Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Adrián San Miguel (GK)

Read 74058 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Adrián San Miguel
      Reply #161: May 16, 2020 08:44:29 am
      No I am not fine with it but it happens and don't make it out like his errors were the only reason we crashed out of those cup competition, if we had better finishing we wouldn't been in the situation of extra time in the Champions League and FA Cup game we really didn't play well in general.

I think the fact he held the fort down while Alisson was hurt and played his part in super cup show he is a good enough back-up. I just think there is more pressing issues within the squad that investing in will benefit the team more than spending on cash on back-up keeper who be lucky to play 10 games a season.

Oh I'm sorry so its the forwards who let a ball slip through their hands against Chelsea or who kicked the ball to an Atletico player when we were fully in control of the match in extra time and then let in two more fairly soft goals in after that was it?  Using your argument no goalie is ever guilty of losing a match because its the bloody forwards who should have scored more goals, what a lovely get out clause for Keepers!

BTW we have competition for places in all areas of the pitch, why not goalkeeper? For example do you not think that if Dean Henderson had stayed at Man Utd this season he would have got games when De Gea was going through his wobbly patch, I'm fairly certain he would and that's how reserve goalies get their chance to break through. If they can't break through then they are learning their trade with the best and can move on in a few years time, but I'd much rather have a really promising young keeper as reserve than some over the hill "experienced" keeper just in it for a final pay day.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: May 16, 2020 10:45:27 am
      if Dean Henderson had stayed at Man Utd

We have a better first choice keeper than the Mancs. But the backup options they could have next season or this season if Henderson had stayed is far better than ours. Unfortunately Romero and Henderson as back up options is significantly better than us having Adrian and Lonergan. It’s the one area of the squad they are actually in front of us.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #163: May 16, 2020 11:14:36 am
      We have a better first choice keeper than the Mancs. But the backup options they could have next season or this season if Henderson had stayed is far better than ours. Unfortunately Romero and Henderson as back up options is significantly better than us having Adrian and Lonergan. It’s the one area of the squad they are actually in front of us.

Spot on, that's the point I'm making, we need a decent reserve keeper, all top teams do, its been a weakness of ours for as long as I can remember
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #164: May 16, 2020 03:33:40 pm
      Oh I'm sorry so its the forwards who let a ball slip through their hands against Chelsea or who kicked the ball to an Atletico player when we were fully in control of the match in extra time and then let in two more fairly soft goals in after that was it?  Using your argument no goalie is ever guilty of losing a match because its the bloody forwards who should have scored more goals, what a lovely get out clause for Keepers!

What are you rambling on about? My point was he wasn't only one to blame for those results, not to deflect all the blame off Adrian who did make those errors.

BTW we have competition for places in all areas of the pitch, why not goalkeeper? For example do you not think that if Dean Henderson had stayed at Man Utd this season he would have got games when De Gea was going through his wobbly patch, I'm fairly certain he would and that's how reserve goalies get their chance to break through. If they can't break through then they are learning their trade with the best and can move on in a few years time, but I'd much rather have a really promising young keeper as reserve than some over the hill "experienced" keeper just in it for a final pay day.

I agree with competition but goalkeeper is unique position because you don't rotate or sub in keeper to get minutes. It is tough to break through because most situation (like ours) we have a number 1 keeper set in stone.

Your example proves a point I made about young keepers not developing as back-up. if Dean Henderson stayed at Manure he would be 3rd string behind De Gea and Romero, playing PL2 and sitting on the bench for Europa League games. He would of never played enough to show how good he was, just waste away on the bench. Keepers know this which is why unless you throw a boat load of cash they are going to stay away from keeper situation where side already have established number one. Hence why most teams have older keeper who content with sitting on bench and collecting decent wages.

