adrian went from zero to penalty hero - and, in doing so, won the first title of his career.

The Super Cup win was celebrated in Seville as well - in Su Eminencia, the working-class neighbourhood where Adrian was raised.

"Everyone met at my parents' house - my wife, my closest friends, my in-laws. Everything happened so fast that they didn't even have the chance to fly to Turkey for the match, we couldn't arrange it. Receiving that video call and seeing tears of happiness from home was unforgettable."

Later that night in Istanbul, with almost the whole team sleeping, Liverpool's leaders made their first proper gesture to fully welcome the 'new guy at the office'.

"James [Milner] told me to take the trophy with me for the night. It took me several seconds to realise he really meant it. Who better than me, he said. So I agreed."

Adrian's brother and a close friend, the only people close to him who were able to come, were waiting in the hotel upstairs.

"Getting into the room with the Super Cup, my first title. Their faces. Awesome."

When he signed for Liverpool last summer, some Spanish media talked about Adrian as a washed-up, discarded 32-year-old. He of course did not see it this way. He resolved to do his talking on the football pitch. He just had not expected his chance to come so quickly.

"It was a moment I was hungrily waiting for. Not so soon, though," he admits.

"Fortunately, I was both mentally and physically ready. I had to see it that way. It's never pretty when a team-mate gets injured, but only one of us can play.

"Alisson is peaceful, humble and deserves every single thing he has achieved. We spend so much time together, but still I'm here to fight. I won't just sit down on the bench and wait.

"He won the Champions League and the Copa America last year. He was the best keeper in the world. But he can't relax with me around. I've proved it."

At Liverpool's Melwood training ground, the skies are darkening and the wind is howling. Adrian begins to look at the clock on the wall, then on towards the training pitches outside. He cannot take his eyes away. It is clear he is already thinking about getting back to work - his body language betrays him.

"Hey, Ali!" he shouts as Alisson walks past. They smile at each other. A few seconds later, young midfielder Curtis Jones walks through the door and gives him a fist bump.

Now the hallways are beginning to buzz. It is time to get going. There is another hard session ahead, another challenge to prepare for, more titles to target. Beyond that, Adrian has not thought about much.

"Let me enjoy the moment!" he complains in jest, laughing again.

"Football careers are over so quickly. We have to make the best of it while it lasts."
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2020 12:53:23 pm by racerx34 »
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Reply #114: Feb 25, 2020 01:45:00 am
      He must be laughing when Salah scored today.

Quick Reply