Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Adrián San Miguel (GK)

Read 74057 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Adrián San Miguel
      Reply #207: Oct 05, 2020 05:47:04 pm
      Agreed.

Defeat not down to him.  He's a better keeper than Jordan Pickford and they're top.

Totally unprotected by the players in front of him and I don't expect Liverpool to face 18 shots in any football game.

It's funny laughing at Pickford but there's a massive difference between the two. Pickford is far better.

Adrian had a couple of decent games at the start and looked solid (but even then I remember his third game at Southampton where he gifted one goal to Ings and should have been punished twice) and after that he's been dreadful. Error after error, costing goal after goal.

Of course there'll be a drop off when your number two comes in but it simply can't be this big. I'm not expecting shot stopping like the world's best but we need someone more solid than Adrian who's more comfortable playing in our system.

One more month of Adrian will cause severe damage to our domestic and European hopes.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #208: Oct 05, 2020 06:37:41 pm
      Actually, tbh people better hope Adrian doesn't get injured, because Kelleher is next up, and he is NOwhere near ready.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #209: Oct 05, 2020 06:47:54 pm
      Actually, tbh people better hope Adrian doesn't get injured, because Kelleher is next up, and he is NOwhere near ready.

Whats worse is we literally let Grabara out on loan again about 2 weeks ago. I rate him higher than Kelleher and won't be any worse than Adrian.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #210: Oct 06, 2020 12:22:35 am
      He's a good back-up keeper, but I noticed once he commits a mistake you might as well sub him off because he is gone for the game.

To be fair, nobody worked after the first goal other than Robbo, Mo and maybe Keita. It's hard to come back it into when the whole team just throws in the towel after you make a mistake.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #211: Oct 06, 2020 04:01:26 am
      People have focused in on Villas opening goal and Adrian has taken the blame but it’s actually a little unfair. There were several mistakes.

1. Robertson was under pressure. He should have just cleared the ball with his right foot down the line.

2. Once Robertson received the ball, VVD should have gave him an option, he never did.

3. The pass back to Adrian from Robertson was shocking. Fizzed in to him at waist height on a wet pitch, immediately putting him under pressure.

4. Adrian should have just got rid. Put the ball into the stands if you have too. But he tried to play out and the pass was sh*te.

5. Gomez didn’t exactly help with the pass. He could have been on his toes and more alert. Then, when the ball passed him and grealish picks it up, he hesitates and backs off, instead of closing him and giving him no space.

So yes, Adrian was at fault for the first goal but three others played a part there. I was more concerned about how easily the goals went in. Deflections or not, they seemed to beat Adrian with ease and I’m absolutely certain had Alison been in goal then he stops 4 or 5 of them.

Adrian has actually made numerous mistakes for us but because we were still winning games, they went unnoticed or were quickly forgotten about.

I have a soft spot for Adrian. He’s quite clearly a nice bloke, a good professional but sadly he isn’t good enough, even as a number 2.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #212: Oct 06, 2020 04:32:52 am
      It is really unfair to single him out. The attitude of the whole team after his mistake (or maybe even before) was just not there, to say the least.

Off day for everybody and we'll be hoping the intl break can help those who won't be on duty to get some energies and hunger back, and those on duty to give them a change of air and some hunger on their way back.

Shocking game from everyone really
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #213: Oct 06, 2020 12:11:39 pm
      Said it once and i'll say it until i'm blue in the face. Karius is a better goalkeeper than Adrian. Unfortunately Klopp knows it would be suicidal to play Karius again because if he made any type of mistake there would be absolute carnage from the fans.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #214: Oct 06, 2020 12:38:13 pm
      Spend the int break making him use his hands to save and not just his body and a sh*te load of work with the ball at his feet  working clearances under pressure
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #215: Oct 06, 2020 12:40:32 pm
      Actually id love to see stats on his saves ratio body to hands.....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #216: Oct 06, 2020 01:41:02 pm
      It is really unfair to single him out. The attitude of the whole team after his mistake (or maybe even before) was just not there, to say the least.

Finding it a little bit uncomfortable myself.  Most of us on here have never seen Liverpool concede seven but there was no way it was down to the keeper.  Looks like he is going to take the wrap for it but if you take a cold hard look at the game he cost us one and then arguably saved us one from that Watkins one v one.  We conceded 18 shots FFS.

