Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Adrián San Miguel (GK)

Read 74083 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Adrián San Miguel
      Reply #138: May 11, 2020 04:22:40 pm
      He wasn't fine against Chelsea or Atletico was he, unless you and I have a very different definition of fine, mine for Goalkeepers is keeping the sodding ball out of the net on easily saved shots and at least 2 of Atletico's and 1 of Chelsea's were very saveable! ;-)

That loss to Atletico still bugs the sh*t out of me, such a c**t team to lose to

I'm not arsed.Back up keeper.If he's here whenever the new season starts o.k. if he's not o.k.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #139: May 11, 2020 05:13:08 pm

I'm not arsed.Back up keeper.If he's here whenever the new season starts o.k. if he's not o.k.

You're not arsed? I am, if we had a better backup keeper then we'd have likely been wondering what will happen with our pursuit of number 7. Instead, it's completely irrelevant for us.

Nothing against Adrian but his head has gone, and when keepers lose their head with us, they become a massive liability. Karius never recovered and going by Adrian's career as a mediocre keeper throughout his career, it suggests he wont either.

Fair enough he's played his part but he's been incredibly shaky in nearly all of his games, his luck just ran out and stopped getting away with it. Yes he arguably won us the Super Cup, but it doesn't take a top class keeper to guess the right way on a penalty shootout. It's an area we need to address, it's not often they are needed as much as Adrian has been this season, but none the less, we need to have a good quality keeper who is actually suited to our style of play and that can confidently and reliably cover. It was clear the defence were losing more and more confidence with him behind them and that's a situation we can't afford to have repeated because in knockout games, the mistakes can cost you the competition and that's exactly what happened with a poor performance vs Chelsea and then Atletico. Both games he looked incredibly nervous and we paid the price with waving goodbye to the FA Cup and CL.

Wish him all the best but I hope we don't see him lining up for us again.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #140: May 11, 2020 05:15:04 pm
      He wasn't fine against Chelsea or Atletico was he, unless you and I have a very different definition of fine, mine for Goalkeepers is keeping the sodding ball out of the net on easily saved shots and at least 2 of Atletico's and 1 of Chelsea's were very saveable! ;-)

That loss to Atletico still bugs the sh*t out of me, such a c**t team to lose to

Could be worse, it could be what Karius did against Real!!

As a back up keeper he'll do
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #141: May 11, 2020 05:47:29 pm
      You're not arsed? I am, if we had a better backup keeper then we'd have likely been wondering what will happen with our pursuit of number 7. Instead, it's completely irrelevant for us.

He didn't play in the first game,in which i think, we didn't have a F***ing shot on goal but yeah scapegoat the back up keeper for our failure and not the glory boys.o.k.Until we are linked with another number one to bench sit,there's no point to  :f_wah:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #142: May 11, 2020 06:28:58 pm

He didn't play in the first game,in which i think, we didn't have a f**king shot on goal but yeah scapegoat the back up keeper for our failure and not the glory boys.o.k.Until we are linked with another number one to bench sit,there's no point to  :f_wah:

Ties aren't won in the first leg, Barca can testify to that. So it doesn't matter if we had a shot in the first game or not because that has no baring on Adrian making 2 howlers and being dogdy all game.

Not a case of being a scapegoat. Were we, or were we not in a position to progress until his 2 errors? By which point we had made amends for not having a shot in the first leg because we'd turned it around.

Why is it when a player who makes such a basic mistake gets criticised for it, it is deemed scapegoating? It's not, it's fact. Not interested in scapgoating anyone, but we had the lead, all we had to do was see it out, Virgil even told him where to play the ball but he ignored it.
      As for the "glory boys", you mean the ones that have stepped up time and time again and are a large part of the reason we have the success and superiority we have today? I think they've played their part enough to be excused not managing to break down one of the most stubborn defences on their own turf in a game that was set out to stifle them.

If you are happy for mediocre as cover then that's up to you, I'd just rather have a player who can be relied upon. After his Chelsea showing, I think anyone who says they weren't concerned about him going into the Atletico game would be lying through their teeth. And if you are happy with that mediocre then why didn't you just call for us to keep Migs or Karius? All 3 of them are a massively liability and will cost you goals and games when it matters most, and it seems people are okay with a liability as back up because he's exactly that...backup.

