Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Norwich?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      7 (6.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (3.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      8 (7.8%)
       Fabinho
      7 (6.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      40 (39.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      15 (14.7%)
      Divock Origi
      20 (19.6%)
       Adrián
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Aug 13, 2019 09:57:00 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Norwich City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 35976 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Norwich City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Aug 10, 2019 03:52:02 pm
      Yep but I bet Adrian cant believe his luck! First appearance in our first game and Super Cup final for him already. Surely he couldnt have imagined this last week when he was training with a Spanish 2nd tier team for the Summer!

For what it's worth I dont think hes any better than Mignolet but hes a #2 and he doesn't need to be. The club made good money on the deal, so a no brainer really.

With Kelleher still out, who is likely to be on the bench on Wednesday if Adrian were to get an injury?

Klopp said last night it will be Kelleher (he's back training). Some paper talk this morning that we might sign Lonergan after all. Not sure about registration rules.

Mentioned on the other thread, but I'm sure we have been in touch with Adrian since before last week. We didn't just have everything develop over a day or so with Simon leaving and him arriving.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #346: Aug 10, 2019 04:50:54 pm
      Yep but I bet Adrian cant believe his luck! First appearance in our first game and Super Cup final for him already. Surely he couldnt have imagined this last week when he was training with a Spanish 2nd tier team for the Summer!

For what it's worth I dont think hes any better than Mignolet but hes a #2 and he doesn't need to be. The club made good money on the deal, so a no brainer really.

With Kelleher still out, who is likely to be on the bench on Wednesday if Adrian were to get an injury?

Adrian will be plenty good enough to hold us over. It’s not like we’re going from Alisson to some fat F**k off the street. One thing Adrian seems to do better than Migs is with his feet and overall distribution.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #347: Aug 10, 2019 05:43:33 pm
      F***ing knew we needed more than a+3.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #348: Aug 10, 2019 06:12:40 pm
      Don't know what everyone's crying for, apart from Alisson, I thought we looked aright. Battered them into submission in the first half, you just knew they would make doubly sure they didn't concede in the second.

Plus Salah, Bobby and Mane all look like they are firing from the off which is good.

Next up the rent boys in Istanbul.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #349: Aug 10, 2019 08:28:45 pm
      Don't know what everyone's crying for, apart from Alisson, I thought we looked aright. Battered them into submission in the first half, you just knew they would make doubly sure they didn't concede in the second.

Plus Salah, Bobby and Mane all look like they are firing from the off which is good.

Too F***ing right!
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #350: Aug 10, 2019 10:36:51 pm
      Adrians stats could read played 144 minutes . 1 European Super Cup Winners medal, now thats some Liverpool career ,no.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #351: Aug 11, 2019 05:55:25 pm
      Bit late I know but I gave my MOTM to our captain. Hendo looked full of energy and looked to get forward for most of the game. I think if he's fit it has to be him and Fabinho in that midfield with either one of Keita or Ox going forward.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #352: Aug 11, 2019 05:59:03 pm
      Bit late I know but I gave my MOTM to our captain. Hendo looked full of energy and looked to get forward for most of the game. I think if he's fit it has to be him and Fabinho in that midfield with either one of Keita or Ox going forward.

Watch his nutmeg again, quick look up, drive forwards and release Firmino.

Then look again and see whose run drags the defender away and leaves Firmino in acres of space.

Henderson was good yesterday, no doubt, but it was Wijnaldums tireless running which opened up space for him and others to exploit.a
      Doing the grunt work like that is a thankless task, but both Henderson and Wijnaldum do it well.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #353: Aug 11, 2019 07:01:30 pm

Simple. Some of us, not referring to you, are so afraid of City that:

1) "Divock is not good enough, he should've been upgraded to someone better." "I don't trust Divock Origi to deliver."
      2) "Adrian is not good enough. The drop in quality is too great. No clean sheet. Can't rely on someone released by his club".
      3) "The score line is not good enough." Conceded a goal to a newly promoted side? Sloppy. 4 goals is not good enough. City destoryed West Ham. To properly compete, it should've been 8-0. Not 4-1.
      4) "not entertaining enough". Should've gone all out attack. We seem to switch off after taking the lead. "Not allowed to slow down the game."
      5) Klopp is "crazy not to strengthen this summer." We've the money and players like Nicolas Pepe WANT to come to us. "Waiting to blame him" for failing to deliver number 19.
      6) Jordan is the backpass master. Too negative.

To sum up, this sort of play is not enough and "we don't have the squad to compete with City" who are "miles and miles ahead of us". We'll "not win it again" if we "do not improve massively". "It's Klopp's fault for everything."