If he had thrown five goals into his net then I think some of the comments would be justified but in this particular game he didn't.  As for the comments saying he would destroy our league season then I think that's a little bit overblown.  He didn't last season when we won our first 8 games or something with him in goal.

If anything's going to destroy our league season it's the 10 players in front of him thinking this football business is a walk in the park.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #217: Oct 06, 2020 01:47:19 pm
      Finding it a little bit uncomfortable myself.  Most of us on here have never seen Liverpool concede seven but there was no way it was down to the keeper.  Looks like he is going to take the wrap for it but if you take a cold hard look at the game he cost us one and then arguably saved us one from that Watkins one v one.  We conceded 18 shots FFS.

If he had thrown five goals into his net then I think some of the comments would be justified but in this particular game he didn't.  As for the comments saying he would destroy our league season then I think that's a little bit overblown. He didn't last season when we won our first 8 games or something with him in goal.

If anything's going to destroy our league season it's the 10 players in front of him thinking this football business is a walk in the park.

He made plenty of mistakes last season that were brushed off because we were doing well and still winning those games. We won the league so far ahead of the pack that we could have won it with me in goal but this year the race may be a lot tighter and he may be the difference between 1st and 2nd place. We'll see as the season plays out. He did single handedly end our CL season, however.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #218: Oct 06, 2020 02:00:54 pm
      There must be a better keeper in the championship we can get before window closes.
      Kopite78
      Reply #219: Oct 06, 2020 02:09:54 pm
      There must be a better keeper in the championship we can get before window closes.

Windows closed
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #220: Oct 06, 2020 03:40:11 pm

I thought we could still recruit from EPL as utd are still in for Sarr as he's at watford.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #221: Oct 06, 2020 03:41:13 pm
      You’re as good as your last game. It’s so true. When we went unbeaten with him in the beginning of last season, many of us thought we couldn’t have a better number two. Compared to Migs and Kairus, he was the trusted number two. Fast forward to our last CL match and the Villa game, some of us now want him out.

Looks like there’s no long term in football. Only your last match.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #222: Oct 06, 2020 03:51:06 pm
      You’re as good as your last game. It’s so true. When we went unbeaten with him in the beginning of last season, many of us thought we couldn’t have a better number two. Compared to Migs and Kairus, he was the trusted number two. Fast forward to our last CL match and the Villa game, some of us now want him out.

Looks like there’s no long term in football. Only your last match.

It's not just his last match. When he first came here he played really well despite some mistakes here and there, and when he made an error it wasn't costing us games, so he deserved the praise. He then slowly but surely kept getting worse and worse and mistakes started costing us games with the CL being the elephant in the room. We are now seeing why he was unemployed when we got him.
      Kopite78
      Reply #223: Oct 06, 2020 03:53:48 pm
      I thought we could still recruit from EPL as utd are still in for Sarr as he's at watford.

No. Windows shut for PL clubs
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #224: Oct 06, 2020 04:43:08 pm
      I known very little about GK but re Adrian against Aston Villa, as JD mentioned above, we conceded too much shots on goal. The whole team performed badly and players chnage/tactic adjustment seemed strangely fail to improve us.
      Adrian of course played big part in the defeated.I think his poor distribution ability and lack of leadership are the main reasons.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #225: Oct 06, 2020 04:57:59 pm
      It's his distribution that's the worry. In our way of playing if you can't trust your keeper with the ball at his feet then thats a problem.

Hes also going through a crisis of confidence and has been since a few games before Atletico.

Lots of mistakes in his game that will cost us goals but hopefully not points in the coming weeks.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #226: Oct 06, 2020 05:00:10 pm
      It's his distribution that's the worry. In our way of playing if you can't trust your keeper with the ball at his feet then thats a problem.

Hes also going through a crisis of confidence and has been since a few games before Atletico.

Lots of mistakes in his game that will cost us goals but hopefully not points in the coming weeks.

Distribution & positioning has me worried..
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #227: Oct 06, 2020 10:50:43 pm

October 16th apparently.
      Kopite78
      Reply #228: Oct 06, 2020 11:26:21 pm

Well you learn something new every day

However, no chance we sign on by then not the clubs style
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #229: Oct 07, 2020 03:18:13 am
      Distribution & positioning has me worried..

Also the fact that he doesn't seem comfortable coming out and being that sweeper keeper like Ali. He seems very hesitant to leave his box.

Quick Reply