To play for this team you have to be able to handle pressure because the quality and demand is so high, Adrian unfortunately showed he can't handle that pressure. Not his fault, you either can or you can't. But hopefully next season Alisson will have a lot more luck with injuries and this wont even be an issue about his cover.
      « Last Edit: May 11, 2020 07:00:46 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #143: May 12, 2020 02:56:37 pm
      I misread that as "I think Adrian is already a c**t in the squad", I certainly imagine he felt like that after his last 2 games to Atletico and Chelsea!

He did an ok job at the start of the season, but if you remember he was far from a safe pair of hands and it was only when Allison came back into the team that the defence became rock solid again.

So would you keep him or Karius?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #144: May 12, 2020 04:54:15 pm
      Ties aren't won in the first leg, Barca can testify to that. So it doesn't matter if we had a shot in the first game or not because that has no baring on Adrian making 2 howlers and being dogdy all game.

Not a case of being a scapegoat. Were we, or were we not in a position to progress until his 2 errors? By which point we had made amends for not having a shot in the first leg because we'd turned it around.

Why is it when a player who makes such a basic mistake gets criticised for it, it is deemed scapegoating? It's not, it's fact. Not interested in scapgoating anyone, but we had the lead, all we had to do was see it out, Virgil even told him where to play the ball but he ignored it.
      As for the "glory boys", you mean the ones that have stepped up time and time again and are a large part of the reason we have the success and superiority we have today? I think they've played their part enough to be excused not managing to break down one of the most stubborn defences on their own turf in a game that was set out to stifle them.

If you are happy for mediocre as cover then that's up to you, I'd just rather have a player who can be relied upon. After his Chelsea showing, I think anyone who says they weren't concerned about him going into the Atletico game would be lying through their teeth. And if you are happy with that mediocre then why didn't you just call for us to keep Migs or Karius? All 3 of them are a massively liability and will cost you goals and games when it matters most, and it seems people are okay with a liability as back up because he's exactly that...backup.

To play for this team you have to be able to handle pressure because the quality and demand is so high, Adrian unfortunately showed he can't handle that pressure. Not his fault, you either can or you can't. But hopefully next season Alisson will have a lot more luck with injuries and this wont even be an issue about his cover.

Of course ya can win a tie in the first leg,good grief ? But yep over 180 minutes of  football the only thing that mattered was adrians error,so this team game is all a load of bollox. That's scapegoating,if Becker does it then what,oh well sh*t happens? back up keeper does it and ALL YOUR FAULT. as i said i'm  not arsed if he stays or goes but it wasn't one guys fault we lost that tie.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #145: May 12, 2020 05:31:14 pm
      Of course ya can win a tie in the first leg,good grief ?

That’s what Barca thought beating us 3-0 and not having to face Firmino and Salah in the return leg.

Tell me how it’s possible to win a tie in the first leg? I’d love to know how other than by winning by something like 8-0.

But yep over 180 minutes of  football the only thing that mattered was adrians error,so this team game is all a load of bollox. That's scapegoating,if Becker does it then what,oh well sh*t happens? back up keeper does it and ALL YOUR FAULT.

Ultimately it was the only thing that mattered because it was his mistake that took us from a winning position to a losing position. Enlighten me what else mattered? The rest of the team played a damn good match and were let down by the keeper, who when called upon was a disaster waiting to happen from kick off. I don’t give a sh*t who the player is, if it’s Adrian or Alisson that made them mistakes, whoever it was is accountable. Could not give the tiniest damn in the world if it’s a backup keeper or first choice keeper. Sorry to disappoint but I don’t play them games. I will criticise and a I will say how good something was regardless of the player and role in the team.

You seem to fail to grasp my question so I will ask it again. Were we, or were we not ahead and only having to see the game out at the time of Adrians mistake?