I look over Adrian whole body of work over the season I think he is decent back-up, there is better but I just don't think pressing need. If we fill up other needs then buy another keeper would be good but I would be disappointed if we didn't buy forward, left back or centre back but spent money on back up keeper.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #165: Sep 25, 2020 01:57:52 pm
      Not sure I rate him higher then Karius after seeing him again last night.

Hes good at coming off the line in one v one situations but my God hes shakin stevens on crosses.

I long for the day a keeper like Pat Jennings comes back.Ball into the box thats mine im cstching it any if anyone gets in the way ill catch them to
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #166: Sep 25, 2020 02:21:53 pm
      Not sure I rate him higher then Karius after seeing him again last night.

I don't Bri but I know I'm in the minority.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #167: Sep 25, 2020 02:30:55 pm
      I don't Bri but I know I'm in the minority.

You think Karius is better of the 2?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #168: Sep 25, 2020 03:27:26 pm

I actually believe so! I said it after Atl. Madrid game and many jumped on me. I really hope that we won't see him neaar the starting XI.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #169: Sep 25, 2020 03:41:06 pm

For sure. Much better looking.  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #170: Sep 25, 2020 03:41:16 pm

I do mate.

I think he's just as good a shot stopper but better coming off his line and with the ball at his feet.

I know he made huge errors in what was the biggest game we had under Jürgen at the time but still think he's a better keeper than he gets credit for.

Kopite78
      Reply #171: Sep 25, 2020 04:10:22 pm
      I'm not gay but if I was and I was getting roasted by the two I suppose I'd rather have Adrián up me arse like.

I may be over thinking this.

I think that's safe to say 👬🍆🍑
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #172: Oct 02, 2020 08:59:08 am
      Unlucky with last peno or should be saving it?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #173: Oct 02, 2020 09:06:53 am
      Unlucky with last peno or should be saving it?

Adrian was excellent last night it would be very harsh to criticise him especially given he saved one.

Divock and Harry are more to blame for their lazy penos.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #174: Oct 02, 2020 09:20:05 am
      Adrian was excellent last night it would be very harsh to criticise him especially given he saved one.

Divock and Harry are more to blame for their lazy penos.

Kast one went under his arm which is why I asked the question....not blaming him at all
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #175: Oct 02, 2020 09:33:06 am
      Kast one went under his arm which is why I asked the question....not blaming him at all

Think it was hit very low with pace to the corner which are always hard for keepers to get to the ground. I'd say he was more unlucky.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #176: Oct 02, 2020 12:28:08 pm
      Good game last night overall.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #177: Oct 04, 2020 09:32:44 pm
      Ok shot stopper.

Rubbish in very other area of goalkeeping.

Cost us a CL run. Not a good enough no.2.

Needs to go.

noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #178: Oct 04, 2020 09:35:20 pm
      Not good enough full stop, not commanding or assertive
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #179: Oct 04, 2020 09:37:17 pm
      Shouldve been binned after champions league howler TBH.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #180: Oct 04, 2020 09:48:24 pm
      F**k I hope Ali is back after the Internationals. Don’t want Adrian up against the Bitters. Could be hit for another F***ing 7. Think he only tried the sweeper play once in the whole F***ing match. Put us right on the back foot from the 4th minute and we were fu**ed for the rest of the night! 3 deflections doesn’t help either!
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #181: Oct 04, 2020 10:07:34 pm
      Probably one of the worse keepers we've ever had  :f_wah: I really do feel for him though, Alisson's are very big shoes to fill. I honestly don't think we'd have lost so heavily tonight if Alisson was in goal, he just  doesn't fill me with confidence and a keeper has to have confidence, you saw the back 4 just didn't want to give him the ball, he's had enough chances now and I think it's time for us to replace him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #182: Oct 04, 2020 10:11:54 pm
      Alarm bells should have been ringing when West Ham let him go on a free and got that sh*te Roberto lad. F***ing West Ham.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #183: Oct 04, 2020 10:12:55 pm
      Probably the only mistake Edwards has made.

Quick Reply