In short, everything about us is "not good enough" compared to City until 19 is delivered. And oh yes. Must do it in style. Sloppy boring 1-0 wins are unacceptable.

Some fans are either hard to please or afraid or maybe just love talking down on the club. No doubt these views are valid, they're really negative and brings down the the mood for a good win. I rest my case.  >:(
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #354: Aug 11, 2019 07:38:45 pm
      Watch his nutmeg again, quick look up, drive forwards and release Firmino.

Then look again and see whose run drags the defender away and leaves Firmino in acres of space.

Henderson was good yesterday, no doubt, but it was Wijnaldums tireless running which opened up space for him and others to exploit.a
      Doing the grunt work like that is a thankless task, but both Henderson and Wijnaldum do it well.

I rewatched last night and failed to find the awful version of Wijnaldum that I've been reading about on here. He played an important role in the win.

Now there is a defensive issue with the midfield that I can't quite pinpoint because I'm not always sure whose responsibility which runner is, but I thought all three mids contributed to the win, especially in the first 60 minutes.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #355: Aug 11, 2019 11:06:57 pm
      I rewatched last night and failed to find the awful version of Wijnaldum that I've been reading about on here. He played an important role in the win.

Now there is a defensive issue with the midfield that I can't quite pinpoint because I'm not always sure whose responsibility which runner is, but I thought all three mids contributed to the win, especially in the first 60 minutes.

Wijnaldum was OK.
      Not at his best, but far from poor.

The defensive thing is teams finding different patterns and overloads to target TAA.
      Second half, we pushed them onto our left a lot more, and upset their patterns by getting the midfield 3 a bit flatter, and closer to CB's, one of who (Gomez) was a bit sketchy with his positioning at times. Nothing major, just stepping up when he should have dropped back, and vice versa, not by much, but enough.
      No worries, just early season wrinkles to iron out.

We adjusted, and we'll need to do more of that this season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #356: Aug 12, 2019 01:09:40 am
      1st one out of the way, 37 more W's please!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #357: Aug 12, 2019 12:45:36 pm
      Positives: Scored four, create a couple more clear cut chances, dominated game and all without (for me) our current best player Mane in the starting line up.

Negatives: Took our foot off the gas second half, conceded a goal that should have been snuffed out in midfield earlier and Allison injury.

Overall, great opening performance for me and we could have had a few more in second half if we kept up the same pressure. Very encouraging. We don't care what the other teams do, we only focus on destroying teams in front of us, so I won't let the City result dampen the cracking victory on Friday. Great work lads.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #358: Aug 12, 2019 02:33:14 pm
      We needed to get an emphatic win a bring home 3 points. Seems like we done that?

Sucks about Allison, but everyone was so concerned about our LB and Striking depth, no one thought we might have to worry about our keeper depth ;D
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #359: Aug 12, 2019 04:06:16 pm
      Well i enjoyed it,game over after 20 minutes,chatting footy with a NYC Carraghers red and her West Ham boyfriend,good afternoon.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #360: Aug 13, 2019 01:29:03 pm
      It was a very entertaining game for the neutrals.

Would have liked to see us press on in the 2nd half and get a couple more goals.

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #361: Aug 13, 2019 08:38:26 pm
      Quote from ruthcity
      Simple. Some of us, not referring to you, are so afraid of City that:

"Divock is not good enough, he should've been upgraded to someone better." "I don't trust Divock Origi to deliver." 
       "The score line is not good enough." Conceded a goal to a newly promoted side? Sloppy. 4 goals is not good enough. City destoryed West Ham. To properly compete, it should've been 8-0. Not 4-1.
      4) "not entertaining enough". Should've gone all out attack. We seem to switch off after taking the lead. "Not allowed to slow down the game."

Divock is great at getting one chance and taking it. So was Sturridge. He's a finisher. That's fine if that's all you want your forward to do. If you want him to harry and press opponents like e.g. Firmino does, he can't do it. His passing to teammates is average and he frequently gives possession away cheaply. Therefore he sits on the bench and is mainly confined to a bit part role. 

4-0 up at half time, saw the usual snooze after the break. It's the one negative to having a 3/4 goal halftime lead. When City lead 4-0 at the break, they go on and score another few in the second half. In one case last year, they put 9 past the opposition. By contrast we put the brakes on, as the focus switches to "respecting the opposition" than "racking up the goals for column". As if we have to apologise to them for their incompetence.

Now it's off to Istanbul and our first experience of women referees. But hopefully it's not the only time we go there looking to win a trophy this season.

Quick Reply