I remember after his Chelsea horror show I said about him now playing under pressure and how it could impact him and you completely dismissed it on the basis that he’d played a Super Cup Final and we had Bournemouth next. Well, we all saw what he’s like under pressure now, a very nervy and sketchy performance vs Bournemouth and then followed by a night that didn’t end well for our search of number 7.
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2020 05:49:42 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #146: May 12, 2020 06:25:05 pm
      Ah jesus can't believe i'm playing this game but hey.Look if the team had played so good we would not have gone to extra time,no? goals win games and we couldn't score in the proverbial spanish whore house over two games! 
                                                                                               And as far as winning a tie after one leg,loads, not just say battering Porto 5-0 but even say Gratz in 2004-05 won 2-0 at their place it's over.don't care they won at anfield didn't matter,we've done it loads of times,kill a tie away first leg.You could almost say we are famous for it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #147: May 12, 2020 06:37:21 pm
      Ah jesus can't believe i'm playing this game but hey.Look if the team had played so good we would not have gone to extra time,no? goals win games and we couldn't score in the proverbial spanish whore house over two games! 
                                                                                               And as far as winning a tie after one leg,loads, not just say battering Porto 5-0 but even say Gratz in 2004-05 won 2-0 at their place it's over.don't care they won at anfield didn't matter,we've done it loads of times,kill a tie away first leg.You could almost say we are famous for it.

That’s not true at all, Oblak had a damn good game, he’s the reason they managed to make it to extra time.

Good grief. A 2-0 away win deemed killing a tie, the fact they beat us in the return leg suggests it wasn’t killed as much as you may like. Also given the standard of our team back then, I’d say any game in Europe was far from killed off in the first leg.

You’ve still not answered my question so for the 3rd time; Were we, or were we not in a position to go through until his mistakes?

It’s not a difficult question to answer, or is it because until that point we had made a mends for not scoring in the first leg the reason why you won’t answer it? Bemoan this conversation all you like, maybe if you answer the question instead of making excuses then it wouldn’t have dragged on this long.

And no, we are more famous for our 2nd leg recoveries/performances at home actually, certainly this side of 2000. Olympiakos in the group stage (technically not a knockout but was the game that put us through), the win over Chelsea, think there was one vs Arsenal in there around 08, the Barca turnaround. If anything, we tend to struggle in away games in Europe so it’s no surprise we lost the first leg to Atletico...we rarely win away in Europe it seems. Can’t think of many games we’ve killed off in the first leg other than Porto.

But to be honest I’m not interest in anything from the past, I just want you to answer my question...
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2020 06:58:34 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #148: May 12, 2020 06:57:23 pm
      Good grief. A 2-0 away win deemed killing a tie, the fact they beat us in the return leg suggests it wasn’t killed as much as you may like. Also given the standard of our team back then, I’d say any game in Europe was far from killed off in the first leg.

As a supporter,ya team wins 2-0 away from home,yep i think most people would say we're thru,no?Even if we had beaten Atletico 2-0 in Madrid that would of been over for me.And i'm not answering ya question cos it seems to be annoying ya now!!mind, i think you know what the answer is.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #149: May 12, 2020 07:00:56 pm

As a supporter,ya team wins 2-0 away from home,yep i think most people would say we're thru,no?Even if we had beaten Atletico 2-0 in Madrid that would of been over for me.And i'm not answering ya question cos it seems to be annoying ya now!!mind, i think you know what the answer is.

Fans thinking a game is killed off is completely different to that actually being the case. Again something Barca can testify to.

Haha how childish can you get? That’s something I’d expect to hear from a child. But unfortunately it’s not annoying me at all, it just proves my point that you are just full of excuses because you know we had made amends and instead you would rather just be petty and instead moan about it going on this long just so you can look like a super fan or something that never criticises a player.
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2020 07:06:42 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #150: May 12, 2020 07:14:25 pm
      FFs we are F***ing fans so i'm not looking at it thru neutral eyes.  :f_wah: someone won't answer my question.Adrian is our back up keeper when he's gone he's gone,maybe we should try and sign England's number 1 Pickford ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #151: May 12, 2020 07:34:09 pm
      FFs we are f**king fans so i'm not looking at it thru neutral eyes.  :f_wah: someone won't answer my question.Adrian is our back up keeper when he's gone he's gone,maybe we should try and sign England's number 1 Pickford ?

Like I said, how childish can you get. You are just proving it even more.

You’ve clearly taken offence over the question I asked you as you were refusing to answer it and now making a meal out of it. Sorry if you didn’t like the question but seeing as it’s an Adrian thread and the question was in response to your reply to me about him, I thought it was relevant...how wrong I was. If I had know you were going to moan about this conversation but carry on deflecting and taking the childish route, I would never have asked you it.
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2020 07:48:40 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #152: May 12, 2020 08:33:47 pm

Cheers!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #153: May 13, 2020 01:08:24 am
      Could be worse, it could be what Karius did against Real!!

As a back up keeper he'll do

Still F***ing haunts me!!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #154: May 13, 2020 11:22:34 am
      Are the people insisting Adrian is good enough the same ones who were saying buying Allison was a waste of money and we should stick with Karius? If you look at most other top teams they ave far better back up keepers than us and it is important.

Ideally the backup keeper should be someone like Dean Henderson, a really good up and coming keeper who you can have as backup for a couple of seasons before they move on, hopefully netting you a tidy profit in the process.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #155: May 14, 2020 05:23:44 pm
      Are the people insisting Adrian is good enough the same ones who were saying buying Allison was a waste of money and we should stick with Karius? If you look at most other top teams they ave far better back up keepers than us and it is important.

Ideally the backup keeper should be someone like Dean Henderson, a really good up and coming keeper who you can have as backup for a couple of seasons before they move on, hopefully netting you a tidy profit in the process.

Hindsight is a fabulous thing isn't it!!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #156: May 14, 2020 05:43:27 pm
      We got more out of him than anyone would of thought looking at record in the past. Feel good story for a guy who went from being unemployed to playing for European and future Premiership champion. I would never believe we would be in the position we are with Adrian playing quarter of the season but we did (some might believe it was despite him but I think he been decent for us and deserves some credit).

We could do better than him though back-up keeper but tough role to fill as you know you will be sitting 90 percent of the time. Seems why teams find it easier to get older keeper as younger one won't really develop if they are playing handful of games.

I think we have more pressing needs in the market (pacey attacker, left back, centre back) so if we had to put up with Adrian as back up again I would be fine with it.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #157: May 14, 2020 05:54:05 pm
      I'm fine with him as a backup for now, especially if Klopp feels that way as he'll know more than anyone on here.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #158: May 15, 2020 09:49:04 am
      Hindsight is a fabulous thing isn't it!!

so is foresight, most sensible people knew we had to upgrade on Karius, I was one of the most vocal advocates of that and yes I guess I and all the others were proven right :-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #159: May 15, 2020 10:06:38 am
      We got more out of him than anyone would of thought looking at record in the past. Feel good story for a guy who went from being unemployed to playing for European and future Premiership champion. I would never believe we would be in the position we are with Adrian playing quarter of the season but we did (some might believe it was despite him but I think he been decent for us and deserves some credit).

We could do better than him though back-up keeper but tough role to fill as you know you will be sitting 90 percent of the time. Seems why teams find it easier to get older keeper as younger one won't really develop if they are playing handful of games.

I think we have more pressing needs in the market (pacey attacker, left back, centre back) so if we had to put up with Adrian as back up again I would be fine with it.

So you'd be fine with us crashing out of FA Cup and CL due to keeper errors again, well I'm not and its weird how other top teams have no problems having two top class GK's or at least a much much better backup than we've ever had. As we have seen having a an average to poor backup GK can cost you very dear.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #160: May 15, 2020 03:53:30 pm
      So you'd be fine with us crashing out of FA Cup and CL due to keeper errors again, well I'm not and its weird how other top teams have no problems having two top class GK's or at least a much much better backup than we've ever had. As we have seen having a an average to poor backup GK can cost you very dear.

No I am not fine with it but it happens and don't make it out like his errors were the only reason we crashed out of those cup competition, if we had better finishing we wouldn't been in the situation of extra time in the Champions League and FA Cup game we really didn't play well in general.

I think the fact he held the fort down while Alisson was hurt and played his part in super cup show he is a good enough back-up. I just think there is more pressing issues within the squad that investing in will benefit the team more than spending on cash on back-up keeper who be lucky to play 10 games a season.

Quick Reply